Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Sir Kenny Dalglish: Appreciation Thread

Read 235877 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,013 posts | 2088 
      Re: Sir Kenny Dalglish: Appreciation Thread
      Reply #2852: Sep 02, 2021 11:42:41 pm
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #2853: Sep 03, 2021 07:27:10 am

Superb innit - never saw it before!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2854: Sep 03, 2021 11:28:37 am
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,898 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2855: Sep 03, 2021 01:35:28 pm
      Arguably our best player since 1892, imagine if he were around today the goals he would create, he was a genius  on the pitch and a great leader off it, a true working class hero as humble as they come, he is as close as your going to get to perfection, a living legend and a great humanist alongside side Marina his wife…….

All Hail the King….and Queen!!

Y  N  W  A
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8516 
      Reply #2856: Sep 03, 2021 03:58:10 pm
      Arguably our best player since 1892

Y  N  W  A

John Barnes says hello.

I'd easily put Barnesy alongside Kenny.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,898 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2857: Sep 03, 2021 06:03:58 pm
      John Barnes says hello.

I'd easily put Barnesy alongside Kenny.

He’s up there mate for sure but I’d give Kenny the edge me being Scottish, Billy Liddell too was pretty tasty by all accounts but different era’s so can’t properly compare, but yes Digger’s probably in the top three, and I’d have the G man in there too .

Y  N  W  A
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,684 posts | 3359 
      Reply #2858: Mar 06, 2023 09:31:13 pm
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,002 posts | 3350 
      Reply #2859: Dec 17, 2023 10:59:54 am
      SPOTY Lifetime Achievement Award

Liverpool and Scotland legend Sir Kenny Dalglish will be honoured with the Lifetime Achievement award at BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

The 72-year-old won eight league titles and three European Cups as a player and manager at Anfield after joining the club from Celtic in 1977.

Dalglish, who also led Blackburn to the title, is Scotland's most-capped male player and joint record goalscorer.

"Receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award is truly an honour," he said.

"I have always believed in the importance of team success, and I wouldn't be where I am today without all of the players I've played with, the people I've worked for, and the supporters that stood by me, so this is for them."

Glasgow-born Dalglish began his career at Celtic, where he won four Scottish league titles before Liverpool paid a then British record transfer fee of £440,000 to sign him.

In his first season with the Merseyside club he scored 31 goals, including the only goal in the 1978 European Cup final against Bruges at Wembley.

He would go on to win a further two European Cups and five league titles before becoming player-manager at the age of 35 in May 1985.

"To go from the dressing room to the manager's office, I wasn't always the most comfortable, but I had fantastic support from senior people at Liverpool," Dalglish said.

"The most comfortable place for me as a player was in the dressing room. I missed the dressing room, but you've got to move on in your life and that is what destiny was telling me, move on."

Despite his unease, Dalglish thrived in the role as Liverpool claimed their first domestic league and cup Double in 1986, and two more league titles before he announced his shock resignation in February 1991.

Dalglish was the club's manager at the time of the Hillsborough disaster in 1989. Ninety-seven Liverpool fans died as a result of a crush during an FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.

The Scot ensured the club was represented at the fans' funerals and, along with his wife Marina, helped support bereaved families.

In a biopic about Dalglish's life, Marina and their daughter Kelly spoke about the impact of the Hillsborough disaster on him, and how it eventually led to his resignation.

After leaving Liverpool, where he had ended his playing career with 515 appearances and 172 goals, Dalglish took charge at Blackburn Rovers and guided the club to the Premiership title in 1995.

Short spells at Newcastle United and back at Celtic followed and, after an 11-year break from management, he returned to Liverpool in 2011 to lead them to League Cup success - the club's first trophy in six years. He was sacked three months later after an eighth-place Premier League finish.

Speaking about Liverpool, where he is known as 'King Kenny', Dalglish said: "The football club means everything to ourselves as a family.

"Glasgow and Liverpool are very similar. Obviously, they have shipyards with two teams in the city. But for me, the people were fantastic as well. They've got a real sense of humour and they take time to talk to you."

On the international stage, Dalglish played 102 times for Scotland, scoring 30 goals.

Fellow football legends Sir Alex Ferguson, George Best, Sir Bobby Charlton and Pele have previously won the Lifetime Achievement award.

In 2022, the award was won by Jamaica's eight-time Olympic gold medal-winning sprinter Usain Bolt.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year takes place on Tuesday, 19 December at MediaCityUK in Salford.
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/67714256
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #2860: Dec 17, 2023 11:14:42 am
      Always the king. Always a class act. Always my favourite. I remember writing to him as a kid around the mid 80s asking for his autograph and if I could train with the team. I'd have been around 8 or 9. Got a letter back with his autograph plus some others.

There was a shop nearby that put numbers on shirts too ... mum and dad couldn't afford the official strip so I got a plain one from a sports shop in town and they put 7 on the back for me. Was made up.

Gerrard and Salah are up there. But Kenny for so many reasons, including those beyond the pitch is just the greatest we've ever had in my opinion. Can't find the words to truly do justice what he means to me, all our supporters and this football club.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #2861: Dec 17, 2023 02:30:41 pm
      Always a class act and like Don said always my favourite because he was my first favourite player and we have had a lot of great players in all my time as a supporter that am very very very proud of.  But Mount Kenny Dalglish stands tallest.  Unparallel for us  that is without disrespecting other greats.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,163 posts | 717 
      Reply #2862: Dec 17, 2023 03:00:32 pm
      For me he stands at the peak of the LFC mountain....from the day he walked into the Club he has always given..and never taken.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,013 posts | 2088 
      Reply #2863: Dec 18, 2023 01:18:01 am
      A rare moment of deserved recognition from a ceremony that has become utterly cringe worthy and totally irrelevant.

Quick Reply