Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Whats Happened !

Read 8496 times
      welshy7777
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 155 posts |
      Re: Whats Happened !
      Reply #23: May 31, 2012 12:57:16 am
      Rodgers' theory of adopting a style where the ability of the opposition is almost irrelavent as they don't have the ball could just work. ...EH???????
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,950 posts | 5009 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #24: May 31, 2012 01:00:56 am
      Is your shift key fu**ed?

Seriously though, good post and I agree.
      Joking aside, I'm not expecting Rodgers to come in and instantly turn us into a world dominating team with beautiful tiki-taka football but I see this as potentially a very shrewd appointment by FSG. They know we can't go toe-to-toe with Citeh or Chavski financially so we needed to find a way of building gradually and Rodgers' theory of adopting a style where the ability of the opposition is almost irrelavent as they don't have the ball could just work. If/when that works, we will climb the table and start earning more money which we can then spend on players that will fit that system and on to the next level.
      I'm cautiously excited.

Seems a great idea to me mate, just hope FSG have the patience, Rodgers ticks all the boxes as far as building for the future is concerned, and you are of course right when you say reaching CL football in his first season may prove to be a bridge to far, but you never know,we played some great stuff last this season, and with a bit more luck in front of goal would have finished much higher,

i think we just need a bit of tweaking here and there, with a addition or 3, only time will tell, roll on August i say.

incidentlymy shiftkeyiso k ;D
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #25: May 31, 2012 01:05:38 am
      Rodgers' theory of adopting a style where the ability of the opposition is almost irrelavent as they don't have the ball could just work. ...EH?

It's the theory that if you play high possession football, building patiently with short passing movements then it doesn't matter if the other team have the best striker in the world. If they don't have possession of the ball then they can't hurt you.
      Obviously the caliber of players does still matter as better players will be better at this tiki-take stuff, so Barca should beat Swansea, for example.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #26: May 31, 2012 01:08:40 am
       There's no "theory" in saying if you have possession of the football the other team can't score, it's a statement of fact (unless one of your players is a double agent and is actually playing for them, kind of Howard Webb style).
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #27: May 31, 2012 01:09:39 am
      There's no "theory" in saying if you have possession of the football the other team can't score, it's a statement of fact (unless one of your players is a double agent and is actually playing for them, kind of Howard Webb style).

Haha, fair point. What I was hinting at is that it's one thing saying it and another implementing it.
      welshy7777
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 155 posts |
      Reply #28: May 31, 2012 01:10:40 am
      Champions League football i must add is not an added carrott to boost the coffers..but a competition that a club like Liverpool should be competing in every season enabling us as a football club to attract players of a standard that should be playing at Liverpool.Sorry people but it pains me to say it looking at some posts on this forum,that a lot of Liverpool fans have just come to accept that average is acceptable these days.To be honest i heard the news of Brendan Rodgers pending announcment while in work today,and to be honest it didnt surprise me...it hasnt set off any fireworks for me and i dont think ill be proved wrong by December.The calibre of people interviewed by FSG falls way below the standard for Liverpool in my opinion,and the way its been handled publicly is a shambles,i hope im far from wrong but i think FSG have just blown the hull doors off in spectacular fashion!!!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #29: May 31, 2012 01:22:23 am
      That's fair enough Welshy, you're entitled to think that and it may turn out to be right. None of us know, FSG included so we'll just have to throw our support behind Rodgers and see how it pans out.
      It's a gamble, definitely a gamble but personally I don't think it's a case of settling for anything as far as FSG are concerned. I believe that they want to make money by making us a genuine force rather than going down the same route of far richer teams in trying to sign the biggest name manager and the biggest name players, they are trying to put together a team (by that I mean management structure) who will work well together and hopefully bring something new to English football.
      Again, we can't go toe-to-toe with the richer clubs any more, we have to innovate.

I may be wrong, you may be wrong. No way of telling yet.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #30: May 31, 2012 01:27:06 am
      That's fair enough Welshy, you're entitled to think that and it may turn out to be right. None of us know, FSG included so we'll just have to throw our support behind Rodgers and see how it pans out.
      It's a gamble, definitely a gamble but personally I don't think it's a case of settling for anything as far as FSG are concerned. I believe that they want to make money by making us a genuine force rather than going down the same route of far richer teams in trying to sign the biggest name manager and the biggest name players, they are trying to put together a team (by that I mean management structure) who will work well together and hopefully bring something new to English football.
      Again, we can't go toe-to-toe with the richer clubs any more, we have to innovate.

I may be wrong, you may be wrong. No way of telling yet.

Not often I say this, but I 100% agree. Look, we all know Eden Hazard is a good player, but we ain't in the running to buy him. We can all blub into our beer about how it was different 20 years ago, but who listens? It is different now, and we've got to box a bit more clever. Rodgers might just be the shrewdest appointment we've made in many a year. 

Quick Reply