Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Would you accept a fourth place finish for next season right now? (again)

Read 18278 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Would you accept a fourth place finish for next season right now? (again)
      May 22, 2012 03:08:13 pm
      I asked this question last year but given that we've now went two years without football in Europe's elite competition, given we've just had our worst League campaign (results wise) for a very long time, given that the sides above us only seem to be getting stronger, given that we will have a new manager (even if it's Rafa) next season - would you take fourth place right now before a ball has been kicked.

Answer remains the same for me and that is no because I'd like to believe we're aiming much higher than just fourth place. And that's the rub of it, the question isn't a top four finish but actually fourth place itself. Which I know is top four but you get the point as asking would you take a top four finish everyone would say yeah as that could be first, second, third or fourth but a fourth place finish makes you think slightly more about what you're aiming for as a fan and what the club is aiming for.

So would you in the summer of 2012 take a fourth place finish for May 2013?

(interesting to see those that weren't around this time last year and what they say but also to see if with everything that's gone on this season if anybody changes their opinion from what they said last summer)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Re: Would you accept a fourth place finish for next season right now? (again)
      Reply #1: May 22, 2012 03:14:53 pm
      With our current squad without any additions in the summer 4th would be an acceptable slot to finish with either Cup won, however if we can add to this current team a striker,couple of pacey wingers and couple of  Midfielders we should be aiming for a Title run in.

This season we have to take into consideration we will be in 4 competition too.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #2: May 22, 2012 03:24:25 pm
      Can't answer fully until the season starts as we don't know who our manager is yet, what his expectations will be and what players we will sign.

Like if we get a Woy-esque manager in, then yes I would accept 4th place. But that changes with the manager and signings. Think I'm gonna hold off on my final answer for a while yet.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: May 22, 2012 03:28:00 pm
      While I maintain that we should be aiming for 1st like you said, you're just talking about 4th place right? (Not another debate between trophies or 4th, I presume)

To answer the question (just for 4th place) - Definite yes, but along with possible challenges and victories in cup competition, not at the expense of.

Big clubs compete in Europe's elite competition against the Europe's best as well as going as far as competing in cup competitions.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4: May 22, 2012 03:33:43 pm
      No, but I bet our next manager will. 
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #5: May 22, 2012 03:34:57 pm
      Sadly I would yes.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #6: May 22, 2012 03:36:04 pm
      If that gives us a Champions League Spot, then yes.

Can we get a poll? I'm curious
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #7: May 22, 2012 03:36:17 pm
      No, but I bet our next manager will. 

As would Prinicipal owner, chairman and managing director!!
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #8: May 22, 2012 03:37:17 pm
      Yes.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #9: May 22, 2012 03:44:33 pm
      We have to be realistic, I certainly would settle for 4th. It doesn't mean it is a successful season but with the squad we have right now, they would be punching above their weight in that position
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #10: May 22, 2012 03:46:46 pm
      No, we'll finish where we deserve, nothingis guaranteed in football and I'd never want it to be.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: May 22, 2012 04:02:56 pm
      I would settle  for 4th, because I don't think we are going get it. Sacking Kenny has set us back a year IMO.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: May 22, 2012 04:05:56 pm
      Our custodians certainly would.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #13: May 22, 2012 04:14:12 pm

For a minute there I though I'd fallen asleep and woke up in 2009. Phew. No wait...  :o

On topic: No.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #14: May 22, 2012 04:15:05 pm
      yes i would in a heartbeat. wheres the poll?
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #15: May 22, 2012 04:16:04 pm
      I would bite your hand off to get back into Champions League and I'm sure most fans will. We need more time before we can even think of winning the league,
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #16: May 22, 2012 04:17:09 pm
      Nope. Title challenge for me.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #17: May 22, 2012 04:17:59 pm
      I would settle  for 4th, because I don't think we are going get it. Sacking Kenny has set us back a year IMO.

agreed. I said same thing in the Rafa thread years ago when he was being sacked and i will say it again after Kenny got fired. The trick is to get a good manager and keep faith in him. Managers need years to mould a team and change how they play. its not only the players but the mentality of the club which cant be change in one season.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #18: May 22, 2012 04:19:42 pm
      Not too sure about 4th to be honest, look at Spurs, I'd be well pissed off if we finish 4th, next season and then get shafted!

Out of interest, how many have said yes to this question, but voted trophies to this question?
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,42988.0.html
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #19: May 22, 2012 04:24:25 pm
      Did you bump your head mate?  ;D
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #20: May 22, 2012 04:25:39 pm
      Definitely!

Going from 8th to 4th will be no mean feat for any manager, even Kenny if he was still manager! The top of the league is getting a lot more competitive; Man City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle will all be looking for them four places with us, naturally City and United will be aiming higher. We will have the extra games that the Europa League brings in as well as the need to be competitive in both domestic cups. All this with apparently a fraction of what we had to spend last year. Also the gamble that is bringing in a new manager, he could just as easily be a flop as he can be a success.

A top 4 finish would show considerable progress in my mind in light of a lot of potential pit falls.

I will only be delighted if we end up doing better than this, and I will be the first to come on here and say I was wrong, but as of right now, I'd bite your hand off for fourth.
      Rimli
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #21: May 22, 2012 04:51:46 pm
      Sadly, yes.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #22: May 22, 2012 04:57:05 pm

Nope. It's just what I expect every season though!

Quick Reply