Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Would you accept a fourth place finish for next season right now? (again)

Read 18279 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Re: Would you accept a fourth place finish for next season right now? (again)
      Reply #23: May 22, 2012 05:02:37 pm
      Probably.

Because without it, we'll just sack our new manager and the whole circle will start again.

So if one season of settling for fourth means we actually introduce some stability to the club and buy some better players then I'd probably just about take it. Would really like a trophy at least with it though.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #24: May 22, 2012 05:04:13 pm
      4th would be a realistic target for us, being new manager coming in with his philosophies and tactical approach not to mention new players coming in also, but looking at what happened with Spurs this season being 4th and still losing that UCL spot because of a lucky b**tard team won the CL, I'd say 3rd will be a better target.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #25: May 22, 2012 05:10:55 pm
      Heart says no, head says yes.

Obviously I want us to go out and get the title, but I know how unlikely that is, so I'd settle for a visible improvement and a cup win.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #26: May 22, 2012 05:24:02 pm
      No. Not now.

To have sacked Kenny who I think would have done it ..... I would now demand automatic CL qualification.

They are scouring the world for the best manager and one in effect better than Kenny.

So the result for me has to be better.

Title or Second now.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #27: May 22, 2012 05:31:09 pm
      No. Not now.

To have sacked Kenny who I think would have done it ..... I would now demand automatic CL qualification.

They are scouring the world for the best manager and one in effect better than Kenny.

So the result for me has to be better.

Title or Second now.
      Agree mate, and to think they gave Kenny three years!
      dava999
      • Banned

• 22 posts |
      Reply #28: May 22, 2012 05:43:50 pm
      I would bite their hand off now. Where are people getting a title challenge from?
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #29: May 22, 2012 05:49:22 pm
      I said it last year and my answer hasn't changed, in fact it's gotten even more sure - yes.

We will struggle to bring in and retain top players unless we get into the CL. Until we can bring in more top players we will not make a title run. I would gladly lock us into fourth this coming year in order to build for the future.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #30: May 22, 2012 05:52:05 pm
      If second is the first loser, how the F**k does anyone find solace in fourth.
      I'd rather win the Europa League.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #31: May 22, 2012 05:58:02 pm
      Standard Chartered, they say yes!

LFCexiled, he say noooooooo.

I wouldn't expect our players or new manager to have that mentality so why would I? If our players would be happy with 4th I don't want them, if FSG sign a new manager who finishes the season in 4th and feels the need to say "that'll do lads" then he's the wrong man.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #32: May 22, 2012 06:25:18 pm
      Standard Chartered, they say yes!

LFCexiled, he say noooooooo.

I wouldn't expect our players or new manager to have that mentality so why would I? If our players would be happy with 4th I don't want them, if FSG sign a new manager who finishes the season in 4th and feels the need to say "that'll do lads" then he's the wrong man.

I think we now have to aim for 3rd place and above, cause if we are aiming for 4th there are already 4 English clubs in the CL and all it takes is for one of them to finish outside the top four and then go onto win the CL and we are fooked.  Europa Cup again. 

As Liverpool FC we should be looking at 1st, that may sound arrogant, but thats what we have been brought up with over the years.  This aiming for a top 4 finish is farsacle, what club in there own minds thinks finishing 4th is good enough?  Fair enough we get CL football the season after, i want CL football and the Premier League.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #33: May 22, 2012 06:27:31 pm
      No never we must always start the season with the aim of winning the league.With all the bad luck this season next cant be as bad......can it?
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #34: May 22, 2012 06:30:43 pm
      I think the fans will play a major part, i have noticed at Anfield that the crowd will get on the players back really quickly, we need to be patient as this translates onto the field and effects the players.

We need to get back to the days when we got behind them for the full 90 mins.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #35: May 22, 2012 06:32:37 pm
      Being realistic and considering it will be our main aim for the next season, I'll say yes.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #36: May 22, 2012 06:33:55 pm
      And what if we do a Tottenham and then fail cause one of the 4 who are in the CL wins it and takes our place cause they failed to qualify?  Would you still be happy then?  I think not.

PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #37: May 22, 2012 06:40:47 pm
      We are a million miles from challenging for the league title, even if we strengthen in the Summer
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #38: May 22, 2012 06:44:13 pm
      Yes, I would accept it. No way we can win the league next year bar a miracle, which happen in cups but rarely over a whole league season.

We need to get back into the Champions League to sign/keep top class players.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #39: May 22, 2012 06:45:42 pm
      Yes, I would accept it. No way we can win the league next year bar a miracle, which happen in cups but rarely over a whole league season.

We need to get back into the Champions League to sign/keep top class players.

So in theory we need to be in the top 3 then??
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #40: May 22, 2012 06:51:19 pm
      Still feel the question kinda ... is misleading.

If we can aim for 1st, 2nd or 3rd ... I don't see why we need to settle for 4th. So, in this case, no, I don't want 4th place as I want higher.

But .. if it is about the 4th place itself (as the post says and assuming we aren't going for 1st, 2nd or 3rd), of course I will take it because I don't want 5th, 6th, 7th or below.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #41: May 22, 2012 06:56:31 pm
      Sorry but I never will accept 4th being good enough for us, especially before a ball is kicked
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #42: May 22, 2012 06:58:09 pm
      I want 1st place.  wont be happy if we dont get it.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #43: May 22, 2012 07:00:14 pm
      Sorry but I never will accept 4th being good enough for us, especially before a ball is kicked

Fully agree mate, what have we come to, when we aere discussing about being happy with fourth.  What does that tell the players?  Alright lads dont worry about 1st, 2nd or even 3rd, the fans want 4th.  Absolute disgrace that we are talking like this.  What kinda fans want that?  Not real ones?
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #44: May 22, 2012 07:02:43 pm
      So in theory we need to be in the top 3 then??

Top 3 will be very hard if Chelsea spend big this summer. City and Utd will probably be top 2 again with their present squads and new additions.

It will be between us and Arsenal for 4th IMO. Maybe Spurs, but I see Modric leaving and maybe more.  If we get 4th then we are into the CL qualifier which I am confident we would win.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #45: May 22, 2012 07:05:58 pm
      You do
      Top 3 will be very hard if Chelsea spend big this summer. City and Utd will probably be top 2 again with their present squads and new additions.

It will be between us and Arsenal for 4th IMO. Maybe Spurs, but I see Modric leaving and maybe more.  If we get 4th then we are into the CL qualifier which I am confident we would win.
      nt seem to grasp what i am saying

Chelski, man u and man c in top 3, we finish 4th to claim the last place in the CL, but wait a minute Arsenal have managed to get to the CL final and have won and they now claim the 4th CL spot and we are relagated the Europa League.

Do you get it now.  Go ask the Tottenham fans if they still want 4th place?

Quick Reply