Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What would you rather?

Win trophies
      (56.6%)
      Finish top four
      (43.4%)

Would you rather WIN A TROPHY, or FINISH in the top 4?

Read 12795 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Would you rather WIN A TROPHY, or FINISH in the top 4?
      Reply #138: Jun 07, 2012 03:24:34 pm
      Depends on the trophy, to be honest in the modern era to be competing at the top of football, the f,a cup and carling cup is not enough because winning either or both will not be enough to attract players. A top four finish would be.

However if we were to win the Europa League i think that we could become a more attractive club than we are now, i personally would take a top four finish over winning the F.A cup but not sure if i would place finishing fourth over winning the Europa League.

Realistically for Liverpool FC to be at the top of football once again, we need to start progressing again and what better way to finish in the top four, allowing us to attract more players and to gain more funds, helping us to keep up with the likes of Chelsea, Man sh*te and Man City.

I think what i am trying to say is blergh, top four finish please.
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      Reply #139: Jun 07, 2012 03:54:43 pm
      Think you would be pleasantly surprised.

CL football is fantastic, but its of minimal use if its of means to nothing. Most people on here want CL football because it guarantees more revenue and makes you a bigger draw to top quality players. Arsenal have had that for the past 7 years and won nothing, if fact, they have fallen further away from the top honors if anything. One of the main reasons Nasri left, and now RVP is considering leaving is because they havent had a pot to piss in for the past 7 years.

Champions League football is of vital importance, but if it doesn't eventually lead to Silverware, the dust in that trophy cabinet gradually begins to build up. Alot of Arsenal fans may take CL qualification over Silverware, but certainly not all of them, and the longer their wait for a trophy goes on, the more of them will swing to the silverware side of the spectrum.

I hear what your saying but id take their last season over ours everyday of the week. It was a different league to where we were at. Id say the same if we won the FA cup aswell.

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #140: Jun 07, 2012 04:20:09 pm
      I don't understand why anyone is being asked to choose one or the other....  Winning trophies is what the club is all about, but finishing in the top 4 has a huge amount of value because it allows you to compete for the most prestigious trophy in club football.  Along with that, it also brings an estimated 20-30M in additional revenues which allows you to strengthen the squad and be more competitive in the following season. 

Winning trophies has a pedigree of its own.  Competing in the Champions League has a pedigree of its own.  Both are important.  We should always be looking to win every trophy we are competing for, and this should include the European Cup on a season by season basis. 

***  Edit:  I realize that Spurs finished 4th and don't get CL next season, but that is an incredibly uncommon scenario and will only happen to a team about 1 of every 10 years or so. 
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #141: Jun 07, 2012 04:26:55 pm
      I hear what your saying but id take their last season over ours everyday of the week. It was a different league to where we were at. Id say the same if we won the FA cup aswell.

Fair enough, game of opinions.

But personally, I had 3 trips to Wembley last season. 2 of which were some of the best moments I've had as a Liverpool fan, and they're memories I will take with me to the grave. How many 'memorable' moments did Arsenal fans have last season?

Personally wouldn't swap the experiences I had last season for those of Arsenal fans in a month of Sundays.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #142: Jun 07, 2012 05:46:23 pm
      Neil,

Just a quick one.

The club was sold for 297m and all monies went to the creditors, it was the price they were willing to take, there was not an additional amount of 190m, 297m cleaned our line line of credit and zero'd us out with the creditors.

The 50m loss recently announced was from the stadium project and letting managers go, it was already on the books as a loss, taking it all this year instead of amortizing it was an accounting function for FFP. 50m did not come out of FSG pocket as the money spent for the Stadia 40+m was part of the original purchase price. Roy Hodgson's severance would have been a loss along with Kenny's but that was their choice to do.

Impossible to know every number as 2010/2011 as 2011/2012 has not been accounted for.

Torres and RM got us about 61m along with some other small sales Babel 3m, ect.

Right now as a whole FSG is in for roughly 360-390m which by today's standards is not so bad.

Where do you get 360 -390 million ?

The only money FSG have invested so far is the £237 million paid to RBS

Quick Reply