Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Whoever gets the job, what is reasonable for FSG to expect in the first season?

Read 4047 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Whoever gets the job, what is reasonable for FSG to expect in the first season?
      Reply #46: May 18, 2012 11:58:43 am
      We have a trophy in cabinet thanks to Kenny and participated in another final thanks to Kenny,we have something to sing and dance about thanks to Kenny,However Spurs who finished in the holy grail 4th spot are shitting themselves and praying that the plastics fail to win the Champions League in order for them to gain 4th.

I know what situation i rather be in,relaxed looking forward to Europe next season even though its on channel 5 knowing we have a trophy in the cabinet.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Whoever gets the job, what is reasonable for FSG to expect in the first season?
      Reply #47: May 18, 2012 02:29:59 pm
      Having put 300 million big ones in to save our club it would be reasonable for FSG to be at least given respect for doing what they feel is best to move the club forward.

Unlike Hodgson who was a drowning man when  he arrived and a complete turd ...

FSG have a reasonable expectation to us get behind the team AND back their managerial appointment.

We will be the first to tell them where they may be going wrong ............but give them a chance.
      Bosnian_Red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #48: May 18, 2012 04:48:14 pm
      I think they will expect the top four finish and maybe Europe League. In order for this to happen, I think a manager with European experience needs to be hired.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #49: May 18, 2012 05:14:31 pm
      Having put 300 million big ones in to save our club it would be reasonable for FSG to be at least given respect for doing what they feel is best to move the club forward.

Unlike Hodgson who was a drowning man when  he arrived and a complete turd ...

FSG have a reasonable expectation to us get behind the team AND back their managerial appointment.

We will be the first to tell them where they may be going wrong ............but give them a chance.

As much as I agree they saved our club, they also now have an asset that is worth much more than what they paid for it, so I wouldn't even mention the purchase price because they undoubtedly got a bargain.
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      Reply #50: May 18, 2012 06:14:16 pm
      As much as I agree they saved our club, they also now have an asset that is worth much more than what they paid for it, so I wouldn't even mention the purchase price because they undoubtedly got a bargain.

the club was touted around the world, we got what it was worth as did the new owners.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #51: May 18, 2012 06:48:01 pm
      There were parties willing to pay more, they weren't deemed to be in the club's best interests, which for the record I agree with. Considering it's estimated that the club has doubled in value since the yanks took over it's hard to argue they've added that much value in a club that's been around for more than 100 years in 18months, so stating a bargain was had is hardly stretching the truth.
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #52: May 18, 2012 07:16:36 pm
      How things have changed, the general clamour on here has always been f*ck the cups we want our league title back, now all of a sudden its all about winning cups? I don't get all the negativity towards expecting a new managers key focus being a top 4 finish? Everyone has to realise just how important CL football and the cash generated from it is to the future of our club especially with the introduction of financial fair play. Would I swap this years Carling Cup for having a 4th place finish? Absolutely! Was it a reasonable expectation this year? Probly not, but it has to be the key focus for our new manager, It's that money that will really get this club moving again, and have us being self sufficient.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #53: May 18, 2012 09:00:48 pm
      How things have changed, the general clamour on here has always been f*ck the cups we want our league title back, now all of a sudden its all about winning cups? I don't get all the negativity towards expecting a new managers key focus being a top 4 finish? Everyone has to realise just how important CL football and the cash generated from it is to the future of our club especially with the introduction of financial fair play. Would I swap this years Carling Cup for having a 4th place finish? Absolutely! Was it a reasonable expectation this year? Probly not, but it has to be the key focus for our new manager, It's that money that will really get this club moving again, and have us being self sufficient.

Pretty sure if KK had got into the CL places, as opposed to winning the Carling Cup, things would be different today.
      People might not like it, but times have changed.
      Sure, it's great to win Cups, the finals are great occassions - but I haven't been slaggin too many Utd fans over winning f**k all this season (well, that's not true, had a half hearted go at some of the boys but you're looking for trouble doin that).
      And to put the CL itself (placing) into context - it's a stepping stone (that shows progression) on the way to the ULTIMATE goal -- the Premier League title.
      Said it before but if I had to choose between 1 Cup per year for 5 years, or 1 CL title in 5 years time, I know what I'd pick every time.
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      Reply #54: May 18, 2012 10:26:33 pm
      There were parties willing to pay more, they weren't deemed to be in the club's best interests, which for the record I agree with. Considering it's estimated that the club has doubled in value since the yanks took over it's hard to argue they've added that much value in a club that's been around for more than 100 years in 18months, so stating a bargain was had is hardly stretching the truth.

It will of risen in value due to the debt they paid off and the investment they have put in (players, reduced overheads etc) I don't believe it was firesale that they are now reaping the rewards from.
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #55: May 19, 2012 12:04:18 am
      Pretty sure if KK had got into the CL places, as opposed to winning the Carling Cup, things would be different today.
      People might not like it, but times have changed.
      Sure, it's great to win Cups, the finals are great occassions - but I haven't been slaggin too many Utd fans over winning f**k all this season (well, that's not true, had a half hearted go at some of the boys but you're looking for trouble doin that).
      And to put the CL itself (placing) into context - it's a stepping stone (that shows progression) on the way to the ULTIMATE goal -- the Premier League title.
      Said it before but if I had to choose between 1 Cup per year for 5 years, or 1 CL title in 5 years time, I know what I'd pick every time.

Exactly right progression to where we should be at the top of English football, and the money would be a real shot in arm to help us get there. We need to see the bigger picture winning cups is great, but I don't want to be a cup team. Having said this I ain't knocking Kenny, given investment I believe we would have been there or there abouts next season so would expect nething less from the new guy
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #56: May 19, 2012 12:26:53 am
      It will of risen in value due to the debt they paid off and the investment they have put in (players, reduced overheads etc) I don't believe it was firesale that they are now reaping the rewards from.

They essentially bought a mortgaged property and in buying it eliminated all debt, it was not a purchase then a debt reduction. I agree that the acquisitions and severance packages will have increased our value but not to the tune of 100%, we were basically on the verge of repossession from the bank and were auctioned to the highest bidder. In those circumstances the buyer nearly always gets a bargain because the equity (perceived value above debt outstanding) is generally ignored. So I'm sorry but I disagree with you completely but I'm gonna leave it here as we're veering way off topic.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #57: May 19, 2012 03:34:57 am
      4th or better, They sacked Dalglish because he didn't achieve this.
      4th or better will be the ultimate goal - but I would imagine first season would be huge improvement and challenging for 4th or better, as had we been doing that this season I don't think we would be having this discussion.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #58: May 19, 2012 09:16:31 am
      What ever expectations they set Rafa, I mean the new manager.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #59: May 19, 2012 09:50:33 am
      Ain't that the truth! and it illustrates the strength of the acquisition in that it has gone from strength to strength with the fact that we are now in the hands of perceived credible owners.
      Given that premise ie the brand is rock solid, it would seem perverse that the aforementioned credible owners appear to be dismantling the structure and continuity factor of the tradition that is LFC.
      It has been proven that the club is financially viable merely by the fact it has almost doubled in value since FSG acquired it so why the hell are they fannying about sacking legends and why don't they throw some dosh at LFC which they will only reap the benefit of?   
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #60: May 19, 2012 01:01:46 pm
      Good question Stuey, would love to be able to ask them personally.
      Rammstein Red Chrome7
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #61: May 19, 2012 05:10:21 pm
      Perhaps they thought the legend was better than he was, his mere presence did not deliver the results we needed. But having made the decision to sack Kenny had they already had his replacement in mind? We could not go with the results and some of the performances.
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      Reply #62: May 19, 2012 06:48:25 pm
      why did we not strengthen in Jan who is to blame for that.Two cup finals apparently mean nothing,
      So if we finish 5th win the Two Cups and the Europa league it will not be enough.If we finish 5th and win no Cups the manager will have to go the die is cast.

The whole of the management team one of the reason for the purge
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #63: May 21, 2012 02:34:59 pm
      Lets be real... if this was your business, what would you have done? I love Kenny and it is really sad to see him go... however somebody is to blame for our league position.
      Just like we questioned Rafa's team selections or rotation, bemoaned our misfortune with injuries or this season our woodwork crisis, in the end the buck stops somewhere and in this case its the management.

I saw an earlier post regarding 20m investment per position... its laughable cos we spent 80m this past season and ended up one position worst off, so by that rationale we should have been in the top 4 this past season.

In answer to the question, i believe the owners want a top4 finish to reap the financial rewards of CL football. We all know that we cannot challenge for the league so any cup runs are effectively a bonus.
      In order to be sustainable we need CL football and in return the ability to play CL will also attract a better quality player, which in turn will help us move up the table and eventually challenge for the league.

So if it was my business and i am willing to pump 30m into it this season, then i want to see progress up the league table 4-6th place would have a manager survive another season imo.... whereas if i pumped in another 50-80m then it has to be top 4 or else you're gone.... after all it took Man Utd about 50m in total to win the league last year and challenge this year and that after selling their best player to Madrid.

Gus
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      Reply #64: May 22, 2012 08:28:04 pm
       thers something about FSG which i dont know if ive figured out yet. like 1 poster said with a couple of signings from kenny he would have probably got us to 4th. so i wonder what FSG or thinking, i would really like to know, heres a few examples
      1/  they want champions league quickly or your out
      2/ you only have a 30 mil budget and you only get one chance coz we cant make money wihout CPL
      3/ Your a young manager we have a defacite of 4 years to get together ateam that plays great football and will continue to be dominant for years to come as we keep our acadamy full of top potential for you to pick from.
         for me it would be 3 all the way, i just wish that FSG would come out and tell us there plans and then we could get behind there ideas and build a new mighty red era.   

Quick Reply