Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What would you rather?

Win trophies
      (56.6%)
      Finish top four
      (43.4%)

Would you rather WIN A TROPHY, or FINISH in the top 4?

Read 12794 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Would you rather WIN A TROPHY, or FINISH in the top 4?
      May 18, 2012 11:54:50 am
      Genuine question.

Ian Ayre has said in the last couple of days that Kenny would have been moved on regardless if he won the FA cup or not...

So my question is this, would you class a successful season as finishing in the top 4, and qualifying for the Champions League, or would you rather win a trophy or 2?

could the Mods please add a poll.
      Thanks
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Would you rather WIN A TROPHY, or FINISH in the top 4?
      Reply #1: May 18, 2012 12:21:05 pm
      This is a very tricky question, IMO. I'm going to carefully lay out the sentences because I don't want people to start jumping on my back!!!

At the start of every season, I want us to win cups and I want us to finish in the top 4 of the league every season. Both are very important for me.

I will never choose 4th place over cups and I will never choose cups over 4th place.

It's just that, when we're out of the race for 4th, let's be honest, we're just saying we rather have a good cup run or a win to mask over the failure of top 4 but we didn't ultimately want to throw away the league for the cups. But this is okay, because at the end of the day, football is all about winning trophies.

Also, I think we were all happy with the Carling Cup win because we have gone 6 years without a trophy. I don't think anyone would mind finishing top four and trophyless this seaosn, if we had won a trophy or two in the previous season. It's because we've gone a trophy drought, that we'd take a trophy now. We'll always take a trophy but not at the expense of the league.

Winning trophies is always nice (i approve that) but we've been out of the Champions League for a third year running and I wouldn't want to see us win FA Cup and League Cup every season but not qualify for Champions League for the next 10 years. And it's simply impossible to say the only trophy you'd trade for, instead of Champions League qualification, is the league title (you can't win the League and NOT qualify for Champions League unless it was 1985-1990).

If it's in our capacity to go for everything, by all means, do it but we only say we prefer this over that because we've got no chance for either one of them.

It pisses me off when some people claim (not on this forum) that Kenny rather win cups than finish top four. Kenny has and will never choose cups over a 4th place finish. He wants everything because he's a winner and he has got the Liverpool mentality - to achieve all of the best, in him.

So ... to answer the question. I don't want to win trophies for the next 5 years but no Champions League but also I don't want to always get top four, but no trophies.

This season, a trophy was needed because of our barren run but we can't afford to lose out on Champions League every season.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2: May 18, 2012 12:23:27 pm
      It's not just winning a cup and getting to a final though that matters, it's the fact we were so behind even having a chance of qualifying for 4th. If we were only a few points off then that'd be a different matter and i believe Kenny would still be our manager.

For those reasons our season was at best a partial success. I did however want Kenny to remain as manager and give him another chance to break into the top 4.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3: May 18, 2012 12:24:41 pm
      The debate has been done to death already. Most Liverpool fans would like to win trophies. Be that the Cup competitions or the Premier League Title.

More than anything we should aim for 1st. Then we should aim to win the cups. If we finish in the top 4 we get a shot at the CL for the next season as a pick me up for not winning anything.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #4: May 18, 2012 12:26:04 pm
      I'd rather win trophies.  That includes the Premier League trophy.

It's the lifeblood of the club.  If you finish second, third or fourth that should never be a reason to celebrate.  That's the sign of a sh*t club, not a club wanting to be the best.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #5: May 18, 2012 12:26:12 pm
      Win the premiership and everyone's a winner :P
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: May 18, 2012 12:26:27 pm
      I'll put myself in the shop window for a flaming right now.

Top 4, I've said all throughout the season, to challenge for the title and cups we need players that can compete with the likes of Man City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and now Even Newcastle.

The top drawer for top players is Champions League football make no bones about it, its all well and good saying "Well if they don't want to play for Liverpool, then we don't wan't them", but what you have to remember is the top players 9 times out of ten have earned the right to play champions league football and are probably playing for clubs competing in it.

So for the short termism at the very least before the club falls further behind in the pecking order, then top 4 football is a must for me, I don't really give a flying F**k if we don't win any silverware next season providing we finished 3rd as that's a real sign of progression and would broaden our horizons for potential signings that can hopefully help us to make the next step for a genuine title challenge.

I know the cups look well in the history books, but I don't want us to become a "good cup side"", I want us to be genuine title contenders.

That's my tuppence worth.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #7: May 18, 2012 12:26:37 pm
      For me top 4 with a cup win! We are far behind the winner of the league.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #8: May 18, 2012 12:31:05 pm
      Taking into account a point that JD raised the other day, it's not even 4th place now because depending on cup wins etc there is hypothetically only two places to fight/go for to guarantee Champions League football.

Therefore the only sensible choice is silverware, even if there were four places I'd still choose silverware.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #9: May 18, 2012 01:22:02 pm
      Both :scarf:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: May 18, 2012 01:28:23 pm
      4th, oh wait no cause if Chelsea win bla bla bla.
      3rd...
      Premier League needs a podium system so managers and captains
      can hold aloft the might 3rd place trophy.

Its the F***ing future.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #11: May 18, 2012 01:28:26 pm
      Trophy.

Something to look at in the cabinet and not something to look back on an say if only we finished 4th.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #12: May 18, 2012 01:37:44 pm
       Not a good question as it depends on the kind of trophy. Chelski supporters (if there is any real 1) would absolutely rather win CHL than finish in the top 4th, and all of us would do the same in their position. But when it comes to winning Carling or FA Cup and securing a CHL place for next season (in our case) I'd choose the latter without any doubt.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #13: May 18, 2012 01:51:05 pm
      This club should not have any interest in being 4th best.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #14: May 18, 2012 01:57:06 pm
      This club should not have any interest in being 4th best.

Yes, but it should have an interest of being Kings of Europe.

Top 4 gives that chance (2005 anybody?) FA Cup/League Cup doesn't.

Top 4 for me.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #15: May 18, 2012 02:19:13 pm
      What I prefer and what players prefer are two different things.  :-\

To win the league or Champions League, which is what Liverpool is all about as one of the biggest clubs in the world, we need to attract the best players. To get them you need to be in Champions League. So to reach our ultimate goal, 4th is unfortunately more valuable than a cup win.

Short-term, a cup win is wonderful obviously. But world-class players don't seem to give a damn about cups these days. Name me 5 top players who've mentioned Liverpool as a preferred destination.  Hazard? No. Hulk? No. Neymar? No. Van Persie? No. Etc...
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #16: May 18, 2012 03:07:30 pm
      Yes, but it should have an interest of being Kings of Europe.

Top 4 gives that chance (2005 anybody?) FA Cup/League Cup doesn't.

Top 4 for me.

What if it's the premiership trophy...
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #17: May 18, 2012 03:59:46 pm
      Silverware.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #18: May 18, 2012 04:15:25 pm
      In the short term, the only logical choice is 4th spot. Once we are back to our old selves, playing in the Champions League, we will open a lot of new possibilities for new, good and world-class players to come. Once that is done, and the team starts consolidating, we should aim for all competitions - like say Barcelona, but I think top 4 is a priority at the moment, despite silverware being all shiny and stuff.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #19: May 18, 2012 04:19:18 pm
      For me it's a choice between Silverware or the Emporor's New clothes and silverwear wins out everytime.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #20: May 18, 2012 04:20:36 pm
      I want to finish as high as possible every season...

But if someone had a gun to my head and it was either just 4th or trophies...??

Er..

Trophies..
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #21: May 18, 2012 04:25:33 pm
      I want to finish as high as possible every season...

But if someone had a gun to my head and it was either just 4th or trophies...??

Er..

Trophies..

The REAL trophy you get by winning the Champions League Final, to which you get by finishing up in the table.

Anyway, I have to say the question can be understood in 2 different ways.

1) Trophies or 4th spot FOREVA. Of course i would pick trophies, I don't want to go collecting fourth spots for the next 20 years, that is just absurd.

2) Trophies or 4th spot NOW. I would say 4th spot. Trophies will eventually come if LFC can reposition itself as a title contender in the EPL and the UCL. But that has to me done first.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #22: May 18, 2012 04:33:04 pm
      The REAL trophy you get by winning the Champions League Final, to which you get by finishing up in the table.

Anyway, I have to say the question can be understood in 2 different ways.

1) Trophies or 4th spot FOREVA. Of course i would pick trophies, I don't want to go collecting fourth spots for the next 20 years, that is just absurd.

2) Trophies or 4th spot NOW. I would say 4th spot. Trophies will eventually come if LFC can reposition itself as a title contender in the EPL and the UCL. But that has to me done first.

That's the problem. That kinda implies we'll only get the chance to win FA Cup and League Cup (and possibly Europa League) for 20 years but it is not the case.

Who is to say after 2 years of FA Cup and League Cup successes, we won't finish higher or even win the league the season after that?

Quick Reply