Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

What a joke, Messi accused of racism

Read 7360 times
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      What a joke, Messi accused of racism
      May 09, 2012 01:35:41 pm
      Say it ain't so: Messi accused of using racist language by Real Madrid player Drenthe

Argentine magician 'did a Suarez' claims Everton loan flop Royston - is it another case of South American players 'struggling with cultural differences'?

King of the world: But now Lionel Messi has been accused of using racist language
      David Ramos
      Lionel Messi has reportedly been accused by former Everton midfielder Royston Drenthe of 'doing a Suarez' and using racist language when the pair played against each other in Spain.

Dutchman Drenthe, whose loan spell at Goodison Park has effectively ended, is officially on the books at Real Madrid, and came up against Messi during his time in Spain.

It is there that the Holland international claims he was called a 'negro' by the FIFA world player of the year – the same word Patrice Evra said Luis Suarez used against him.

No talking: Luis Suarez is using the power of mime here
      Reuters

Ugly scene: Luis Suarez and Patrice Evra not shaking hands
      Sky Sports

In an article on Dutch news website Nu.nl, Drenthe says: "I played against him [Messi] many times and we always have problems with each other.

“You know what bothers me so? That tone with which he always says, 'negro, negro'. I understand that 'negro' in South America is very common, but we can not stand it.

“Mahamadou Diarra, my team-mate at Real, could explode if 'negro' was aimed at him. The Argentinean Gabriel Heinze and Gonzalo Higuain said it initially on the training ground, but they were stopped.

“When Hercules [the team Drenthe spent a year on loan with last season] played Barcelona, during the game I had a small altercation with him [Messi]. He gave me a hand in the match and again said a few times, 'hola negro'."

Uruguayan Suarez was banned for eight matches and fined £40,000 earlier this season after being found guilty of using abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour in a Premier League match in 2011.

The Liverpool striker defended himself on the grounds of cultural differences and that he was unaware that language acceptable in South America was viewed as racist in Europe

I wonder what the FA would have done? Well, its official, every South American is a racist
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Re: What a joke, Messi accused of racism
      Reply #1: May 09, 2012 01:39:33 pm
      Oh, and this is how you should  treat someone who abuses you racially. At least its what Zokora did to Emre!!
      Didier Zokora (Trabzonspor) aims a kick at Emre's groin, gets a yellow card - 07/05/12 - HD
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: May 09, 2012 01:48:18 pm
      Some people need to grow the F**k up. I couldn't care less if someone calls me deragotary asian terms.

Everyone use such words in their daily lives. I know Messi has stayed in Spain for over 10 years and you can take him out of South America but you can't take the South America out of him.

It's so easy to get your opponents in trouble. Just play the 'he racially abused me' card.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #3: May 09, 2012 03:28:34 pm
      There's far to much of this, it needs to stop now, it's ruining the game.

Players need to grow a pair and man up.

Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #4: May 09, 2012 04:41:24 pm
      There's far to much of this, it needs to stop now, it's ruining the game.

Players need to grow a pair and man up.

Too right. If I lived in Africa and someone called me a rascist name I would'nt be assed.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: May 09, 2012 04:43:14 pm
      It will be funny to see the double standards the media will treat this in comparison to Suarez

Anyway, an even more ridiculous accusation, even in this article it says other South American players at Real Madrid said that word in the training ground
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #6: May 09, 2012 05:06:02 pm
      Harden the F**k up Drenthe. So sick of hearing football players cry like a bunch a pansies whenever a 'naughty' word is used.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #7: May 09, 2012 05:14:08 pm
      Even kids say those things to each other nowadays.

I know they can be role models but footballers are humans as well.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8: May 09, 2012 05:19:37 pm
      The Argentinean Gabriel Heinze and Gonzalo Higuain said it initially on the training ground, but they were stopped.

Interesting that Heinze after a number of seasons playing for Manchester United in England under Mr Ferguson (c**t) was still saying it ?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #9: May 09, 2012 05:36:03 pm
      I used to Ref football tournaments in parks and some of the names I used to get called by asian lads would curl your toes.

And they wondered why they always lost.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #10: May 09, 2012 05:37:30 pm
      I used to Ref football tournaments in parks and some of the names I used to get called by asian lads would curl your toes.

And they wondered why they always lost.

LMAO! Diuuuuuuuuu.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #11: May 10, 2012 12:07:21 am
      Too right. If I lived in Africa and someone called me a rascist name I would'nt be assed.
      I worked in a pub in London for a little while as a young lad and a man from Jamaica used to call me Paddy young blood, I thought nothing of it , Drenthe needs to toughen himself up. I hope he"s not on our wishlist for the summer.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #12: May 10, 2012 01:09:59 am
      it's good that mindblowingly stupid articles are coming out about this though. it could lead to a shift in thinking where the majority of people actually understand that in some parts of the world "negro" is not met with gasps and "oh my god what did he say!!!" because that is a western attitude drilled into us by those dickheads that made it an "issue"... the more people realise it's just a word that some people use in a friendly way towards others, like i do with "man" or "dude", the less we will read these boring stupid articles..
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #13: May 10, 2012 08:49:26 am
      I wonder what the FA would have done? Well, its official, every South American is a racist
      It just proves that Luis Suarez should never have been suspended,that was a travesty of justice and manipulation of the F.A. by Evra and his boss.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #14: May 10, 2012 08:55:56 am
      It just proves that Luis Suarez should never have been suspended,that was a travesty of justice and manipulation of the F.A. by Evra and his boss.

Indeed.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3400 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #15: May 10, 2012 10:56:14 am
      Drenthe is no doubt looking for some cheap publicity (as well as a new club)
      Bier
      Reply #16: May 10, 2012 11:00:01 am
      Drenthe is just a dumb idiot. Lacks the intelligence and mentality to ever make it as a player. He's said to Dutch media that he wants to return to Feyenoord, but I think even they are hesitant to take him back because he's trouble.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #17: May 10, 2012 11:02:51 am
      Nice of him to come out and say that Messi called him a 'negro' but doesn't say the same when his former teammates, Heinze and Higuain called others the same.

Grow the F**k up man.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #18: May 10, 2012 07:07:15 pm
      Just as well Messi does not play for us.

One person's word against another, no evidence, = 8 match ban.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: May 10, 2012 07:34:11 pm
      Another c**t trying to taint the name of a quality player.
      Doubt any pitchforks will be involved this time.
      F**k the FA.
      Racism a great big F***ing bandwagon to jump on.
      Any gay footballers out while playing?
      No, let's not talk about that.
      Let's keep focused on this racism thing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: May 10, 2012 07:36:23 pm
      Why is he only just saying about it now and not when he was actually playing in Spain?! Tool.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #21: May 10, 2012 07:58:13 pm
      F***ing bellend, negro is a definitive ethnic description - no court in the land would decide otherwise.
      The bellends at the FA would not go near a court of law and made it up as they went along, time will be their judge and the clock is ticking.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #22: May 10, 2012 08:04:51 pm
      This is all so 2011.

Quick Reply