Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Olympics: Football

Read 35545 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Olympics: Football
      Apr 24, 2012 12:45:46 pm
      Men's Olympic Tournament 2012

GROUP A
      GREAT BRITAIN
      SENEGAL
      UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
      URUGUAY

GROUP B
      MEXICO
      SOUTH KOREA
      GABON
      SWITZERLAND

GROUP C
      BRAZIL
      EGYPT
      BELARUS
      NEW ZEALAND

GROUP D
      SPAIN
      JAPAN
      HONDURAS
      MOROCCO

Women's Olympic Tournament 2012

GROUP E
      GREAT BRITAIN
      NEW ZEALAND
      CAMEROON
      BRAZIL

GROUP F
      JAPAN
      CANADA
      SWEDEN
      SOUTH AFRICA

GROUP G
      UNITED STATES
      FRANCE
      COLOMBIA
      SOUTH KOREA

Does it mean Suarez/Coates can actually get called for this?
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2012 06:02:53 pm by Reslivo »
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: London 2012 Olympics - Football
      Reply #1: Apr 24, 2012 12:48:58 pm
      Does it mean Suarez/Coates can actually get called for this?

Yes it does. Suarez could be one of the 3 players over the age of 23 that each country is allowed.

I hope Lucas isn't called up by Brazil because I want him fresh for the new season once he is fit to play, all being well.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #2: Apr 24, 2012 12:49:49 pm
      How are the teams chosen by the way?

I never got the idea how teams qualify for the Olympics ...
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #3: Apr 24, 2012 12:53:10 pm

I'm not sure to be honest. I think Great Britain has its place automatically as hosts and I know that Senegal beat Oman last night in a play-off match. That can't have been the only play-off game, though. There must have been others.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #4: Apr 24, 2012 12:54:34 pm

Seems every National committee like CONCACAF, UEFA, CONMEBOL, etc held their own qualifying tournaments to determine which teams advanced.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #5: Apr 24, 2012 01:09:58 pm
      Apparently the Youth Championships and qualifying rounds determine who qualifies for the Olympics. After some research ...

Host - Great Britain

Asian Football Confederation's Pre-Olympic Tournament - South Korea, UAE and Japan won their groups.
      Runners up play each other and Oman came out top to play in play-off (against Senegal).

2011 CAF U-23 Championship - Gabon (winners), Morocco (runners-up) and Egypt (3rd place) qualified.
      Senegal (4th) qualified by beating Oman.

2012 CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying Tournament - Mexico (winners), Honduras (runner's up) qualified.

2011 South American Youth Championship - Brazil (winners), Uruguay (runner's up) qualified.

2012 OFC Men's Pre-Olympic Football Tournament - New Zealand (winners) qualified.

2011 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship - Spain (winners), Switzerland (runner's up) and Belarus (3rd place) qualified.

Should have allowed Argentina to defend their title at least!!!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #6: Apr 24, 2012 02:09:41 pm
      Apparently the Youth Championships and qualifying rounds determine who qualifies for the Olympics. After some research ...

Host - Great Britain

Asian Football Confederation's Pre-Olympic Tournament - South Korea, UAE and Japan won their groups.
      Runners up play each other and Oman came out top to play in play-off (against Senegal).

2011 CAF U-23 Championship - Gabon (winners), Morocco (runners-up) and Egypt (3rd place) qualified.
      Senegal (4th) qualified by beating Oman.

2012 CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying Tournament - Mexico (winners), Honduras (runner's up) qualified.

2011 South American Youth Championship - Brazil (winners), Uruguay (runner's up) qualified.

2012 OFC Men's Pre-Olympic Football Tournament - New Zealand (winners) qualified.

2011 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship - Spain (winners), Switzerland (runner's up) and Belarus (3rd place) qualified.

Should have allowed Argentina to defend their title at least!!!

So it turns out that Senegal vs Oman was the only play-off game.

+1 for your research.  :gt-happyup:
      LFCexiled
      Reply #7: Apr 24, 2012 02:15:01 pm
      I wouldn't have minded Uruguay getting France so Luis' team mates could've kicked lumps out of evra.

I heard the other day the the old soak from old bumhole has been complaining because 10 of his squad have been called up. Also 5 of his kids have been called up for the U19s tournament. How very, very dare they.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #8: Apr 24, 2012 02:49:07 pm
      Bad group for us! Never like facing the local team.
      That said, i think we will murder you guys  ;D
      Coates WILL play, since FIFA has made clear all U23 called up must be allowed to play by their teams. It will do him a world of good since he is not getting many minutes.
      As for Suarez, its up to Tabarez to decide.
      Most likely, Cavani, Forlan, Suarez Perez , Lugano and Caceres (3 of them) will be selected.

Id go with suarez, since he is a "local player", Perez (he is the heart of our team, and an unsung hero), Caceres (who can play all four defensive positions) or Cavani. But im sure Forlan will be called up since its his last chance to play in the Olympics.

Uruguay get to the Olympics undefeated, having won the only two tournaments where we played in 1924 and 1928. And back then it was considered a World Cup (since FIFa organized it untill they could stage one their own), thats why they let us organize the first WC in 1930.

Its the only title Btazil dont have, so they will be taking it very, very seriously, and so will we, to defend national pride.

Uruguay will probably feature Abel Hernadez (Palermo), Gaston Ramirez( Bologna), Seb Coates (Liverpool), Tabare Viudez (Nacional), David Texeira (Groenigen), Nicolas Lodeiro (Ajax), Matias Mier (Universidad Catolica). Those are probably our best prospects

Bier
      Reply #9: Apr 24, 2012 02:58:27 pm
      I actually don't mind my country isn't even in this. Euro 2012 is bad enough for season preparations, but the Olympics makes it even worse. And I've always thought the 3 player dispensation rule is a bit ridiculous.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #10: Apr 24, 2012 03:46:22 pm
      Im still pissed that the US fu**ed up and missed out.  We hardly ever get a chance to play in Europe and we completely fu**ed it up. Say what you want about Olympic Football but, its still a good warm up for the young national players to get some exposure and playing time before the WC.

Biggest surprise! The Dutch aren't playing.  They were WC runner ups, how did they not qualify?
      Bier
      Reply #11: Apr 24, 2012 04:27:26 pm
      Biggest surprise! The Dutch aren't playing.  They were WC runner ups, how did they not qualify?
      The under 21 national team isn't the same as the actual national team. We produce talented players, but youth teams fluctuate each season. We didn't even qualify for that under 21 European Championship through which we had to qualify for the Olympics. We ended first in our qualifying group, with Spain, the later tournament winner, ending 2nd in the same group. But there was one last play off round after that over 2 legs against Ukraine. Went into it too complacent, blew it at our home game losing 1-3. Won 2-0 away after that, but wasn't enough to make up for it.

But like I said, I don't really mind. When it comes to purely football I'm more interested in the under 21 European Championship next year and the under 20 World Cup next year than the Olympics. It's hard for me to understand what use the current football set up at the Olympics has, I think it's more a nuisance to football right now than a positive addition.
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2012 05:24:03 pm by Bier »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8514 
      Reply #12: Apr 24, 2012 06:33:38 pm
      Bad group for us! Never like facing the local team.
      That said, i think we will murder you guys  ;D
      Coates WILL play, since FIFA has made clear all U23 called up must be allowed to play by their teams. It will do him a world of good since he is not getting many minutes.
      As for Suarez, its up to Tabarez to decide.
      Most likely, Cavani, Forlan, Suarez Perez , Lugano and Caceres (3 of them) will be selected.

Id go with suarez, since he is a "local player", Perez (he is the heart of our team, and an unsung hero), Caceres (who can play all four defensive positions) or Cavani. But im sure Forlan will be called up since its his last chance to play in the Olympics.

Uruguay get to the Olympics undefeated, having won the only two tournaments where we played in 1924 and 1928. And back then it was considered a World Cup (since FIFa organized it untill they could stage one their own), thats why they let us organize the first WC in 1930.

Its the only title Btazil dont have, so they will be taking it very, very seriously, and so will we, to defend national pride.

Uruguay will probably feature Abel Hernadez (Palermo), Gaston Ramirez( Bologna), Seb Coates (Liverpool), Tabare Viudez (Nacional), David Texeira (Groenigen), Nicolas Lodeiro (Ajax), Matias Mier (Universidad Catolica). Those are probably our best prospects

Ha ha ha I know who I'm suppporting in the Olympics footie.

Uru-guay, Uru-guay, Uru-guay!!!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,247 posts | 2799 
      Reply #13: Apr 24, 2012 08:48:33 pm
      Got tickets to the final of the men's section, hope to see Uruguay and Brazil there!
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Apr 24, 2012 09:07:56 pm
      Im still pissed that the US fu**ed up and missed out.  We hardly ever get a chance to play in Europe and we completely fu**ed it up. Say what you want about Olympic Football but, its still a good warm up for the young national players to get some exposure and playing time before the WC.

The US U-23 team is so much better than any of the others in CONCACAF at that level. Tons of talent. They bottled it, though.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #15: Apr 24, 2012 09:56:11 pm
      Do you know the dates each team are playing? I'm at Wembley on the 4th of August
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #16: Apr 25, 2012 09:42:11 pm
      The under 21 national team isn't the same as the actual national team. We produce talented players, but youth teams fluctuate each season. We didn't even qualify for that under 21 European Championship through which we had to qualify for the Olympics. We ended first in our qualifying group, with Spain, the later tournament winner, ending 2nd in the same group. But there was one last play off round after that over 2 legs against Ukraine. Went into it too complacent, blew it at our home game losing 1-3. Won 2-0 away after that, but wasn't enough to make up for it.

But like I said, I don't really mind. When it comes to purely football I'm more interested in the under 21 European Championship next year and the under 20 World Cup next year than the Olympics. It's hard for me to understand what use the current football set up at the Olympics has, I think it's more a nuisance to football right now than a positive addition.
      I dont understand why they wont allow the "Real" National teams to play. The Olympics are supposed to be a representation of the Best athletes, from every nation competing in their sport. Whether its an 18 year old or a 30 year old. Whether they are a Pro or an Amature.

Olympic Basketball allows any player regardless of age or status, except for the US team has a roster of conceited, arrogant assholes who wont go unless their paid.  f***in' scumbags.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #17: Apr 26, 2012 03:05:05 pm
      Driven by a glorious Olympics history & a vibrant young squad, Uruguay prepare to take on Team GB
      The Celeste will meet the hosts in Group A of the international tournament, and memories of two glorious triumphs will be the motivation for Oscar Tabarez's in-form team

25 Apr 2012 12:50:00 
      By Daniel Edwards | South American Football Editor

Walking around the Uruguayan Football Association's beautifully maintained, fascinating museum in the Estadio Centenario, a curious phenomenon comes to attention. The nation's two World Cup victories, in 1930 and 1950, are showcased in two glorious exhibits telling the story of the Celeste double triumph. But they are far from the star attraction in Montevideo's showpiece stadium.

That honour is instead bestowed on back-to-back Olympic gold medals taken home in 1924 and 1928 by a Uruguay side still in its infancy, a celebration of the team which conquered Europe in a time where South American football was still more or less a mystery back in the old continent. Two of the stands in the Centenario, the Amsterdam and Colombes, also pay homage to those teams; little surprise when one considers the impact that those teams had on the sport.

Given that those two tournaments were the only Olympics officially sanctioned as Fifa World Championships, the Uruguayan people proudly present them as equivalent to the World Cups lifted later in their history, and for European audiences as well the teams that claimed gold were truly revolutionary. In 1924, the South Americans' emphasis on short passing and movement made a welcome contrast to the kick and rush, physical play on view over the Atlantic. As did the integrationist spirit that allowed players of African descent to pull on the Celeste in France and Netherlands, some 50 years before Viv Anderson broke the colour barrier for England.

Those triumphs also introduced a new word into the Spanish language football lexicon. The Vuelta Olimpica (Olympic lap) emerged to mark the Charrua's lap of honour round the Colombes pitch following victory over Switzerland in the 1924 gold medal match; and 2012's hopefuls will be hoping to do their own vuelta around Wembley after getting pasts hosts Great Britain in the London group stages.

The South Americans, who along with Brazil are the only representatives from the continent after 2004 and 2008 winners Argentina failed to qualify, will not have an easy road to the final match. As well as the host nation, appearing for the first time in the Olympic football tournament since the competition allowed professional players to compete, the United Arab Emirates and Senegal stand in Uruguay's way in Group A. If the group stage is successfully negotiated, meanwhile, ties against junior World Cup holders Brazil and European champions Spain loom large. The good news for Uruguayan fans dreaming of a third gold, however, is that the young stars are there to go all the way.

At this stage a certain amount of guesswork is necessary when predicting the final squad for London, to be gleaned from a shortlist of no less than 73 Under-23 and over-age players called up in March. First indications suggest that deadly strike duo Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani will fill two of the latter spots, while the third and final position appears to be a straight fight between inspirational forward Diego Forlan and undisputed first choice in goal, Fernando Muslera.

12/1   Uruguay are 12/1 with PaddyPower to win gold in the Olympic men's football event Amongst the young stars, one can also point to several names that should be guaranteed a place amongst the 18 who make the final cut. Sebastian Coates has a golden chance in the absence of Diego Lugano and Diego Godin to prove that he can be a worthy successor to the grizzled pair, who have been key in the Uruguayan renaissance of the last few years. Alongside him, the elegant, attack-minded Bari starlet Diego Polenta will hope to show the same form he demonstrated in Peru during the last U20 South American Championships.

Palermo star Abel Hernandez has seen his chances at international level strongly restricted by the trident of attacking talent mentioned above, but at 21-years-old he represents the future of the Celeste offence and will be desperate to start alongside Suarez and Cavani. Staying in Italy, Bologna talent Gaston Ramirez has gained plaudits across Europe for his accomplished performances for the Serie A side. The versatile midfielder is keen to make the move to a more illustrious institution, and in London he will have the perfect outlet to show off his abilities to the world.

The scourge of English commentators, meanwhile, will be Jonathan Urretaviscaya. The Benfica youngster was excellent on loan for Penarol during their march to the 2011 Copa Libertadores final, and blessed with blistering speed on the right wing, he will hope to do for the Charrua exactly what Alvaro Pereira does so brilliantly on the opposite flank for Forlan & Co.

This quintet of young talent is merely skimming the barrel of what Uruguay can offer the London Olympics, and all five should be key components of the side which will try and repeat last year's Copa America triumph on British soil in July and August.

Uruguayan football history throws up an intriguing mix of glory and underachievement, of spectacular history mixed with a bitter and underwhelming present. Eduardo Galeano, one of the most eminent and well-regarded authors in contemporary Latin American literature - and, of course, a fervent supporter of his beloved Uruguay football team - perhaps sums up best the Charrua condition:

"If we could learn from that glorious past, we would be great, but no: we shelter in nostalgia when we feel that hope has abandoned us, because hope demands audacity and nostalgia asks nothing of us."

As Oscar Tabarez finalises his squad to face Team GB in the Olympics, he and all his players must play in the memory of those great gold medal teams of the past; but most importantly, the Celeste must not be swept up in a melancholic nostalgia which blinds their path. Boasting the strongest team in a generation, Cavani, Suarez, Coates and the rest have the responsibility to do those men justice and write their own glorious chapter in the Uruguay Olympic story.

Cant post the link, its on talkaloadofbull.com
      /en-gb/news/3823/gb-olympic-team/2012/04/25/3059687/driven-by-a-glorious-olympics-history-a-vibrant-young-squad
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2012 03:41:25 pm by QuicoGalante »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Apr 26, 2012 03:09:36 pm
      It would be nice to win a competition we never won, but if that means keeping Mano Menezes until 2014, I'm afraid I won't be too disappointed with we lose and get rid of him
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #19: Apr 26, 2012 03:35:48 pm
      It would be nice to win a competition we never won, but if that means keeping Mano Menezes until 2014, I'm afraid I won't be too disappointed with we lose and get rid of him
      That wont happen. Even if you loose, Menezes will be your coach. But i have this feeling you will win (thats unless you meet us in the final  ;))
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #20: Apr 26, 2012 03:43:25 pm
      Even if you loose, Menezes will be your coach.

That's my biggest fear :D If we're going to keep him, then let's at least win Olympic gold at last!
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,394 posts | 1448 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #21: Apr 26, 2012 04:13:08 pm
      Yes it does. Suarez could be one of the 3 players over the age of 23 that each country is allowed.

I hope Lucas isn't called up by Brazil because I want him fresh for the new season once he is fit to play, all being well.
      Lucas said he wont be taking part, which is good news for me, a bit crappy on him, I'm sure he would love to be at the Olympics... who wouldn't?
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #22: Apr 26, 2012 04:26:03 pm
      I thought it was up to the club whether the over 23 players could play or not?

Quick Reply