Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Transfer budget each season

Read 2602 times
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison
      • Started Topic

• 168 posts |
      Transfer budget each season
      May 20, 2012 07:54:34 pm
      Fair to say we are about to start on the 'Project' to restore us into a dominant force again. Whoever comes in will ask for a bit of cash to bring in a marquee type signing I'm sure / hope. After that it's topping each season in areas that need improving & developing our youth players.

What transfer budget do we need each season to keep up with top teams?

For me I'd say £30 million plus player sales each season is where we will be. That enough?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Transfer budget each season
      Reply #1: May 20, 2012 08:52:22 pm
      Fair to say we are about to start on the 'Project' to restore us into a dominant force again. Whoever comes in will ask for a bit of cash to bring in a marquee type signing I'm sure / hope. After that it's topping each season in areas that need improving & developing our youth players.

What transfer budget do we need each season to keep up with top teams?

For me I'd say £30 million plus player sales each season is where we will be. That enough?

It'll have to be with the FFP rules coming in.  Only way to increase it is by winning thing, better sponsorship (tick that box already) & natch day revenue, hence the expansion/new stadium issue still being relevant.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #2: May 20, 2012 10:15:21 pm
      We probably need to spend around £300m to catch up with City.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: May 20, 2012 10:39:30 pm
      30 million is probably okay if you're just adding on to what you've built but it's definitely not enough for a new manager with new ideas who would want his own players.

And this doesn't take into account potential players leaving. 30 million is probably just enough to replace about two or three out going players but we're merely replacing, not improving the squad as awhole.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #4: May 20, 2012 11:25:56 pm
      IMO this summer we need a Striker, Left Wing, Right Wing, Attacking Midfield, Defensive Midfielder to dramatically improve on the league position and actually challenge for 4th and have enough depth to have a decent run in the cups - not where we need to be aiming.

I think 30 mill a season is Ok once you have a decent squad, we don't have players cementing themselves in every position on the pitch at the moment so we need a lot more investment.

To be honest if we have less than 70-90 mill to spend this summer I will be less that impressed with FSG's spending so far. Here's why;

They bought the club for 300 million, they have spend  around 120 million, they gained around 65 million from player sales (Torres, Aquilani), net spend of 355 million so far + Woys severance pay - say 360 net spend. Yes the stadium issue hasn't been resolved but whatever they invest on that they will get back from the revenue due to ticket sales so it will pay for itself once the initial investments supplied - i wouldn't expect a business to work another way.

Liverpool FC is worth a lot more than 360 million with the global fan base alone, due to its history.

They made a bold move with the Dalgish decision, they need to make one in the squad investment / transfer market too or they will start loosing faith - they will loose mine if they don't - especially with the fair play regulations coming into play.

Obviously i don't expect them to come out and state "we have a war chest available for the new manager" that should all be behind closed doors, but by the end of the summer it will be interesting to see what type of owners they really are and whether they really are here for the long haul.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #5: May 20, 2012 11:39:16 pm
      50 million this year, then lower it depending on progress, to where we only need to spend 30m a year.
      A-BoY
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      • Born As a RED, Live As a RED, Die As a RED
      Reply #6: May 21, 2012 12:09:00 am
      i would say anywhere from 40-50 million is good...as  the squad is severely damaged and theres going to be a lot of repairs to be done...Most of the positions need strengthening and if it happens then maybe a better future lies ahead...anything otherwise is going to be a major screw up ...YNWA
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #7: May 21, 2012 02:58:26 am
      The amount of budget we will get will dependf on where we finish in the league because you get so much more revenue if you finish in fourth (CL spot) than if you finish 5th. So if we do well in the league more money will be provided to the team.
      E.g we might only get a 10m budget every year if we finished outside top four but if we got in the top four and 30m budget might be provided every year.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #8: May 21, 2012 03:48:59 am
      I think if there are players out there that can
      1. improve us
      2. offer a potential financial gain
      3. Have always been Red's fan :)

We should get them if we can.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #9: May 21, 2012 09:15:12 am
      I think if there are players out there that can
      1. improve us
      2. offer a potential financial gain
      3. Have always been Red's fan :)

We should get them if we can.
      Often money changes the perspective on a players club when they were young.
      E.g did you think any of those foreign players would of supported Man City when they were young. They suddenly like Man City once they hear they are linked.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #10: May 21, 2012 10:17:43 am
      After this summer I'd say 20-30million would be enough to buy promising youth and to add depth.

But you can never guess when a big name signing may want to join for £30+ million on their own.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,617 posts | 3847 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: May 22, 2012 10:23:24 am
      Season 08/09____£6,250,000

Season 09/10____-£8,650,000

Season 10/11____-£5,150,000

Season 11/12____£35,350,000

I suppose we might have been expecting a bit much for 3 years of no investment to be turned around in one season.
      If we can continue at the11/12 rate we will build a strong challenge over the next few season.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: May 22, 2012 10:27:55 am
      Season 08/09____£6,250,000

Season 09/10____-£8,650,000

Season 10/11____-£5,150,000

Season 11/12____£35,350,000

I suppose we might have been expecting a bit much for 3 years of no investment to be turned around in one season.
      If we can continue at the11/12 rate we will build a strong challenge over the next few season.

Yup. That's why I didn't think Kenny should have his head called in his first full season. It's not like failure to qualify for the Champions League in 3 seasons were due to him. If he had been in charge since 2010, then I understand.

There's the argument he could have spent the money better, true, but for people to expect everything to be turned in one season just because we've got new owners a new manager is a little bit farfetched.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #13: May 22, 2012 10:51:40 am
      I think the time scale set out for the project of 5 years is (hopefully) going to be about right as I think the project FSG had in mind starts right now as all decisions taken will be theirs. A Summer announcement on the Stadium is on the cards (again, hopefully) and we can start reaping the rewards on the revenue we gain from the extra crowds via tickets, merchandise etc.

As soon as we have that income and it's sponsored so as to avoid debt, we can compete with the upper echelons of footballs rich clubs. We stand eighth on that list but we are definitely not the eighth best club in Europe at the moment.

Fucks sake, I feel properly pissed off with the way we are at the moment.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: May 22, 2012 11:10:49 am
      Often money changes the perspective on a players club when they were young.
      E.g did you think any of those foreign players would of supported Man City when they were young. They suddenly like Man City once they hear they are linked.

Yaya Toure grew up a die hard city fan, you watch him kiss the badge.

BC231979
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #15: May 22, 2012 09:59:54 pm
      Big bucks is what we need.

It has to be spent on 3/4 quality players.

More value than last summer that's for sure

But we need 3/4 big players to go straight in the team.

Def mid & right wing & striker required for a top 4 push
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #16: May 23, 2012 03:26:49 am
      We probably need to spend around £300m to catch up with City.

Stop being so dramatic.

We probably need a Ramirez, an Adebayor or Tevez type player and then we need to recall Cole and Aquilani. With a fit Gerrard, Lucas and Adam, we're already able to crush any team.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #17: May 23, 2012 10:51:55 am
      The places for me we need to improve this year are RW/LW ST and maybe a very cheap older CDM

We need two first class wingers a goal poacher and a bit of cover for Lucas.

I'd think 50-60 mil this year then we should be set

Quick Reply