Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Whoever gets the job, what is reasonable for FSG to expect in the first season?

Read 4107 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Whoever gets the job, what is reasonable for FSG to expect in the first season?
      May 17, 2012 05:57:39 pm
       As we draw closer to an appointment, and as we have fans of various different persuasions saying they'd be "well f**king p!ssed off" if such and such gets it, I just wonder what the OWNERS are expecting from the new man. My own guess is we'll improve in the league in any case providing we don't get a complete numpty, but are we really into a cycle of a different manager every 12-18 months if we don't get the success which they crave?

From a fans point of view, lets be brutally honest here. Regardless of who gets the job, as things stand we are going to find it very difficult to get into the top four next season. You would guess that man City definately will, and much as it pains me to admit it so will Man Utd. That leaves two slots, and as of today all of Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal would be very confident of finishing above us next season. The owners are reportedly prepared to throw 30 million quid at closing the gap, but given that all of those named teams will probably spend at least that much it certainly follows that we aren't going to blow them out of the water with the cheque book.

My own guess is that the likes of Carroll/Henderson and Downing simply cannot be as bad again, while we simply cannot be as unlucky as we were last time again. Given that I would expect us to be significantly closer, but what if we finish 6th next time, 5 points off of fourth. Is that relative success or are we then going to be looking at a new manager and a new plan?

In the last three seasons we've finished 7th under Rafa, 7th under Hodgson/kenny and 8th under Kenny. There's something of a pattern developing there, and I absolutely believe that the owners AND the fans have got to come to terms with where we actually are. All talk of great European nights, Champions League qualification every year etc etc is the stuff of dreamland at the moment. My hope is that whoever gets the job, whether it's the fans first choice, ninth choice or some fecker who they wouldn't trust with a pub team gets it, they are given time, money and 100% support.

The owners need to man up, they definately should not have got rid of Kenny in my view, and now when they make their choice they have to stand by their man. So must we, this is the most important managerial appointment the club has made in many a year. He must not fail, but he must also be given a chance and time to succeed. 
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Re: Whoever gets the job, what is reasonable for FSG to expect in the first season?
      Reply #1: May 17, 2012 06:03:01 pm
      FSG will expect top 4...

It really depends on how much they give the new manager to improve the squad. I would say if they are looking to improve then £20Million for each place above 8th. So top 4 we need at least £80Million to spend on players - this however is not Net Spend. £20 Million for each place regardless of who leaves.

WIth no money then they should expect nothing more than finishing where we are...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Whoever gets the job, what is reasonable for FSG to expect in the first season?
      Reply #2: May 17, 2012 06:03:36 pm
      This is the problem they've created, no matter how much you didn't want Dalglish in the job you surely expected improvement next season and progress to be made. Now whoever comes in, even if they progress to let's say 6th in the league are they out, is it an endless cycle until we finish 4th or get shut of the owners, I'm not sure.

Expectations are limited by budget and I have no idea what we'll be given to spend, but I honestly believe it's CL or bust for whoever comes in and despite wanting the highest possible league placing, I also understand that football management is not about instant success = long term success, even Man City with spending massive amounts have not had instant success so the pressure on whoever comes in is probably going to be massive and unfortunately could cause some rash decisions, like rushing Sterling in, or rushing Lucas back from recovery too quickly, who knows but it's not the mentality that I would of hoped our owners had, sadly I'm left disappointed and frustrated by them.

In conclusion 4th or we're shopping for another manager next season will be the standard set.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #3: May 17, 2012 06:06:11 pm
      Good post and i would love to say 4th spot but i cant say its realistic.
      Expectations from the new manager would be a spot in Europa league and gain more points at home. He needs to make Anfield a castle where other teams fear us, no matter who they are. Like it used to. Get more out of players who underperformed this season and imo the most important, a default formation which suits us and every player knows his role.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #4: May 17, 2012 06:16:44 pm
      In my humble opinion we would have made top 4 with Kenny and just a couple of player transfers next season. So with that in mind....they must be expecting that we challenge for the title because why sack someone that will likely get you where you supposedly want to go?   :mad: :mad:
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #5: May 17, 2012 06:30:21 pm
      What they have shown is they mean business, no fuk kin about, no room for sentiment. They want Liverpool to be at the very top, just really sad it's without the king. Only thing is to get to where they obviously want to be costs an awful lot of money and if they don't supply whoever the new manager is with the funding required then they are just setting him up to fail also.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #6: May 17, 2012 06:35:36 pm
      What they have shown is they mean business, no fuk kin about, no room for sentiment. They want Liverpool to be at the very top, just really sad it's without the king. Only thing is to get to where they obviously want to be costs an awful lot of money and if they don't supply whoever the new manager is with the funding required then they are just setting him up to fail also.

This all day long.
      I See Red People
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      • Now it's glory round the Fields of Anfield Road...
      Reply #7: May 17, 2012 06:50:40 pm
      Call it wishful thinking but I have a feeling that the owners will show a little more patience with whoever they bring in next.  For one, I think they always had Kenny down as an interim manager in their minds.  Someone to come in and steady the ship after the circus of the preceding few months.  When we caught fire under Kenny's leadership at the back end of last season, they found themselves in a bit of a bind: an Anfield idol was doing the business and the feel-good factor was through the roof.  So, I think they decided from their perspective to take a punt and make Kenny's position permanent, hoping it would work out.  When, our form started to really sour after Christmas I don't think it took too much soul-searching for them to revert to their original idea of Kenny as a stop-gap.  I expect that the next manager they line up will be someone they consider as the architect for long-term future success and will give him more time accordingly.

With that said, I think they will be looking for us to at least put the likes of Fulham and West Brom firmly in the rearview mirror, leapfrog Everton and Newcastle in the table and put considerable, sustained pressure on Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham for the Champions League births.  If we do that in the league and manage a creditable showing in the cups I think they'll see it as progress, provided they can get someone in that they consider their man from the outset.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #8: May 17, 2012 07:24:05 pm
      No doubt top 4.

They want Premier League challenge and Champions League football. Not FA Cup, not League Cup.

If they are going to sack every manager who doesn't get the top four status, they would need to be prepared to invest very heavily into the squad a la Man City for every new manager.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #9: May 17, 2012 07:28:48 pm
      why did we not strengthen in Jan who is to blame for that.Two cup finals apparently mean nothing,
      So if we finish 5th win the Two Cups and the Europa league it will not be enough.If we finish 5th and win no Cups the manager will have to go the die is cast.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #10: May 17, 2012 07:29:12 pm
      Are we turning into Chelsea in terms of this manager position?

With Chelsea, it's if you don't win the Champs League, you're out.

With us, no CL spot = Fired?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #11: May 17, 2012 07:30:32 pm
      then they need to open the cheque book big time £30 mil just will not do it.Our squad is thin and if we lose Maxi.Bellamy.Kuyt then £30 mil will not even cover their departures.Its all bollocks really.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #12: May 17, 2012 07:48:11 pm
      Everybody is basing the Top 4 argument with the thinking that Kenny was the guy they wanted all along.

Everybody is basing the idea our league finish was the only reason they let Kenny go.

I would give a different argument that it was based off of many things.

- I don't think Kenny was ever "their guy". He was brought in out of desperation from project owl and a very real chance of dropping into the relegation zone. I think they found themselves in a corner when Kenny sparked the team and the fans called for a long term contract.

- The Comolli sacking in conjunction now with Kenny's shows they were not particularly enamored with the way or process money was spent.

- The Director of communication sacking I think goes back to the way the Suarez incident was handled and this also reflected on Comolli and Kenny

- If Ayre was not so good on the commercial side I think he would be let go also, although I am still of the belief that there will be a lateral move sometime in the future that has him solely concentrating on money deals and not directing the entire club.

- I think there was/is a disconnect where the visions of owners was not being implemented the way they had expected and that is why all of this has happened.

Once they get the person they choose (not who the supporters choose) they will give the money and patience needed to see it thru, I do not expect a sacking if top 4 is not achieved as long as the vision is implemented and the club is moving in a positive direction.

People are getting caught up in the Top 4 thing and while it did play a part in all of this I do not believe it was the sole reasoning behind all these massive changes taking place.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #13: May 17, 2012 07:50:46 pm
      For me, if they REALLY mean business then they go after one of the bigger names in world football. someone with a PROVEN track record and an impressive CV, someone who has worked at a big club before, someon who understands the pressure at a club like ours and someone who can attract quality despite the fact we are not in the Champions League.

Managers like Martinez and Rodgers are not it.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #14: May 17, 2012 07:51:58 pm
      Their communication with the fans is appalling and it will backfire on them.If they need a history lesson lookback a couple of years.They have made winning domestic cups insignificant so the only conclusion is top 4 or your out.So unless they have big pockets we will have another new manager next June too.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #15: May 17, 2012 08:20:50 pm
      Their communication with the fans is appalling and it will backfire on them.If they need a history lesson lookback a couple of years.They have made winning domestic cups insignificant so the only conclusion is top 4 or your out.So unless they have big pockets we will have another new manager next June too.
      My sentiments exactly walton,the new manager will have to do better than Kenny in the same time frame or he will have a free trip to the states like Kenny got.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #16: May 17, 2012 08:31:44 pm
      In order to the question.

Title challenge, if we dont win 4th would suffice.

A very good run in the Europa cup.

Retain the carling cup.

Anything after is a bonus.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #17: May 17, 2012 08:46:42 pm
      I'm not so sure it will be as clean cut as top 4 or you're out. No one is denying the importance of winning trophies, but the league is our bread and butter. Look at it whatever way you want but this season, after large investment, we finished lower in the league and that is what FSG are looking at. I am merely speculating here but FSG's long term plan must be based heavily on league progression.

Going from 8th to 4th is no mean feat for anyone! I don't think we'll become as fickle as Chelsea with managers, but a clear progression in the league and competitive cup runs should suffice for any new manager in their first season I would hope.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #18: May 17, 2012 09:04:55 pm
      They clearly expected Kenny to achieve Champions League qualification so they will expect nothing less from whoever they appoint.

I expect another sacking by Christmas if results don't go the right way.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #19: May 17, 2012 09:05:53 pm
      FSG will expect top 4...

It really depends on how much they give the new manager to improve the squad. I would say if they are looking to improve then £20Million for each place above 8th. So top 4 we need at least £80Million to spend on players - this however is not Net Spend. £20 Million for each place regardless of who leaves.

WIth no money then they should expect nothing more than finishing where we are...

So with financial fair play, where do you expect to get the £80m from?
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #20: May 17, 2012 09:25:49 pm
      I think it is fair to think that they will expect an improvement over this season.  So, this season we were involved in 3 competitions.  We won one of them, came in 2nd in another, and 8th in the league. 

I would imagine that the new manager will be expected to either get us back into the top 4, and if they cannot accomplish that then they will need to win 2 trophies in order for the season to be considered an improvement.  That is my opinion. 
      the nighfly
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #21: May 17, 2012 09:28:07 pm
      Call it wishful thinking but I have a feeling that the owners will show a little more patience with whoever they bring in next.

I'm sure of it.  Kenny was never "their man," so their patience with him would be less.  When they get "their man," I'm sure they'd be patient with him for at least three seasons, barring a relegation-level collapse.

The bigger question for me would be "will the supporters show patience?"  This is particularly true unless we sign a "big name" like Klopp, Rafa, Pep, etc.  Say we go with a Flavor Of The Month and, by Christmas, we're mired somewhere between 12th and 15th.  Can you imagine the atmosphere at Anfield?  "Poisonous" wouldn't begin to describe it.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 994 posts | 68 
      Reply #22: May 17, 2012 09:40:25 pm
      Two finals and at least one trophy
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #23: May 17, 2012 09:41:09 pm
      PL and CL is where the big buks is at whilst Carling and FA are trophies they are 1/100000 of the money you get from the other two.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,697 posts | 3714 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #24: May 17, 2012 09:43:26 pm
      Top four only will be a success. I need to admit that what we expect for lfc.
      CORNISH
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #25: May 17, 2012 10:01:53 pm
      we could win the europa cup, league cup and fa cup next  season and finish 5th, it still wont be enough  for those fooking yanks. they want 4th place, thats it. sod the trophys, 4th is the new silverware!!!!!
      they  sacked mr dalglish because he failed to  get  4th.ergo if the new bloke fails to  get  4th he would also  be sacked.................
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,697 posts | 3714 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #26: May 17, 2012 10:13:19 pm
      we could win the europa cup, league cup and fa cup next  season and finish 5th, it still wont be enough  for those fooking yanks. they want 4th place, thats it. sod the trophys, 4th is the new silverware!!!!!
      they  sacked mr dalglish because he failed to  get  4th.ergo if the new bloke fails to  get  4th he would also  be sacked.................
      i love k. Kenny but we need to say that we were twenty points away from top four. If we miss by a few points isn t a disaster.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #27: May 17, 2012 10:23:57 pm
      Calm down buddy the owners have done a lot for the club. The Kenny sacking hangover will leave soon. Im missing him just as much as you.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #28: May 17, 2012 10:30:35 pm
      depends who comes in as manager, coach etc.
      even if we get someone v experienced, a big name, top4 will be difficult ... there's no continuity, new ideas... we're starting next season a few steps back either way
      if we get a rookie, could be worse again ... same problems as above, but we'd be more likely to loose players, won't be able to attract good ones ...
      jayzus

and this crap today about wigan 'letting liverpool' talk to martinez. i mean FFS ... wigan ...it feels like we're the beggars going around the doors, it's F***ing sh*te. if avb or martinez are the limit of our ambition, and we're saying we removed someone like DALGLISH for one of them boys, seems like madness to me.

i thought these yanks had a better plan than put an ad in the paper... but they don't seem to have 1 guy (or just 2) in mind .... seems like they want someone to come in and wow them with a slick delivery and '5 year plan'.  they might know their baseball, but hope they have someone who knows something about football advising them, whoever that might be.

gotta say, as the days go on since KK went, it's angrier i'm gettin, not more accepting ...
      there's a rumour going round they want someone young, energetic, with new ideas?!?! heard it several time in the media. F**k ME. in that case the yanks would have pensioners like fungie, asrene and and arry drawing pensions, not comin 2nd, 3rd and 4th.    age doesn't matter a bollox!!!!  probably just speculation again, but it does make you want to punch a wall.

argh...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #29: May 17, 2012 10:33:36 pm
      So they see Arsenal as a model top 4 each year making profits but winning F**k all.they dont really understand this club do they.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #30: May 17, 2012 11:08:11 pm
      From a fans point of view, lets be brutally honest here. Regardless of who gets the job, as things stand we are going to find it very difficult to get into the top four next season.

Without a doubt and my worry is that a few of our better players will want out if the club don't get this next appointment right. There's a few who have been here a while now and they might just decide they don't fancy yet another rebuilding phase with a new coaching staff, different training regime, new ideas all over again.

I have concerns about keeping hold of Skrtel, Agger, Reina, Suarez and Gerrard if i'm honest. Not sure they will all fancy going back to the drawing board and if Champions League football comes calling I wouldn't be surprised to lose at least 2 from that list.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #31: May 17, 2012 11:11:39 pm
      why did we not strengthen in Jan who is to blame for that.Two cup finals apparently mean nothing,
      So if we finish 5th win the Two Cups and the Europa league it will not be enough.If we finish 5th and win no Cups the manager will have to go the die is cast.

I don't believe Kenny would have been sacked if we'd finished 5th and were in with a sniff of the Champions League spots. The fact we were out of it a couple of months ago and limped in in 8th place is why they have ended his contract. I think people are getting a little silly with the comments. Let's not suddenly lose sight of the fact we had a poor season and it's not one we would have accpeted from another manager I suspect.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #32: May 17, 2012 11:17:14 pm
      First season? Depends on how much the new manager is given for summer spending. If he's given over 30m to spend, I think they should set their expectations at top 4 in the league, minimum. We've won a domestic cup this year, so next year should be focused on the league and the Europa League.

Fourth means Champions League. Champions League means attractiveness to top players. Top players are the way to the top of the table. The fact that we finished 27 points away from the bottom and 37 from the top is the reason why this season was unsuccessful. My opinion is most likely different than yours, but I believe that a fourth place finish and no cups is a more successful season than 8th place and the Carling Cup.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #33: May 18, 2012 01:56:05 am
      I don't believe Kenny would have been sacked if we'd finished 5th and were in with a sniff of the Champions League spots. The fact we were out of it a couple of months ago and limped in in 8th place is why they have ended his contract. I think people are getting a little silly with the comments. Let's not suddenly lose sight of the fact we had a poor season and it's not one we would have accepted from another manager I suspect.
      I agree 100%.

If for instance we ended up 5 points out of the CL spots (6th, like Chelsea) Kenny would likely still be here. But from our final position (8th) FSG couldn't see the Champions League with a telescope.

Seriously, ponder these facts for a moment... 
      • We were closer to a relegation spot (16 points away) than we were to 4th (17 points away).
      • We were equally distant to last place Wolves and 1st place Man City (27 points away from both).
      • Liverpool got just 19 points from its last 18 league games.
      We all love Kenny, but Kenny wasn't fired for missing 4th -- let's not be drama queens and shout that, it's nonsense. Kenny was fired because we were 13 points away from 6th.

If the new manager gets us to a position relative to where Chelsea ended up this year, 65 points and 6th, he'll likely be fine.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #34: May 18, 2012 02:54:06 am
      When we look at the season - which we've classified as bad - we still managed to win our first trophy in six years, and were in the final of the FA Cup, so three trips to Wembley in a season we're all disappointed with. The league form was bad, but it was also very weird when you think about it. I don't buy into the argument of "We were unlucky" but there were quite a few games where we probably deserved more than we got, for example. We only really performed badly in a handful of games and were rightly beaten in those. I know football is a results business, but generally speaking, our performances were good. At times we played some of the best football the club has played in some time, but we didn't get the results - and that built up over time.

I hand on heart believe that if this season were to be repeated, we would have finished higher up the table, maybe 5th, but probably 6th. Our biggest failings, in my opinion, were not being better in the first half of the season when Arsenal and Chelsea were struggling as badly as they were. We should have capitalized and been like 10-12 points higher than what we were when Lucas went down. (And for the record, fourth does not necessarily mean Champions League. Third does.)

I disagree with the notion of "If it were any other manager..." because I've personally said one bad season is not a reason to fire a manager (something like relegation is a completely different scenario). Keeping in mind, of course, this bad season still resulted in a trophy. In my opinion, whoever the manager was deserved another season.

But we're not just talking about any manager. We're talking about Kenny Dalglish, the heart and soul of Liverpool. I'm not saying he should be given a free pass and blank check or anything like that, but his managerial record at LFC should have warranted him another season at least. I mean, considering Kenny Dalglish's "worst season as Liverpool manager" resulted in 1 cup, 1 runners-up, and 1 disappointing league campaign, he's shown what he can do as manager of this football club. He needed another year.

So realistically, I don't know what FSG are expecting. They - and too many supporters - probably expected too much this season to begin with, so if we have a repeat of this year, will that manager get sacked too? I don't know. I think they're going to tell the new manager Champions League or bust because there was something poignant in Kenny's comments about his firing:

"Of course I am disappointed with results in the league, but I would not have swapped the Carling Cup win for anything as I know how much it meant to our fans and the Club to be back winning trophies."
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #35: May 18, 2012 06:31:00 am
      The World Cup
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #36: May 18, 2012 06:55:46 am
      Finishing in the top 6 at least making real progress to a top 4 finish, seems to be the main priority for FSG in other words far more  consistency in the PL.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #37: May 18, 2012 07:17:58 am
      The owners need to man up, they definately should not have got rid of Kenny in my view, and now when they make their choice they have to stand by their man. So must we, this is the most important managerial appointment the club has made in many a year. He must not fail, but he must also be given a chance and time to succeed.

Therein lies the rub for me 'mick.

FSG it would seem have now set the parameters and laid down a target for what they deem success. That target? A Champions League place. To that end I believe that FSG have made a rod for their own back.

Let's be logical here; if the new boss finishes fifth, with no trophy - he won't have exceeded anything (in real terms) Kenny achieved. In fact he'll have achieved less. Do FSG stick to their 'template' and sack him? I guess they have to... unless, of course, they feel that the Club can build on that finish. Which brings me on to the following...

Henry & Co could only have come to the conclusion that Kenny (after one full season) should be sacked because they were of the opinion that he wasn't capable of building on the League Cup win, Europa League qualification and League finish but how the F**k could they come to that conclusion?

With all due respect my ass knows more about snipe shooting than Henry & Co know about football. They have to have sought some sort of council; but who? There's rumours that it's David Dein who's got their ear... a man who's not even in their employ but F**k only knows.

Either way one full season and a few quid can't be enough for any sensible appointment to make his mark unless, of course, the signings Kenny made come good, we have less injuries in important areas, we miss less penalties and balls start going in off the post as opposed to rebounding to safety. Wait a minute tho'... surely none of that will be attributed to the new boss; or will it?

Top four finish - Template for success or Recipe for disaster? - I still can't decide.  :confused-smiley-013:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #38: May 18, 2012 08:24:06 am
      Therein lies the rub for me 'mick.

FSG it would seem have now set the parameters and laid down a target for what they deem success. That target? A Champions League place. To that end I believe that FSG have made a rod for their own back.

Let's be logical here; if the new boss finishes fifth, with no trophy - he won't have exceeded anything (in real terms) Kenny achieved. In fact he'll have achieved less. Do FSG stick to their 'template' and sack him? I guess they have to... unless, of course, they feel that the Club can build on that finish. Which brings me on to the following...

Henry & Co could only have come to the conclusion that Kenny (after one full season) should be sacked because they were of the opinion that he wasn't capable of building on the League Cup win, Europa League qualification and League finish but how the f**k could they come to that conclusion?

With all due respect my ass knows more about snipe shooting than Henry & Co know about football. They have to have sought some sort of council; but who? There's rumours that it's David Dein who's got their ear... a man who's not even in their employ but f**k only knows.

Either way one full season and a few quid can't be enough for any sensible appointment to make his mark unless, of course, the signings Kenny made come good, we have less injuries in important areas, we miss less penalties and balls start going in off the post as opposed to rebounding to safety. Wait a minute tho'... surely none of that will be attributed to the new boss; or will it?

Top four finish - Template for success or Recipe for disaster? - I still can't decide.  :confused-smiley-013:

Good sensible post mate,thank you.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #39: May 18, 2012 09:34:08 am
      4th.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #40: May 18, 2012 09:40:13 am
      4th or better, They sacked Dalglish because he didn't achieve this.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #41: May 18, 2012 10:28:01 am
      They're clearly expecting a F***ing miracle.
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      Reply #42: May 18, 2012 11:41:20 am
      They're clearly expecting a f**king miracle.

This post sums up the ridiculous blinkered eye view of Kenny. STOP IT NOW!!!! He may of fu**ed up but nobody can deny he and FSG has moved things forward in terms of were we where.

We have invested over £100 million in the squad and got rid of a lot of dead wood. Ok some signings are not delivering - the no1 culprit being Downing. But Suarez, Carroll, Henderson, Adam, Enrique have all added massively to our SQUAD. We should of be challenging a least for a top 4 place last season not f**king around being a cup team and being clueless at home.

There is now way we should be that far behind the top teams (bar city.) It's all down to the manger and coaching staff now. Whoever comes in needs to use the right tactics, get the players to perform for 93mins a game, win home games, turn draws in scrappy wins and add to the squad when needed.

We don't need another 100 million to compete, we need a bit of re jigging, develop youth really well and then buy to improve each season in areas we begin to lack in. Ie like old f**king red nose does each season.

We are still a f**king massive club not a sleeping giant in need of a complete overhaul.

Give Kenny and FSG some respect that have both done their bit to move us forward not backwards.

......to answer original post I think they expect us to be challenging for 4th until the last day of the season and couldn't give a sh*t about FA or Carling. The Europa cup is only going to become a more and more important cup for a lot of teams not just us, a good run would also be looked upon well.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #43: May 18, 2012 11:45:46 am
      As we draw closer to an appointment

Are we? ;)

Back to the topic question.

I don't know what they expect.  Clearly they aren't arsed about trophies so I'd imagine a manager will play kids in all 3 cup competitions and be told that 4th place is the minimum acceptable requirement.

Sad times where a European Qualifying game in July is seen as more special to LFC than gathering cups in May.

That's what they'll want - 4th.  If not, we'll do this all again next summer.

Tickled me that.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #44: May 18, 2012 11:49:55 am
       Interesting point that JD about the cups, expect uber rotation in all of them to try and get us into the top four. My expectation is that should challenge strongly on all fronts, simply because I am convinced that's what we would have done if we had left Kenny in charge. My guess is we would have been challenging for the top four this season had we had anything of the rub of the green. Next season with Carroll now having found his feet, we ought to be in with a shout EVEN IF we do have a pop at the cups as well. Like I say, we would've been under Kenny.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #45: May 18, 2012 11:52:58 am
      Are we? ;)

Back to the topic question.

I don't know what they expect.  Clearly they aren't arsed about trophies so I'd imagine a manager will play kids in all 3 cup competitions and be told that 4th place is the minimum acceptable requirement.

Sad times where a European Qualifying game in July is seen as more special to LFC than gathering cups in May.

That's what they'll want - 4th.  If not, we'll do this all again next summer.

Tickled me that.

JD, for me supporting Liverpool is about winning trophies, and competing for all honors.

I'd much rather win a cup in May, than finish 4th. As this season proves - 4th can equate to nothing possibly..

Unfortunately, teams like Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City have ruined is, as football is all about money, and not winning anything, It really is a SAD state of affairs.

Trophies every day of the week for me.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #46: May 18, 2012 11:58:43 am
      We have a trophy in cabinet thanks to Kenny and participated in another final thanks to Kenny,we have something to sing and dance about thanks to Kenny,However Spurs who finished in the holy grail 4th spot are shitting themselves and praying that the plastics fail to win the Champions League in order for them to gain 4th.

I know what situation i rather be in,relaxed looking forward to Europe next season even though its on channel 5 knowing we have a trophy in the cabinet.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #47: May 18, 2012 02:29:59 pm
      Having put 300 million big ones in to save our club it would be reasonable for FSG to be at least given respect for doing what they feel is best to move the club forward.

Unlike Hodgson who was a drowning man when  he arrived and a complete turd ...

FSG have a reasonable expectation to us get behind the team AND back their managerial appointment.

We will be the first to tell them where they may be going wrong ............but give them a chance.
      Bosnian_Red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #48: May 18, 2012 04:48:14 pm
      I think they will expect the top four finish and maybe Europe League. In order for this to happen, I think a manager with European experience needs to be hired.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #49: May 18, 2012 05:14:31 pm
      Having put 300 million big ones in to save our club it would be reasonable for FSG to be at least given respect for doing what they feel is best to move the club forward.

Unlike Hodgson who was a drowning man when  he arrived and a complete turd ...

FSG have a reasonable expectation to us get behind the team AND back their managerial appointment.

We will be the first to tell them where they may be going wrong ............but give them a chance.

As much as I agree they saved our club, they also now have an asset that is worth much more than what they paid for it, so I wouldn't even mention the purchase price because they undoubtedly got a bargain.
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      Reply #50: May 18, 2012 06:14:16 pm
      As much as I agree they saved our club, they also now have an asset that is worth much more than what they paid for it, so I wouldn't even mention the purchase price because they undoubtedly got a bargain.

the club was touted around the world, we got what it was worth as did the new owners.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #51: May 18, 2012 06:48:01 pm
      There were parties willing to pay more, they weren't deemed to be in the club's best interests, which for the record I agree with. Considering it's estimated that the club has doubled in value since the yanks took over it's hard to argue they've added that much value in a club that's been around for more than 100 years in 18months, so stating a bargain was had is hardly stretching the truth.
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #52: May 18, 2012 07:16:36 pm
      How things have changed, the general clamour on here has always been f*ck the cups we want our league title back, now all of a sudden its all about winning cups? I don't get all the negativity towards expecting a new managers key focus being a top 4 finish? Everyone has to realise just how important CL football and the cash generated from it is to the future of our club especially with the introduction of financial fair play. Would I swap this years Carling Cup for having a 4th place finish? Absolutely! Was it a reasonable expectation this year? Probly not, but it has to be the key focus for our new manager, It's that money that will really get this club moving again, and have us being self sufficient.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #53: May 18, 2012 09:00:48 pm
      How things have changed, the general clamour on here has always been f*ck the cups we want our league title back, now all of a sudden its all about winning cups? I don't get all the negativity towards expecting a new managers key focus being a top 4 finish? Everyone has to realise just how important CL football and the cash generated from it is to the future of our club especially with the introduction of financial fair play. Would I swap this years Carling Cup for having a 4th place finish? Absolutely! Was it a reasonable expectation this year? Probly not, but it has to be the key focus for our new manager, It's that money that will really get this club moving again, and have us being self sufficient.

Pretty sure if KK had got into the CL places, as opposed to winning the Carling Cup, things would be different today.
      People might not like it, but times have changed.
      Sure, it's great to win Cups, the finals are great occassions - but I haven't been slaggin too many Utd fans over winning f**k all this season (well, that's not true, had a half hearted go at some of the boys but you're looking for trouble doin that).
      And to put the CL itself (placing) into context - it's a stepping stone (that shows progression) on the way to the ULTIMATE goal -- the Premier League title.
      Said it before but if I had to choose between 1 Cup per year for 5 years, or 1 CL title in 5 years time, I know what I'd pick every time.
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      Reply #54: May 18, 2012 10:26:33 pm
      There were parties willing to pay more, they weren't deemed to be in the club's best interests, which for the record I agree with. Considering it's estimated that the club has doubled in value since the yanks took over it's hard to argue they've added that much value in a club that's been around for more than 100 years in 18months, so stating a bargain was had is hardly stretching the truth.

It will of risen in value due to the debt they paid off and the investment they have put in (players, reduced overheads etc) I don't believe it was firesale that they are now reaping the rewards from.
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #55: May 19, 2012 12:04:18 am
      Pretty sure if KK had got into the CL places, as opposed to winning the Carling Cup, things would be different today.
      People might not like it, but times have changed.
      Sure, it's great to win Cups, the finals are great occassions - but I haven't been slaggin too many Utd fans over winning f**k all this season (well, that's not true, had a half hearted go at some of the boys but you're looking for trouble doin that).
      And to put the CL itself (placing) into context - it's a stepping stone (that shows progression) on the way to the ULTIMATE goal -- the Premier League title.
      Said it before but if I had to choose between 1 Cup per year for 5 years, or 1 CL title in 5 years time, I know what I'd pick every time.

Exactly right progression to where we should be at the top of English football, and the money would be a real shot in arm to help us get there. We need to see the bigger picture winning cups is great, but I don't want to be a cup team. Having said this I ain't knocking Kenny, given investment I believe we would have been there or there abouts next season so would expect nething less from the new guy
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #56: May 19, 2012 12:26:53 am
      It will of risen in value due to the debt they paid off and the investment they have put in (players, reduced overheads etc) I don't believe it was firesale that they are now reaping the rewards from.

They essentially bought a mortgaged property and in buying it eliminated all debt, it was not a purchase then a debt reduction. I agree that the acquisitions and severance packages will have increased our value but not to the tune of 100%, we were basically on the verge of repossession from the bank and were auctioned to the highest bidder. In those circumstances the buyer nearly always gets a bargain because the equity (perceived value above debt outstanding) is generally ignored. So I'm sorry but I disagree with you completely but I'm gonna leave it here as we're veering way off topic.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #57: May 19, 2012 03:34:57 am
      4th or better, They sacked Dalglish because he didn't achieve this.
      4th or better will be the ultimate goal - but I would imagine first season would be huge improvement and challenging for 4th or better, as had we been doing that this season I don't think we would be having this discussion.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #58: May 19, 2012 09:16:31 am
      What ever expectations they set Rafa, I mean the new manager.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,008 posts | 3953 
      Reply #59: May 19, 2012 09:50:33 am
      Ain't that the truth! and it illustrates the strength of the acquisition in that it has gone from strength to strength with the fact that we are now in the hands of perceived credible owners.
      Given that premise ie the brand is rock solid, it would seem perverse that the aforementioned credible owners appear to be dismantling the structure and continuity factor of the tradition that is LFC.
      It has been proven that the club is financially viable merely by the fact it has almost doubled in value since FSG acquired it so why the hell are they fannying about sacking legends and why don't they throw some dosh at LFC which they will only reap the benefit of?   
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #60: May 19, 2012 01:01:46 pm
      Good question Stuey, would love to be able to ask them personally.
      Rammstein Red Chrome7
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #61: May 19, 2012 05:10:21 pm
      Perhaps they thought the legend was better than he was, his mere presence did not deliver the results we needed. But having made the decision to sack Kenny had they already had his replacement in mind? We could not go with the results and some of the performances.
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      Reply #62: May 19, 2012 06:48:25 pm

The whole of the management team one of the reason for the purge
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #63: May 21, 2012 02:34:59 pm
      Lets be real... if this was your business, what would you have done? I love Kenny and it is really sad to see him go... however somebody is to blame for our league position.
      Just like we questioned Rafa's team selections or rotation, bemoaned our misfortune with injuries or this season our woodwork crisis, in the end the buck stops somewhere and in this case its the management.

I saw an earlier post regarding 20m investment per position... its laughable cos we spent 80m this past season and ended up one position worst off, so by that rationale we should have been in the top 4 this past season.

In answer to the question, i believe the owners want a top4 finish to reap the financial rewards of CL football. We all know that we cannot challenge for the league so any cup runs are effectively a bonus.
      In order to be sustainable we need CL football and in return the ability to play CL will also attract a better quality player, which in turn will help us move up the table and eventually challenge for the league.

So if it was my business and i am willing to pump 30m into it this season, then i want to see progress up the league table 4-6th place would have a manager survive another season imo.... whereas if i pumped in another 50-80m then it has to be top 4 or else you're gone.... after all it took Man Utd about 50m in total to win the league last year and challenge this year and that after selling their best player to Madrid.

Gus
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      Reply #64: May 22, 2012 08:28:04 pm
       thers something about FSG which i dont know if ive figured out yet. like 1 poster said with a couple of signings from kenny he would have probably got us to 4th. so i wonder what FSG or thinking, i would really like to know, heres a few examples
      1/  they want champions league quickly or your out
      2/ you only have a 30 mil budget and you only get one chance coz we cant make money wihout CPL
      3/ Your a young manager we have a defacite of 4 years to get together ateam that plays great football and will continue to be dominant for years to come as we keep our acadamy full of top potential for you to pick from.
         for me it would be 3 all the way, i just wish that FSG would come out and tell us there plans and then we could get behind there ideas and build a new mighty red era.   

Quick Reply