Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Video Games Baftas 2012

Read 5197 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Video Games Baftas 2012
      Mar 20, 2012 08:37:06 am
      Here is a full list of the winners in the British Academy of Film and Television Arts' (Bafta) Video Games Awards, held in March 2012:

Best game: Portal 2

GAME award (voted by public): Battlefield 3

Design: Portal 2

Action: Batman: Arkham City

Story: Portal 2

Online Multiplayer: Battlefield 3

Mobile & Handheld: Peggle HD

Game Innovation: Little Big Planet 2

Family: Little Big Planet 2

Strategy: Total War: Shogun 2

One To Watch: Tick Tock Toys

Online Browser: Monstermind

Artistic Achievement: Rayman Origins

Sports/Fitness: Kinect Sports 2

Debut Game: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

Original Music: LA Noire

Audio Achievement: Battlefield 3

Performer: Mark Hamill for Batman: Arkham City

Special award: Markus "Notch" Persson (Minecraft's creator)

I don't own many of these but I'm glad to see Battlefield 3 being recognised by the public, being voted Best Multiplayer and also Audio Achievement which is well deserved because the sound when playing BF3 in incredible.
      Rayman Origins is a good game as well so nice to see that get an award, even if it's more for it's presentation than gameplay.

I think the big surprise for many people was the number of top awards for Portal 2. That's not because it's undeserved, I've never played it or the first Portal but simply because I've never heard it mentioned. When we ran a vote on here for best game, it was the likes of BF3, Skyrim, FIFA 12 and Arkham City that pulled in the votes.

So, Portal 2, who's played it and is it really that good?
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Re: Video Games Baftas 2012
      Reply #1: Mar 20, 2012 09:10:59 am
      BF3 isn't recognised by the public as a great game but considering how many whoppers there are in football (which is really nothing more than a cross section of society in general anyway) it comes as no surprise that the vast majority think it's an average game but the industry professionals and serious gamers can't sing it's praises highly enough.  Most people prefer CoD because it's easier, faster and it's far more arcade-y (combination of these 3 is perfect for impatient, low skill-cap people which the vast majority of gamers are), also heaps of 12 year olds.

Regarding Portal II, I've played it and it's fantastic.  Personally speaking, I'd consider it worthy as one of the most highly anticipated sequels for quite some time now and even better than that, it actually lived up to it's name (take that Duke Nukem Forever).
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Mar 20, 2012 09:14:27 am
      (take that Duke Nukem Forever)
      How I loved the originals.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #3: Mar 20, 2012 09:29:50 am

You're not human if you didn't :P
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Mar 20, 2012 09:30:28 am
      You're not human if you didn't :P
      It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum

and I'm all out of gum.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #5: Mar 20, 2012 04:55:08 pm
      Portal 2 deserved everything it got, 2011 game of the year for sure, so no surprise from me... Smart, funny, charming.... just a really enjoyable game!

I think it wasn't really acknowledged on here  because it is a Valve game, <3 , and Id say their main audience is mostly PC.

When we ran a vote on here for best game, it was the likes of BF3, Skyrim, FIFA 12 and Arkham City that pulled in the votes.
      They are the more generic games, big advertising, big audiences but the same old stuff as the year before, you get people who dont really game a lot, maybe due to time, and the games they are going to buy are the ones they see on TV alot or friends play, although, rightly, BF3 deserves sound and online multiplayer for sure.

edit: Looking back through the winners, I have to say, worthy winners in every category! So glad no Call of Duty there :D
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #6: Mar 21, 2012 01:39:05 am
      edit: Looking back through the winners, I have to say, worthy winners in every category! So glad no Call of Duty there :D

Have to agree with the majority too (of course my selections won't be the exact same) but I can definitely see why the particular games which were chosen, were chosen.  Of course they're won't be a CoD game in it, it's not a competition to see how many 12 year olds play the game, nor is it a popularity contest.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #7: Mar 21, 2012 02:12:11 am
      Was surprised to see Portal 2 winning alot.

Decent game but not my taste. I don't own the game but I helped my friend in the Co Op section.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #8: Mar 21, 2012 02:35:27 am
      Was surprised to see Portal 2 winning alot.

Decent game but not my taste. I don't own the game but I helped my friend in the Co Op section.

Yeah I've heard great things about it but I played the demo and It didn't make me want to buy the game in the slightest.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #9: Mar 21, 2012 05:24:53 pm

It had to be LA Noire for this. One of the best soundtracks Ive heard. Love this Game :angel:
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #10: Mar 21, 2012 06:59:42 pm

It had to be LA Noire for this. One of the best soundtracks Ive heard. Love this Game :angel:

Same here. Music in that game shows just how important a good soundtrack can be, its just great and really adds to the game.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #11: May 12, 2012 11:43:29 am
      Agreed that its good than cod isnt there at all and bf3 got a double, Portal 1 was amazing still havent had the pleasure of number 2 yet but I think I'll pick it next time I see it.
      Just ended an argument with the missus caus I said "glad to see there's life after luke skywalker"
      And she wouldnt belive me that he(Mark Hamill) does the voice for the Joker, Google got my back in arguments :p

Quick Reply