Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Olympics: Football

Read 35746 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: London 2012 Olympics - Football
      Reply #46: Jul 01, 2012 02:12:01 pm
      Aye mate. I expect that from you. I can't even be arsed arguing the toss tbh... you know exactly what I meant about Olympic Spirit. 

The olympic spirit, you mean take performance enhancing drugs, but don't get caught? Takes a whole new meaning to the Olympic motto  Citius, Altius, Fortius because many athletes are certainly Faster, 'Higher' & Stronger. Not a fan of Pearce as a coach, but the outlandish way you lumped the Olympic Spirit crap at him was a joke.  Why not argue the toss, the Scottish & NI were afraid of losing their voting rights within UEFA & FIFA and with my family background, the only dog I don't have in he race is Scottish.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #47: Jul 01, 2012 02:34:12 pm
      Bale missing the olympics due to back injury?

Yes, heard that on Friday. It's funny because him and Beckham have been the two players the media have been banging on about regarding the Olympic football and neither of them are going to be taking part!
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #48: Jul 01, 2012 03:01:00 pm
      Yes, heard that on Friday. It's funny because him and Beckham have been the two players the media have been banging on about regarding the Olympic football and neither of them are going to be taking part!
      Was thinking the same thing!
      Luis said on an interview that Craig Bellamy had joked about asking Liverpool not to allow Luis and Seba play, hahaha.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #49: Jul 03, 2012 12:30:57 am
      Team GB: David Beckham left out for football reasons - Stuart Pearce

Stuart Pearce says his decision not to pick David Beckham in his Team GB squad for London 2012 was made purely for football reasons, and stressed he would not pick any player based on sentiment.

Pearce has named his 18-man squad, leaving out Beckham as expected.

"Form plays a big part and I don't think there is a manager around who picks on sentiment," he said.

"I have to be comfortable when I have made decisions based solely on football grounds alone, nothing else."

Pearce also ruled out any possibility of using Beckham in a coaching capacity, although the British Olympic Association (BOA) has been in touch with the LA Galaxy midfielder's representatives about a possible Games role.

"We only have seven passes [for backroom staff]. We have no passes for that," added Pearce.

"The players have to be prepared to come through the door on form alone and that happens to be the case with staffing too. They have their role to play."

BOA chef de mission Andy Hunt said it would be "fantastic" to have Beckham involved in some capacity.

He said: "We'd be delighted and honoured to have David Beckham related to Team GB more broadly.

"That would be fantastic. I've made contact with his representatives over the weekend and we'll see how that moves forward."

It had long been anticipated that Beckham would be included as one of the three overage players in the squad following his prominent role in promoting London 2012.

But Pearce instead opted for Craig Bellamy, Ryan Giggs and Micah Richards - three players the England Under-21 manager believes will give Team GB their best chance of winning a medal.

Pearce said he made it clear when he was appointed that he would only pick players based on merit, and would not have taken the job if he was not in full control over squad selection.

"From the offset, when I sat down with the [Football Association] chairman David Bernstein, some time before Christmas, he offered me the opportunity to pick the squad," he said.

"If at that stage he had said to me that certain individuals would have to be included I certainly wouldn't do that job. I don't know any manager worth their salt who would have.

"Right through this process I have had carte blanche to pick whatever players I regard as best.

"I do enough hours watching matches and I think I've done due diligence on all the players here."

The Team GB squad is made up of 13 Englishmen and five Welsh players, with no representatives from either Scotland or Northern Ireland.

"I've got a list of names written down now, who I think ability-wise are good enough to do a job," said Pearce.

"I didn't pick on personality, I didn't pick on ticket sales and I certainly wasn't picking on nationality."

Team GB football squad:

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (England), Jason Steele (England)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (England), Steven Caulker (England), Craig Dawson (England), Micah Richards (England), Danny Rose (England), Neil Taylor (Wales), James Tomkins (England)

Midfielders: Joe Allen (Wales), Tom Cleverley (England), Jack Cork (England), Ryan Giggs (Wales), Aaron Ramsey (Wales), Scott Sinclair (England)

Forwards: Craig Bellamy (Wales), Marvin Sordell (England), Daniel Sturridge (England)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18673893
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #50: Jul 03, 2012 07:54:20 pm
      Looks like Sturridge is out too...meningitis.
      Who is next?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #51: Jul 03, 2012 10:29:06 pm
      This is disappointing ...

Bale was talked and talked about being in the tournament but he's not.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #52: Jul 04, 2012 03:49:28 pm
      I'm surprised Jordi Alba is included in preliminary squad for Spain.

He played every minute of all the Spain matches.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #53: Jul 05, 2012 08:26:30 pm
      Brazilian squad announced today. Players above 23 years old in bold.

Goalkeepers: Rafael (Santos), Neto (Fiorentina), Danilo (Porto)
      Fullbacks: Alex Sandro (Porto), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Rafael (Man Utd)
      Central Defenders: Thiago Silva (Milan), Juan (Internazionale), Bruno Uvini (São Paulo)
      Defensive Midfielders: Sandro (Tottenham), Romulo (Spartak Moscow)
      Attacking Midfielders: Lucas (São Paulo), Ganso (Santos), Oscar (Internacional)
      Strikers: Hulk (Porto), Neymar (Santos), Leandro Damião (Internacional), Alexandre Pato (Milan)
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #54: Jul 05, 2012 09:12:18 pm
      Christ Brazil are good. Wish I had tickets to see them, but hopefully watching Uruguay will soften the blow :)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #55: Jul 05, 2012 09:26:52 pm
      I just don't like the young CBs. Both Juan and Bruno Uvini were used by Mano Menezes in the first team and none of them were convincing. I never liked Uvini, not even when he captained Brazil under-20 to a world title, and the little I've seen of Juan wasn't very promising either. I would prefer another above 23 CB instead of Marcelo (maybe David Luiz, or Dedé if fit, maybe even Lucio to lead these guys out there), and call Fabio for left back. 

Rafael isn't a keeper that instills much confidence either, but I guess that's the rule with young keepers.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #56: Jul 05, 2012 09:28:30 pm

Central Defenders: Thiago Silva (Milan), Juan (Internazionale), Bruno Uvini (São Paulo)
      Strikers: Hulk (Porto), Neymar (Santos), Leandro Damião (Internacional), Alexandre Pato (Milan)

Ops, just realized I put Danilo (Porto) as a keeper. He is a right back.

And it is funny to see Alexandre Pato in this list, he's been around for ages and is still eligible for the Olympic games, he was really young when he moved to Italy
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #57: Jul 05, 2012 10:39:46 pm

FANTASTIC team. You guys will really shoot for gold on this one. I really hope we can evade playing you (unless its in the final.) I think we could beat Spain, but i dont know about Brazil.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #58: Jul 05, 2012 10:40:03 pm
      And it is funny to see Alexandre Pato in this list, he's been around for ages and is still eligible for the Olympic games, he was really young when he moved to Italy

He'll probably tear a muscle watching the swimming competition or something. He is so injury prone I feel for him.

That is one hell of a youth squad.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #59: Jul 05, 2012 10:42:34 pm
      He'll probably tear a muscle watching the swimming competition or something. He is so injury prone I feel for him.

That is one hell of a youth squad.
      Or banging the cavaleris daughter...
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #60: Jul 05, 2012 10:55:40 pm
      Neymar and Pato up front. My goodness.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #61: Jul 05, 2012 11:34:49 pm
      Neymar and Pato up front. My goodness.
      Probably Neymar and Hulk, based on the midfield they take
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #62: Jul 06, 2012 04:57:03 am
      Let's hear some predictions. I am thinking Brazil and Uruguay in the finals in all honesty. I can't wait to see Luis in the Olympics
      Bier
      Reply #63: Jul 06, 2012 12:46:59 pm
      South American teams should have a big advantage as European teams are quite restricted by the Euros.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #64: Jul 06, 2012 02:26:00 pm
      Cant see past Spain or Brazil getting it. Uruguay has a chance but we are not top favourites
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #65: Jul 06, 2012 02:30:03 pm
      South American teams should have a big advantage as European teams are quite restricted by the Euros.
      No, they are restricted by your players not taking the OG seriously. If a player WANTS to play, nothing can stop him. At least top players.
      Cavani was told by his club he wouldnt be allowed to play, and he sent them to hell. He said his NT was above everything, and that they refused, he would go anyway, and face whatever consequences. He is now part of the Uruguay Olypic team
      Bier
      Reply #66: Jul 06, 2012 02:47:40 pm
      No, they are restricted by your players not taking the OG seriously. If a player WANTS to play, nothing can stop him. At least top players.
      Cavani was told by his club he wouldnt be allowed to play, and he sent them to hell. He said his NT was above everything, and that they refused, he would go anyway, and face whatever consequences. He is now part of the Uruguay Olypic team

The OG isn't taken very serious by the organisation itself even considering the age limit, it's a half assed under 23 tournament. And that's nice Cavani did that, but he didn't even play a tournament like the Euros, and I'm sure he had a nice vacation. And if South America traditionally would have had the Copa America in the same year just before the OG the importance of the OG would have likely dropped too. Indeed, not everybody is Cavani. Imagine Carroll doing that, he'd blow his last chances at Liverpool. Or players like Henderson, Walcott, Oxlade Chamberlain, Wellbeck, Jones, Kelly etc. Not exactly in the position that Cavani is to make demands, very few under 23 players are.
      « Last Edit: Jul 06, 2012 03:06:03 pm by Bier »
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #67: Jul 06, 2012 03:36:48 pm
      The OG isn't taken very serious by the organisation itself even considering the age limit, it's a half assed under 23 tournament. And that's nice Cavani did that, but he didn't even play a tournament like the Euros, and I'm sure he had a nice vacation. And if South America traditionally would have had the Copa America in the same year just before the OG the importance of the OG would have likely dropped too. Indeed, not everybody is Cavani. Imagine Carroll doing that, he'd blow his last chances at Liverpool. Or players like Henderson, Walcott, Oxlade Chamberlain, Wellbeck, Jones, Kelly etc. Not exactly in the position that Cavani is to make demands, very few under 23 players are.
      My point was that star players could play if they wanted. Imagine if Iniesta WANTED to play. There is no way Barcelona could have refused. Same for Lampard, Terry, Rooney and any other in their position. I imagine the headlines "John Terry-the bravest man alive- will drive team GB to Olympic glory"
      "The player put nation over anything, in an unprecedented display of honor and love for king and country".

It is a matter of will and polytics

And Cavani played 2 SA qualification matches, and only had  14 days of rest more than any English player.
      Bier
      Reply #68: Jul 06, 2012 04:11:58 pm
      My point was that star players could play if they wanted. Imagine if Iniesta WANTED to play. There is no way Barcelona could have refused. Same for Lampard, Terry, Rooney and any other in their position. I imagine the headlines "John Terry-the bravest man alive- will drive team GB to Olympic glory"
      "The player put nation over anything, in an unprecedented display of honor and love for king and country".

It is a matter of will and polytics

And Cavani played 2 SA qualification matches, and only had  14 days of rest more than any English player.

Sure, but it's a half assed under 23 tournament. Has been for years, especially for Europeans, so traditonally speaking we don't care much. Ofcourse not everybody will be that interested, it fades in comparison to the Euros, especially when it comes to the teams and quality. People are less interested in other youth tournaments aswell, the only slight appeal here is that it's the OG. 

And 3 dispensation star players don't make the whole team do they. Those English players I mentioned are all eligible as under 23 player, but won't be there because they were at the Euros, that's 7 players. So regardless of what supposed star dispensation players do, they're not going to be the best team available.

And the whole dispensation rule is absurd anyway, only created to give more appeal. But when you win, what have you won anyway? You're not the best team, because of the age limit not all best players are there. You're not even the best under 23 team, because of the dispensation players.

And only 14 days rest more. That's all the vacation I get this summer!

Quick Reply