Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Martinez offered LFC manager job according to Whelan

Read 37439 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Martinez offered LFC manager job according to Whelan
      Reply #460: May 28, 2012 09:35:36 am
      The owner of Wigan said he had been offered the job.

Oh right... Ok that's it then..

I don't buy that though by the way.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #461: May 28, 2012 10:22:57 am
      The owner of Wigan said he had been offered the job.
      This is the same Dave Whelan who's said that Fergie will retire at the end of next season. The guy has got some sort of Tourettes.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #462: May 28, 2012 11:16:18 am
      That he hasn't been offered it?

And he wants to put an end to the stories and he is fully committed to Wigan?

Good point. Why else would he be having it at the DW? He is hardly going to the DW to say that Wigan is a small club that doesn't match his ambition and he wants to move to a bigger club?

All of this looks like he is going to commit to Wigan while sitting beside Whelan inside their own stadium.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,384 posts | 2823 
      Reply #463: May 28, 2012 11:30:39 am
      I would be utterly gobsmacked if Roberto Martinez was offered the job and turned it down. You would have to question his ambition.

The media won't see it like that though :roll:

Wait for the 'Martinez latest to turn down Liverpool' headlines :D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #464: May 28, 2012 11:33:56 am
      The media won't see it like that though :roll:

Wait for the 'Martinez latest to turn down Liverpool' headlines :D

Oh of course the media will spout it that way but I don't believe it for a second that if he was offered any version of the managers job here he would turn it down.

It shows a great lack of ambition if he does, even a relatively poor stint here will do more for his cv than staying at Wigan or going to a Villa for example.

Having Liverpool on his cv would make people sit up and take notice of him even if it doesn't go to plan.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #465: May 28, 2012 01:41:16 pm

Oh of course the media will spout it that way but I don't believe it for a second that if he was offered any version of the managers job here he would turn it down.

It shows a great lack of ambition if he does, even a relatively poor stint here will do more for his cv than staying at Wigan or going to a Villa for example.

Agree mate and if he was offered the job and turned it down then as well as showing a complete lack of ambition it also puts into question his own belief in his ability and we may have dodged a bad appointment.

Say what we want about Hodgson, and most of us did, he at least had the balls to have a go.

Time will tell on Martinez but I honestly can't see him turning it down, if offered, so I'm thinking that no offer has been made as of yet.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #466: May 28, 2012 01:45:19 pm
      Agree mate and if he was offered the job and turned it down then as well as showing a complete lack of ambition it also puts into question his own belief in his ability and we may have dodged a bad appointment.

Say what we want about Hodson, and most of us did, he at least had the balls to have a go.

Time will tell on Martinez but I honestly can't see him turning it down, if offered, so I'm thinking that no offer has been made as of yet.

Hodgson goes to prove it doesn't affect your potential to get other jobs even if you "fail" at Liverpool. In Martinez's case It would certainly raise his profile whatever happened.

If any offer is made he would never turn it down.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #467: May 28, 2012 04:07:46 pm
      Martinez’s future is still uncertain

Published on Monday 28 May 2012 09:38

THE future of Wigan Athletic boss Roberto Martinez remains very much up in the air, as the Spaniard continues to soak up the sun in Barbados.

It was widely reported on Sunday that Latics would be holding a press conference this coming Tuesday during which Martinez would reveal whether or not he will stay at the club.

However, the Evening Post can reveal that is NOT the case – and club officials are baffled as to where these reports have come from, and how they have been taken as gospel. The 38-year-old met Liverpool’s owners in Miami last Thursday to discuss the managerial vacancy at Anfield, but it’s understood he’s still not made up his mind whether to accept that challenge.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan claimed the Spaniard had received an offer from Liverpool’s principal owner John Henry after their meeting in Miami.

Throughout the process, though, Whelan has always insisted it was not a foregone conclusion he would lose his manager.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-athletic/martinez-s-future-is-still-uncertain-1-4591278
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #468: May 28, 2012 06:20:34 pm
      Let's get real here,your boss of a struggling EPL side with limited funds, every season you have a relegation battle, each season your team gets weaker by the better players leaving and not being replaced, your ambition to succeed gets harder and harder and at the same time your CV looks less and less impressive,

then, all of a sudden a chink of light appears, your suddenly in the frame to manage the most successful side in British footballing history,you can't believe it, you keep pinching yourself, is this for real you ask yourself? i didn't expect this to happen so quickly, well,not t'il i'm in my 40's at least, oh f**k, what do i do?,

oh, i know, i'll pretend i'm really interested, but inwardly i'm not,it's too scary, sh*t!, I've been invited Miami,oh i better go, show how keen i am, aw double f**k, what about Dave, what's he gonna do without me?........

Well that went well, Mr Henry is a impressive guy, i wonder if i impressed him, i must have, why fly me all those miles if he did'nt think so, but, what about Dave? it's best i be honest, i'll call a conference for next Tuesday, i'll have made my mind up by then, f***in HELL we're talking Liverpool Fc here, don't fancy being sacked after 1 season, i love Dave, he'll never sack me!

Sorry, but come on, Martinez turns Liverpool down,how f***in low do the press think we have fallen, we're talkin f***in Wigan here, famous for pies, rugby league and a f***in pier and road George Orwell wrote about,

with a chairman with a gob like a f***in pac-man, loves the smell of his own sh*te, who the f**k do they think they are?

and yet we are to believe that Martinez may TURN us down, pleeeeeeeze give me a f***in break.

DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #469: May 29, 2012 05:08:24 am
      Dave Whelan is looking out for himself and Wigan... he's not doing a very good job of it though. Too much talking.

He's worried about pissing off the fans and he doesnt want to lose Martinez but he won't stand in his way

If I was him i'd have given Martinez a deadline too but I'd of kept my mouth shut to the media, unfortunaelty he loves to hear himself talk

On that note I hope we get Van Gaul or Rafa... or both
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #470: May 29, 2012 12:41:24 pm
      Don't forget today is the today that jet lagged   Martinez is going to be in two places at once doing press conferences.........

according to Whelan.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #471: May 29, 2012 05:38:38 pm
      Don't forget today is the today that jet lagged   Martinez is going to be in two places at once doing press conferences.........
      according to Whelan.

Its Close Of Business   17.34.    GMT    The Noise is deafening Whelan.
      ste1986
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #472: May 29, 2012 09:53:06 pm
      difficult to grasp an offer being made which Whelan will not have made up and the news around Rodgers seemingly in pole position without Swansea giving permission
      ste1986
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #473: May 30, 2012 11:00:19 pm
      not sure I believe DW now and RM surely did not reject us?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #474: May 30, 2012 11:04:49 pm
      Whelan and his big gob were wrong.

Martinez doesn't seem to be in the running any more.

Locked.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #475: Jun 05, 2012 04:50:51 pm
      Re opened, just for  fun of ribbing Whelan. And keeping the place tidy.

Liverpool director calls Wigan owner Dave Whelan 'a comedian'

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre has described Dave Whelan as a "comedian" for his comments during the Reds' managerial search.
      The Wigan chairman said Liverpool had made an offer to boss Roberto Martinez.

But Ayre insists Brendan Rodgers was the only person offered the job.
      He told the Liverpool Echo: "I always thought John Bishop was the biggest comedian in the north west, but Dave Whelan seems to have taken that mantle over in the last couple of weeks."

Liverpool appointed Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers on a three-year contract on Friday, two weeks after the sacking of Kenny Dalglish.
      Latics boss Martinez had been considered a leading candidate to replace Dalglish and the Spaniard was photographed in Miami with Liverpool owner John W Henry.

Whelan subsequently claimed the 38-year-old had been offered the manager's job at Anfield, but Ayre dismissed his remarks.
      "It is important to understand that we ran a proper search to find a new manager, and that part of that involved us speaking to a number of candidates," Ayre said.
      "We make no secret of the fact we spoke with Roberto Martinez, but that is all we did. He is a great guy, and I can't speak highly enough of his professionalism and conduct.

"But for his chairman to make suggestions like he has, and suggestions that just aren't true, is disappointing to say the least.
      "We can say with absolute certainty that the only person who was made any offer is Brendan Rodgers."

Ayre, who was appointed managing director in March 2011, said he was upset by Whelan's behaviour.
      "From our point of view, we did all the right things. We approached the clubs we needed to approach and conducted ourselves properly at all times," he said.

"It is disappointing, then, that Dave Whelan felt the need to run the kind of sideshow he conducted via Sky Sports News and various other media outlets."

After Rodgers's appointment at Anfield, Whelan announced Martinez would stay with the Latics, amid interest from Aston Villa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18330718

Game, set and match.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #476: Jun 05, 2012 05:06:36 pm
      Excellent description"comedian".thought"right pr**k"myself
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #477: Jun 05, 2012 06:00:11 pm
      Whelan is a joke, anything to get his small town club into the spotlight.

I just ignored him throughout the interview process.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #478: Jun 06, 2012 12:31:03 pm
      "I always thought John Bishop was the biggest comedian in the north west, but Dave Whelan seems to have taken that mantle over in the last couple of weeks."

Brilliant.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #479: Jun 06, 2012 10:19:42 pm
      Have to say in a simplistic manner i am delighted with the clubs response to Whelan's ridiculous pronouncements over the last few weeks....what an utter muppet.
      On a serious note, it has certainly scuppered any chance of getting James McCarthy! Really rate the fella and wish we had pulled the trigger on him a few years ago when he has at Hamilton.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #480: Aug 21, 2012 01:15:24 am
      Red leader: Liverpool DID offer me the job says Roberto Martinez

The Wigan manager breaks his silence on this summer's search for a successor to King Kenny and reveals he said no to Kop chiefs

Roberto Martinez has claimed he turned down the chance to manage Liverpool.

In an interview to be published on Tuesday, Wigan manager Martinez has spoken for the first time about the extensive talks he held with the Reds earlier in the summer.

“We must educate people," said the Spaniard. "In five or six years, we [Wigan] reap the benefits. Maybe I won’t be there then.

"But this is not why I stayed, when Liverpool made me an offer."

Asked why he did stay, causing Liverpool to hire Swansea's Brendan Rodgers instead, Martinez - who went on a sign a new deal with the perennial relegation battlers - insisted it was because of the support of chairman Dave Whelan.

“I stayed because my chairman is unique," he continued.

"This summer, we sat down together. He had thought about the future of the club, I’d done the same.

“He knew that I had spoken with other clubs. But he is so persuasive... I extended my contract for three years.

“He wants to take the club to the next level. I know it will be difficult, but it excites me a lot."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-offered-roberto-martinez-the-job-1271467
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #481: Aug 21, 2012 01:35:57 am

The Wigan manager breaks his silence on this summer's search for a successor to King Kenny and reveals he said no to Kop chiefs

In an interview to be published on Tuesday, Wigan manager Martinez has spoken for the first time about the extensive talks he held with the Reds earlier in the summer.

“We must educate people," said the Spaniard. "In five or six years, we [Wigan] reap the benefits. Maybe I won’t be there then.

Asked why he did stay, causing Liverpool to hire Swansea's Brendan Rodgers instead, Martinez - who went on a sign a new deal with the perennial relegation battlers - insisted it was because of the support of chairman Dave Whelan.

"This summer, we sat down together. He had thought about the future of the club, I’d done the same.

“He knew that I had spoken with other clubs. But he is so persuasive... I extended my contract for three years.

“He wants to take the club to the next level. I know it will be difficult, but it excites me a lot."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-offered-roberto-martinez-the-job-1271467
      I like and respect Martinez a lot, but I think he's being nice to Wigan supporters here. There's no way in hell he'd stay at a relegation-fighting club if offered a job at one of the 10 most storied clubs in the world., whether it was us or United or Milan, etc.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #482: Aug 21, 2012 07:25:50 am

Sure as hell your chairman is unique.

Quick Reply