Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3047774 times
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16330: Apr 24, 2014 08:10:35 pm
      But can Rodgers repeat this seasons league success next season......  :f_run:

Classic!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #16331: Apr 24, 2014 08:16:22 pm
      He's got lovely white teeth too.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16332: Apr 24, 2014 08:22:59 pm
      So you think Brendan is still playing the same style of football as when he first arrived? Or that people really said or believed that Brendan had changed his views or tactics based on what they had said?

Brendan's philosophy was based on the notion that 'if you're better than the opposition team with the ball you've got an 8 out of 10 chance of winning'. The core value of what he believes in has always been right and he has proven himself to be right. I absolutely believe that what we've seen isn't a 'change' of style or tactics. On greater thought we've merely seen a progression as players got used to the system and new players were introduced.

The likes of Diego have been pulled up on confronting an issue that is pertinent, especially on these boards, to say the least. He hasn't called anyone out or anything like that so I don't see why people are getting upset. We are all within our right to talk tactics, strategy, media handling all we want because it has all provided some healthy debate and there's no problem with bringing those topics back up. Relative to what AmericanPlant (or AmericanPlank as some have called him) was posting not so along ago on these boards (which bordered on downright slanderous towards Brendan), it's clear that none of us should have any irritations to what fellow members said or are currently saying on these boards. At least the vast majority of doubtful posts were footballing issues only and didn't descend into personal attacks on our man, which can't be said for the likes of AmericanPlant. I can only hope he's reading this and feeling like the idiot he is.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #16333: Apr 24, 2014 08:27:08 pm
      My conclusion is that Rodgers can Manager very well.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #16334: Apr 24, 2014 08:38:00 pm

Thanks for sharing mate, very interesting.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16335: Apr 24, 2014 08:38:25 pm

Too white....
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #16336: Apr 24, 2014 08:40:59 pm

Bit jealous are we mate?

;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16337: Apr 24, 2014 08:51:08 pm
      Brendan's philosophy was based on the notion that 'if you're better than the opposition team with the ball you've got an 8 out of 10 chance of winning'. The core value of what he believes in has always been right and he has proven himself to be right. I absolutely believe that what we've seen isn't a 'change' of style or tactics. On greater thought we've merely seen a progression as players got used to the system and new players were introduced.

The likes of Diego have been pulled up on confronting an issue that is pertinent, especially on these boards, to say the least. He hasn't called anyone out or anything like that so I don't see why people are getting upset. We are all within our right to talk tactics, strategy, media handling all we want because it has all provided some healthy debate and there's no problem with bringing those topics back up. Relative to what AmericanPlant (or AmericanPlank as some have called him) was posting not so along ago on these boards (which bordered on downright slanderous towards Brendan), it's clear that none of us should have any irritations to what fellow members said or are currently saying on these boards. At least the vast majority of doubtful posts were footballing issues only and didn't descend into personal attacks on our man, which can't be said for the likes of AmericanPlant. I can only hope he's reading this and feeling like the idiot he is.

The stats and actually watching the team play don't back you up mate. Last season Liverpool had the third highest possession in the prem.... we finished 7th. This season we have only the NINTH highest possession in the prem and we are top. This indicates to me that we are playing more direct. We had 45% possession against Everton... we won 4-0, we had 47% possession against Arsenal and won 5-1, compare that with our possession stats for last season when we were dominating possession but failing to win games.

Tackles won .... better last season, passing accuracy....better last season, aerial duals won.... you guessed it, better last season. We are playing more direct, creating more chances and scoring more goals.

This season we have attempted more through balls than ANY team in the prem
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #16338: Apr 24, 2014 09:18:38 pm
      ACH, Who gives a F**k who's right who's wrong, I mean ff's it's like a f***in sewing circle in here at times,

I'm with DLS, 24 f***in long years we've waited for this, 24 years, we used to only wait 24 f***in months,

The dick swinging has got worse the last few days, it's as if your still trying to prove even now after the main differences have been aired who's right/wrong,

And I thought women were the bitches !

We're so f***in close to the title I can smell the brasso, let's drop all the bullshit and dick swinging and get the banter going, let's start celebrating the fantastic season we've all had and when we do land the title it will be the best feeling on the planet , if we don't then it's still been the best season for ages.

YNWA 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16339: Apr 24, 2014 09:23:10 pm
      The stats and actually watching the team play don't back you up mate. Last season Liverpool had the third highest possession in the prem.... we finished 7th. This season we have only the NINTH highest possession in the prem and we are top. This indicates to me that we are playing more direct. We had 45% possession against Everton... we won 4-0, we had 47% possession against Arsenal and won 5-1, compare that with our possession stats for last season when we were dominating possession but failing to win games.

Tackles won .... better last season, passing accuracy....better last season, aerial duals won.... you guessed it, better last season. We are playing more direct, creating more chances and scoring more goals.

This season we have attempted more through balls than ANY team in the prem

If you read carefully that's not what I said. We've been better with the ball than our opponents, that was the aim and that aim has been achieved. I didn't say anything about having more possession. Those stats merely prove Brendan's point of needing greater efficiency and productivity on the ball when we have it. So yeah, the stats and actually watching the team (which incredibly as a Liverpool fan I have done!) do back his philosophy up.
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2014 09:33:51 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16340: Apr 24, 2014 09:33:48 pm
      If you read carefully that's not what I said. We've been better with the ball than our opponents, that was the aim and that aim has been achieved. I didn't say anything about having more possession. Those stats merely prove Brendan's point of needing greater efficiency and productivity on the ball when we have it. So yeah, the stats do back it up.

Yeah I noticed you carefully avoided mentioning possession.... Brendan didn't though :- “When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team...It’s death by football.” Sep 7, 2012

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16341: Apr 24, 2014 09:36:12 pm
      Yeah I noticed you carefully avoided mentioning possession.... Brendan didn't though :- “When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team...It’s death by football.” Sep 7, 2012

No need to sidestep the issue. And he's probably right on that as Barcelona, Spain have proven in the past and Bayern have shown throughout this season....only not last night it seems. Fact is, it has little to do with what he said regarding 'If you're better with the ball etc etc' so I don't quite know what you're aiming for to be honest. It has altered from midway through last season, but it hasn't 'changed'. The basic principle of being better with the ball is still there. Progression - something some fans weren't giving Brendan the patience to achieve.
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2014 09:50:31 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16342: Apr 24, 2014 09:53:15 pm
      ACH, Who gives a f**k who's right who's wrong, I mean ff's it's like a f***in sewing circle in here at times,

I'm with DLS, 24 f***in long years we've waited for this, 24 years, we used to only wait 24 f***in months,

The dick swinging has got worse the last few days, it's as if your still trying to prove even now after the main differences have been aired who's right/wrong,

We're so f***in close to the title I can smell the brasso, let's drop all the bullshit and dick swinging and get the banter going, let's start celebrating the fantastic season we've all had and when we do land the title it will be the best feeling on the planet , if we don't then it's still been the best season for ages.

YNWA 

This is better than thinking of women and t****ing cars Billy !  :angel:

We go again mate.

;D

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #16343: Apr 24, 2014 09:54:27 pm

Good at batting too :D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16344: Apr 24, 2014 09:55:56 pm
      No need to sidestep the issue. And he's probably right on that as Barcelona, Spain have proven in the past and Bayern have shown throughout this season....only not last night it seems. Fact is, it has little to do with what he said regarding 'If you're better with the ball etc etc' so I don't quite know what you're aiming for to be honest. It has altered from midway through last season, but it hasn't 'changed'. The basic principle of being better with the ball is still there. Progression - something some fans weren't giving Brendan the patience to achieve.

Not sidestepping anything mate.  It was you that was talking about Brendan's philosophy. Death by football WAS Brendan's philosophy, which he has now changed to a more direct style.

You should be giving Brendan credit for adapting his philosophy rather than trying to maintain that his philosophy hasn't changed. I am happy that we now play a more direct counter attacking game. Imo it would be silly to have a player as quick as Sturridge and not take advantage of the fact. Thankfully Brendan is not silly.   
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #16345: Apr 24, 2014 10:03:43 pm
      You should be giving Brendan credit for adapting his philosophy rather than trying to maintain that his philosophy hasn't changed.

It's something I have given him credit for as initially I didn't think he would be as flexible with his philosophy but he has proven he can be and it has paid dividends.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16346: Apr 24, 2014 10:19:01 pm
      Not sidestepping anything mate.  It was you that was talking about Brendan's philosophy. Death by football WAS Brendan's philosophy, which he has now changed to a more direct style.

You should be giving Brendan credit for adapting his philosophy rather than trying to maintain that his philosophy hasn't changed. I am happy that we now play a more direct counter attacking game. Imo it would be silly to have a player as quick as Sturridge and not take advantage of the fact. Thankfully Brendan is not silly.   

I have given Brendan plenty of credit and I'm not in any way trying to belittle him. I don't deny there hasn't been an alteration (as I've said many times before) but I believe the philosophy is still more or less the same, a basic principle based on delivering a technically high standard of football where we are better than the opposition with our ball usage.  I doubt a philosophy can be defined by a slogan. And anyway, we've been playing direct football since January last year, long before people stopped banging on about a need for Brendan to change. It's only since this side of Christmas that people have conveniently started saying 'he's changed for the better'.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16347: Apr 24, 2014 10:30:15 pm
      I have given Brendan plenty of credit and I'm not in any way trying to belittle him. I don't deny there hasn't been an alteration (as I've said many times before) but I believe the philosophy is still more or less the same, a basic principle based on delivering a technically high standard of football where we are better than the opposition with our ball usage. And anyway, we've been playing direct football since January last year, long before people stopped banging on about a need for Brendan to change. It's only since this side of Christmas that people have conveniently started saying 'he's changed for the better'.

Exactly. It changed when we added crucial quality - Coutinho and Sturridge.
      It is no surprise that teams that play possession based football can look quite dull when they don't have enough attacking quality; that happened at Swansea (most of the possession they had was in their own half) and earlier at Liverpool. With the addition of two quick, creative, quality attacking players, the style "changed" (or rather, its execution); and as FMS notes, it started in January 2013, not this year. But the basis of our game has remained the same. It's pretty much about "arrogance" on the ball, playing from the back, always looking for opportunities to attack.

Te main difference is that we now have an attacking power we didn't possess before and, I thought it should go without saying, styles are not perfected in a week; it took time and can still improve even more (I'm sure it will). I remember a poster calling Rodgers stubborn and saying he was unwilling to adapt his style as early as September of his first season with us :D I thought that was quite ridiculous and said so back then. It is no surprise that, when given proper time, he's proven to be quite the opposite: one of the best in the league for adapting and tweaking formations and playing to the team's strengths.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16348: Apr 24, 2014 10:34:50 pm
      I have given Brendan plenty of credit and I'm not in any way trying to belittle him. I don't deny there hasn't been an alteration (as I've said many times before) but I believe the philosophy is still more or less the same, a basic principle based on delivering a technically high standard of football where we are better than the opposition with our ball usage.  I doubt a philosophy can be defined by a slogan. And anyway, we've been playing direct football since January last year, long before people stopped banging on about a need for Brendan to change. It's only since this side of Christmas that people have conveniently started saying 'he's changed for the better'.

Happily that lets me off that particular hook because once we changed to a more direct style (when Sturridge arrived) I gave Brendan credit for the change in his philosophy straight away and have been happy with his new style and new philosophy of more direct and counter attacking football ever since. Prior to Sturridge's arrival I was frustrated that we were playing too much possession football with players that weren't particularly suited to it and said so as did redlfcblood.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16349: Apr 24, 2014 11:13:51 pm
      ACH, Who gives a f**k who's right who's wrong, I mean ff's it's like a f***in sewing circle in here at times,

YNWA

It's just a shame this mentality wasn't around earlier on - all the naysayers want to do now is enjoy just the ride, ironically  :f_tongueincheek:. Some of us were doing that way back, but we had to put up with all the BS from the negative ninnies.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #16350: Apr 24, 2014 11:19:50 pm
      Now lets back to what we should be doing and that's supporting Liverpool F.C on the brink of their first title win in over two decades and enjoy the f**king ride, even if it means you've chewed your finger nails down to your knuckles like I have. :D

This. I don't know where people get the energy to argue all the time, let alone the material. Don't know about anyone else but I cannot get a good nights sleep with the excitement and anticipation of what we might be about to do. F*ck arguing about who thought what about Brendan when he first came, everyone's behind him now that's the main thing surely.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16351: Apr 24, 2014 11:21:27 pm
      It's just a shame this mentality wasn't around earlier on - all the naysayers want to do now is enjoy just the ride, ironically  :f_tongueincheek:. Some of us were doing that way back, but we had to put up with all the BS from the negative ninnies.

So because someone had doubts about Brendan at some stage in his short career with us you object to them enjoying the ride?  :D

Maybe you should sift through everyone's posts and only those that pass the Beerbelly test of total unquestioning support should be allowed to celebrate when we win the league?

Personally if we win the league I will be celebrating and enjoying it as much as anyone whether I pass the test or not mate.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #16352: Apr 24, 2014 11:23:39 pm
      F*cks sake can't we have a row about Rafa or something? This Brendan stuffs boring  :f_tongueincheek:  :f_whistle:

Quick Reply