Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Sir Kenny Dalglish: Appreciation Thread

Read 235920 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Kenny Dalglish Appreciation Thread
      Reply #2668: Jun 16, 2015 06:55:02 pm
      And could be play Walt.......

He made relatively poor players look competent, competent players look good and good players great.

That's not even touching on the goals he scored!

maybe its a great case for signing intelligent players rather than donkeys
      hof_liverpool
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #2669: Dec 17, 2015 10:41:48 am
      Kenny Dalglish - a look back on his amazing footballing career!

50min interview with the Liverpool Legend:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPdn5zwZcgk
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2670: Dec 17, 2015 11:58:31 am
      Dalglish! Dalglish! Dalglish!.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #2671: Dec 17, 2015 12:41:19 pm
      Dalglish! Dalglish! Dalglish!.

Eloquently put Shabs and seconded!

Dalglish! Dalglish! Dalglish!
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2672: Dec 17, 2015 12:51:41 pm
      Can't get enough of the King. Still my favourite Liverpool personality.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2673: Dec 17, 2015 01:32:14 pm
      King Kenny

Mr Liverpool .
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2674: Dec 17, 2015 01:37:56 pm
      A fantastic manager and an even better player. The type of guy for whom the word "legend" was invented. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2675: Dec 17, 2015 01:55:07 pm
      As good as he was as a player in my eyes he is an even better human being.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2676: Dec 17, 2015 03:58:48 pm
      Mates,I come to apologize.For my post on this thread.First off,the "Appreciation" in the thread title went over my head.I just read "Kenny Dalglish" and clicked to leave my opinion.It´s very offensive to post this here,and for that I apologize to you.Second,though I stand by my statement that the stature of a player should not influence the opinion of them as manager,it´s unnecesary on here,and what I said afterwards is shameful stuff for this thread.My ignorance on Kenny´s background as player-manager/manager has been painfully peeled back.I now know so much more than just the 11/12 season and the Blackburn title.I already held him in legendary player status but he is a true manager legend,and player-manager,doesn´t get nicer than that.Young and stupid,call me.Even though I still think he could have done better in that 11/12,I would have 100% stood behind him knowing his record,on top of that the cup win,no doubt.He earned that.It is unbelievably embarrasing to write something like "his departure was for the best" on here.

Please believe me,I worship the concept of objectivity,and hate bold ignorance.I was boldly subjective and ignorant,and again,it is ever so much worse due to this being an appreciation thread.I apologize to everyone who read my post,wish I could delete it.But I posted it,please forgive me.It hurt me very much to see fellow Liverpool fans call me out,but you were all right to do so.Feel especially stupid for I myself have done it.The worst was my loyalty,my colors being questioned.I assure you I am deeply red,I hope you can read my future or past posts objectively and I´ll continue to try to post responsibly to gain your respect again.From a Liverpool fan,I am deeply sorry,please accept my apologies.

Max Respect  mate.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #2677: Dec 17, 2015 04:25:20 pm
      The way Mr Dalglish conducted himself on the day of the Hillsborough tragedy and his unfailing emotional and physical support in the following 26 years tells you all you need to know about the man and his devotion to Liverpool FC and the people of this city.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2678: Dec 17, 2015 06:17:35 pm
      I know there's no man bigger than the club, but none will ever get closer than King Kenny.

siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #2679: Dec 17, 2015 06:41:54 pm
      DALGLISH!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2680: Dec 17, 2015 08:26:19 pm
      I know there's no man bigger than the club, but none will ever get closer than King Kenny.

Luke, Kenny to me is Liverpool Football Club.

I have a business associate who is very close to the Dalglish family, Kenny is a very rare & unique individual.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4972 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2681: Dec 17, 2015 09:44:30 pm
      Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish,

what a player, what a manager, what a man, I take great pride that he and I hail from the same parts, and were raised with the same take on life, he has remained grounded despite his global notoriety, for me he will always be regarded as the best player to have played for Liverpool, with Ste a close second,

The word Legend is banded around to easily these days, but this man truly is a Liverpool football club Legend, and stands very comfortably next to the Bill Shankly's and Bob Paisley's of this world,

Some say he is deserving of a knighthood, however, Kenny would not want that bestowed on him, and if I'm honest nor would I , he is a very humble man and that's the way he would like it to stay, such accolades would not alter his status, unlike other famous Glaswegian's I could mention,

HAIL THE KING

YNWA
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2682: Dec 18, 2015 08:51:33 am
      No man should ever have to go through what Kenny Dalglish went through  at and immediately after Hillsborough. I  have seen many great men associated with Liverpool but Kenny Dalglish in my mind is one of the greatest he kept this club together and without him I dread to think what would of happened.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #2683: Dec 18, 2015 04:42:40 pm
      Love everything about him.

Been to see the new Star Wars today. Surely, if anyone was to be a Jedi, it would be Kenny 😁. Humble, composed, powerful.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2684: Dec 24, 2015 07:25:45 pm
      Seems our Kenny didn't really like Paul Walsh or vice versa.

Apologies if already posted in the past but found it an interesting little read.

Ex-Liverpool star Paul Walsh: I was a drunk during my last season at Anfield under Kenny Dalglish
      17:39, 13 SEP 2015 UPDATED 17:39, 13 SEP 2015 BY ANDY KELLY
      The former Anfield striker has spoken about his time on Merseyside ahead of the release of his autobiography

Honest: Walsh has given a candid account of his time at Anfield
      Liverpool lost at Manchester United yesterday, but for one former Red, the fixture against the old enemy stands out more than most.

His injury time equaliser in an FA Cup semi-final at Goodison Park secured a replay, even though that was eventually lost.

The striker's stunning 1985/6 campaign came to a shuddering halt when he injured himself in a challenge with Kevin Moran, all but ending his season and costing him his place in a Merseyside derby FA Cup final.

Walsh had scored 18 goals in 25 matches at the start of that season and still managed to end up in the PFA team of the year, despite playing just two games after February 9, report the Liverpool Echo.

For the former Reds striker though the real villain of the peace was not Republic of Ireland international Moran, with whom he tangled to rupture his ankle ligaments, but the subsequent efforts of the Anfield hierarchy to sort it out.

“It was just an accident. We jumped and my leg got caught between his and it turned my ankle round. I was having the best run of my life,” recalls the 52-year-old Londoner.

“Having to keep Kenny (Dalglish) happy, keep him off the pitch because sometimes he was sub and would bring himself on for me.

“I was looking at the run-in towards a League title and a potential FA Cup final and it all just disappeared in that instant.

“I genuinely wanted to please Kenny and wanted him to think I was a good player but I never really knew if I had that approval.

"I’m not sure I ever did because he was happy to let me go in the end and brought other players in and put them in front of me. Only Kenny has the answers, I haven’t.

“I wanted to stay at Liverpool, I was having my best run but I got the injury and the medical situation at the club was diabolical and didn’t help me recover quickly.”

For a club that was dominating the British football world in the 1980s, the response to injuries at Anfield did seem even beyond “old-school”.

Walsh says: “If you had an infection of any sort, you got red or black penicillin. If you got any sort of knock, you got an anti-inflammatory. But if you had anything worse than that, they’d just treat it without knowing what it was.

“For physios you had Roy Evans and Ronnie Moran – if they thought it was maybe something worse they’d sent you to the surgeon and he’d try and work out what it was.

“With my injury, I’d ruptured my ankle ligaments but I’m just having treatment as if it’s a sprain. I’m having ultrasound for four months and the fella comes round to test the machine and says it’s not even been working!

“I had two or three weeks of treatment and then I’m back running, trying to get fit. I don’t even know I’ve ruptured my ligaments.

"Kenny begged me to play in a game against Sheffield Wednesday (end of March 1986). ‘Wee man just give me an hour’ he said but I could barely run.

"I was suspicious of his motives in playing me. When you were injured at Liverpool you still got all the bonuses and I think that pi**ed him off.

"By playing me he was saying I was fit and so I wasn’t entitled to the bonuses when I wasn’t in the team. I never got another one.

“The next season I went in and saw him about the bonuses which were £125 a point in the first team and he said ‘I’ll give you the next one’.

"That next game was an early round of the League Cup and the bonus was ÂŁ15 per leg! Typical Kenny he was giving me ÂŁ30 of a bonus.

“I found it really difficult being injured.

"When the lads won the FA Cup semi against Southampton at White Hart Lane, coming back on the coach I wanted to be happy for my team but personally I knew I probably wasn’t going to be involved and I found it really hard.”

By the time of that first all-Merseyside Cup Final, Walsh had recovered enough for a place in the 15 but didn’t make the 12-man teamsheet on the day and a recent discovery has left him further bemused by his manager’s views towards him.

“There was the 12 and then there was me, Sammy Lee and John Wark. You only get a medal if you played in them days but about a year ago I found out Kenny got John Wark a medal.

"Why? Warky played about six games that season and I’d played 25 to 30.”

Walsh believes a major dressing room row at the start of the double winning season may have been part of the decline in his relationship with Dalglish, one that was never likely to be perfect given he was bought by Joe Fagan as the King’s ultimate successor.

“We were playing Oxford and Ronnie Whelan came off after 20-odd minutes and I was on. We come in at half-time and he lurched towards me and said I wasn’t even trying.

“Well I wasn’t having that. I don’t care who he is. That’s insulting where I come from.”

Walsh’s expletive-laden response led to him being transfer listed – and a message from Dalglish was sent down the bus on the way back.

“I had played 70 minutes and he sent Roy Evans down the bus to say I was in for training on the Sunday. I knew Roy thought he’d been unreasonable, so he just told me to come in and ‘have a bath’ and go home which I did.

"I probably spent all the time slagging him off because I had that in my locker. If I was going, i was going to go in a blaze of glory, on my terms.”

Walsh admits that his last season at Liverpool was one he regrets, with his professionalism levels dropping.

“My last season at Liverpool I was a drunkard. I never played a game. All I did was travel with the team everywhere and get pi**ed. I wasn’t playing football except in the reserves. When he rang me up and said ‘we’ve agreed a fee with Tottenham’ I said ‘yeah’.

“I had got into bad habits to console myself. I went out. Kenny took me everywhere but never even put me on the bench. I had to go, I wasn’t wanted.

“But listen, It’s 30 years ago, it doesn’t matter now.”
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2685: Dec 24, 2015 07:53:44 pm
      Seems our Kenny didn't really like Paul Walsh or vice versa.

Apologies if already posted in the past but found it an interesting little read.

Thanks for posting it.

Very talented player, but one who went missing in a lot of games when he looked like he just didn't fancy it, while in other games he put on a show to rival anyone. Probably up there with the likes of Beardsley talent wise, but never put the effort in consistently.

Must admit I have heard a few horror stories about Liverpool's poor medical treatment of players. 

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2686: Dec 24, 2015 09:47:17 pm
      Thanks for posting it.

Very talented player, but one who went missing in a lot of games when he looked like he just didn't fancy it, while in other games he put on a show to rival anyone. Probably up there with the likes of Beardsley talent wise, but never put the effort in consistently.

Must admit I have heard a few horror stories about Liverpool's poor medical treatment of players. 

Paul used to get in a pub I had over in Kent. Extremly nice fella and very complimentary about every aspect of LFC whenever it got mentioned.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2687: Dec 25, 2015 12:55:36 am
      Paul used to get in a pub I had over in Kent. Extremly nice fella and very complimentary about every aspect of LFC whenever it got mentioned.

Yeah seems alright on the telly to be honest so I can imagine that Mick. Any manager isn't going to be everybody's friend I suppose.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2688: Dec 25, 2015 07:34:39 am

Comes across that way on TV.  I think he had a difficult time at Liverpool, so to be complimentary and positive about the club says a lot.

I think he had an almost impossible job trying to replace Kenny, particularly because Kenny was still here and still a great player. So all the fans wanted Kenny to play no matter what Paul did.   
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #2689: Dec 25, 2015 12:50:32 pm
      From what I remember of Paul Walsh at Liverpool, he was a decent, if under-used player. Too bad if things didn't work out. That's life in general. He surely couldn't have honestly believed he could have replaced the king...??
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2690: Dec 26, 2015 10:53:13 am

This is one thing that doesn't surprise me Saint.

Share us a horror story...

Quick Reply