Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3049392 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #17319: Aug 30, 2014 09:05:55 pm
      Some posters on here really are quite deluded with where we are at and the current raised quality and competition within the premiership.
      Last year, being within a whisker of winning the league was unbelievable and unexpected.
      Credit goes to all at the club but also one has to realize that the other potential league winners really faltered and were themselves going through transitions.
      Rodgers is doing a fantastic job and has now assembled a squad of his own type.
      That's one hell of a job right there to renovate virtually an entire playing roster so quickly.
      FSG have backed him and he and the transfer committee have done efficient and steady work.
      This season is all about creating a standard where top 4 is the priority and a few good cup runs the minimum.
      We are in safe hands across the board but need to realize that integrating so many new faces quickly is bound to incur some up and downs and other clubs have certainly raised their level to increase the competition.
      All this 'must bring in some silverware or else' is utter nonsense. Look at the bigger picture. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #17320: Aug 30, 2014 09:16:35 pm
      If by trophies we are talking (and talk realistically) about the League Cup and the FA Cup a big part of me thinks....so what? The former should be scrapped outright and while I am a fan of the FA Cup there's no doubting that it is a distant third in terms of how we get on in the Premier League and the Champions League. Those competitions are not indicators of progress or of great value anymore so Brendan's "failure" in them doesn't really stand up to be anything significant against him. Brendan came into Liverpool to get build us up again, get back into the Champions League and then step up from there to hopefully win the Premier League and become European Champions. The immediate goal of Brendan's, when he arrived two years ago, was to re establish ourselves amongst the very best in the league and by doing so only the league mattered - it was all about Premier League, Premier League, Premier League. I couldn't give a sh*t how we performed in the domestic trophies so long as we performed in the league.

Yes the FA Cup and, to a much lesser extent, the League Cup are nice side dishes but that's all they've been of late - side dishes. They don't make or break a season anymore. When we can consolidate our position in the top 4 and as a regular feature in the Champions League, maybe then we can start prioritising those other competitions.

100% agree the cups can now only be looked at as bonuses.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #17321: Aug 30, 2014 09:24:03 pm
      I'd be happy with top 4 and a good Champions League run. If we can do well in the trophies then I'd consider that a bonus.

I think this is a season where we will be bedding in 9/10 players and it will take time, the fact we lost Suarez will mean we'll drop a few points while adjusting to a new system with new players, with many moving to a new league too.

Plus we'll have to get used to the adjustment of playing midweek CL matches and then again on the weekend.

We have very little CL experience within in the team too so I would be surprised if we were on full form in the competition in our first season of returning to it.

I also think thats where the squad is in comparison to City or Chelsea, I think we are a little bit behind them in quality and experience.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #17322: Aug 30, 2014 09:41:36 pm
      Agreed.
      Both city and Chelsea can and do buy players that can slot in virtually straight away, not worry about sell ons and just buy again after a few years when the players in question have fulfilled their need at the club.
      Personally I much prefer the idea of building for a long term plan.
      Rodgers is doing pretty much what I would want of any Liverpool manager during this time.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #17323: Aug 30, 2014 10:41:21 pm
      As long as the players coming in are better than the players leaving I don't think anyone should have a problem with it.

Agree.

I don't see why he wouldn't want his own players in either and I'd rather he was able to buy the players he wants and moves those on he didn't than be left with players he isn't happy with.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #17324: Aug 31, 2014 12:12:59 am
      Brendan Rodgers has done an incredible job so far and will continue to do an incredible job. Last season was one none of us will forget and, in my opinion, put us in a place we will stay for years to come. I do know the first few weeks probably wont be great to watch,not that we will struggle to win,but with the way we play as everyone gels and beds in. The first 3 fixtures weren't ideal,home to a Southampton that had something to prove,away to the champions and tomorrow away to a rejuvenated spurs side but after the transfer window is closed I think we'll see better performances come from the players. There's no doubt that BR is the right man in charge. I do think that we'll get top 4 again this season and if we can do well in the CL,considering its our first time in it for years then I'd be happy. As for the cups they're not a priority but if you offered me us winning the FA Cup without it affecting our league form I'd take it. But a trophy is certainly not a must and that Rodgers future hangs on that balance of that happening.

In Brendan Rodgers We Trust! :scarf:
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #17325: Aug 31, 2014 09:21:16 am
      Shipping out all the Rafa signings 1 by 1 5th transfer window now I believe he should have his "own " squad  so no excuses really.

Still bitter about Danny leaving I take it?

He wasn't good enough to take his chance - get over it.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #17326: Aug 31, 2014 09:57:48 am
      All this "no excuses" stuff makes me laugh really. "No excuses" if we don't win one of the four competitions we're entered in? Let's look at it:

Champions league? Given the squads and the teams which the two biggest Spanish teams have, not to mention Bayern Munich etc, let's be serious. And before anyone talks about Rafa and Istanbul, are they seriously suggesting that THAT Liverpool team would have a chance in this climate? No, thought not. We will not win the Champions League this season, our percentage chance is IMHO 0.0%. That said, had you offered most Liverpool fans the OPPORTUNITY to win it this season, in Brendan's third season in charge given we were continually finishing 7th previously, They'd have taken it.

Premier League: We have "no excuses" here either? The fact we haven't won it for over twenty years is I suppose by the by. Equally, the fact that we've just sold one of the best players in the World and "replaced" him with about ten players, all of whom have to settle, makes no difference either. Nor does the fact that both Chelsea and Man City have much more powerful, expensive and more experienced squads I guess. Equally, the fact that this time around we have to compete in the Champions league makes no difference whatsoever presumably. There is IMHO a chance we could win the league this season, but it is a small one. In percentage terms maybe 6%, but we ARE one of only three teams IMHO who can possibly win it. Once again if you'd offered me that when Brendan first started two years ago etc etc.

The Cups: No excuses? What, regardless of who you draw? Like last season when we drew first off Arsenal Away then the Mancs away? No excuses, even though it's a one off game where one dodgy refereeing decision, one mistake can put you out? Not for me.

"No excuses" if we don't win a trophy this season, despite the fact that over the last eight seasons, under four different managers, we have won one. It's a joke really, embarrassing.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #17327: Aug 31, 2014 10:23:06 am
      As for the cups they're not a priority but if you offered me us winning the FA Cup without it affecting our league form I'd take it.
      Isn't that the reason we've strengthened the squad TSG - so that we can compete on more than one front?  :confused-smiley-013:

I would hope tho', that when we talk about 'competing', we really mean "actually try to win stuff" and not just take part. It's not like we've been raised on a culture (like some trendy primary school) were everyone gets a medal for 'trying' "because we are all winners". Come to think of it: that's what a top four finish is now... "winning" without actually "winning". Anyhow...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I'd love to see us at least try to win trophies (the title in particular) and it saddens me to see people dismiss the domestic cups before the event.

The 'argument' being that we dismiss the cups so that we can concentrate on the league and that's fair enough but to dismiss cups and then play down our chances of winning the league? Weird.

Even more weird is the lack of faith that we can win [titles & trophies] especially when I read all the talk about folk being happy with our transfer business and trusting Brendan. If we have done great business,strengthened the team and know Brendan is a great manager; why can't we win?

Come the end of the season; when we look back there might be many mitigating circumstances as to why we didn't win a title/trophy and if that happens, it's then and only then that we should look for 'excuses' but to do that before the fact is strange in the least.

If you, genuinely, believe what you say Redmen/women then dare to dream.  >:D
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #17328: Aug 31, 2014 10:46:01 am
      My no "excuse" comment is not a discredit to anything that Brendan has done I was merely stating a fact that when a manager brings in 25 players to the tune of 212million it is an indication he has put his own stamp on the squad and it's future.

In addition to the changes in playing staff there have been significant changes in back room staff and academy level, all replacements just like the 25 players hand picked by Brendan himself.

Where is the line drawn then and what is the measure of success if we are too big for the "FA" and "carling" cup?Is it the Arsenal model of qualifying for the CL every season but not winning anything, for me LFC exists to win trophies and cups.

We're not talking about a Swansea or West Ham budget here it's significant investment and wholesale changes across the board all initiated and decided by one man if that model and philosophy fails to deliver trophies then yes in excuses should be thrown around by anyone.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #17329: Aug 31, 2014 11:21:02 am
      My no "excuse" comment is not a discredit to anything that Brendan has done I was merely stating a fact that when a manager brings in 25 players to the tune of 212million it is an indication he has put his own stamp on the squad and it's future.

Sorry to just quote part of your post here but the part about the future is what really matters.

Now with his own squad, philosophy and backroom staff Brendan really does have basically his very own set up.

Now personally I am expecting a pretty topsy turvy season while the gaffer juggles all of his new players and intergrates them into the first team.

So this season for me is another building exercise. Sure I hope we do well on all fronts but I'm not expecting miracles.

I'd be happy with another good league run and a place in the champs league.

The next few seasons should realistically be when we will be challenging for and winning trophies.

Brendan has a great foundation to build upon now... There will only be a few transfers over the coming windows and the squad will be accustomed to playing with eachother so those coming in won't disrupt the team as much as this season.

If anyone thinks we are a failure if we don't win anything this season then they need their heads testing.

We've basically rebuilt Liverpool from the ground up over the last few seasons especially during this transfer window. But the seed has been planted and has started to grow... We just need to give the gaffer time to nurture it so it can grow and flurish.

... I have no doubt's that he will and soon enough we will see a prize winning squad feared by everyone.

YNWA

IBWT
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2014 11:36:23 am by LFCSTEVE1984 »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #17330: Aug 31, 2014 11:26:49 am
      Hope Rodgers does at the very least get us to a cup final this year.

Three years without one would seem a pretty long time considering the investment made.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #17331: Aug 31, 2014 11:44:03 am
      Now personally I am expecting a pretty topsy turvy season while the gaffer juggles all of his new players and intergrates them into the first team.

I fully understand and appreciate the fact that not all new signings hit the ground running but we already had a "great foundation" to build upon and as Brendan has only bought players who will fit; it should be easier than some people tend to think: shouldn't it?

After all Brendan only signed the 'right players'; 'players who will fit'; 'first team improvers'. It seems to me [after everything Brendan has said] that these 'hand-picked' players being able to adopt, to 'the philosophy', should be the least of our worries mate. I can't see Brendan not having a clear vision of who was going to play where before he signed them; can you?

We were runners up with a smaller squad and "worse" players by all accounts so (assuming you reckon the signings have improved us); why can't we go one better this season?

In that respect [Brendan's players; Brendan's team] Dadorious is correct; we can't use the players as an 'excuse'... not if we genuinely believe they are an improvement on last season, that is.  8)

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #17332: Aug 31, 2014 11:51:32 am
      Hope Rodgers does at the very least get us to a cup final this year.

Three years without one would seem a pretty long time considering the investment made.

Agree mate and was why I started the 'Does Brendan need a trophy thread'.

I think a cup final is the very least we should expect and I actually do think he needs a trophy this season or at very least the following one.

We have a squad capable of competing on four fronts so I kind of agree with Dadorious ' no excuses' comment to an extent.

I also think Brendan would agree and has set himself some sort of silverware as a target this season as he knows we are a club that expects success.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #17333: Aug 31, 2014 12:14:31 pm
      I fully understand and appreciate the fact that not all new signings hit the ground running but we already had a "great foundation" to build upon and as Brendan has only bought players who will fit; it should be easier than some people tend to think: shouldn't it?

After all Brendan only signed the 'right players'; 'players who will fit'; 'first team improvers'. It seems to me [after everything Brendan has said] that these 'hand-picked' players being able to adopt, to 'the philosophy', should be the least of our worries mate. I can't see Brendan not having a clear vision of who was going to play where before he signed them; can you?

We were runners up with a smaller squad and "worse" players by all accounts so (assuming you reckon the signings have improved us); why can't we go one better this season?

In that respect [Brendan's players; Brendan's team] Dadorious is correct; we can't use the players as an 'excuse'... not if we genuinely believe they are an improvement on last season, that is.  8)

The players as you rightly say have been purchased to fit the system but...

As you pointed out a lot of them won't hit the ground running.

Even then those that do will still need time to learn the ins and outs of the rest of the team. Some of them might even flop.

It's not as simple as saying we have signed players to fit the philosiphy. They still need to learn to play with eachother, adjust to the pace of the league, and fine tune the roles the boss gives them.

This will take some time and a few games this season I think we might see this reflected in the results.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #17334: Aug 31, 2014 12:29:36 pm
      As you pointed out a lot of them won't hit the ground running.
      And as you pointed out... we [already] have a great foundation so...

Not all of them will need to.  ;)

It's not as simple as saying we have signed players to fit the philosiphy. They still need to learn to play with eachother, adjust to the pace of the league, and fine tune the roles the boss gives them.
      Interesting.

Do you reckon Brendan will try to play them all at once or gradually "fine tune" the team which finished runners up? 
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #17335: Aug 31, 2014 12:42:00 pm
      And as you pointed out... we [already] have a great foundation so...

Not all them will need to.  ;)
      Interesting.

Do you reckon Brendan will try to play them all at once or gradually "fine tune" the team which finished runners up?

I have no idea how many he'll try to play at any any one time.

But also on the flip side of the arguement, even replacing Coutinho with Markovic could take time.

The existing settled squad would still need to learn how he runs, the kind of balls he plays and he with them.

Like I said it will take time, then factor in the pretty much whole new back line and its easy to see that we may struggle in a few games this season.

You could assemble the best team in the world but they'd still take time to settle and gel.

But hey, this is just my opinion of course and everyone is entitled to their own... And I hope mine is wrong and we do win something... Just that I personally think it may take a full season to see the full capabilities of this new look squad.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #17336: Aug 31, 2014 01:28:04 pm
      I have no idea how many he'll try to play at any any one time.
      Okay... since, as you say, it's all about opinions: I'll try again.

In your opinion; do you think Brendan will  try to play them all at once or gradually "fine tune"? Or, if you prefer: do you, in your opinion, think it would be wise to play all the new signings at once?

Just for a bit of in-sight to your thinking mate (and you can correct me if I've picked you up wrong): Am I right in saying that: you trust Brendan and you are happy that the signings have improved us but... you believe they will take time to gel?

The thing is Brendan has made a conscious decision to both sign these players and play them. Should that back-fire [I doubt it will btw] and we fail get what seems to be the only target, for many on here [top four], then Dado is right... there can be no excuse.

This is very much a defining season for Brendan in that respect. For what it's worth - I believe that we have signed players who will keep us top four.  8)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #17337: Aug 31, 2014 03:38:41 pm
      Superb tactics today Brendan, hats off to you!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17338: Aug 31, 2014 03:41:02 pm
      Congrats on your 100th game Boss. What a way to mark the occasion.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #17339: Aug 31, 2014 03:41:17 pm
      Well in Brendan. Raheem Sterling might be on his way to being a £100M player but there's no question who LFCs biggest asset is
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #17340: Aug 31, 2014 03:48:59 pm
      Perfect 100th game for the boss - and I mean perfect. Once it went 3-0, he was happy to sit back and the subs worked well, but more importantly his original game plan was spot on.

I liked his wry little laugh at Balotelli's missed opportunity (when the keeper came out) after he basically took the ball forward on his own excellently. Basically was him saying 'good job Mario, better luck next time!'. Someone like Mancini would have blown his lid, but Brendan is more of a relaxed guy, and recognised the good in Balotelli's play. A good way of relaxing and instilling his players with confidence.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17341: Aug 31, 2014 03:50:12 pm
      He's my man crush.

Quick Reply