Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who should be the next Liverpool manager?

Rafael Benitez
      (53.5%)
      Andre Villas-Boas
      (19.4%)
      Jürgen Klopp
      (11.1%)
      Roberto Martinez
      (4.5%)
      Joachim Low
      (1.8%)
      Didier Deschamps
      (1.8%)
      Frank Rijkaard
      (2.4%)
      Brendan Rodgers
      (2.9%)
      Fabio Capello
      (2.7%)

The next Liverpool FC manager?

Read 338113 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,523 posts | 2874 
      Re: The next Liverpool FC manager?
      Reply #5359: May 30, 2012 02:28:52 pm
      Seems like we made a formal approach for him since Jenkins' statement yesterday.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited at the prospect of Rodgers joining us to be honest, think he can actually do really well here.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5360: May 30, 2012 02:28:57 pm
      looks like rogers -- who would've thought
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5361: May 30, 2012 02:29:47 pm
      I don't believe everything that I read in the papers, but I do believe Huw Jenkins when he says there has been no contact.

Why would he paint himself in a bad light with his own supporters?

Surely if there had been contact, he'd say something along the lines of Liverpool have requested to talk to Brendan Rodgers and as opportunities do not come along like this every day we have reluctantly given Liverpool permission to speak to him, we wish Brendan all the best in his interview and the door remains open for him to stay on as manager.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #5362: May 30, 2012 02:30:28 pm
      BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport
      Swansea City manager Brendan Rodgers is expected to be confirmed as the new Liverpool manager in the next 48 hours.

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport
      Swansea City manager Brendan Rodgers is expected to be confirmed as the new Liverpool manager in the next 48 hours.

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport

One tweet not enough?  :D
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #5363: May 30, 2012 02:31:05 pm
      I don't believe everything that I read in the papers, but I do believe Huw Jenkins when he says there has been no contact.

Surely if there had been contact, he'd say something along the lines of Liverpool have requested to talk to Brendan Rodgers and as opportunities do not come along like this every day we have reluctantly given Liverpool permission to speak to him, we wish Brendan all the best in his interview and the door remains open for him to stay on as manager.

Very true Daz
      LFCexiled
      Reply #5364: May 30, 2012 02:32:07 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18235961

Brendan Rodgers set to take charge at Liverpool

Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers is expected to be confirmed as the new Liverpool boss in the next 48 hours.
      The clubs are understood to be discussing compensation for the 39-year-old, with Swansea likely to receive a compensation payment of between £4m and £5m.
      Wigan manager Roberto Martinez had been in contention after meeting with owner John W Henry in Miami last week.
      But attention has since switched back to Rodgers.
      Liverpool sacked former manager Kenny Dalglish on 16 May after finishing eighth in the Premier League, 17 points from a Champions League qualification spot.
      In contrast, Rodgers guided his Swansea side to an impressive first season in the top flight, including a 1-0 win over Liverpool on the final day of the season.

If Rodgers by his own admission has a £5m buy out clause that he signed in February why would they have anything to discuss?

I'm not saying there's no truth but it seems there is a bit of fiction.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5365: May 30, 2012 02:32:18 pm

He might have been trying to protect a manager that he values highly from the backlash from their fans in the event he didn't get the Liverpool job mate?
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #5366: May 30, 2012 02:32:40 pm
      Looks like its being done behind closed doors, the way it should be.

Are you watching Dave Whelan?
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #5367: May 30, 2012 02:33:38 pm
      Having wanted neither Martinez nor Rodgers, I'd gotten used to the thought of one of them coming in and now it turns out it's the other ffs.

Won't be a bad thing hearing Dave Whelan bullshit his way out of this one though.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #5368: May 30, 2012 02:33:41 pm

May of wanted to avoid the situation Martinez now finds himself in after Whelans antics.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5369: May 30, 2012 02:33:53 pm
      Is right Kyle.

I'll believe it when I see Rodgers holding up the scarf at AnfieldN bearing in mind the press had Martinez nailed on to be manager just a few days ago.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #5370: May 30, 2012 02:34:10 pm
      Looks like its being done behind closed doors, the way it should be.

Are you watching Dave Whelan?

He can't at the moment, he's motting his dog.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #5371: May 30, 2012 02:35:13 pm
      Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews
      BREAKING NEWS - Sky Sources: Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers meeting with Liverpool this afternoon #SSN

Breaking news.. 15 minutes after everyone else of course.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #5372: May 30, 2012 02:35:33 pm
      Sky reporting Rodgers is meeting with JWH this afternoon
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #5373: May 30, 2012 02:35:49 pm
      SSN reporting that Brendan Rodgers will meet with FSG this afternoon.

Not gonna read too much into it. Martinez had an interview after all and that doesn't appear to have worked out. It's part and parcel of the process,
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #5374: May 30, 2012 02:37:00 pm
       There's been some fabulous stuff on here over the last few days featuring Brendan Rodgers, and I for one am really looking forward to him taking over. If he were from Scotland rather than Northern Ireland, I think people would be likening him to younger versions of some of the great Scottish managers who have graced the English game. He speaks with clarity and authority, and there is definately something about him.

Players who don't want to come because they haven't heard of the manager (if there are any) can f**k off, simples. Any players we've got who want away for similar reasons, ditto. Our current squad are abouit to be asked to play in a new way, and it's going to be very interesting to see who can and can't do it. Equally, it'll be interesting to see whether the new manager sees the likes of Joe Cole or Alberto Aquilani fitting into his system (and he just might). Also it'll be interesting to see which players he looks to bring in, whether there'll be shocks and blokes that nobody otherwise would have considered.

I for one can't wait, bring it on and bring Rodgers in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #5375: May 30, 2012 02:37:41 pm
      Liverpool on brink of deal for Rodgers as Swansea boss prepares for Anfield move

By Sportsmail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 08:07 EST, 30 May 2012 | UPDATED: 08:30 EST, 30 May 2012

Brendan Rodgers is on the verge of sealing his deal to become Liverpool's next manager.

It is understood that the Swansea boss is close to agreeing a switch to take over the Anfield reins. He is believed to be holding talks with Liverpool's owners on Wednesday afternoon.

Rodgers is now set to be installed in the next 48 hours.
      Heading the betting: Brendan Rodgers is now fancied for the Liverpool job

Heading the betting: Brendan Rodgers is now fancied for the Liverpool job

He usurped Roberto Martinez as favourite to take over from Kenny Dalglish and his chairman Huw Jenkins has admitted he would not stand in Rodgers' way if he expresses a desire to leave the Liberty Stadium.

Wigan manager Martinez, who has also talked to Aston Villa, looked like he was holding all the aces after a meeting with Liverpool's principal owner John W Henry in Miami last Thursday, but it is understood that further negotiations with the Spaniard broke down when it became apparent that Rodgers was Anfield's preferred choice.

Liverpool have conducted a painstaking search to find Dalglish's successor since sacking the legendary Scot two weeks ago.

And their approach has drawn heavy criticism from Jenkins, who insisted he would have gone about his business differently.
      Centre of attention: Roberto Martinez at Manchester Airport

There is also an irony that Rodgers has emerged as the outstanding candidate to take over at Anfield, given that he was the first manager to rule himself out of the running when the initial interview process started with a dozen candidates 12 days ago.

Sportsmail understands his stance was partially dictated by a reluctance to undermine his position at Swansea, but it has always been the intention of Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool's American owners, to speak with the Northern Irishman this week.

Rodgers, 39, and Jenkins had a two-hour meeting at the Liberty Stadium when Swansea insist Liverpool's interest was not discussed, but that seems unlikely considering Jenkins' strong feelings on the two-week saga and his desperation to keep one of the hottest young managerial properties in the game.

Jenkins said: 'If I was in charge of Liverpool I would be going about my business differently. 'What they are doing is not how I would do it. I don't want to say what I would do differently but I have not been too happy.

'This is the kind of silly thing that happens at this point of the season. There has not been another approach since the first one and we've had to answer a lot of questions based on speculation.'

Liverpool now want to bring the process to a swift conclusion. Henry and chairman Tom Werner have arrived on Merseyside, with Werner set to attend a Premier League meeting on Thursday.

Provided talks go smoothly, Liverpool may make an official announcement before the weekend.

FSG are determined to implement a new coaching structure at Anfield and former Bayern Munich and Ajax coach Louis van Gaal has also been lined up as sporting director.

Martinez is left facing a 24-hour wait to discover whether his talks with Liverpool have cost him the chance to succeed Alex McLeish at Villa.

Club owner Randy Lerner was informed by the Spaniard's representatives yesterday that the Latics boss would now be prepared to press ahead with his candidacy after talks between the two parties at Villa Park last week.

But Martinez has been informed that Villa have looked elsewhere since the talks, and it is believed Norwich's Paul Lambert is now also under consideration.

Villa want the matter resolved by the weekend and will open talks with the club of their choice in the next two days.

Martinez is in danger of paying the price for a failure to declare his outright determination to land the post.

He was Lerner's first-choice 12 months ago - before the calamitous decision was taken to appoint McLeish - and has only enhanced his reputation since.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2152144/Brendan-Rodgers-brink-Liverpool-deal.html#ixzz1wMM50lCS

There really is still a lot of misdirection..Jenkins saying that there's been no contact and he's only trying to quell speculation. I wouldn't be surprised if Friday comes and goes and we know nothing more.

Although if it's Rodgers I'm good to go with that and ready to see what he can do.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5376: May 30, 2012 02:38:41 pm
      Well I'm going to say this much the whole Rodgers thing started with Duncan Jenkins tweet yesterday a couple of Journo's jumped on it and now he's being announced within 48 hours, sorry but I don't buy it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #5377: May 30, 2012 02:39:19 pm
      I bullshit you not, stick a Goatee on Rodgers and you have Rafa!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #5378: May 30, 2012 02:39:43 pm
      Apparently Gylfi Sigurdsson hasn't signed for Swansea yet because he was waiting to see if Rodgers stayed as manager.

He could be on his way to LFC...
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,523 posts | 2874 
      Reply #5379: May 30, 2012 02:39:53 pm
      So he's poised to become manager before he's talked to John Henry.

Hmmm.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #5380: May 30, 2012 02:40:28 pm
      Well I'm going to say this much the whole Rodgers thing started with Duncan Jenkins tweet yesterday a couple of Journo's jumped on it and now he's being announced within 48 hours, sorry but I don't buy it.

You're in denial for Rafa!  ;D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5381: May 30, 2012 02:40:33 pm
      Obviously FSG need to brush up on the job interview technique....... interview first, then offer the job , not offer them the job and then ask them to an interview :)

Quick Reply