Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3047821 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #24012: Jan 29, 2015 04:37:27 pm
      :lmao:
      Oh, you were being serious, sorry.

See I find it even weirder that fans still haven't come to f**king terms with the fact that we had the financial clout [£300m + in three seasons] of what is laughingly and erroneously called "sugar daddy chairmen" but FSG dictated that it was spent on cheap, easy paid "potential" rather than top quality players [like City & Chelsea].  :o

Either way - back on topic - Brendan Rodgers ain't the problem.  ;)

£300 million is a lot of money I agree, but teams who spend that usually are adding to a title challenging squad no - I.e. In that there's already a good foundation to build upon there?

Not me playing devils advocate here BBB honest and it's not a furious rant, but honestly as I have no idea, how rich are FSG and is it realistic for them to compete. The low wage strategy suggests they don't have the capabilities for me.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24013: Jan 29, 2015 04:42:48 pm
      Lambert was not 35 million lead striker, he was brought in for various roles and situations off the bench and nothing more.

Carroll was a 35 million price-tag expected to lead the line and be a #1 striker at the club.

Surely you know this already and are having a laugh right?

So just because one was obscenely priced it makes the other a better player to have? They're basically identical players. Price has nothing to do with it, it's the fact that he said Caroll doesn't have the pace or movement. So no, I'm not having a laugh!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #24014: Jan 29, 2015 04:59:59 pm
      So just because one was obscenely priced it makes the other a better player to have? They're basically identical players. Price has nothing to do with it, it's the fact that he said Caroll doesn't have the pace or movement. So no, I'm not having a laugh!

Yes it does.

Lambert was brought in as a plan "C", for situations that demand his skill set, his transfer fee and wages reflect that of a non-starting bench striker.

Carroll was brought in to be the #1 striker at LFC and to lead the line, players were purchased to service him and everything was built to go through him and that is not the way Brendan sets his team up.

So I don't see why you think it is funny we brought in someone like Lambert when the whole idea of bringing him in was to be a #3 or #4 striker

he sold Carroll because of a lack of movement to then go and sign Lambert is ludicrous!

Once again they were here for different reasons, we were never going to pay AC 70-80k/week to be #3/#4 striker so of course he sold him.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #24015: Jan 29, 2015 05:00:47 pm
      Comparing Lambert to Carroll is ridiculous.

That is all.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #24016: Jan 29, 2015 05:04:19 pm
      Lambert was not 35 million lead striker, he was brought in for various roles and situations off the bench and nothing more.

Carroll was a 35 million price-tag expected to lead the line and be a #1 striker at the club.

Surely you know this already and are having a laugh right?

I'm sure our £23 million man Suarez was bought in to lead the line & be our number 1 striker, Carroll was bought in to compensate the loss of Torres, bit like Ballotelli replacing Suarez?.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #24017: Jan 29, 2015 05:10:52 pm
      I'm sure our £23 million man Suarez was bought in to lead the line & be our number 1 striker, Carroll was bought in to compensate the loss of Torres, bit like Ballotelli replacing Suarez?.

As FL said, using what BR said in regards to Carroll and comparing that to Lambert is ridiculous.

And my impression of Suarez/Carroll at the time when they first got here was both  of them leading the line up front in a 4-4-2; but maybe I am wrong.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24018: Jan 29, 2015 05:22:13 pm
      £300 million is a lot of money I agree, but teams who spend that usually are adding to a title challenging squad no - I.e. In that there's already a good foundation to build upon there?
      Nah mate... teams who spend that sort of money [* less even] should be expecting to challenge for and win titles. Not to amass a squad with the objective to finish top four or play 'better football than the 2011/12 squad'.

* As Brendan said himself: "Look at Tottenham. If you spend more than £100 million, you expect to be challenging for the league."

Folk might disagree but I believe Brendan would be disappointed if that [a top 4 finish] is as much as we can muster.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #24019: Jan 29, 2015 05:29:50 pm
      Reina
      Kuyt
      Maxi Rodriguez
      Jon Glenson
      Agger
      Aquilani
      Aurelio ( i assume was up there in wages as he was a free)
      Bellamy

In my opinion almost all of those were performing well at that time with only Aquilani and maybe Aurelio due to injuries. Also I'm not sure if many of those players would have been on over £100K a week anyway.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #24020: Jan 29, 2015 05:31:07 pm
      In my opinion almost all of those were performing well at that time with only Aquilani and maybe Aurelio due to injuries. Also I'm not sure if many of those players would have been on over £100K a week anyway.

That squad was a regular in the champions league till Rafa got sacked, so the wages were justified.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #24021: Jan 29, 2015 05:32:25 pm
      That squad was a regular in the champions league till Rafa got sacked, so the wages were justified.

I agree mate but like I said of be amazed if any of them, except for possibly Pepe and Johnson, would have been on over £100K a week and even then I'm not sure those two would hev been either.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #24022: Jan 29, 2015 07:33:52 pm

If they are serious about football - give Brendan the tools; start building on what we have "now". They could have built on a team, decimated by injury but sitting 2 points off 4th, in January 2012 [by buying "ready-made" quality] but didn't; could have built on a team, flying high in the league last January [buy buying "ready-made" quality] but didn't and they could have built on a team which finished 2nd last season [by buying "ready-made" quality] but didn't.

Instead Brendan had to make do with the "long-term"  :lmao: strategy of buying young players "with potential" [i.e. buy low/sell high] because... wait for it.... top quality players wanted to play in London  :lmao:

Let loose with, "ready-made", top quality players - Brendan would deliver... of that I have no doubt. * By "deliver" I mean win NOT compete for a top four finish (which, although is the height of ambition for many, it seems - ISN'T good enough for Liverpool F.C. in my opinion, of course.)  ;)     

Cracking post bud and for me you have hit the issue right on the head as far as FSGs approach goes with this section.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,564 posts | 729 
      Reply #24023: Jan 29, 2015 07:34:12 pm
      im not sure where i said the wages weren't justified, they were AT THE TIME obviously. I also said i dont think rafa should have left but AFTER HE LEFT

Simple facts, We finished 7th, 6th, 8th, 7th since 2010 (barring last season) THESE PLAYERS WERE UNDER PERFORMING and were not qualifying for the champions league on a regular basis. They literally had no choice but to lower the wage bill. Its not sustainable unless you have someone willing to bankroll and also put in money to buy new players. And not to mention bring out stadium up to scratch.

Where are these chairmen willing to do that? Sounds like fantasy land to me
      « Last Edit: Jan 29, 2015 07:46:39 pm by PastorGeek »
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #24024: Jan 29, 2015 07:39:14 pm

Suarez was bought to partner Torres, Carroll was bought to replace Torres.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #24025: Jan 29, 2015 08:12:56 pm
      Suarez was bought to partner Torres, Carroll was bought to replace Torres.
      The only thing that matters to me is we failed to get the best out of Carroll.

I don't think he was worth £35m but he was/ is worth more to than the £15m we got for him.

I don't buy all this mobility sh*t, the lad has a touch of class about him.

We had an England centre forward and we let him go for less than he was worth. I am as sure as hell he is better than two of the three centre forwards we have now

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #24026: Jan 29, 2015 09:03:07 pm

I don't think he was worth £35m but he was/ is worth more to than the £15m we got for him.

We had an England centre forward and we let him go for less than he was worth. I am as sure as hell he is better than two of the three centre forwards we have now

How much more than £15.5m (rising to £17.5m) is Carroll worth in your opinion? Surely no more than £20m.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #24027: Jan 29, 2015 10:57:35 pm
      I wonder if the journos have to wear neck braces when interviewing Brendan these days because surely the amount of double-turns and contradictions must cause them some whiplash  :f_tongueincheek: I've just read a few excerpts from Brendan's interview on the Beeb's Sportspage regarding January signings and the Ming. The bloke is in dire need of media training.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24028: Jan 29, 2015 11:06:56 pm
      Just wondering, what does the Carroll signing, along with Suarez' arrival have to do with Rodgers?
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Reply #24029: Jan 29, 2015 11:12:48 pm
      Reina
      Kuyt
      Maxi Rodriguez
      Jon Glenson
      Agger
      Aquilani
      Aurelio ( i assume was up there in wages as he was a free)
      Bellamy

Who the hell is Jon Glenson? Some sort of defensive astronaut?

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24030: Jan 29, 2015 11:16:48 pm

Maybe we should sign him, can't do any worse than Glen Johnson surely.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #24031: Jan 29, 2015 11:38:20 pm

I don't think it would have mattered mate class or not, simply because he didn't fit in with the system Brendan wanted to instill.

Carroll is all about route one football, that's how you get the best out of him. And TBH considering the way he was playing along with his injuries at the time, I thought we were lucky to get back the £17m that we did for him.

:lmao: No mate, it's supposed to be Glens alter-ego:

"A Team Of John Glensons" | Liverpool 0-1 Villa | LFC Fan Reactions
      « Last Edit: Jan 30, 2015 05:45:08 am by Scally21 »
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #24032: Jan 30, 2015 09:34:32 am
      he's after more bargin buys this time its Ings, to be fair he would be a better option than our current striker subs, and i think Borini,lambert will be sold meaning our strike force next season would be ings,orgi,sturridge ballotelli. that's 2 young and two expericanced. I hope Brendan is looking at more strikers to bring in if Ballotelli dont pull his socks up as we cant have them 4 as our strike force and compete for the title
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #24033: Jan 30, 2015 10:20:01 am
      How much more than £15.5m (rising to £17.5m) is Carroll worth in your opinion? Surely no more than £20m.
      I tend to look at the value to the team

What value would you of put on a goal Tuesday night, what value can you place on good defending, especially from dead ball situations.

We would of been better keeping Carroll and getting him to play within BR system and using his strengths when the opportunitys come along.

@scally21, if players have to fit perfectly into the system why did we buy Balotelli and Lambert ? 

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #24034: Jan 30, 2015 10:28:52 am
      Let's focus on the league for now, 21 points out of 30 since the humiliation at Palace.

Average of 1.42 points per game.  Considering we've had a very injury prone half that's OK, but still not good enough.

If you look at our main goal this season, then the top 4 looks very do-able but with little room for error.

Here's a list of the last 6 seasons 4th place finishers....

2013/14 - 72
      2012/13 - 73
      2011/12 - 69
      2010/11 - 68
      2009/10 - 70
      2008/09 - 72

That's an average of 70 (well, 70.6 = 1.85 per game) points needed finish in the top 4.

So the simple maths is;

35 points on the board already
      16 games left
      48 points to play for

35 out of 48 points needed to provide a decent contention for 4th place.

Quick Reply