Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Olympics: Football

Read 35285 times
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Re: Olympics: Football
      Reply #391: Aug 11, 2012 04:47:49 pm
      I bet the atmosphere there is fantastic.

Going to be a lot of mezcal drunk today!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #392: Aug 11, 2012 04:48:53 pm
      Brazil pull one back through Hulk in time added on!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #393: Aug 11, 2012 04:50:55 pm
      What a miss by Brazil!

Mexico win Gold!!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #394: Aug 11, 2012 04:52:19 pm
      MEXICO
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #395: Aug 11, 2012 04:52:32 pm
      Well done to Mexico. I wasn't expecting that.
      BigGreg
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #396: Aug 11, 2012 08:30:18 pm
      Good on Mexico!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #397: Aug 11, 2012 10:39:02 pm
      Mexico fans are amazing, they were convinced they were going to win beforehand :D, great atmosphere in general too, felt like a carnival on the way down Wembley Way ;D

Brazil were poor I thought, Rafael was getting so much stick from the Brazil crowd. To be fair he is sh*te.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #398: Aug 12, 2012 01:41:46 pm
      An explosion of cheers across the city for the second!

I suppose it makes a change from gunfire!!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #399: Aug 12, 2012 02:41:46 pm
      Adeus, Mano Menezes!

What a sh*t manager, he has no idea of what he is doing, I'm not happy with the defeat yesterday but if it means Mano Menezes leaving the national manager's post it'll be worth it, this guy CAN'T be in charge during the WC 2014, it's gonna be the most important WC for us in decades, the pressure will me immense and he just isn't good enough. So far all he has done is failure, before him we used to him the Copa America using 'B' teams; with him, we struggled to even get out of the group stage and then lost to Paraguay. Now in the Olympics he has lost it despite having a team that is at least 3 times better than any other in the competition. We had Lucas and Hulk on the bench, those guys would be automatic starters in just any other team, it's f***in ridiculous not to win it.

Also, CBF gave the task of leading this team in the Olympics to Mano Menezes but it would have made more sense if it was Ney Franco, for it was Ney who managed the u-20 side that won the under-20 World Cup last year and therefore knows these players even better. God, I hate Mano Menezes with all my heart. And Rafael is f***in rubbish, hopefully his international career is over after that.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #400: Aug 14, 2012 12:16:42 am
      FA will not back a Team GB men's side for Rio Olympic Games in 2016

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 14 August 2012 00.08 BST

Team GB women beat Brazil at Wembley during London 2012 but they may not get to meet again at the Rio Olympic Games. Photograph: Catherine Ivill/AMA
      Alex Horne, the general secretary of the Football Association, has said the Team GB men's team will not play again and that it is "unlikely" that the women's team will be allowed to enter the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio.

London 2012 marked the first time a Great Britain women's team had competed at the Olympics while the men had not been involved since 1960.

Horne's words will come as a blow to the women's game which was hoping to build on the exposure it received during the Olympics. A record crowd of 70,584 watched Hope Powell's GB team beat Brazil 1-0 at Wembley in their final qualifying match.

The FA is reluctant to continue supporting a men's or women's Great Britain team as it is concerned their appearance in qualifying for Rio 2016 could harm the footballing sovereignty of the home nations.

"Within the men's game it is not going to happen again," Horne told the Times. "On the women's side, I'm going to say it's unlikely, for the same reason. But you can understand why it's more compelling. Olympic football for women is the pinnacle."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/14/fa-team-gb-rio-olympics-2016?CMP=twt_gu
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #401: Aug 14, 2012 02:25:19 pm
      FA will not back a Team GB men's side for Rio Olympic Games in 2016

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 14 August 2012 00.08 BST

Team GB women beat Brazil at Wembley during London 2012 but they may not get to meet again at the Rio Olympic Games. Photograph: Catherine Ivill/AMA
      Alex Horne, the general secretary of the Football Association, has said the Team GB men's team will not play again and that it is "unlikely" that the women's team will be allowed to enter the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio.

London 2012 marked the first time a Great Britain women's team had competed at the Olympics while the men had not been involved since 1960.

Horne's words will come as a blow to the women's game which was hoping to build on the exposure it received during the Olympics. A record crowd of 70,584 watched Hope Powell's GB team beat Brazil 1-0 at Wembley in their final qualifying match.

The FA is reluctant to continue supporting a men's or women's Great Britain team as it is concerned their appearance in qualifying for Rio 2016 could harm the footballing sovereignty of the home nations.

"Within the men's game it is not going to happen again," Horne told the Times. "On the women's side, I'm going to say it's unlikely, for the same reason. But you can understand why it's more compelling. Olympic football for women is the pinnacle."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/14/fa-team-gb-rio-olympics-2016?CMP=twt_gu

When will they learn that footy is for the fans not the suits, god they bore me  :f_steam:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #402: Aug 15, 2012 02:51:51 pm
      When will they learn that footy is for the fans not the suits, god they bore me  :f_steam:

It's nothing to do with suits, it's all to do with voting rights within FIFA.

Who cares with softshite knuckledragger Pearce in charge, they were always gonna win F**k all.

Quick Reply