Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Summer 2012.... Who Goes and Where Do We Need To Strengthen?

Read 13791 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Summer 2012.... Who Goes and Where Do We Need To Strengthen?
      May 14, 2012 12:16:28 pm
      No doubt that the 2011-12 season will go down as a mixed season for LFC.... We won a trophy, but faltered in the league...

For me its a goal-scorer, and a left winger.

We need a striker who will bang us 20+ goals a season, and Downing clearly cannot cut it here, so we need to replace him.

I'd move the following on:

Jones - Gulasci can be 3rd choice
      Aurelio - Being Released
      Cole- £5m plus would be great for us.
      Maxi - Deserves 1st team football
      Kuyt - Great servant, but not getting any younger
      Downing - Poor - and makes us poorer when he plays.
      Spearing - Loan him out
      Wilson - Not really getting a sniff here.
      Carragher - Move him on to the coaching team.

We need 2 strong players, for EVERY position, this summer will be defining as to whether we will return to the top of English football, or sink into mid table mediocrity.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Summer 2012.... Who Goes and Where Do We Need To Strengthen?
      Reply #1: May 14, 2012 12:31:54 pm
      Sigurdsson, Hoilett/Moses, Giroud
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: May 14, 2012 12:36:21 pm
      Keep

Goalkeeper - Reina, Jones OR Doni, Gulacsi can be 3rd choice

RB - Johnson, Kelly, Flanagan
      LB - Enrique, Robinson
      CB - Skrtel, Agger, Coates, Carragher can still play a part but he has to be 4th choice, Wilson

Midfielders - Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Downing, Spearing, Shelvey, Aquilani (if he wants to stay), Cole, Adam

Forwards - Suarez, Carroll, Kuyt

Player in red denotes players who can be kept because we need strength in depth and selling them means we have to buy more players also.

First 11, these should be the spine -

Reina

Johnson         Skrtel                Agger              Enrique

Lucas             

Gerrard           *new*

Suarez           *new*                *new*

But this doesn't have to be the primary formation, that's why we should have versatile players as well so we can switch around whenever.

I like Carroll but I'm unsure if he's actually the type of player we should have as a first team player. I just prefer a more fluid/mobile type of player.

Out
      Aurelio's contract ends.
      Maxi - seems to definitely be leaving
      Kuyt - I love the man but if we can do better, I don't see why we can't afford to let him go
      Jones OR Doni -
      Wilson - looks to be even behind Coates and Kelly even for CB
      Cole - if we can do better, why not?
      Aquilani - if he doesn't want to stay, why not?
      Downing - not sure if he'll make it here but he may be a decent squad player.
      Adam - it's just .. Adam. Not impressed with him to be honest.
      Spearing - he's only good as a Lucas cover. Sometimes look well out of his depth.

As you can see, we need a creative midfielder, at least two wingers (AMs who can play wide) and a forward anyway (two forwards are just not enough). As we only have Enrique and Robinson, maybe another left back would do as well.

In terms if priority

1. Striker - We need someone who can tuck them away. Suarez's, no matter how good he is, he just isn't as clinical as he is in Netherlands and you could say he wastes alot of chances and has the lowest conversion rate in the team. Amazing creator, though. Would love someone like Llorente. Wouldn't mind someone like Messi or Aguero even!!!

2. Wingers/wide AMs (2) - Serious lack of pace down the wings and players who can create and score goals. Shame we didn't sign someone like Mata. Kagawa, Muniain and Lee Chung-Yong are the type of players we could use. Trickery and intelligence football wise.

3. Midfielder - Someone who can control the game and partner Lucas. Javi Martinez is one I like.

4. Left back - No idea!

Then we have the youth players coming through - Suso, Sterling, hopefully Wisdom as well.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: May 14, 2012 01:08:37 pm
      I don't get why some people still have Stevie G as a lynchpin in the team after his injury problems over the last 15 months and also his age.

Our performances/results this season, by and and large, have been better without him on the pitch, barring the derby. 

Yes he's been an outstanding player for the Club his whole career and he should continue to be part of the squad but I believe the time has come to start looking to the future and not to the past.

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #4: May 14, 2012 01:14:37 pm
      This how I would like - and realistically see our new starting 11 lining up.

Reina

Johnson         Skrtel                Agger              Enrique

Lucas             

Gerrard           JohnJo

Suarez           Carroll       *New Striker

Subs; Jones, Kelly, Sterling, Hendo, Suso, Spearing

For me the following need to leave

Aqua, Cole, Kuyt, Maxi, Doni, Wilson, Aurelio, Adam, Downing       

This leaves us with plenty of money to spend on the new striker before we even ask for more money! We need wingers, but unless we play with out and out wingers then why bother? Play 3 up top with Suarez and the new striker going wide - Johnson and Enreque crossing in to Carroll and him laying it down to said strikers... Gerrard and Johnjo to boss center of the parkand Lucas to mop up behind them. For me this works, needs little investement and is acheivable...
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #5: May 14, 2012 01:23:56 pm
      We need a goalscoring centre midfielder, because we don't score enough goals from Midfield. We also need a holding midfielder just in case Lucas picks up an injury again. I really like Spearing, but I just don't think he'll make it here.

We also need a new winger, who'll feed a new goalscoring striker.

My choices are:

Mohamed Diame
      Munian
      Moses
      Sigurdsson
      Hoilett
      .... and I'd break the bank for a striker, whether it be for Llorente or for Soldado.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #6: May 14, 2012 03:29:10 pm
      Get rid: Aurelio, Maxi, Cole, Aqua, Jones, Wilson, Eccleston, Darby, and Amoo.

All of those players are excess to requirements, will never make it at the club, or do not want to be here, so why keep them here?

As for the bringing in, I'd say we need 5 players and around 60-70 million pounds (including sales).

1. Striker - Our highest priority by a country mile. I don't want an unproven finisher, I want someone that is proven in a major league (not Luuk De Jong). I don't want to rely on the fact that De Jong will be able to translate his fantastic scoring form into this league. Soldado would be perfect for me, and I think he could replace the gap left by Torres.

2. A Winger - This has to be up there. A pacy winger, that can easily beat a man, and put in delightful crosses. Someone in the mould of Antonio Valencia. A traditional right winger, perhaps taking a punt on Matt Phillips of Blackpool.

3. Attacking Midfielder - This is my third priority. Someone like Nasri, Sigurdsson, etc. A goalscoring midfielder, who c an play that final killer ball or score that sweet goal. My choice would  be Gaston Ramirez. He reminds me greatly of Juan Mata and David Silva, in the sense that they started out as wide men, but are much better in the center of the park.

4. Central Midfielder - Someone like Ramsus Elm who can provide competition. This isn't that big, but I'd like to see him in to provide competition.

5. A Bellamy-esque player - This would be Luuk De Jong. Someone who can play right winger or striker (essentally a younger Bellamy or Kuyt). I would not like De Jong to be the big striker that we bring in though.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #7: May 14, 2012 04:38:10 pm
      Out:  Doni (released), Aurelio (released), Spearo (3M), Adam (4M), Maxi (1M), Cole (3.5M), Kuyt (4M), Pacheco (1M), *Aqua (3.5M)*  -  Total:  20M

***  If Aqua is willing to stay and fight for his place here then I'd keep him.  If not, get what we can for him.

In:  Players in bold would be my preferred choices

CDM -  One of Etienne Capoue, Lars Bender, Yann M'Vila or Luis Gustavo (cost between 10-20M)

RW -  One of Ibrahim Affelay, Adam Johnson, or Milos Krasic (cost between 8-15M)

ST - One of Luuk De Jong, Roberto Soldado, or Kevin Gameiro (cost between 10-17M)

CF - One of Gaston Ramirez, Stephane Sessegnon, Younes Belhanda (cost between 8-15M)

This would total about 50-55M spent, but would only require about 30-35M of investment after player sales. 

GK:  Reina, Jones, Gulasci
      RB:  Johno, Kelly, Flano
      CB:  Skrtel, Agger, Coates, Carra, Guztavo, Wilson
      LB:  Enrique, Robo, Johno
      RM:  Affelay, Downing, Hendo
      CM:  Lucas, Guztavo, Gerrard, Hendo, Shelvey, *Aqua*
      LM:  Downing, Bellamy, Sterling
      CF:  Gerrard, Bellamy, Ramirez, Suarez
      ST:  Carrol, Soldado, Suarez, Bellamy

1st/2nd choice

Pepe/Gulasci
      Johno/Kelly  Skrtel/Coates  Agger/Carra  Enrique/Robo
                     Guztavo/Lucas  Gerrard/Hendo
      Affelay/Downing    Suarez/Ramirez      Bellamy/Sterling
                                Soldado/Carrol
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #8: May 14, 2012 04:56:56 pm
      Out:  Doni (released), Aurelio (released), Spearo (3M), Adam (4M), Maxi (1M), Cole (3.5M), Kuyt (4M), Pacheco (1M), *Aqua (3.5M)*  -  Total:  20M

***  If Aqua is willing to stay and fight for his place here then I'd keep him.  If not, get what we can for him.

CDM -  One of Etienne Capoue, Lars Bender, Yann M'Vila or Luis Gustavo (cost between 10-20M)

RW -  One of Ibrahim Affelay, Adam Johnson, or Milos Krasic (cost between 8-15M)

ST - One of Luuk De Jong, Roberto Soldado, or Kevin Gameiro (cost between 10-17M)

CF - One of Gaston Ramirez, Stephane Sessegnon, Younes Belhanda (cost between 8-15M)

This would total about 50-55M spent, but would only require about 30-35M of investment after player sales. 

1st/2nd choice

Pepe/Gulasci
                                Soldado/Carrol

Not a bad squad. Dislike that Lucas wouldn't be starting, though, as well as the fact that Bellamy can't be first choice every game, and neither can Sterling.
      Bier
      Reply #9: May 14, 2012 05:03:56 pm
      Do you know something about Luis Gustavo that I don't harry? Do you really think a regular of Bayern Munich would be interested in joining us?
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #10: May 14, 2012 05:30:54 pm

1st/2nd choice

Pepe/Gulasci
                                Soldado/Carrol

Will Jonjo Shelvey be in hibernation for next season then? ;)
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #11: May 14, 2012 05:35:12 pm
      Do you know something about Luis Gustavo that I don't harry? Do you really think a regular of Bayern Munich would be interested in joining us?
      Gustavo is phenomenal, I too can't see Bayern letting him go.
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #12: May 14, 2012 06:16:33 pm

I think we would have a very difficult time prying him away from Munich.  With Schweiny returning to full fitness he will have a harder time getting regular minutes ahead of Kroos and Schweiny, but I doubt we could get him.  That is why I listed a few options for each position.  I just think it is important that whoever we get for the CDM role is also capable of filling in for us at CB if and when needed because we all know that Agger can be injury prone....

Will Jonjo Shelvey be in hibernation for next season then? ;)

Jonjo is listed in the squad, but would need to leapfrog Hendo in the pecking order to be considered 2nd choice for any of the positions in the team.

This is just a hypothetical team I put together with players that I like.  If I had to bet on it I would say we most likely won't see any of these players at LFC for next season :(
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: May 14, 2012 06:48:58 pm
      I think after the season we have had the chance of any big names gracing us with there ability will be very low . I could and really hope that im wrong but we have fell right down in the transfer pecking order , we will need to see who utd city and the other elite teams in europe dont want anymore . However im not ruling out the chance of Messi gracing the turf off anfield !!!!!!
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #14: May 14, 2012 07:10:41 pm
      I think It's fairly obvious to see we need quite a few players to make a difference to our league position next year,

Another holding midfielder is a must, but above all i think we need players who are going to take responsibility who have the mentality to play for our club. No more heartless confidence players, just quality and the correct attitude.
      Gus
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      Reply #15: May 14, 2012 08:33:14 pm
      k - jones
      LB - aurellio
      M - sprearing and adams
      AM - cole, Maxi(shame i like him though), and Aqua (just never had a red heart)
      Keep Kuyt as he has a red heart.
      Then use funds for 3 -4 mouth watering talents with a playmaker thrown in for good luck !!!
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #16: May 14, 2012 08:36:45 pm
      My preferred players would be Elm, Hoilett, Ola John, De Jong.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #17: May 14, 2012 09:01:29 pm
      Back in Europe so we need the requisite 8 home grown players, 4 from our youth ranks 4 from England. 

From Our Ranks

Gerrard
      Spearing
      Kelly
      Flanagan??
      Carragher??
      Robinson??
      Ecclestone??

Home Grown

Johnson
      Jones??
      Carroll
      Henderson
      Downing
      Cole??
      Bellamy??

Think the ones with question marks are doubts and I'm not sure if Robinson has HG status with us yet.

For me I think it means Carra will get one more year, bit part player/coach role though.

lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Reply #18: May 14, 2012 09:23:42 pm
      Bring in Muniain, Affelay, Ramirez, Cavani (*crosses fingers*) and maybe a few youngsters that could play as back up - replacements for Kuyt and Maxi, who were subs anyway.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #19: May 14, 2012 09:46:26 pm
      If Whiskey Nose can stop us buying Gabriel Heinze a few years ago, he'll stop us buying Berbatov. This will never happen.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #20: May 14, 2012 11:16:05 pm
      k - jones
      LB - aurellio
      M - sprearing and adams
      AM - cole, Maxi(shame i like him though), and Aqua (just never had a red heart)
      Keep Kuyt as he has a red heart.
      Then use funds for 3 -4 mouth watering talents with a playmaker thrown in for good luck !!!
      Whose Sprearing and Adams. ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #21: May 15, 2012 12:17:51 pm
      Where do we need to strengthen?

The wings and attack no question.  I'd like to see at least one striker and maybe an extra, young promising striker too.  We have not had many options when our strikers have been misfiring.  More competition up front will definitely focus the minds.

Downing clearly hasn't worked out.  He may be someone to use in cups/Europe next season but he isn't a first choice player.

Spearing, Shelvey, Adam and Henderson have all looked very iffy at times (not helped by the absence of Lucas), and with Gerrard' continuing decline we are probably going to need to look for another attacking central midfielder and keep our fingers crossed over a recovery to Lucas.

We had one of the better defences last season so I see no pressing need to bolster there just yet - not our priority.

£20M striker
      £15M winger
      £15M centre mid
      £5M young striker

£55M.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: May 15, 2012 06:39:45 pm
      Next year's team:

Reina

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Agger
      Enrique

Lucas
      Henderson

Suarez/AM
      Gerrard
      AM

Carroll/Suarez/New ST

Players who I'd want in here, realistically? Borja Valero, Gaston Ramirez, and Milos Krasic.

Quick Reply