Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Would you accept a fourth place finish for next season right now? (again)

Read 18277 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: Would you accept a fourth place finish for next season right now? (again)
      Reply #161: Jun 02, 2012 02:18:07 pm
      You know what, I'm not going to expect anything and I'm certainly not going to make any predictions., then I won't end up dissapointed in any way, shape or form.

I feel the same way. No prediction, but obviously I would like us to improve on the season that has just gone.
      Dalglish terdar 12
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #162: Jun 02, 2012 04:54:47 pm
      You are blind to the reality of the players you mention Caroll only came three or four games from the end of the season.Henderson has flattered to deceive all season, Spearings form declined as the season went on and Shelvey has been a bit part player.  Perhaps these players may improve under Rodgers but dont imply they are world beaters because at times they have been barely championship quality.
      As for the signings who knows. Rodgers will already have his targets and they may differ from the choices we all might want in the team. Our league form demonstrated how inconsistent and predictable we had become, if Rodgers does nothing else then he should at least improve on that.

Spearing may not be a world beater, but he is better than the majority of overrated English DM's currently out there, like bloody Scott Parker and Michael sideways Carrick!  He is also extremely young and has years left to prove himself on the same level as Lucas imo.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #163: Jun 02, 2012 05:09:43 pm
      Yes.

With every thing that has happened...new manager...possibly squad additions.....new style of play..........

4th would be a solid first season achievement.  Back where we belong in the CL.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #164: Jun 02, 2012 05:34:15 pm
      Would I be happy with CL qualification at the end of next season? Yes because it would mean we have progressed.

Would I take it now and know how the season finishes before it starts? No.. What's the fun in that.

Some people seem to forget this is a hobby... An interest... Something to take enjoyment from.

I like the ups and downs of it.. I wouldn't have that enjoyment knowing how it will end before it starts.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #165: Jun 02, 2012 05:42:23 pm
      But 4th place doesn't guarantee anything,ask Harry.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #166: Jun 02, 2012 10:22:58 pm
      Spurs got 4th and it"s not much good now. ;D
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #167: Jun 03, 2012 11:12:04 am
      Spurs got 4th and it"s not much good now. ;D

Fair enough, but what are the chances of one of Utd, City, Arsenal or Chelsea finishing outside the top 4 AND winning the CL?

It's not going to happen.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #168: Jun 03, 2012 12:43:58 pm
      A cup final and fourth spot would be acceptable. Especially after the season we just had.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #169: Jun 03, 2012 12:52:09 pm
      4TH,would be good,course it would, chumps league qualification equals a lot more income for the club/players/stadium.

But liverpool exist to win trophys,so while im not expecting the title this coming season,another cup final and 4th would be outstanding progress.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,384 posts | 2823 
      Reply #170: Jun 03, 2012 01:13:18 pm
      “It’s just about taking steps forward. Liverpool as a club should be in that Champions League but it’s not just that. The aim for Liverpool can’t just be fourth. It has to be number one but that’s a process and that is going to take just a wee bit of time to do that." - Brendan Rodgers, 2012.

That sums it up for me.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #171: Jun 03, 2012 01:34:13 pm
      “It’s just about taking steps forward. Liverpool as a club should be in that Champions League but it’s not just that. The aim for Liverpool can’t just be fourth. It has to be number one but that’s a process and that is going to take just a wee bit of time to do that." - Brendan Rodgers, 2012.

That sums it up for me.

Can't say fairer than that, he's hit the nail on the head.

Champion's League participation is not the be all and end all for this club, just a step in the right direction.

As a supporter of this club, I can't help but hope for more, for better, every season. At the end of next season, I won't be hitting the panic button if we don't win the title, because I'm not an idiot.

If we finish fourth, so be it, it would be acceptable progression, the money would be more than welcome, and I'd hope we'd have a shot a progressing as far as possible in the following CL campaign.

But the clear objective is the league title. I think this thread is far too black and white, as our improvement as a team and club cannot simply be based on a precise league finish in one particular season.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #172: Jun 03, 2012 01:57:50 pm
      That would be a massive step forward and give us buying power once agian
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #173: Jun 03, 2012 09:24:40 pm

That sums it up for me.

"...but that’s a process and that is going to take just a wee bit of time to do that"
      Sounds like he's softening us up, and we might not win the league next season. So Roger's being defeatist already?

Not for me.
      You DO aim to win the next game. You DO aim to win the title. But what constitutes progress if that doesn't happen? Think that is what this thread is kindof about.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #174: Jun 04, 2012 12:11:59 pm
      You DO aim to win the next game. You DO aim to win the title. But what constitutes progress if that doesn't happen? Think that is what this thread is kindof about.

Agreed.  If this time next year we have finished 4th, but shown an improvement in all areas, become more consistent and closed the gap considerably to the top then relative to the last couple of years that is success, particularly if we are evolving our style of play for the better.  As hard as it is to take we cannot really forget where we are starting from compared to those teams who finished above us this year.  Of course I want us to win the league, but I have wanted that for the past 20 odd years and I think it is now harder to win the league than it has been for any time in the past 20 years.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #175: Jun 04, 2012 02:01:06 pm
      I supose with Swanseas record signing (MAYBE) £6.8 mill, any targets Brendan may have had, may now have been ditched, as he could be considering going for a higher quality of player now. So who knows what our final squad will be. He no doubt has aspirations to take us to the top but in reality I think I would take 4th at the moment, and may change my mind later when I see who we start the season with, what our football strategy will be and who buys into the 'Brendan way' from our current squad, and which of them actually cut the mustard in any revitalised style he introduces. For that reason, I'm on the fence until pre season at least.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #176: Jun 04, 2012 09:02:14 pm
      Agreed.  If this time next year we have finished 4th, but shown an improvement in all areas, become more consistent and closed the gap considerably to the top then relative to the last couple of years that is success, particularly if we are evolving our style of play for the better.  As hard as it is to take we cannot really forget where we are starting from compared to those teams who finished above us this year.  Of course I want us to win the league, but I have wanted that for the past 20 odd years and I think it is now harder to win the league than it has been for any time in the past 20 years.

... and when you consider all the changes already this summer, IMO would be HUGE achievement if Rogers could finish in the top4.

Actually, after initial doubts about Rogers (and upset at KK going), there now seems to be quite a bit optimism around, which is great, and I'm feeling it too and am dying for the new season to come round.
      But we should try to keep a lid on it - there will be difficult times ahead, KK can testify to that. Rogers won't be able to work miracles. All the teams who've finished many points ahead of us will be looking to strenghten too, they won't stand still while we look to improve.
      I don't actually reckon we will put too much pressure on the new man and the team for next season, think the fans realise that this is the start of yet another process which we need to give time to bed down. If it's going to have any chance of being a long term success.
      We're learning from having 4 managers in shag all years ... it's a pain in the tits.
      Arshad 4pool
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts | -1 
      Reply #177: Jun 05, 2012 05:39:49 am
      Yes sure as long we dont suffer Spurs poor fate
      seanmalonelfc
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      • OOOH YOU BEAUTY! WHAT A HIT SON, WHAT A HIT!
      Reply #178: Jun 06, 2012 07:51:12 pm
      I would certainly take fourth, but i dont think we will get there. Aslong as were up there with the other 5 good teams at the end of the season then thats good progress
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #179: Jun 06, 2012 08:27:56 pm
      "When you count second place as failure, then standards are becoming fantastically high. We never celebrate second place here." ~ Bob Paisley

"I'd sleep with fourth - but I'd be thinking of first" ~ Rush
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #180: Jun 06, 2012 08:36:01 pm
      Premier League title
      League Cup
      Fa Cup
      Europa League

"Thats what i will accept"
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #181: Jun 06, 2012 09:29:55 pm
      For next season I would be happy with:

- At least 15 more points than this season's paltry returns.
      - To make Anfield a fortress again.
      - To play some attacking footy but with the continued strong defense that we had this season under Kenny.
      - To be in the top 6 at least.
      - To get to the quarters of the Europa League so we can all get to taste some great European nights again.
      - Another Cup Final.
      - For Brendan to be brave and not be afraid to drop established players that aren't performing.
      - To back the youth policy much as The King did...play the kids, they were terrific at times last year
      - To have a strong squad with quality back ups in every position. The problem was highlighted by Lucas and Suarez's issues last season.
      - To have patience with Brendan's philosophy and see it as stage one in a long term plan.

That would make me a very happy Liverpool fan.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #182: Dec 04, 2012 04:01:51 pm
      15 games gone and arguably our best chance of a string of results all season, would anybody still be taking a fourth place finish right now?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #183: Dec 04, 2012 04:02:48 pm
      15 games gone and arguably our best chance of a string of results all season, would anybody still be taking a fourth place finish right now?

No. I'd take 3rd though, if you're offering.

Quick Reply