Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3067084 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16491: Apr 29, 2014 09:29:00 pm
      Those fans need a wake up call. A draw would be better than a defeat but we play to win every game, end of. It's not arrogance it's having a winning mentality. ;D
      Maureen knew Rodgers would go for the kill , it's a hard lesson for him and i think the next time we meet Rodgers will play him like a fiddle , we'll have more depth to our team to draw from as well .

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16492: Apr 30, 2014 10:38:56 pm
      Last season it was Klopp. This season it's Simeone.

Next season it's Rodgers.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #16493: Apr 30, 2014 10:45:33 pm
      Last season it was Klopp. This season it's Simeone.

Next season it's Rodgers.
      Adding to that
      Last year was an all German final. It will be an all Spanish final this year. It may be an all English final next year and one of the teams will be Liverpool.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16494: Apr 30, 2014 10:47:08 pm
      Adding to that
      Last year was an all German final. It will be an all Spanish final this year. It may be an all English final next year and one of the teams will be Liverpool.

Just thinking that I hoped it would be Manchester United.....skewered thinking to say the least. Would love to see a Liverpool v Arsenal final in my lifetime. I love our bouts in the Premier League and the cups. They're a team and a manager who I love going up against and the only big rival (this discounts Everton!) I have real respect for.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #16495: Apr 30, 2014 10:57:20 pm
      Just thinking that I hoped it would be Manchester United.....skewered thinking to say the least. Would love to see a Liverpool v Arsenal final in my lifetime. I love our bouts in the Premier League and the cups. They're a team and a manager who I love going up against and the only big rival (this discounts Everton!) I have real respect for.

You raise an interesting point about rivals/teams I have a genuine respect for there mate
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #16496: May 01, 2014 01:43:45 am
      Agree FMS. That is one club and fans with whom I have never had a problem of any kind. It is in a way suprising as well because Liverpool and Arsenal have been rivals for a long time and the rivalry has never been feisty. Also, Arsene is somebody I respect and for the past 7 or 8 years, he has been trying to do something that goes mostly unappreciated.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #16497: May 01, 2014 02:00:31 am
      Also, Arsene is somebody I respect and for the past 7 or 8 years, he has been trying to do something that goes mostly unappreciated.

Trying to do what, win nothing at all?

Screw Arsenal, this is a group of supporters that slated Suarez until they thought they were getting him and then they thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16498: May 01, 2014 02:34:32 am

Screw Arsenal, this is a group of supporters that slated Suarez until they thought they were getting him and then they thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

That's an easy and very lazy jibe to make FL Red. You'd have to be a football fan for a long time to really appreciate the stature Wenger has built Arsenal up. He is a man who has more or less conducted himself in a very dignified manner when up against those horrible cretins like Fergie and Mourinho. Yes they haven't won anything for years (which will probably end in a couple of weeks and I genuinely wish them good luck against Bruce's Hull) but they have still managed to display a lovely style of football and a great deal of financial sense in an era when most have lost the plot. Surely you realise this? There are teams and supporters who don't deserve the time and day, Chelsea being a perfect example. But with Arsenal, I'm more than prepared to give them my time and respect because they've earnt it. Simple as. And also, rival fans did that to Suarez, everyone did. Even some of our own had had enough of him last summer and I completely understood given the way he behaved.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #16499: May 01, 2014 02:52:21 am
      Regarding Arsenal. Yeah they have my respect, the way they have operated you cannot help but admire. Wenger has had the money to spend, but always gives youth a chance. How can you not admire that? Wenger could so easily make his life easy by going out and spending millions, but he gives his youth a chance, and you cannot help but admire that.

I look over the years, and if there is one manager who deserves respect its Wenger. What he has done is nothing short of brilliant. Chelsea and United fans look at what he has won, I look at what he has achieved. Also the board. They have had the utmost patience with Wenger, let him operate on his terms. There is nothing there to be envious off. Unless of course your Chelsea.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #16500: May 01, 2014 03:28:44 am

Look at it this way FL. When Arsene first became the manager of Arsenal, the club was taunted for being boring (boring, boring Arsenal). Yes, Arsene had the adavantage of a very solid defence. But, he took advantage of it and started building a special team. He changed the style of football Arsenal were used to playing. And, he built the invincibles. Mind you, that is no mean achievement, especially in the PL. Post 05, he has refrained from buying players to get immediate success. OK, some may say that it was due to their new stadium. But, this is a club that has tried to promote from within. Our club prides itself on that. And, this was during an era when some clubs were inflating the transfer market. We had the Galacaticos, Roman era etc... The best part of the whole process is his continuous involvement in the CL. Yes, he has not won the trophies. Of course, clubs exist to win trophies. But, right when he was on the cusp of building a great team, his key players wanted to leave the club. Some started thinking that they were bigger than the club. Arsene is trying to do everything the right way. Build a club the right way and play the football the right way. I feel a little sorry for him that it isnt working out the way he wants it to.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #16501: May 01, 2014 03:44:23 am
      Wenger could so easily make his life easy by going out and spending millions, but he gives his youth a chance, and you cannot help but admire that.

What did he pay for Ozil again? Add that to the 40,000,001 he wanted to pay for Luis and it sure sounds like he was trying to make his life easy by spending millions. Sorry but I find no reason to be enamored with mediocrity.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16502: May 01, 2014 04:33:03 am
      What did he pay for Ozil again? Add that to the 40,000,001 he wanted to pay for Luis and it sure sounds like he was trying to make his life easy by spending millions. Sorry but I find no reason to be enamored with mediocrity.

Not saying you haven't experienced the PL for long enough but those who have would certainly not call Wenger's legacy 'mediocre'.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #16503: May 01, 2014 05:27:20 am
      Think most do respect Wenger I certainly do but this is not the place to discuss the fortunes or career of another prem manager,
      This is the BRENDAN RODGERS thread, remember him. ?

He is our manger !!!!!

YNWA
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #16504: May 01, 2014 12:56:37 pm
      They're a team and a manager who I love going up against and the only big rival (this discounts Everton!) I have real respect for.

i actually do respect city for the way they approach the game. they play good football, they go out to win every game playing attacking football, their players aren't resorting to dirty tactics, diving and generally being a scum and God likes them, which is good enough for me.

i don't like that they're owned by billionnaires buying the title mind you, it's bad for the game. but as a team of professionals, i do respect them.

back to rogers, he should already be given the freedom of liverpool for what he's done (not just the team but the city). We have always been a proud bunch but he's put us back on the map and done it in style. brilliant manager and i hope he stays for the long term.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #16505: May 01, 2014 12:57:27 pm
      Seen some fans state that Rodgers has lost us the tittle, in his arrogance to go for the win and not the draw.

Me, personally wouldn't stand for a manager who would purposely draw a game when we have the chance to win it.  However if we did get a draw we would still have the league in our hands but nevertheless that doesn't guarantee we win the league or would have got the point.

What's others thoughts on this?

We've not lost the title but this was an example of a match we didn't need to win - but could not afford to lose.

We needed to finish this game with the point we had at kickoff. Probably the most important point we have played for in the club's history. getting that point would keep our fate in our own hands with two matches to go and knock Chelsea out of the title running.

They came to anfield determined to stick in their own half and take advantage of any mistakes we made. We hads no need to throw all our players forward with a minute to go before half time.

I've supported NESV and Brendan on here from the start but he made a mistake with this one. He will learn from this match and hopefully we will go on to win the league still but it's out of our hands now.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16506: May 01, 2014 01:01:23 pm
      We've not lost the title but this was an example of a match we didn't need to win - but could not afford to lose.

We needed to finish this game with the point we had at kickoff. Probably the most important point we have played for in the club's history. getting that point would keep our fate in our own hands with two matches to go and knock Chelsea out of the title running.

They came to anfield determined to stick in their own half and take advantage of any mistakes we made. We hads no need to throw all our players forward with a minute to go before half time.

I've supported NESV and Brendan on here from the start but he made a mistake with this one. He will learn from this match and hopefully we will go on to win the league still but it's out of our hands now.

Gerrard slipped! How can Brendan take the blame for this?

Should he have played Gerrard out of the position we've all been lauding him for to make sure there was always 2 defenders deeper than him?

You can not legislate for that kind of thing and hanging blame on his shoulders for it is unfair in the extreme. Even if we'd popped it around the back all game the slip could have still happened. Nope sorry not buying that one, lady luck just played us a cruel card and we couldn't make our own luck after that to balance things out nothing more, nothing less.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #16507: May 01, 2014 01:13:05 pm
      Not blaming Gerrad for the slip - anyone can slip so Im not sure where you're getting the "hanging blame on his shoulders" bit from.

The blame is with our strategy. If our team was back in our own half - with a minute to go till the halftime whistle - Ba has much less time before another defender or Mig is on him and there are players closing down his options even if he did slip. Doesn't guarantee he doesn;t score but massively decreases the chances.

at the time of the slip Gerrard was flanked by the two CBs almost at the halfway line and there was no other player in our half - what were we taking that risk for? We weren't creating much at the other end and even if we had got the three points we would still be having to beat Palace etc. It's like sending the goalkeeper up for a corner in the first half. Completely unecessary risk and unfortunately naive.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16508: May 01, 2014 01:17:40 pm
      Seen some fans state that Rodgers has lost us the tittle, in his arrogance to go for the win and not the draw.

Me, personally wouldn't stand for a manager who would purposely draw a game when we have the chance to win it.  However if we did get a draw we would still have the league in our hands but nevertheless that doesn't guarantee we win the league or would have got the point.

What's others thoughts on this?

Only for his approach to the game we wouldnt be in a title race in all probability because we wouldnt have won te amount of games we have

secondly why change the approach he believes in. If we won Sunday we'd have finished Chelsea off and most likely won the league. They set up to prevent us doing so and they prevailed. I respect the boss for sticking to HIS beliefs rather then saying "oh were playing so and so ill go defensive" or " Ill play for the draw here jsut to be safe" 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,334 posts | 4960 
      Reply #16509: May 01, 2014 01:19:13 pm
      Not blaming Gerrad for the slip - anyone can slip so Im not sure where you're getting the "hanging blame on his shoulders" bit from.

The blame is with our strategy. If our team was back in our own half - with a minute to go till the halftime whistle - Ba has much less time before another defender or Mig is on him and there are players closing down his options even if he did slip. Doesn't guarantee he doesn;t score but massively decreases the chances.

at the time of the slip Gerrard was flanked by the two CBs almost at the halfway line and there was no other player in our half - what were we taking that risk for? We weren't creating much at the other end and even if we had got the three points we would still be having to beat Palace etc. It's like sending the goalkeeper up for a corner in the first half. Completely unecessary risk and unfortunately naive.

It's how Brendan likes his team to play.

It has us sitting top of the league with 2 left to play and if we adopted a more defensive style we could just as easy be sitting 6th or 7th right now.

I know what I prefer.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16510: May 01, 2014 01:25:10 pm
      We could have played it safe and an individual error might have still cost us the game. Then everyone would be asking why we didn't play our usual game.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16511: May 01, 2014 01:25:55 pm
      It's how Brendan likes his team to play.

It has us sitting top of the league with 2 left to play and if we adopted a more defensive style we could just as easy be sitting 6th or 7th right now.

I know what I prefer.

Yup. Me too.

We could still be managed by .....
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #16512: May 01, 2014 01:26:42 pm
      Not saying he should change his whole approach to the game - but this was the biggest crunch point in the club’s history. There was no way we should have lost to a team who didn’t want to get out of their own half.

Even if we had got the three points we wouldn’t have “won the league” – we would still have had to beat Palace at least.

At Swansea he played with “sterile domination” recirculating the ball until there was a clear cut chance. If we did that in this match we would almost certainly have kept a clean sheet and got the point we needed.

Wenger and Keegan argued that the shouldn’t have to change the way they played either but most of the world’s successful managers would have gone all out to make sure we didn’t lose that match.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16513: May 01, 2014 01:31:41 pm

Well you're basing your entire reasoning around that one incident and had it not happened Chelsea would not have had their goal, they would have never scored a goal, in fact they would have been lucky to get out of their own half.

So if you take that incident in isolation we were doing nothing different than what we've done all season, to ask Brendan to make us sit deeper while at home against a team who've clearly not come to win the game would be foolish. We would then have had to win our remaining 2 games when what was on offer was the chance to win this game and make the remaining 2 games even easier.

We weren't exactly going gung-ho we were in fact just passing it around the back at the time, part of the tactics you're suggesting we should have employed more, just deeper? Well if that mistake had happened while we were deeper then nobody would have been able to recover and Migs would have been on his line making it an even simpler finish for Ba.

It's one of those where hindsight makes it obvious that a defender should have been deeper and able to recover but we haven't played like that since Gerrard has taken up his new role and if you watch the incident again it is only because it is such a massive slip that Stevie can't recover in time. So for me there was nothing tactical about the loss other than our inability to score and the weight of the blame lies more on our players in wide areas than it can possibly weigh on Brendan. I know it hurts, I was physically sick for days after it, my brain still has a cloud hanging over it filled with frustration, despair and rage at the cruel nature of luck but hopefully there's a silver lining and that can all be forgotten in the glory but at the end of the day we can all only play the cards we're dealt and we just got a bad one.

Quick Reply