Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3047984 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #18998: Nov 01, 2014 02:58:49 pm
      Brendan Rodgers: "It was a game we had almost full control of...but we were punished for a mistake, that's what cost us"

Full control of what?

Rodgers: We passed the ball well, the options in front of the ball were good. We didn't create as much today as we would have liked.

Add that to the confusion, options in front of the ball were good???!!

He's watching a different game to us.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #18999: Nov 01, 2014 03:02:09 pm

Rodgers: We passed the ball well, the options in front of the ball were good. We didn't create as much today as we would have liked.
      That's because any silly pass would have found Luis and now we need 15 PERFECT passes to find Mario.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #19000: Nov 01, 2014 03:03:26 pm

We had control of nothing. If anything Newcastle knew a goal would come all they had to do was wait.

I hope Brendan isn't getting complacent because he feels his manager role is safe. Because he needs to show more passion at the moment for me.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #19001: Nov 01, 2014 03:05:26 pm
      Brendan Rodgers: "It was a game we had almost full control of...but we were punished for a mistake, that's what cost us"

Full control of what?

That one bamboozled me mate, must admit
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #19002: Nov 01, 2014 03:08:19 pm
      Balotelli had about 7 touches on the ball in the second half. Where's the Liverpool of last season when all players made forward runs into the box? I don't understand what on earth has happened.

I couldn't give a f**k if some say he is trying hard, it's not whats expected of a Liverpool striker. Nobody is making runs into the box, and who is creating the space?

It's primarily the strikers job to do this.

I am utterly beyond despair at the moment - we know we can play well but where the hell do the problems start? Tearing my hair out and I can't figure out the root of the problem.

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2014 03:18:31 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #19003: Nov 01, 2014 03:08:36 pm
      Oh dear this is going to be a difficult week for Brendan. We have lost our identity this summer and we look like strangers and we shouldn't be relying on just the class of Daniel to change things. Brendan's interviews are becoming repetitive and so are our results.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #19004: Nov 01, 2014 03:09:25 pm
      I think Brendan deserves a lot of the criticism he is getting... I just hope people give him a little more time before writing him off.

We need to stick together, weather the storm and get back on track. I really don't fancy the alternative at all. 
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #19005: Nov 01, 2014 03:11:19 pm
      Again deserves the criticism that will head his way again.

Persisting with Balotelli is killing this season, the team spirit is gone, the industry has gone.

We are pedestrian, predictable and pathetic, so we have the 3 P's, well in!

Pedestrian is the word I would pick out mate. It's actually quite startling. Frankly I am amazed that Brendan can't see it and hasn't tried something different. At least if he was doing something about it ie. give Sterling a run up front, either as a false nice or up ere with Balotelli, even trying Borini up there as a lone forward if he thinks that is the way to go. Instead he just goes with e same thing game after game. All this 'it was always going to take time' bollox doesn't wash so well when you have just spent 100 odd million quid in the transfer window. The fact we are completely utterly and utterly buggered without (the frequently injured) Sturridge shows a total lack of foresight in the transfer market and the manager is to blame for this. I just hope we can limp through to the new year without being too far off the top four and pray FSG back him in the January window.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #19006: Nov 01, 2014 03:11:31 pm
      I think Brendan deserves a lot of the criticism he is getting... I just hope people give him a little more time before writing him off.

We need to stick together, weather the storm and get back on track. I really don't fancy the alternative at all. 
      What's the alternative?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #19007: Nov 01, 2014 03:12:22 pm

Agree mate but he makes it hard to back when the same mistakes are repeated time and again.

Last season he earned a lot of credit for correcting his mistakes, this year what's gone on?

As for how we play if you hid the identities of the teams and showed someone our team last year and our team this year they would laugh at you if you said they were the same. Depressing, I honestly think top 4 has gone.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #19008: Nov 01, 2014 03:13:41 pm

If he was honest in his opinions he would be signing his own death warrant.
      managing Liverpool comes as a huge responsibility finishing 7th and winning a trophy and getting to a fa cup final gets you sacked.
      My opinion has always been the same as long as the team are showing unity and effort as well as skill the result is secondary but usually they are enough to get you silverware.
      We have through injury and player sale lost 50 plus goals out of the side and replaced them with Lambert who doesn't play and Balotelli who plays but doesn't score ANY LEAGUE GOALS.How do some players never get dropped from this side and how do some never get picked?
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #19009: Nov 01, 2014 03:14:59 pm
      I don't get it, everyone could see when we had two strikers on the pitch we looked a different side, so he goes and changes it back to what everyone knows doesn't work.

He seems more intent on having possession and doing F**k all with it than winning the game.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #19010: Nov 01, 2014 03:15:02 pm
      Hate to say it but his post match interviews are becoming a bit like Hodgson's.

Ie.......He's in denial!
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #19011: Nov 01, 2014 03:16:12 pm
      Today he says he knew we would be sh*te this season - he just cannot admit he is wrong, even when he makes himself look a tw*t
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #19012: Nov 01, 2014 03:16:17 pm
      Hate to say it but his post match interviews are becoming a bit like Hodgson's.

Ie.......He's in denial!

he is mate if he thinks he can produce a side like that after spending £100mil this summer he is deluded for sure
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #19013: Nov 01, 2014 03:17:39 pm
      Agree mate but he makes it hard to back when the same mistakes are repeated time and again.

Last season he earned a lot of credit for correcting his mistakes, this year what's gone on?

As for how we play if you hid the identities of the teams and showed someone our team last year and our team this year they would laugh at you if you said they were the same. Depressing, I honestly think top 4 has gone.

I think we may have to look to the cups this season for any joy. 
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #19014: Nov 01, 2014 03:18:06 pm

I agree in principle mate but I just can't believe how off track we've become.

He was 'given' a team at Swansea; he was 'given' a team with us to start with and now he's got his very own team - well, we can all see for ourselves!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #19015: Nov 01, 2014 03:19:04 pm
      Is the problem a poor transfer window? No, its actually a neglectful attitude towards our youth system. Why in gods name can we never get this right - every summer its like this, whoever the manager is. The only player whose really brought anything significant has been Lallana who seems like he knows how to play like Liverpool last year more than those who were actually a part of it. Only tentative signs from the prospects like Can and Moreno has added any positivity. The rest? Underused in my opinion.

I do feel there's a future for many at this club, but we're asking for trouble if buying mere prospects who aren't ready for 3 games a week is the main policy in the transfer window. I'm not blaming the manager solely on this, as it is FSG's policy too.

But its a real indictment against our failing youth system that we are spending mass sums of money on young prospects rather than actually developing our own prospects while spending our cash on established players.

That's why Dortmund, Barca, Munich and all the other top clubs can compete at the top. THEY CREATE HOT PROSPECTS AND FILL GAPS BY BUYING ESTABLISHED.

This isn't just a problem of now, this has been a problem for the last 16 odd years where our club has produced f**k all.

If anyone doesn't realise the importance of the academy, then they better do now - because it is our failing academy and negligent attitudes towards it that is bringing this club down. For all the mismanagement at the club, there has been nothing more shameful than our putrid attitude towards the academy and develop homegrown, ambitious youngsters get a chnace.

Once we do that, we won't need to buy incredibly expensive youngsters and we will be able to prioritise by buying top established players.

If we don't do this and change our attitudes towards the youth system (fans and club alike), then the club is going nowhere.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #19016: Nov 01, 2014 03:27:27 pm
       we have spent over £200mil but looking at the sides we are fielding at present its hard to see where all that money has gone. Its so clear now how much Luis contributed to this team not only his goals and assists but his winning hard working attitude was infectious. Sadly Mario's lethargy has spread throughout the team. Brendan has weeded out the likes of Agger and Pepe and he has brought in very weak backroom staff.
      A strong team this season would have put UTD down once again but I doubt if we will finish above them.
      The upturn from January 2013 coincided with the arrival of Sturridge and his partnership with Luis.Prior to that we were mid table now without Luis and Daniel that is exactly where we are heading so how much credit does Brendan actually deserve for last season when you reflect on what has happened since.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #19017: Nov 01, 2014 03:29:24 pm
      Chelsea and then Palace next

#Prayforbrendan
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #19018: Nov 01, 2014 03:32:53 pm
      I'm not sure what you are going on about the academy Son. Look at Sterling, Ibe, Wisdom, McLaughlin, etc....

We have good academy players for sure, but none of them are world class and that appears to be what we are lacking right now.

Our top end players just aren't playing as well as they should be and that's what's hurting us. We are having a serious hangover from last season and it appears to me that a good number of the established players just don't seem to have the urgency they had last year. They drop their heads, submit to defeat and don't really show any signs of panic (the good kind) during the game when there needs to be something happen.

Why Lallana sits on the bench today I have no idea....why Can sits on the bench I have no idea....why Sterling was given 90 minutes I have no idea....why we persist in playing Balotelli as a lone striker (although I actually thought he put in a good shift today) I have no idea.

Maybe Brendan can explain those items to me because it's almost like we conceeded a draw (that turned into a defeat) in this game from the start. I am really getting sick and tired of the slack passing and turning the ball over...we lack the sharpness that we had last year. Last year it was odd that we turned the ball over even under pressure...now we are giving it away without even being under pressure sometimes. I've been trying to stay optimistic but this team needs something to kick start it and I wish I knew what it was. And I wish even more that Brendan knew what it was.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #19019: Nov 01, 2014 03:35:42 pm
      Chelsea and then Palace next

#Prayforbrendan

have you forgot that Spanish team that play in white
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282