Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Best Ground for Atmosphere - Its Official

Read 5206 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Best Ground for Atmosphere - Its Official
      Sep 27, 2007 08:50:13 am
      Just tuned into SSN this morning, they have done a poll of away supporters and Anfield has come out tops for the best atmosphere of any ground  ;)  beating the Nou Camp, Celtic etc  No surprise there then eh maties ?  Our CL final 2005 was also voted the best game ever  ;D ;D  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Tottenham Hotspur - Worst Ground to travel to
      Old Trafford - Best Ground in General
      The Emirates - Best Food (maybe Lumpalard will ask for a transfer  ;) :D :D)

Lets hope the new stadium doesn't take any of that away  ;)

kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Re: Best Ground for Atmosphere - Its Official
      Reply #1: Sep 27, 2007 09:35:08 am
      Like we didnt already know this.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #2: Sep 27, 2007 09:37:34 am
      Lets hope the new stadium doesn't take any of that away  ;)

It's us fans that make the atmosphere, so there shouldn't be any change when we move. As Kelv said, just cofirming what we've known for years really.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #3: Sep 27, 2007 09:43:15 am
      Actually, in a way, surprised by this.  Some Premiership games have terrible atmospheres although this has improved this year.

Agree with the Chelsea 2005 semi game though.  If the atmosphere at Anfield was like that every game I reckon they could charge three times as much for a ticket and it would still sell out.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #4: Sep 27, 2007 09:49:11 am
      If the atmosphere at Anfield was like that every game I reckon they could charge three times as much for a ticket and it would still sell out.

TBH we could probably charge three times as much anyway & sell out, when you consider the prices fans are willing to pay to touts for a ticket & the size of our fanbase.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #5: Sep 27, 2007 10:17:17 am
      Well this ain't no surprise everyone knows Anfield is king when it comes to Stadia Atmosphere.  It makes you laugh when you see the size of places like Stamford Bridge only having half capacity for a Champions league game, a champions league game I hear you say? we have the upper level  above everyone else in the premiership when it comes to to the CL and Skumsea still believe their fans our fully behind them, yeah sure they are.

I heard one in ten Skumsea fans leave the ground after about 5 minutes when they realize they have paid £45 for a flower show with no flowers!
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #6: Sep 27, 2007 02:36:35 pm
      How the hell did the Nou camp get on the list. I've seen a couple of matches at the Nou Camp and they a silent compared to Anfield.

Lfc-jamie14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 112 posts | -2 
      • 'You'll never walk alone'
      Reply #7: Sep 27, 2007 02:42:32 pm
      Always knew it has the best atmosphere in europe
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #8: Sep 27, 2007 03:10:24 pm
      "I heard one in ten Skumsea fans leave the ground after about 5 minutes when they realize they have paid £45 for a flower show with no flowers."
      ha ha, i like that. ;D

I have been standing and sitting on the kop for over 40 years now, and i have seen some very great atmospheres on the kop, i even remember when they used to pack up to 30.000 on the kop, god it was great, till someone need a wee, then it got a bit smelly ;D .
      I'm lucky to say over the years i have been to most English football grounds, and no ones comes even close to the atmosphere Liverpool can do.
      When they start singing YNWL, it still bring a big smile on my face.
      There is only one club who comes very close, and thats Celtic,s ground, never been to Rangers so don't know about them.

Manchester Unt. has alway had the best ground in England, over the years they have always put a lot of money into there ground,
      but I'm glad to say, with my hand on my heart, in a few years, move over Man.U. are new ground will be bigger and better, and we will be No 1 one and off the field.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: Sep 27, 2007 04:11:52 pm
      Of course it's official. But must admit, some league games in the past have been on the quiet side. Hopefully this will keep impoving and it will be back to the way it was when it wasn't all seater. The football's certainly improving....

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #10: Sep 27, 2007 06:28:17 pm
      Does this mean somebody had to ask ? I don't believe it !
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #11: Sep 27, 2007 06:38:45 pm
      I wonder how long it took them to get the answer for best atmosphere....... about 0.01 of a second. Where else
      could it be ::)
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #12: Sep 27, 2007 07:48:28 pm
      There is only one club who comes very close, and thats Celtic,s ground, never been to Rangers so don't know about them.

I've been to both and Rangers do not get the same level of feeling as you do at Parkhead, whatever the game.

Ibrox; 49000+: Parkhead; 59000 +; probably has a bit to do with it.

That said, there is nothing like an "Old Firm" game. I've been at a few including one hailed as the most successful in terms of not having much bother (relatively speaking), and another where someone got slashed with a knife and a fire was started in a toilet (under their own fans - brilliant that). The general atmosphere was the same at both games and the intensity is partly due to genuine hatred for each other that transcends local rivalry. In that respect, I'd say it is the only game that I've seen that perhaps exceeds in atmosphere, but at the heart of it is something unpleasant; a hatred with anger and fear, because of the nature of the how these two clubs started out generally, which has been handed down. One for the mainly Protestant Govan dock workers, the other for the East End Irish Catholic immigrants.

At least Liverpool and Everton fans can mix before and after a game. It maybe an improving situation in Glasgow, but you can still get killed there today for wearing the wrong footie shirt at the wrong time in the wrong place.

I've been to a few Mersey derbies (not recently though) and whilst there can be a few 'harsh words' shall we say, it is without the intensity and animosity of those "Old Firm" occasions. Having experienced both, I'd have to say that's a very good thing.
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #13: Sep 27, 2007 11:35:06 pm
      Great new! Congratulation! I really want to come there someday!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Sep 28, 2007 12:04:41 am
      Great new! Congratulation! I really want to come there someday!

Well you should Chitose! Get planning now! You're part of the red army.... You need to go to Anfield before it's too late.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #15: Sep 28, 2007 02:19:44 am
      How the hell did the Nou camp get on the list. I've seen a couple of matches at the Nou Camp and they a silent compared to Anfield.

It's the microphones, for some reason the cameras sent to the Nou Camp don't have good microphones, it helps the commentators as well
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #16: Sep 28, 2007 08:10:30 am
      No doubting that Anfield is the best atmosphere I have ever experienced. I have only been 3 times and they have been the best 3 days of my life. Unfortunately I have never experienced a European night, and I would love to be able to before the stadium change. That atmosphere in the semi final against Chelsea gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. I definitely hope to get back to Anfield this season when I get back home.

Also having been brought up in Northern Ireland and having strong allegiances with Rangers, I definitely understand the Old Firm rivalry with Celtic. I have been to Ibrox several times, unfortunately more times than Anfield, and even though the atmosphere was great, the bigotry and sectarianism really puts me off. That dampens the atmosphere IMO and therefore I can say Anfield hands down beats Ibrox.

Also don't Liverpool and Pompey fans hold the record for highest decibels during a game??
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #17: Sep 28, 2007 01:54:55 pm
      Also don't Liverpool and Pompey fans hold the record for highest decibels during a game??

I thought that was just us? Anyway, if it is pompey as well, then they're cheating. We don't have some gimp ringing a bell all the way through the game...
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #18: Sep 28, 2007 02:06:25 pm
      I thought that was just us? Anyway, if it is pompey as well, then they're cheating. We don't have some gimp ringing a bell all the way through the game...

That's for the cows - and they weren't booing, they were mooing, and they have to be loud to make sure they are herd...  :f_whistle:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #19: Sep 28, 2007 02:09:53 pm
      That's for the cows - and they weren't booing, they were mooing, and they have to be loud to make sure they are herd...  :f_whistle:

Actually, the fella who rings the bell has a resemblance to that of a cow. Good thinking.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #20: Sep 28, 2007 02:14:19 pm

PMS laughing, Hang you head in shame, you've got more Corn than the jolly green giant
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #21: Sep 28, 2007 05:16:27 pm
      yea i have to agree with matt on this i too was brought up in NI (only im more Celtic than Rangers) and i have been to celtic park and anfield and the nou camp, those three are the top 3 in europe i think (1.Anfeild 2.Celtic Park and 3.Nou camp) i really hope the new stadium keeps the atmosphere the same, but if you look at teh design i think it will be better, its designed to echo so the atmosphere will allways be biulding, not to mention it will be at least 60,000 :)
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: Sep 29, 2007 10:10:03 pm
      Great post Smigger. I saw it on SSN the other day and wasn't really surprised to be honest. Awesome.

Quick Reply