Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC documentary by Fox Soccer: Being Liverpool

Read 75690 times
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: LFC documentary by Fox Soccer: Being Liverpool
      Reply #529: Oct 08, 2012 12:34:32 pm
      Lawrenson blasts Liverpool's TV documentary, claiming Shankly would be turning in his grave

By Sportsmail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 09:59, 8 October 2012 | UPDATED: 10:04, 8 October 2012

Former Liverpool defender and Match of the Day pundit Mark Lawrenson has hit out at the ongoing fly-on-the-wall documentary detailing life behind the scenes at Anfield.

Being: Liverpool, currently being aired on Channel 5, takes a behind the scenes look at the club with manager Brendan Rodgers featuring prominently.

And Lawrenson was critical of the Northern Irishman's participation in his column for the Daily Mirror - claiming that Anfield bosses of old would be 'turning in their graves'.

'What on earth is Brendan Rodgers doing in this programme Being: Liverpool?', writes Lawrenson, who was also critical of the club's American owners.

'I’m sorry, I just think this show comes across as American schmalz. It’s totally ill-advised and some of the stuff that I have seen so far in the first three episodes is cringeworthy.

'I think everybody shares that point of view. The problem is, once you get American owners intent on doing it and intent on getting everyone involved it’s extremely difficult.

'Well, at the moment the club isn’t doing particularly well. The soundbites are great but it’s plain for everyone to see that there is a lot wrong.'

Lawrenson, who made 241 appearances as a defender for the Reds in the 1980s, added: 'One other thing. The show I saw on Saturday ended up with Ian Ayre, the chief executive, jumping on his Harley Davison and riding through the city.

'Come on!! Shankly would be turning in his grave. So would Paisley and Fagan and all of those Liverpool legends.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2214485/Mark-Lawrenson-slams-Being-Liverpool-documentary.html#ixzz28hrCbKMZ

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,100 posts | 8521 
      Reply #530: Oct 08, 2012 12:38:01 pm
      Lawrenson blasts Liverpool's TV documentary, claiming Shankly would be turning in his grave

By Sportsmail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 09:59, 8 October 2012 | UPDATED: 10:04, 8 October 2012

Former Liverpool defender and Match of the Day pundit Mark Lawrenson has hit out at the ongoing fly-on-the-wall documentary detailing life behind the scenes at Anfield.

Being: Liverpool, currently being aired on Channel 5, takes a behind the scenes look at the club with manager Brendan Rodgers featuring prominently.

And Lawrenson was critical of the Northern Irishman's participation in his column for the Daily Mirror - claiming that Anfield bosses of old would be 'turning in their graves'.

'What on earth is Brendan Rodgers doing in this programme Being: Liverpool?', writes Lawrenson, who was also critical of the club's American owners.

'I’m sorry, I just think this show comes across as American schmalz. It’s totally ill-advised and some of the stuff that I have seen so far in the first three episodes is cringeworthy.

'I think everybody shares that point of view. The problem is, once you get American owners intent on doing it and intent on getting everyone involved it’s extremely difficult.

'Well, at the moment the club isn’t doing particularly well. The soundbites are great but it’s plain for everyone to see that there is a lot wrong.'

Lawrenson, who made 241 appearances as a defender for the Reds in the 1980s, added: 'One other thing. The show I saw on Saturday ended up with Ian Ayre, the chief executive, jumping on his Harley Davison and riding through the city.

'Come on!! Shankly would be turning in his grave. So would Paisley and Fagan and all of those Liverpool legends.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2214485/Mark-Lawrenson-slams-Being-Liverpool-documentary.html#ixzz28hrCbKMZ

He's one cheeky F***ing quilt!!

Half the sh*t he comes out with would have Shankly turning in his grave and i still haven't forgiven that c**t for what he said after the six minute chants for justice against Arsenal in 2006 "Can we just get on with the football now" One grade A pr**k.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #531: Oct 08, 2012 12:48:22 pm
      I wonder will we ever find out who was in that envelope ?

I think it was just a motivational ploy mate, a psychological tool. I wouldn't think there was really 3 names in those envelopes.... but if there were I am sure Downing would be one :)   
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #532: Oct 08, 2012 02:04:50 pm
      Any sign of episode 4 yet?
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #533: Oct 08, 2012 02:15:42 pm
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #534: Oct 08, 2012 02:35:31 pm
      Yeah thought the fourth episode was very good. Crazy that Borini has moved like 6 times in 14 months.

The three envelopes, my guess is Carroll, Downing, Enrique.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #535: Oct 08, 2012 03:39:09 pm
      Honestly, Lawrenson does my head in, he's the embarrassment. If he really feels like that then don't highlight the fact in the media you complete fool, and put a spotlight on something you feel shows the club in an ill light. Should just hide away in his house and keep his depressing tones to himself. The day he comes out with something positive I might just feint on the spot, support the club that gave you so much rather than live on the legacy while bemoaning everything.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #536: Oct 08, 2012 07:24:06 pm
      Lawro at it again. Nothing new.

Strange he asks What on earth is Brendan Rodgers doing in this programme Being: Liverpool?' as if the manager had a choice.

pr**k.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #537: Oct 08, 2012 10:22:03 pm
      Thought that that episode was probably the most 'behind the scenes' so far in the series, as to say that we say a lot more detailed match preparation, training and team talks. I know the series has a lot of detractors and I can see them absolutely hating that bit. I lvoe it as I like seeing that side of the club and just seeing the way Rodgers works in particular, but I can see why people will not like it.

My estimation of Stevie has gone so high throughout the series too, particularly liked the bit talking about him being a quiet leader, then shows how much he does talk during the game.

As for the 3 envelopes, it's easy say Downing, Enrique, Carroll etc as they have left the club or being slated in public now. But personally I think that Rodgers himself will be on, and the others blank or maybe something like the team written in it. Rodgers ahs always talked about 'the group' as opposed to individuals so it was hard to believe that there is actual names in there, for me anyways.

Sorry for any spoilers there! :P
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #538: Oct 08, 2012 10:52:05 pm
      Just got to watching part 3.

Ian Ayre that self pitious interview and that Harley ride my oh my.

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #539: Oct 09, 2012 01:36:00 am
      part 4 - part with shelvey and the kids is awesome. i mean shelvey is a kid! you can tell jonjo really relishes it all
      beswick83
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #540: Oct 09, 2012 02:23:59 am
      As a Scouser, Liverpudlian, an Kopite it was a great programme to watch. Anything that involves the mighty reds is gona be a good watch. Is it right that we publicise the things that happen behind doors? No. Would it suit Peter Robinson, Sir Bill Shankly or the boot room? (dont know, to young). Is the programme for us? Maybe?
      This programme has been been produced, directed, and suited for and by the American SOCCER audience.
      Wether it proves to be a success is another matter!

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #541: Oct 09, 2012 06:49:51 am
      part 4 - part with shelvey and the kids is awesome. i mean shelvey is a kid! you can tell jonjo really relishes it all

Was good, I like Brendan's speech pre-match about trusting team-mates, family and supporters because everyone else is against us and those 3 are the only ones we can count on....spot on.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #542: Oct 09, 2012 08:39:04 am
      I especially liked Houghtons's comment "if you are not buying top players you are standing still."
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #543: Oct 09, 2012 06:15:07 pm
      So the clue is in the detail.

A big up in the last one for Anfield.

Notice the bit about " modern stadiums arent built to last for ............ "
      Had a couple of minutes on the shrine   as we did previous week on Fenway.
      Its softening us all up.

New stadium  ..................  my arse .

New strikers   .................. my arse.

Its all un-ravelling slowly  .... oh so very slowly ...     my comrades.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #544: Oct 09, 2012 10:09:18 pm
      My mate told me a documentary is being made about everton called "Being Bitter".
      I asked "when does it start?", he said: "in the 80's..."
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,100 posts | 8521 
      Reply #545: Oct 10, 2012 12:47:08 am
      My mate told me a documentary is being made about everton called "Being Bitter".
      I asked "when does it start?", he said: "in the 80's..."

You get the full BOOM, BOOM and TISH for that one.

Very good!
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #546: Oct 10, 2012 03:50:20 am
      Maybe the three players is a type of player

Lazy, unprofessional, selfish

Would he really write down Adam, Carroll, Downing?
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #547: Oct 10, 2012 03:56:41 am
      Suppose if they are blank and its a psychological motivational tool it could be risky depending on the individual player. But then do we want weak psychological players? Or confident quality players?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #548: Oct 10, 2012 07:39:49 am
      Suppose if they are blank and its a psychological motivational tool it could be risky depending on the individual player. But then do we want weak psychological players? Or confident quality players?

This one is a variation on a technique used by Sir Alex Ferguson after Manchester United won their first league title for 26 years in the 1992-93 season.

Fergie told his squad that he'd put the names of three players that would let them down the following season into an envelope as a means of making his squad deal with success. He admitted in his biography that there actually was no envelope.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/being-liverpool-brendan-rodgers-envelope-1369893

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #549: Oct 10, 2012 09:43:49 am
      I guess what BR might be hoping is that nobody gives a sh*t if their name is in the envelope or not because they should want to work their arse off regardless. You shouldn't need to be on that thin ice to turn yourself around.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #550: Oct 10, 2012 04:16:41 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #551: Oct 10, 2012 04:22:07 pm

Quick Reply