Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3048557 times
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #22931: Dec 23, 2014 01:01:52 am
      Actually you are wrong. 
      Its depressing.
      Very depressing. Just like the level of expectation has sunk to such a low level.
      Lose to the Mancs / beat Bournemouth and score in the 97th minute to draw and we've suddenly turned the corner ?
      4th is on?
      Yeh....

I feel much better.

It actually is depressing. But to be honest, I think there still is a chance for 4th. We are 5 points behind Arsenal and Tottenham, 7 behind Southampton. West Ham won't be involved in a few weeks and I can also see Southampton dropping off. So 5 points isn't really that much in 21 games. But for this to happen, we need Sturridge back and firing and the rest of the team to put in an effort like yesterday. Oh yeah, and a keeper would be helpful.
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #22932: Dec 23, 2014 01:04:04 am
      It actually is depressing. But to be honest, I think there still is a chance for 4th. We are 5 points behind Arsenal and Tottenham, 7 behind Southampton. West Ham won't be involved in a few weeks and I can also see Southampton dropping off. So 5 points isn't really that much in 21 games. But for this to happen, we need Sturridge back and firing and the rest of the team to put in an effort like yesterday. Oh yeah, and a keeper would be helpful.
      Atm we have 22 points of 17 games. That 1,3 per match. 70 points will be enough for 4th place I think. To get that, we need 8 wins in a row and then we need to get 1,8 points a match. Or LFC needs to get 11-12 points from every 5 matches to get 70 points.

Post of mine in another topic.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22933: Dec 23, 2014 01:31:07 am

Kidding ourselves if we even consider anything near 70 points.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #22934: Dec 23, 2014 02:25:52 am
      What was all this bollocks about yesterday being better than when we beat them 5-1?

Think he said something along the lines of us actually dominating the game as a whole more than the 5-1.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #22935: Dec 23, 2014 02:27:04 am

The whole point is that it might not take 70 points to make 4th this year.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22936: Dec 23, 2014 05:11:52 am
      Look we've dominated our last 3 games, the signs are there that we're beginning to turn the corner. When I say keep it up, I'm clearly talking about our recent positive attitude on the field.

I don't know if we'll get 4th, but I'm expecting much improvement in the second half of the season.
      I'm still backing of the boss!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #22937: Dec 23, 2014 09:35:50 am

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #22938: Dec 23, 2014 10:31:05 am
      I think we're turning the corner. We've started playing well again, and I've started to enjoy watching our football again. It's obviously not ideal to lose to Manc, beat Bournemouth and draw against Arse at home, but our playing style has improved. If people still think BR is not the long term solution, absolutely entitled to their opinion. But constantly pointing out the failures after less than half a season of bad form is disappointing. Give the man some slack.

Good to see players are buying into the new style as well. Team spirit seems to be on the up.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/adam-lallana-believes-liverpool-fcs-8334575
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22939: Dec 23, 2014 11:07:08 am

Arsenal and Spurs, on their current form, won't get 70 points either.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #22940: Dec 23, 2014 11:28:42 am
      The whole thing's about to get very very interesting. Those of us who absolutely believe in the manager (there ARE still a couple of us left) have had a tough time of it lately. Endless discussions about win percentages (always an interesting one that when we're discussing a manager who brought Swansea into the Premiership and exceeded expectations massively), haircuts, bird selection, posters on walls, cars etc etc, mixed in with the obvious and understandable disappointment that we aren't going to match last seasons best league effort for over 20 years, and we've had little to come back with.

Yes we've been able to reason that losing both of the top two scorers in the Premiership last season would damage most teams, but for many that is merely "an excuse", and there's only so many times you can be bothered to type it in any case. We've said that some of our other injuries haven't been ideal, that given the fact we signed so many youngsters with the "£120 million we spunked" it was impossible to call them all "failures" at this stage simply because nobody could know yet.

There's no doubt it's been a grim few months, and those of that persuasion have been able to gleefully put the boot into the manager at every opportunity. They've been able to ridicule his every word, slam his formations and his tactics as he's searched for answers, they've urged a defensive coach today (no doubt an attacking coach tomorrow and a completely new coach the day after that), and other than point out that it's all getting a bit boring, we've been kind of running out of answers.

Like I say though I have a very strong feeling things are on the turn, and THAT'S why it's going to get very interesting on the pitch AND on the forum. We are turning the ship around only a blind man can't see that, and when we do I have a feeling we are going to start absolutely blitzing teams again. Of course the predictable and obvious response will be "but then we'll all be happy as we ALL want the team to win", but while that's obviously true my guess and feeling is that such has been the vitriol, some are going to find it a bit uncomfortable to watch. My prediction is that we'll see the "a better manager  would have turned it around earlier" argument rear it's head, we'll see.

My guess though is that Melwood will currently be a happier place to be around than it was a few weeks back. People will be buzzing about getting into the team right now, and we are going to give someone a right good hiding very soon. I can't wait and I'll say it again here, we WILL go very very close to getting fourth, close enough IMHO to actually get there.

For the positive amongst us, for those who believe in the manager, our time has come. We've been on the ropes in the forum sense, but we didn't buckle and now we can come out swinging, great times ahead!!

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #22941: Dec 23, 2014 12:22:46 pm
      The whole thing's about to get very very interesting. Those of us who absolutely believe in the manager (there ARE still a couple of us left) have had a tough time of it lately. Endless discussions about win percentages (always an interesting one that when we're discussing a manager who brought Swansea into the Premiership and exceeded expectations massively), haircuts, bird selection, posters on walls, cars etc etc, mixed in with the obvious and understandable disappointment that we aren't going to match last seasons best league effort for over 20 years, and we've had little to come back with.

Yes we've been able to reason that losing both of the top two scorers in the Premiership last season would damage most teams, but for many that is merely "an excuse", and there's only so many times you can be bothered to type it in any case. We've said that some of our other injuries haven't been ideal, that given the fact we signed so many youngsters with the "£120 million we spunked" it was impossible to call them all "failures" at this stage simply because nobody could know yet.

There's no doubt it's been a grim few months, and those of that persuasion have been able to gleefully put the boot into the manager at every opportunity. They've been able to ridicule his every word, slam his formations and his tactics as he's searched for answers, they've urged a defensive coach today (no doubt an attacking coach tomorrow and a completely new coach the day after that), and other than point out that it's all getting a bit boring, we've been kind of running out of answers.

Like I say though I have a very strong feeling things are on the turn, and THAT'S why it's going to get very interesting on the pitch AND on the forum. We are turning the ship around only a blind man can't see that, and when we do I have a feeling we are going to start absolutely blitzing teams again. Of course the predictable and obvious response will be "but then we'll all be happy as we ALL want the team to win", but while that's obviously true my guess and feeling is that such has been the vitriol, some are going to find it a bit uncomfortable to watch. My prediction is that we'll see the "a better manager  would have turned it around earlier" argument rear it's head, we'll see.

My guess though is that Melwood will currently be a happier place to be around than it was a few weeks back. People will be buzzing about getting into the team right now, and we are going to give someone a right good hiding very soon. I can't wait and I'll say it again here, we WILL go very very close to getting fourth, close enough IMHO to actually get there.

For the positive amongst us, for those who believe in the manager, our time has come. We've been on the ropes in the forum sense, but we didn't buckle and now we can come out swinging, great times ahead!!

Good Post Mick.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #22942: Dec 23, 2014 12:28:23 pm

Hope you're right Mick.

Low on belief right now.

Still high on support though  ;)

Where is that ruddy guide dog of mine - "here KingRafa, here boy...."  :f_tongueincheek:
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #22943: Dec 23, 2014 12:35:50 pm

Amen brother!
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #22944: Dec 23, 2014 12:48:46 pm
      Think he said something along the lines of us actually dominating the game as a whole more than the 5-1.

He was right too.

We created 27 chances resulting in shots on Arsenal's goal and hit 74% possession in the first half. If we had Suarez and Sturridge at the tip of tyhe spear we would have hit double figures.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #22945: Dec 23, 2014 12:55:27 pm

The ship is turning however there are too many ****s who think the way to make progress is to set fire to the sails.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22946: Dec 23, 2014 12:56:19 pm
      mixed in with the obvious and understandable disappointment that we aren't going to match last seasons best league effort for over 20 years

Overall I thought that was a good post, but are we ignoring the fact that Rafa got 86 points (>84)
      or are we equating the more attacking nature of the football to a better league performance.

I do think this does boil down to losing the league's two top goal scorers and making an absolute mess of replacing them, but then I'm not convinced that's entirely Brendan's fault.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #22947: Dec 23, 2014 01:03:03 pm
      Overall I thought that was a good post, but are we ignoring the fact that Rafa got 86 points (>84)
      or are we equating the more attacking nature of the football to a better league performance.

I do think this does boil down to losing the league's two top goal scorers and making an absolute mess of replacing them, but then I'm not convinced that's entirely Brendan's fault.

I'm not really a student of the number of points won thing mate. I don't really care how many points it takes to win it (or get 4th this year for example), to win it you just need more than everyone else. Last season, with three games to go we were the most likely title winners, only defeat against Chelsea saw us come up short. In Rafa's fifth season we were the chasers up the run in, hoping for a Man U slip up which never came. To my mind we were much closer to winning it last season, hence "best effort". 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22948: Dec 23, 2014 01:06:06 pm
      I'm not really a student of the number of points won thing mate. I don't really care how many points it takes to win it (or get 4th this year for example), to win it you just need more than everyone else. Last season, with three games to go we were the most likely title winners, only defeat against Chelsea saw us come up short. In Rafa's fifth season we were the chasers up the run in, hoping for a Man U slip up which never came. To my mind we were much closer to winning it last season, hence "best effort". 

Ultimately though, we failed on both accounts.
      One we didn't defend well enough, and one we were too cautious early on.
      Ultimately I enjoyed both seasons, but I wouldn't go as far as to say Brendan's was the better effort,
      in fact for me it was the more gut-wrenching season as I felt we had it and let it go.

In both cases we lost key players and had a nightmare in the following season.
      Hopefully we don't make the mistake of throwing the baby out with the bathwater this time.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #22949: Dec 23, 2014 01:07:25 pm
      Ultimately I enjoyed both seasons, but I wouldn't go as far as to say Brendan's was the better effort,
      in fact for me it was the more gut-wrenching season as I felt we had it and let it go.

Fair enough mate, all opinions and all that.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22950: Dec 23, 2014 01:08:01 pm
      Fair enough mate, all opinions and all that.

Ultimately, that's all it is.

Edited the previous post.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22951: Dec 23, 2014 01:17:16 pm
      I don't want to get too involved in the argument,
      because it's coming up to Christmas and I'd rather not get caught up in some of the negativity,
      but I'll say this.

I think Brendan needs a trophy this season,
      much like Rafa needed one early on to save his.

We could very well miss out on the top 4, and to be honest we will need a massive turn around in results to get it.
      If that scenario were to unfold I think that, unlike Dalglish, one or two trophies could save Brendan's season.

That means that Brendan is either going to have to figure out how to outwit Mourinho or have a proper run at the Europa League.

I really do hope he gets a trophy this season, primarily so that the forum doesn't go into a meltdown, or if it does that I can log out and have some genuine hope that we can recover.

We don't have to look too far to see how similar transfer/player strategies can collapse at an alarming rate.
      Dortmund are showing how, when you continue to sell your best players, it can all fall apart in an instant.

If Brendan is going to have any chance to recover then he needs to either sign players for the now or hang on to the players that he has for more than brief cycles. Otherwise we will continue break down the spine of the team and attempt to rebuild, and no manager will do that successfully without significant backing.

For anyone unsure as to the type of investment I mean.
      Sometimes buying the right player means paying what the market dictates.
      If we continue to balk at the asking prices of Elite players then we continue in cycles.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #22952: Dec 23, 2014 01:57:31 pm

In both cases we lost key players and had a nightmare in the following season.
      Hopefully we don't make the mistake of throwing the baby out with the bathwater this time.

We missed out to United that season despite having a goal difference of +50 (they had +44).

We also made it through to the quarter finals of the Champion's league and lost out to Chelsea (remember that 4-4?)

If Stevie and Torres could have played together a few matches more or we didn't have the european commitment to worry about we would have walked that season as champions.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #22953: Dec 23, 2014 04:50:52 pm
      If Stevie and Torres could have played together a few matches more or we didn't have the european commitment to worry about we would have walked that season as champions.

Similarly, if Carra had given us one more season last year, defence wouldn't have been as shambolic as it was and we would have walked last seaon as well mate ;)

We could have had two titles in 6 years. So agonising.

Quick Reply