Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Greatest team in History??

Read 2938 times
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Greatest team in History??
      Mar 11, 2012 06:30:12 pm
      Im still a very young supporter but it would be nice to know from some of the oldies who they think the greatest team ever was?

Barca post 2010   Messi,Xavi,Iniesta
      AC Milan 1990      Baresi, Van Basten , Guilit
      Brazil   1970         Pele, Jairzinho, Alberto
      Brazil   1982          Socrates, Zico, Falcao
      Ajax  1972            Cruyff
      Madrid 1960        Di Stefano, Puskas
      Liverpool 1988    Barnes, Beardsley, Molby

Your thoughts????

I really cant contemplate how any team would ever be better than the current Barca side.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012 06:42:47 pm by Suarez-7 »
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Re: Greatest team in History??
      Reply #1: Mar 11, 2012 06:39:42 pm
      Personally I think its difficult to compare Club against Country, but would have to say based soley on consequtive European Cup Wins it would have to be Madrid 1960 surely !
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #2: Mar 11, 2012 06:40:49 pm
      Heard alot in the media that Brazil 1982 was the best team that never won the world cup.....is this true?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,187 posts | 8558 
      Reply #3: Mar 12, 2012 12:08:43 am
      Heard alot in the media that Brazil 1982 was the best team that never won the world cup.....is this true?

Hell of a team, but were beaten by an outstanding Italian team.

Best way to look at it.

Liverpool 1984 team that won the treble wasn't too shabby.

I'd still say Real Madrid from the early 60's.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Mar 12, 2012 12:29:03 am
      Barcelona in the past few years!

That's the only team I've seen play outstanding football with the accolades to go with it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5: Mar 12, 2012 01:14:26 am
      Best club side probably the Liverpool team of the late 70's early 80's. Many of that team won the league under three different managers and the European cup under two (would have been 3 but for the ban). With Souness as Captain we were as good as any club side.

Best international team Brazil of 1970, although I think they were a little lucky, they beat a better England team than had won the WC in 1966, and thrashed an excellent (though tired) Italian team in the final.

Best European club side - Barca, but I think the Liverpool team of the late 70's early 80's would have beaten them, especially under the old tackling laws. Barca's diving tactics wouldn't have got much change in those days. 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Mar 12, 2012 06:52:16 am
       I agree with s@int about Liverpool being the greatest club team of the 70s and 80s,Barcelona are definitely the tops over the last couple of years.Madrid in the 50s and 60s when they had the great DiStefano and Puskas playing for them.As is usual it is a bit unfair to compare teams and players from one generation to another as the game and the gear they used has changed so much.It should also be remembered that years back the 11 players who started the match finished the match even when carrying an injury.Seeing as this is a Liverpool forum everybody should be aware of Gerry Byrne in the 1965 cup final against Leeds,I give this as an example.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Mar 12, 2012 08:11:10 am
      Best club side probably the Liverpool team of the late 70's early 80's. Many of that team won the league under three different managers and the European cup under two (would have been 3 but for the ban). With Souness as Captain we were as good as any club side.

Best European club side - Barca, but I think the Liverpool team of the late 70's early 80's would have beaten them, especially under the old tackling laws. Barca's diving tactics wouldn't have got much change in those days.

I'm with you on that one s@int. People tend to forget how good we really were. Changed times (some for the good) and different eras but can you imagine what Dalglish, for example, would have been liked if he got the same protection that Messi does now?

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #8: Mar 12, 2012 03:07:39 pm
      Raul; Leandro, Marinho, Mozer, Junior; Andrade, Adilio, Zico; Lico, Tita, Nunes.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,244 posts | 2818 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #9: Mar 12, 2012 06:20:38 pm
      Not sure if you could say they were the best ever as on the continent hey never had a chance to prove it but that Liverpool side of 88-90 was awesome. "They play like Brazil but at a faster pace" said Tom Finney after we thumped Forest 5 nil, and he'd know a thing or 2!!

God just thinking, what a machine. Flare, skill, pace, passing, tackling, solid defence and one thing they dont get credit for, the first truly awesome squad
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Mar 12, 2012 06:30:42 pm
      Not sure if you could say they were the best ever as on the continent hey never had a chance to prove it but that Liverpool side of 88-90 was awesome. "They play like Brazil but at a faster pace" said Tom Finney after we thumped Forest 5 nil, and he'd know a thing or 2!!

God just thinking, what a machine. Flare, skill, pace, passing, tackling, solid defence and one thing they dont get credit for, the first truly awesome squad
      Brian I must of fell asleep reading your post and was dreaming you were describing todays team-then I woke up.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,244 posts | 2818 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Mar 12, 2012 06:54:11 pm
      Brian I must of fell asleep reading your post and was dreaming you were describing todays team-then I woke up.

If only Billy if only
      StevieG4life
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #12: Mar 13, 2012 06:24:05 pm
      Well, I went to this website called "Football Pantheon" and it uses a mathematical system to calculate which footballing sides were the most dominant in their day, which is probably the best way to compare teams, since a really legend of the old days is maybe only as good as a good-ish player nowadays, since technology, modernised tactics, etc. has changed the quality of the game through the years. It says that the Ajax side of 1965-73 was the greatest squad, which is quite understandable, there are so many the myths about this mythical team that has since been mediocre. Oh, and the list also says that 2nd is the Madrid of 1953-60, 3rd is the LIVERPOOL of 1977-84  ;D
      Bier
      Reply #13: Mar 14, 2012 12:43:59 am
      Well, I went to this website called "Football Pantheon" and it uses a mathematical system to calculate which footballing sides were the most dominant in their day, which is probably the best way to compare teams, since a really legend of the old days is maybe only as good as a good-ish player nowadays, since technology, modernised tactics, etc. has changed the quality of the game through the years. It says that the Ajax side of 1965-73 was the greatest squad, which is quite understandable, there are so many the myths about this mythical team that has since been mediocre. Oh, and the list also says that 2nd is the Madrid of 1953-60, 3rd is the LIVERPOOL of 1977-84  ;D
      You think that Ajax has been mediocre since 1973? Not untill much later. In 1987 they won the Europacup 2, and in 1988 reached the final again but lost. With players like Van Basten, Rijkaard and an upcoming  Bergkamp they were pretty impressive. Then in 1992 they won the UEFA Cup. Then in 1995 they won the Champions League with a very impressive team with players like  Rijkaard, Frank de Boer, Edgar Davids, Clarence Seedorf, Marc Overmars, Van der Sar, Patrick Kluivert, Litmanen and Kanu. A year later that team reached the finals of the Champions League again but lost on penalties. Only after that they became mediocre. Which had alot to do with the Bosman ruling that happened in their last succesful season of 95/96.

I think the main reason that Ajax side from the 70's is regarded as a such a great side is because they changed the tactics of modern football with total football.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #14: Mar 14, 2012 01:04:26 am
      Best two teams ive seen in my life time are the current barc team and the Milan team of the three dutch superstars. Like the Madrid galacticos prior to the sale of makele.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #15: Mar 14, 2012 08:17:23 am

I think the main reason that Ajax side from the 70's is regarded as a such a great side is because they changed the tactics of modern football with total football.
      Bloody hell Bier that sounds like the Liverpool teams in the 70s/80s you are describing.
      Bier
      Reply #16: Mar 14, 2012 04:43:23 pm
      Bloody hell Bier that sounds like the Liverpool teams in the 70s/80s you are describing.
      I didn't say that Ajax side was the greatest side, just commenting on why they are regarded as a great one. ;)

Although I don't think that Liverpool side is known for inventing total football like they are, so I don't really agree I was describing us in the 70/80s..
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,187 posts | 8558 
      Reply #17: Mar 15, 2012 08:16:03 pm

That'll be the team that handed Liverpool their arse at Anfield, truly a great team from the 70s, make no mistake.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #18: Mar 17, 2012 05:54:24 pm
      2010 Spain WC
      03-04 Arsenal
      81-84 Liverpool
      09-11 Barcalona
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #19: Jun 02, 2012 02:04:26 pm