Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3049040 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #25185: Mar 06, 2015 02:38:00 pm
      No.

Back to Rodgers, credit due to him for flipping us around and having us challenging once more in the league.

Does anyone else share the opinion that Rodgers can have us only challenging without European distractions?.

I'm not so sure Shabs, although disappointing to exit CL earlier than we hoped at the time we were not firing on all cylinders, for reasons already stated, in a word we were still trying to find our feet,

As for exiting the EL I think match congestion along with injuries certainly didn't help our cause, IMO we lost against Besiktas in the home leg by not scoring enough goals, scoring just one more would have seen us through avoiding ET and of course that shoot out,

Looking ahead all that happened will stand us in good stead and is part of the learning process not only for our young squad but for Brendan too,

Live & learn and all that ?

YNWA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #25186: Mar 06, 2015 02:42:47 pm
      I can assume whatever I like. That's the beauty of a functioning brain. ;)

Wasn't necessarily laying it at Shabs' footsteps, it's something I've seen banded about by others as well. I stand by my assertion, I think to lay the blame on European involvement is just a simple way of looking at a complex issue.

With your functioning brain and as it is a complex maybe you can simplify it for us simpletons   ;)
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #25187: Mar 06, 2015 02:45:36 pm
      The question is both fair and reasonable and is something that I have thought about as well.

I think if we hadn't had so many new players coming in, then we would probably have done better in the CL.

As things stand, BR still has some learning to do but given what he's shown already, I think he can do it.

Completely agree mate. I have immense belief in him as a manager. He needs time and he will win things with us. It's a legitimate point about his lack of  understanding of CL but he has shown he can learn from his mistakes and adapt. I actually think even if our season fell apart, or we finish strongly and have a bad season next year, we should keep him for the long term because once he starts winning things, it will become a habit for him given his intelligence and hunger for trophies.

I say this because you need faith in good young managers who haven't won anything. Rata had disastrous campaigns at Osasuna and Valladolid, getting sacked from both when he was starting out. By the time he came, he'd won the title twice with Valencia and the UEFA cup, and we saw the fruits of that experience. BR can and will things, I have belief in the man.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #25188: Mar 06, 2015 02:48:32 pm

I say this because you need faith in good young managers who haven't won anything. Rata had disastrous campaigns at Osasuna and Valladolid, getting sacked from both when he was starting out. By the time he came, he'd won the title twice with Valencia and the UEFA cup, and we saw the fruits of that experience. BR can and will things, I have belief in the man.

You might not like him but thats a bit harsh  ;D

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #25189: Mar 06, 2015 02:55:19 pm
      You might not like him but thats a bit harsh  ;D

Haha an honest spelling mistake mate, I have huge love for Rafa, one of the classiest mangers we've ever had. Such a shame he didn't add the title to his haul with us. Who knows, he's still young ;)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #25190: Mar 06, 2015 03:14:36 pm
      I think to lay the blame on European involvement is just a simple way of looking at a complex issue
      As long as the "issue" isn't defensive: unless you believe Brendan was wrong of course...

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #25191: Mar 06, 2015 03:28:35 pm
      As long as the "issue" isn't defensive: unless you believe Brendan was wrong of course...

Our issues weren't just defensive though were they (earlier in the season). We couldn't find goals reliably. 

Now I'll admit, I don't have any stats to back it up but it sure seems like if you take the first part of the season vs. the later stages we are in we are much more free scoring.

Maybe I'm wrong though, it has happened before...just once I think.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #25192: Mar 06, 2015 03:29:27 pm
      With your functioning brain and as it is a complex maybe you can simplify it for us simpletons   ;)

I already did in my original post to Shabs...guess you missed it.

The players have started to respond, the system change played a part and we've steadily improved as the players have gotten healthy. I don like think Europe has anything to do with it.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #25193: Mar 06, 2015 04:57:28 pm
      Our issues weren't just defensive though were they (earlier in the season). We couldn't find goals reliably.
      Oh... I see... It was the 'other' issues; the non-defensive issues, which we're complex - gotcha now.

Personally, I see our up turn in form and Brendan having the time (he said he needed) to sort out our defensive set up, as much more than coincidence. It's all about opinion, I suppose but, either way... I'm glad it's working.

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2015 05:21:55 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #25194: Mar 06, 2015 05:37:58 pm
      No.

Back to Rodgers, credit due to him for flipping us around and having us challenging once more in the league.

Does anyone else share the opinion that Rodgers can have us only challenging without European distractions?.

Only challenging without Europe? I think with a full quota of players and integrated players available to him from the start then we'd be competing the CL knockout rounds right now. But to say there ain't inexperience on the European front for Brendan would be foolish and with greater experience he could have perhaps navigated through to the CL rounds or even got past Beskitas last week. It's not a criticism of him, it's just a reality. If Brendan ever conquered Europe then it'd be through technique rather than tactic that Rafa did. I can only see Brendan settling for the conquer of Europe on the basis that we are also the best team outright with an idealised style of football that is the envy of the rest of Europe.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #25195: Mar 06, 2015 05:40:41 pm
      Oh... I see... It was the 'other' issues; the non-defensive issues, which we're complex - gotcha now.

Personally, I see our up turn in form and Brendan having the time (he said he needed) to sort out our defensive set up, as much more than coincidence. It's all about opinion, I suppose but, either way... I'm glad it's working.

My god if anyone thinks it was a coincidence, they know less about football than scum fans. Change of formation, moving Can into defence, Sterling up front, introducing Lucas and dropping off-form players are management decisions... not coincidence.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #25196: Mar 06, 2015 05:59:27 pm
      The Europe/fixture congestion issue has two sides to it.

One, clearly Brendan needs more time with the players to get them playing at their peak or at least to how he wants them to go out. He hasn't been able to get his point across in shorter turnarounds.

The other side of it is the players aren't good enough if they need THAT much coaching. I'd add in too that our medical staff looked they get blind sided by having extra matches as the team looked so jaded during CL play.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #25197: Mar 06, 2015 06:46:58 pm
      So, Shabs: in answer to your question...

I don't share that opinion mate.

Whilst I believe, (given the 'evidence' [Brendan's statement and our form pre & post Champions League]), that this season, Europe had a part to play: I also believe that a particular set of circumstances have to be considered.

We had an influx of 'squad players. Players who (as it transpired) Brendan needed time with. Time to practice new drills; particularly in defence. Time, as he pointed out, which wasn't available due to Champions League commitments.

The thing is: those players are now well up to speed. They won't be needing the same time next season.

To that end; I firmly believe that, next season, Europe will not be a "distraction" and therefore (with only a few quality additions)... we will be not only challenging but winning.  :angel:

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #25198: Mar 06, 2015 06:58:15 pm

Whilst I believe, (given the 'evidence' [Brendan's statement and our form pre & post Champions League]), that this season, Europe had a part to play: I also believe that a particular set of circumstances have to be considered.

We had an influx of 'squad players. Players who (as it transpired) Brendan needed time with. Time to practice new drills; particularly in defence. Time, as he pointed out, which wasn't available due to Champions League commitments.

The thing is: those players are now well up to speed. They won't be needing the same time next season.

To that end; I firmly believe that, next season, Europe will not be a "distraction" and therefore (with only a few quality additions)... we will be not only challenging but winning.  :angel:

Good post, BBB usually sorts things out in quick order that the rest of us fumble around for awhile. :)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #25199: Mar 06, 2015 07:14:16 pm

No pressure next season then? ;D

I genuinely hope Rodgers has us not only challenging in the league & Europe next season but winning silverware too.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #25200: Mar 06, 2015 08:09:31 pm
      He was two games from losing his job I reckon and the turn around is remarkable. Still if he finishes 5th with no trophy the season will feel like a disappointment particularly given how turgid man u if they are the ones to pip us. We are looking great though
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #25201: Mar 06, 2015 08:37:40 pm
      He was two games from losing his job I reckon and the turn around is remarkable. Still if he finishes 5th with no trophy the season will feel like a disappointment particularly given how turgid man u if they are the ones to pip us. We are looking great though

He wasn't 2 games from losing his job m8. He's the owners man they would have given him till end of season

As Jamie Carragher points out I think the way BR has found a way of using the tools at his disposal has been remarkable
      Moreno was bought as a LB. Early doors it was clear he was too naive defensively. Making him a wing back reduces the risk defensively
      Can bought as a defensive mid - used to shore up a leaky defense.
      The list goes on. If we win FA cup and get 3rd or 4th this season will be the launchpad for us winning everything in next few years
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #25202: Mar 06, 2015 09:44:55 pm
      Completely agree mate. I have immense belief in him as a manager. He needs time and he will win things with us. It's a legitimate point about his lack of  understanding of CL but he has shown he can learn from his mistakes and adapt. I actually think even if our season fell apart, or we finish strongly and have a bad season next year, we should keep him for the long term because once he starts winning things, it will become a habit for him given his intelligence and hunger for trophies.

I'd even be happy to say he's young and never had to juggle European football before with domestic football.

As for winning a cup and suddenly coming round to supporting him more, nah.....  not for me, I'm not that superficial.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25203: Mar 06, 2015 10:04:41 pm
      I'd even be happy to say he's young and never had to juggle European football before with domestic football.

As for winning a cup and suddenly coming round to supporting him more, nah.....  not for me, I'm not that superficial.

I don't get it, winning a trophy won't convince you to support him more? What would it take then?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #25204: Mar 06, 2015 10:06:50 pm
      I don't get it, winning a trophy won't convince you to support him more? What would it take then?

I already support him.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1668 
      • YNWA
      Reply #25205: Mar 07, 2015 09:09:21 pm
      Man City interested?
      http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31779431

Might be rubbish, but wouldn't be surprised. He's done great.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #25206: Mar 07, 2015 09:59:48 pm
      Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insists leaving for another English club is not a possibility and he aims to be at Anfield for the long term.

Rodgers' current Liverpool contract expires in 2018 - and the Northern Irishman has been linked, by the national press, with Manchester City if Manuel Pellegrini was to leave the Premier League champions.

But Rodgers said: "I've signed a deal here, and I want to be here to see that through.

"Then I hope I'll have earned enough time to warrant another deal, to keep growing and building here.

"Where do you go from Liverpool, who are one of the biggest clubs in the world?

"I chose to come to Liverpool because I hoped I could be here for many years."

Rodgers says he is excited about seeing his strategy help Liverpool to develop over the coming years.   

"I find I am developing into the very best I can be and we are working into an exciting phase after this season," he said.

"If we get young players tied to contracts, I hope that will allow us to win trophies with this way of working."

Liverpool could book an FA Cup semi-final appearance at Wembley if they beat Blackburn in the FA Cup quarter-finals on Sunday and Rodgers acknowledges that he must win trophies in order to remain in the Anfield hot-seat for years to come.

"I really wanted to be here, follow some incredible managers with a support that is unrivalled, and to have success while knowing I was young enough to create and build something," he added.

"That is why I came here. I know I need to justify that by working well and winning trophies. I hope that is the next step.

"When you come here, that is what you are judged on. It is something (win trophies) I want to do for all the supporters and people here." 

He knows winning trophies are important to LFC 'fans', maybe he didn't realise they expected them in his first season.  8)

Thank f**k he wants to stay, is all I can say.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #25207: Mar 07, 2015 10:02:10 pm
      Man City interested?
      http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31779431

Might be rubbish, but wouldn't be surprised. He's done great.

Hahaha the manc press are a very good indication of our improvement and ability to tread the bag of sh*te mancs underfoot, their arses have gone and they realise their only answer is bullshit.
      Citeh might or might not be looking for a new manager, the has beens that united are are now in danger of disappearing without trace, they and their cohorts in the press attempt to undermine the manager and destabilise the club.
      Hahaha F**k them.

Quick Reply