Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Andre Villas Boas's Football Philosophy

Read 17387 times
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Re: Andre Villas Boas's Football Philosophy
      Reply #92: May 20, 2012 09:49:01 pm
      he did not only manage Porto he managed Academica Coimbra as-well

Thats only 3 clubs..
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #93: May 20, 2012 10:10:07 pm
      he did not only manage Porto he managed Academica Coimbra as-well

Yeah, but one season at a demanding club like Porto is where he proved he could cut the mustard at a big club. But it was only one season.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,462 posts | 4591 
      Reply #94: May 20, 2012 10:11:45 pm

Yeah, but one season at a demanding club like Porto is where he proved he could cut the mustard at a big club. But it was only one season.

One hit wonder? should have stayed at Porto and tried to replicate his success in the 1st season, thats what great managers do,build on their success's.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #95: May 20, 2012 10:20:19 pm
      One hit wonder? should have stayed at Porto and tried to replicate his success in the 1st season, thats what great managers do,build on their success's.

I believe he's the real deal, Shabs. He's very bright and learning from Mourinho is some education. But he isn't as sure a bet as Rafa and Capello because of his inexperience.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,003 posts | 223 
      Reply #96: May 20, 2012 10:21:56 pm
      Sadly, the media base his 'incompetence' on the fact that, apart from being a scout at Chelsea, has no association with the English game.

As such, you will get ignorant fools claiming he 'doesn't understand the English game'. Oh he definitely understands the English game (I think reading his philosophy and being a scout makes him pretty more capable of understanding the English game than the newspapers and idiots like Garth Crooks, Gary Pallister and the numbskulls on Soccer Saturday), the problem is he thinks the English model is not the way football should be played and quite rightly. Just because you don't adhere to tactics approved by the sheepskin wearing coat gaffers of yesterday (still approved by such cancerous managers today like Allardyce and Pulis) doesn't mean you don't understand the English game. Arsene Wenger came over to England in 1996 and completely changed the look of English football with his continental tactics and succeeded.

There seems to be this delusion that the English way is the right way, amongst all sections of the press, whether it is broadsheet or tabloid. I find it laughable then that they consider Liverpool to be a 'backwards' club when the whole English game is backwards, with English youngsters receiving piss poor coaching (unlike the top quality tens of thousands youth coaches in countries like Spain, Italy, etc). In my opinion, there is the right way (Andre Villas Boas, Wenger, etc) and there is the English way. AVB's coaching is becoming the norm in Europe and it would be wise to grab him before someone else does.
      and this x2 ^
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #97: May 20, 2012 11:38:32 pm
      Can't say that the thought of AVB gets me especially excited either if i'm honest despite some good attempts to talk him up in this thread. He was generally considered to be the brightest young coach in Europe this time last year but he did appear to struggle at Chelsea and I wasn't particularly impressed by his post match demeanor and his reasoning and answering of questions. Of course it could just be a blip year in what was a difficult job that came a year or two too ealry for him. It's perhaps no coincidence that Chelsea's form and achievments picked up somewhat when the returned to the tactics and approach they have used for the best part of 7-8 years. It was never going to be easy to change a side that has been so relient on a key spine of players and a certain style of play for so long. I would certainly be happier with AVB over Martinez.
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #98: May 20, 2012 11:42:54 pm
      Once bitten twice shy. Of course I can understand that Villas-Boas want to be careful. He said on the Portuguese cup final yesterday that  "I'm still choosing the right project and that decision will take the necessary time."
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #99: May 21, 2012 12:20:20 am
      Sadly, the media base his 'incompetence' on the fact that, apart from being a scout at Chelsea, has no association with the English game.

As such, you will get ignorant fools claiming he 'doesn't understand the English game'. Oh he definitely understands the English game (I think reading his philosophy and being a scout makes him pretty more capable of understanding the English game than the newspapers and idiots like Garth Crooks, Gary Pallister and the numbskulls on Soccer Saturday), the problem is he thinks the English model is not the way football should be played and quite rightly. Just because you don't adhere to tactics approved by the sheepskin wearing coat gaffers of yesterday (still approved by such cancerous managers today like Allardyce and Pulis) doesn't mean you don't understand the English game. Arsene Wenger came over to England in 1996 and completely changed the look of English football with his continental tactics and succeeded.

There seems to be this delusion that the English way is the right way, amongst all sections of the press, whether it is broadsheet or tabloid. I find it laughable then that they consider Liverpool to be a 'backwards' club when the whole English game is backwards, with English youngsters receiving piss poor coaching (unlike the top quality tens of thousands youth coaches in countries like Spain, Italy, etc). In my opinion, there is the right way (Andre Villas Boas, Wenger, etc) and there is the English way. AVB's coaching is becoming the norm in Europe and it would be wise to grab him before someone else does.

Bang on mate!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #100: May 21, 2012 12:22:15 am
      I think if we want a manager with experience and is a proven winner time after time then quite frankly I'm amazed Fabio Capello isn't ahead of Rafa Benitez in the poll.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,462 posts | 4591 
      Reply #101: May 21, 2012 12:24:59 am
      I think if we want a manager with experience and is a proven winner time after time then quite frankly I'm amazed Fabio Capello isn't ahead of Rafa Benitez in the poll.

Does not fit into the age group Fenway boys are looking for,is that discrimination?
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #102: May 21, 2012 01:16:38 am
      I think Capello showed in his time with England that if he can't have who he wants he struggles. He goes to teams with very good squads who should be winning, Madrid, Juventus etc and he shores up the defence and demands focus. There is no secret to Capello's success, he can't do that here. We cannot match Man City's squad let alone the others, in the near future at least. That is precisely why it gauls me when Rafa is being derided for not winning the league, given the only reason we were even competing for it was because of Rafa. If money isn't the deciding factor then Chelsea and City would not have won the EPL before we did.

Besides that, when Rafa and Cappelo came head to head, and Capello had by far the better squad, Rafa caned him.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #103: May 21, 2012 10:18:29 am
      He also likes to play a high line, which could get the best out of Reina. Pepe was at his best under Rafa when we relied on him to come off his line and sweep up through balls, which he did so excellently.

I think part of the reason he failed at Chelsea was because he didn't have an adept sweeper-keeper in Cech, and an immobile center half in Terry. Both of which we have.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,462 posts | 4591 
      Reply #104: May 21, 2012 12:45:15 pm
      Hmm, man management skills are be questioned.

Romelu Lukaku says he will 'never forgive' Andre Villas-Boas after claiming his treatment at the hands of the former Chelsea manager was 'weird'.

The teenage striker joined Chelsea from Anderlecht last summer, but failed to start a Premier League game or appear in the UEFA Champions League during Villas-Boas' brief reign.

Villas-Boas was sacked by the Blues in early March and Lukaku has criticised the way the Portuguese treated him, particularly in training.

The Belgium international told Sport Wereld: "There is one person that I will never forgive for what he did to me - the previous coach.

"There is one person that I will never forgive for what he did to me - the previous coach. It was the way he spoke to me and treated me. Right from the beginning, it was weird."
      Romelu Lukaku
      Quotes of the week
      Weird

"It's not just that. It was also the way he spoke to me and treated me.

"Right from the beginning, it was weird. I could not stand how he was treating me. I received no explanation.

"In training, he put me on the right or left wing. In training matches, I was a substitute with a shirt to keep swapping teams. I really learned nothing!

"I have told the club that too. I understand that he was under pressure, but I was also thinking of myself. I have improved in recent months."
      Don77

• 6,548 posts | 1093 
      Reply #105: May 21, 2012 12:58:56 pm
      Hmm, man management skills are be questioned.

Romelu Lukaku says he will 'never forgive' Andre Villas-Boas after claiming his treatment at the hands of the former Chelsea manager was 'weird'.

The teenage striker joined Chelsea from Anderlecht last summer, but failed to start a Premier League game or appear in the UEFA Champions League during Villas-Boas' brief reign.

Villas-Boas was sacked by the Blues in early March and Lukaku has criticised the way the Portuguese treated him, particularly in training.

The Belgium international told Sport Wereld: "There is one person that I will never forgive for what he did to me - the previous coach.

"There is one person that I will never forgive for what he did to me - the previous coach. It was the way he spoke to me and treated me. Right from the beginning, it was weird."
      Romelu Lukaku
      Quotes of the week
      Weird

"It's not just that. It was also the way he spoke to me and treated me.

"Right from the beginning, it was weird. I could not stand how he was treating me. I received no explanation.

"In training, he put me on the right or left wing. In training matches, I was a substitute with a shirt to keep swapping teams. I really learned nothing!

"I have told the club that too. I understand that he was under pressure, but I was also thinking of myself. I have improved in recent months."

Alot of players who don't get a game come out with things like this.... its what players do nowadays.

Maybe AVB didn't want him.. I don't think he signed him although I could be wrong. Thats why we need to get our managerial and other key positions sorted and then we can move forward and plan for next season!
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #106: May 21, 2012 01:22:16 pm
      All the signs are now pionting to AVB.

Can't see it not being AVB unless he turns us down.
      BC231979
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #107: May 21, 2012 09:28:36 pm
      Well the guy knows his stuff but Chelsea was the wrong choice

It's like going to work and finding one of your old bosses skivvys has been installed as the gaffer.

Situation could work but in a place where Terry, lampard, cole and Drogba rule the dressing room you're looking sick.

He may be very good for LFC - but how damaged is he from eight months with the above brat pack?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #108: May 21, 2012 10:06:53 pm
      I want Rafa but I think AVB would be a very good appointment
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #109: May 21, 2012 11:35:37 pm
      I still don't get the FSG obsession with looking at the two manager's who simply have on their CV's 'keeping their respective teams in the league'. Until they are proven with a bigger team, then Rodgers and Martinez are massive no go areas.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #110: May 22, 2012 02:26:56 am

A bit like that myself.

Kind of like when you become single again and you've an eye on a new girl
      but your curvy ex is available and you know she guarantees a great er night out.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,440 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #111: May 22, 2012 02:35:59 pm
      Can't agree about AVB, he needs to go away and build up his reputation first, the press would slaughter him from day one
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #112: May 22, 2012 09:49:41 pm
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #113: May 22, 2012 09:56:24 pm
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #114: May 22, 2012 10:01:28 pm

Agree, Diego. If it's not Rafa (or Capello) then AVB would be the best option.

Quick Reply