Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Whoever gets the job, what is reasonable for FSG to expect in the first season?

Read 4087 times
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Re: Whoever gets the job, what is reasonable for FSG to expect in the first season?
      Reply #23: May 17, 2012 09:41:09 pm
      PL and CL is where the big buks is at whilst Carling and FA are trophies they are 1/100000 of the money you get from the other two.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Whoever gets the job, what is reasonable for FSG to expect in the first season?
      Reply #24: May 17, 2012 09:43:26 pm
      Top four only will be a success. I need to admit that what we expect for lfc.
      CORNISH
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #25: May 17, 2012 10:01:53 pm
      we could win the europa cup, league cup and fa cup next  season and finish 5th, it still wont be enough  for those fooking yanks. they want 4th place, thats it. sod the trophys, 4th is the new silverware!!!!!
      they  sacked mr dalglish because he failed to  get  4th.ergo if the new bloke fails to  get  4th he would also  be sacked.................
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #26: May 17, 2012 10:13:19 pm
      we could win the europa cup, league cup and fa cup next  season and finish 5th, it still wont be enough  for those fooking yanks. they want 4th place, thats it. sod the trophys, 4th is the new silverware!!!!!
      they  sacked mr dalglish because he failed to  get  4th.ergo if the new bloke fails to  get  4th he would also  be sacked.................
      i love k. Kenny but we need to say that we were twenty points away from top four. If we miss by a few points isn t a disaster.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #27: May 17, 2012 10:23:57 pm
      Calm down buddy the owners have done a lot for the club. The Kenny sacking hangover will leave soon. Im missing him just as much as you.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #28: May 17, 2012 10:30:35 pm
      depends who comes in as manager, coach etc.
      even if we get someone v experienced, a big name, top4 will be difficult ... there's no continuity, new ideas... we're starting next season a few steps back either way
      if we get a rookie, could be worse again ... same problems as above, but we'd be more likely to loose players, won't be able to attract good ones ...
      jayzus

and this crap today about wigan 'letting liverpool' talk to martinez. i mean FFS ... wigan ...it feels like we're the beggars going around the doors, it's F***ing sh*te. if avb or martinez are the limit of our ambition, and we're saying we removed someone like DALGLISH for one of them boys, seems like madness to me.

i thought these yanks had a better plan than put an ad in the paper... but they don't seem to have 1 guy (or just 2) in mind .... seems like they want someone to come in and wow them with a slick delivery and '5 year plan'.  they might know their baseball, but hope they have someone who knows something about football advising them, whoever that might be.

gotta say, as the days go on since KK went, it's angrier i'm gettin, not more accepting ...
      there's a rumour going round they want someone young, energetic, with new ideas?!?! heard it several time in the media. F**k ME. in that case the yanks would have pensioners like fungie, asrene and and arry drawing pensions, not comin 2nd, 3rd and 4th.    age doesn't matter a bollox!!!!  probably just speculation again, but it does make you want to punch a wall.

argh...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29: May 17, 2012 10:33:36 pm
      So they see Arsenal as a model top 4 each year making profits but winning F**k all.they dont really understand this club do they.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #30: May 17, 2012 11:08:11 pm
      From a fans point of view, lets be brutally honest here. Regardless of who gets the job, as things stand we are going to find it very difficult to get into the top four next season.

Without a doubt and my worry is that a few of our better players will want out if the club don't get this next appointment right. There's a few who have been here a while now and they might just decide they don't fancy yet another rebuilding phase with a new coaching staff, different training regime, new ideas all over again.

I have concerns about keeping hold of Skrtel, Agger, Reina, Suarez and Gerrard if i'm honest. Not sure they will all fancy going back to the drawing board and if Champions League football comes calling I wouldn't be surprised to lose at least 2 from that list.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #31: May 17, 2012 11:11:39 pm
      why did we not strengthen in Jan who is to blame for that.Two cup finals apparently mean nothing,
      So if we finish 5th win the Two Cups and the Europa league it will not be enough.If we finish 5th and win no Cups the manager will have to go the die is cast.

I don't believe Kenny would have been sacked if we'd finished 5th and were in with a sniff of the Champions League spots. The fact we were out of it a couple of months ago and limped in in 8th place is why they have ended his contract. I think people are getting a little silly with the comments. Let's not suddenly lose sight of the fact we had a poor season and it's not one we would have accpeted from another manager I suspect.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #32: May 17, 2012 11:17:14 pm
      First season? Depends on how much the new manager is given for summer spending. If he's given over 30m to spend, I think they should set their expectations at top 4 in the league, minimum. We've won a domestic cup this year, so next year should be focused on the league and the Europa League.

Fourth means Champions League. Champions League means attractiveness to top players. Top players are the way to the top of the table. The fact that we finished 27 points away from the bottom and 37 from the top is the reason why this season was unsuccessful. My opinion is most likely different than yours, but I believe that a fourth place finish and no cups is a more successful season than 8th place and the Carling Cup.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #33: May 18, 2012 01:56:05 am
      I don't believe Kenny would have been sacked if we'd finished 5th and were in with a sniff of the Champions League spots. The fact we were out of it a couple of months ago and limped in in 8th place is why they have ended his contract. I think people are getting a little silly with the comments. Let's not suddenly lose sight of the fact we had a poor season and it's not one we would have accepted from another manager I suspect.
      I agree 100%.

If for instance we ended up 5 points out of the CL spots (6th, like Chelsea) Kenny would likely still be here. But from our final position (8th) FSG couldn't see the Champions League with a telescope.

Seriously, ponder these facts for a moment... 
      • We were closer to a relegation spot (16 points away) than we were to 4th (17 points away).
      • We were equally distant to last place Wolves and 1st place Man City (27 points away from both).
      • Liverpool got just 19 points from its last 18 league games.
      We all love Kenny, but Kenny wasn't fired for missing 4th -- let's not be drama queens and shout that, it's nonsense. Kenny was fired because we were 13 points away from 6th.

If the new manager gets us to a position relative to where Chelsea ended up this year, 65 points and 6th, he'll likely be fine.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #34: May 18, 2012 02:54:06 am
      When we look at the season - which we've classified as bad - we still managed to win our first trophy in six years, and were in the final of the FA Cup, so three trips to Wembley in a season we're all disappointed with. The league form was bad, but it was also very weird when you think about it. I don't buy into the argument of "We were unlucky" but there were quite a few games where we probably deserved more than we got, for example. We only really performed badly in a handful of games and were rightly beaten in those. I know football is a results business, but generally speaking, our performances were good. At times we played some of the best football the club has played in some time, but we didn't get the results - and that built up over time.

I hand on heart believe that if this season were to be repeated, we would have finished higher up the table, maybe 5th, but probably 6th. Our biggest failings, in my opinion, were not being better in the first half of the season when Arsenal and Chelsea were struggling as badly as they were. We should have capitalized and been like 10-12 points higher than what we were when Lucas went down. (And for the record, fourth does not necessarily mean Champions League. Third does.)

I disagree with the notion of "If it were any other manager..." because I've personally said one bad season is not a reason to fire a manager (something like relegation is a completely different scenario). Keeping in mind, of course, this bad season still resulted in a trophy. In my opinion, whoever the manager was deserved another season.

But we're not just talking about any manager. We're talking about Kenny Dalglish, the heart and soul of Liverpool. I'm not saying he should be given a free pass and blank check or anything like that, but his managerial record at LFC should have warranted him another season at least. I mean, considering Kenny Dalglish's "worst season as Liverpool manager" resulted in 1 cup, 1 runners-up, and 1 disappointing league campaign, he's shown what he can do as manager of this football club. He needed another year.

So realistically, I don't know what FSG are expecting. They - and too many supporters - probably expected too much this season to begin with, so if we have a repeat of this year, will that manager get sacked too? I don't know. I think they're going to tell the new manager Champions League or bust because there was something poignant in Kenny's comments about his firing:

"Of course I am disappointed with results in the league, but I would not have swapped the Carling Cup win for anything as I know how much it meant to our fans and the Club to be back winning trophies."
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #35: May 18, 2012 06:31:00 am
      The World Cup
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 764 
      Reply #36: May 18, 2012 06:55:46 am
      Finishing in the top 6 at least making real progress to a top 4 finish, seems to be the main priority for FSG in other words far more  consistency in the PL.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #37: May 18, 2012 07:17:58 am
      The owners need to man up, they definately should not have got rid of Kenny in my view, and now when they make their choice they have to stand by their man. So must we, this is the most important managerial appointment the club has made in many a year. He must not fail, but he must also be given a chance and time to succeed.

Therein lies the rub for me 'mick.

FSG it would seem have now set the parameters and laid down a target for what they deem success. That target? A Champions League place. To that end I believe that FSG have made a rod for their own back.

Let's be logical here; if the new boss finishes fifth, with no trophy - he won't have exceeded anything (in real terms) Kenny achieved. In fact he'll have achieved less. Do FSG stick to their 'template' and sack him? I guess they have to... unless, of course, they feel that the Club can build on that finish. Which brings me on to the following...

Henry & Co could only have come to the conclusion that Kenny (after one full season) should be sacked because they were of the opinion that he wasn't capable of building on the League Cup win, Europa League qualification and League finish but how the F**k could they come to that conclusion?

With all due respect my ass knows more about snipe shooting than Henry & Co know about football. They have to have sought some sort of council; but who? There's rumours that it's David Dein who's got their ear... a man who's not even in their employ but F**k only knows.

Either way one full season and a few quid can't be enough for any sensible appointment to make his mark unless, of course, the signings Kenny made come good, we have less injuries in important areas, we miss less penalties and balls start going in off the post as opposed to rebounding to safety. Wait a minute tho'... surely none of that will be attributed to the new boss; or will it?

Top four finish - Template for success or Recipe for disaster? - I still can't decide.  :confused-smiley-013:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #38: May 18, 2012 08:24:06 am
      Therein lies the rub for me 'mick.

FSG it would seem have now set the parameters and laid down a target for what they deem success. That target? A Champions League place. To that end I believe that FSG have made a rod for their own back.

Let's be logical here; if the new boss finishes fifth, with no trophy - he won't have exceeded anything (in real terms) Kenny achieved. In fact he'll have achieved less. Do FSG stick to their 'template' and sack him? I guess they have to... unless, of course, they feel that the Club can build on that finish. Which brings me on to the following...

Henry & Co could only have come to the conclusion that Kenny (after one full season) should be sacked because they were of the opinion that he wasn't capable of building on the League Cup win, Europa League qualification and League finish but how the f**k could they come to that conclusion?

With all due respect my ass knows more about snipe shooting than Henry & Co know about football. They have to have sought some sort of council; but who? There's rumours that it's David Dein who's got their ear... a man who's not even in their employ but f**k only knows.

Either way one full season and a few quid can't be enough for any sensible appointment to make his mark unless, of course, the signings Kenny made come good, we have less injuries in important areas, we miss less penalties and balls start going in off the post as opposed to rebounding to safety. Wait a minute tho'... surely none of that will be attributed to the new boss; or will it?

Top four finish - Template for success or Recipe for disaster? - I still can't decide.  :confused-smiley-013:

Good sensible post mate,thank you.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #39: May 18, 2012 09:34:08 am
      4th.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #40: May 18, 2012 09:40:13 am
      4th or better, They sacked Dalglish because he didn't achieve this.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,428 posts | 3416 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #41: May 18, 2012 10:28:01 am
      They're clearly expecting a F***ing miracle.
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      Reply #42: May 18, 2012 11:41:20 am
      They're clearly expecting a f**king miracle.

This post sums up the ridiculous blinkered eye view of Kenny. STOP IT NOW!!!! He may of fu**ed up but nobody can deny he and FSG has moved things forward in terms of were we where.

We have invested over £100 million in the squad and got rid of a lot of dead wood. Ok some signings are not delivering - the no1 culprit being Downing. But Suarez, Carroll, Henderson, Adam, Enrique have all added massively to our SQUAD. We should of be challenging a least for a top 4 place last season not f**king around being a cup team and being clueless at home.

There is now way we should be that far behind the top teams (bar city.) It's all down to the manger and coaching staff now. Whoever comes in needs to use the right tactics, get the players to perform for 93mins a game, win home games, turn draws in scrappy wins and add to the squad when needed.

We don't need another 100 million to compete, we need a bit of re jigging, develop youth really well and then buy to improve each season in areas we begin to lack in. Ie like old f**king red nose does each season.

We are still a f**king massive club not a sleeping giant in need of a complete overhaul.

Give Kenny and FSG some respect that have both done their bit to move us forward not backwards.

......to answer original post I think they expect us to be challenging for 4th until the last day of the season and couldn't give a sh*t about FA or Carling. The Europa cup is only going to become a more and more important cup for a lot of teams not just us, a good run would also be looked upon well.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #43: May 18, 2012 11:45:46 am
      As we draw closer to an appointment

Are we? ;)

Back to the topic question.

I don't know what they expect.  Clearly they aren't arsed about trophies so I'd imagine a manager will play kids in all 3 cup competitions and be told that 4th place is the minimum acceptable requirement.

Sad times where a European Qualifying game in July is seen as more special to LFC than gathering cups in May.

That's what they'll want - 4th.  If not, we'll do this all again next summer.

Tickled me that.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #44: May 18, 2012 11:49:55 am
       Interesting point that JD about the cups, expect uber rotation in all of them to try and get us into the top four. My expectation is that should challenge strongly on all fronts, simply because I am convinced that's what we would have done if we had left Kenny in charge. My guess is we would have been challenging for the top four this season had we had anything of the rub of the green. Next season with Carroll now having found his feet, we ought to be in with a shout EVEN IF we do have a pop at the cups as well. Like I say, we would've been under Kenny.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #45: May 18, 2012 11:52:58 am
      Are we? ;)

Back to the topic question.

I don't know what they expect.  Clearly they aren't arsed about trophies so I'd imagine a manager will play kids in all 3 cup competitions and be told that 4th place is the minimum acceptable requirement.

Sad times where a European Qualifying game in July is seen as more special to LFC than gathering cups in May.

That's what they'll want - 4th.  If not, we'll do this all again next summer.

Tickled me that.

JD, for me supporting Liverpool is about winning trophies, and competing for all honors.

I'd much rather win a cup in May, than finish 4th. As this season proves - 4th can equate to nothing possibly..

Unfortunately, teams like Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City have ruined is, as football is all about money, and not winning anything, It really is a SAD state of affairs.

Trophies every day of the week for me.

Quick Reply