Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Put the magic back in the Cups

Read 1292 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Put the magic back in the Cups
      May 22, 2012 02:20:18 pm
      As far as I'm concerned, Liverpool FC has always existed to win trophys. That is how our success has been measured, it's why we can proudly call ourselves "Englands most successful team".
      Of course we now find ourselves living in an era where the prospect of earning money (Champions league qualification) has replaced winning trophys (in some peoples eyes!) as the main priorty at the start of the season.
      So how about this for a solution to please all parties (well, maybe, we'll see)....
      Award a Champions league place to each of the two cup winners!
      This will make the cups, especially the League cup more competitive, and definitely put the magic back into winning them.
      The Europa places can start at 4th place.

Well what y'all think?
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: Put the magic back in the Cups
      Reply #1: May 22, 2012 02:23:56 pm
      Never going to happen.

The league is a greater test than cup competitions and therefore the rewards are better.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: May 22, 2012 02:24:26 pm
      You mean 1st, 2nd, League Cup and FA Cup winners get Champions League?

But sadly ... I don't think they would want to see clubs from Championship win a cup and make it to the Champions League ..
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #3: May 22, 2012 02:27:33 pm
      For me the criteria for CL qualification should be 1st & 2nd positions in league and the rest of the two positions going to cup winners.This will also make the league more competitive and the cups would be back for sure.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #4: May 22, 2012 02:27:36 pm
      Maybe for the FA cup not sure about the league cup. Top 3 teams and an FA cup winner.

It would make it more exciting thats for sure. Imagine a championship team in the champions league.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #5: May 22, 2012 02:29:22 pm
      I don't think they would want to see clubs from Championship win a cup and make it to the Champions League ..

The point is (I think) with C.L. at the end of the rainbow both Cups would be treated with more enthusiasm by the top teams.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #6: May 22, 2012 02:32:32 pm
      I don't think for a second that the FA would ever go for it, but it would boost the importance of the cups. The Champions league is a farce now anyway, given that you don't have to be a champion to qualify. Not that I was complaining back in 05!!!
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #7: May 22, 2012 02:33:21 pm
      The point is (I think) with C.L. at the end of the rainbow both Cups would be treated with more enthusiasm by the top teams.

YUP, thats exactly the point bubbs.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #8: May 22, 2012 02:33:21 pm
      I don't think the championship teams would be able to make it because the league teams would start taking the cups seriously and the better team would win apart from a few upsets which are always going to be there.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #9: May 22, 2012 02:40:23 pm
      Bugger it, why don't you make it really interesting, An FA Cup vs League Cup winner play-off, winner takes the Champions League place. 

:f_whistle: >:D :P
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #10: May 22, 2012 02:46:47 pm

True but I guess like what HTH said, though, bigger rewards.

If you're not the top 4 in your country, you don't get to play in Europe's top competition. Simple.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #11: May 22, 2012 02:49:55 pm
      Best option is to have a break away European league.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #12: May 22, 2012 02:55:10 pm
      Top teams take the cups seriously anyway.

21st century FA Cup winners

Chelsea
      Liverpool
      Arsenal
      Arsenal
      Man United
      Arsenal
      Liverpool
      Chelsea
      Portsmouth
      Chelsea
      Chelsea
      Man City
      Chelsea

Only one team in 13 years who aren't considered a "big" team now.

21st century League Cup winners.

Leicester
      Liverpool
      Blackburn
      Liverpool
      Middlesborough
      Chelsea
      Man United
      Chelsea
      Tottenham
      Man United
      Man United
      Birmingham
      Liverpool

Four non-"big" teams and only one of those has been in the last eight years.

So it's hardly a case of any tom dick or harry winning the Cups, they've been won, generally, by the so called top sides.

What they need to do is swerve second, third and fourth getting in the Champions League and make it only the Champions of the top 32 nations who play in it. How the F**k third place in England get a bye to the group stages yet sides who win their domestic League still have to qualify is still something I will never agree with. Champions League yet you're a Champion and qualify, you've won F**k all yet you go straight into the competition. Mix up in terms? Nah just solely down to the thing that's ruining this sport and increasing this business - money.

Meassure it on FIFA's world rankings. The heighest ranked 32 European national sides (on a particular date) are the 32 nations who have their domestic League champions play in the Champions League. Also lash it back as straight knock out and none of this bollocks lose three group games and still yet go through. Nah, straight two legged affairs from the off in a straight draw. If City get Real Madrid in round one then tough F***ing sh*t.

Then you can lash second, third and fourth in the UEFA Cup/Europa League and bring back the arl Cup Winners' Cup for those who win the domestic competitions. If one of the sides who finish in the top four win a Cup then their Cup Winners' Cup place should be null and void. Throw every other countries domestic cup winners in a hat and pick one at random to decide who get a bye to the next round.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #13: May 22, 2012 03:53:34 pm
      ^^^^^

I'd much prefer to see a Cup Winner's Cup return and limit the CL places to a maximum of 2 per country have the knockout phases first and then have a league proper, 15 teams, 7 home, 7 away games and if you really need to a 'Final' featuring the top 2 in the league, but you'll never get the teams to agree to this and keep the Europa roughly the same but have no teams drop into it from other competitions. 

Never happen, because of money though. 

Quick Reply