Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3048223 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #27462: Apr 26, 2015 12:37:57 am
      It's the top 5 now , no longer the top 4 hail Rodgers . Talk about dampening expectations down eh .
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #27463: Apr 26, 2015 12:42:25 am
      Yeah buddy "f**k these tards"...  >:D

We seem to be at crossed purposes here but I can assure you I'm not ridiculing anyone for liking the idea of Klopp as boss (far from it, I have no issue with the man) - just those can not understand that FSG dictate transfer policy and can not bring themselves to accept that, until FSG change that policy, Brendan Rodgers, Jürgen Klopp or anyone else, will be operating under restrictions. And that, by default, can not be what's best for the football team.

As for Klopp at Dortmund - again, no issue.

He too was working under restrictions - the fact that Dortmund 'couldn't', rather than 'wouldn't'  doesn't change that. The outcome, for him, was the same as if they "wouldn't". That is what I was trying to say (rather cack-handedly, it seems).

Just to be clear (as it seems to have been lost in translation) - no issue with Klopp, no issue with anyone wishing for him... Issue with a transfer policy/business model which restricts the manager (whoever that may be) in doing his best.  :)

Why doesn't anyone else see this?

The rot starts from the top. It's shown to be an extremely flawed policy - yes, there are many young potential players, but there is a hell of a lot wasted on young players who are obviously duff.

Now on to Rodgers - I think some of his preference signings such as Lallana and Lovren have been heavily overpriced and not worth the value.

He must do better in prioritising signings BUT think for one moment  - his top priorities are clearly within the limit of the maximum wage offered to a player. The large transfer fees are probably offset by relatively smaller wages in comparison to other top earners. If he was given free reign, perhaps he would be aiming for one top player and have the ability to flex the wage budget on that one player more readily.

Because as far as most of us are concerned, one top player on a top wage would be more beneficial to the team than a few dud players merely filling in the squad numbers. But FSG seem more intent on filling up the numbers with mediocrity and playing a game of 'speculation' by which they think they can sell them off at a profit, completely inconsiderate to the benefit of the team. But much of these jokers aren't even going to reap a profit on the price we paid for them. It is an utter shambles.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #27464: Apr 26, 2015 12:46:34 am
      You know who I think needs a break more than anyone right now? The Gaffer

Seriously, let's give the guy some breathing space because from where I'm standing, he's trying absolutely everything he can do bag us 3 points.

Of course he's not going to say 'the players were crap and need shooting'. He's going to say they were outstanding because that's what the players and agents demand. The manager at any football club does not have the same sort of power that Paisley/Shanks had. Times change and it's a much finer line to tread nowadays. Bad mouth a player today, and he's causing sh*te in the dressing room and upsetting everyone and batting eyelashes at Moneybags Utd tomorrow. They have a lot more power these days. We may not like it but that's how it is now. More or less. Also, a manager has to be seen to be backing his 'signings' regardless.

Breathing space and time and the Gaffer will have us purring again. The alternative is to sack him, rip up the plans, hire another Gaffer, and start all over again.

I said I'm undecided about the Gaffer ultimately, but end of the day, I think he deserves one more season, or year's end at least to turn things around.

Our away support today was F***ing brilliant and it cut through all the crap that's been hovering over us lately. That's what we need now; solidarity.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #27465: Apr 26, 2015 12:46:40 am
      BBC Headline - "Rodgers we were outstanding" - and we took the piss out of Moyes last season!

Wish the club would ban him from talking in public, the guy is delusional.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #27466: Apr 26, 2015 12:50:00 am
      Why doesn't anyone else see this?

The rot starts from the top. It's shown to be an extremely flawed policy - yes, there are many young potential players, but there is a hell of a lot wasted on young players who are obviously duff.

Now on to Rodgers - I think some of his preference signings such as Lallana and Lovren have been heavily overpriced and not worth the value.

He must do better in prioritising signings BUT think for one moment  - his top priorities are clearly within the limit of the maximum wage offered to a player. The large transfer fees are probably offset by relatively smaller wages in comparison to other top earners. If he was given free reign, perhaps he would be aiming for one top player and have the ability to flex the wage budget on that one player more readily.

Because as far as most of us are concerned, one top player on a top wage would be more beneficial to the team than a few dud players merely filling in the squad numbers. But FSG seem more intent on filling up the numbers with mediocrity and playing a game of 'speculation' by which they think they can sell them off at a profit, completely inconsiderate to the benefit of the team. But much of these jokers aren't even going to reap a profit on the price we paid for them. It is an utter shambles.

Amongst other issues I have with Rodgers is that is almost £45M wasted on players not needed.
      If he had not realised what brought him so close last season (goals) then he probably
      does not even see other issues like his defensive record.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #27467: Apr 26, 2015 12:50:13 am
      Thought we played well and dominated WBA.

Final ball was missing in the final third. Not surprising when you lose 51 goals a season
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #27468: Apr 26, 2015 12:53:54 am
      For all those saying give him another season, what if he fails again the likes of Klopp are not going to be on the market every year.

This may be a once in a decade chance.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #27469: Apr 26, 2015 12:54:39 am

Seriously, let's give the guy some breathing space because from where I'm standing, he's trying absolutely everything he can do bag us 3 points.

Of course he's not going to say 'the players were crap and need shooting'. He's going to say they were outstanding because that's what the players and agents demand. The manager at any football club does not have the same sort of power that Paisley/Shanks had. Times change and it's a much finer line to tread nowadays. Bad mouth a player today, and he's causing sh*te in the dressing room and upsetting everyone and batting eyelashes at Moneybags Utd. I don't like it but that's how it is these days. More or less. Also, a manager has to be seen to be backing his 'signings' regardless.

Breathing space and time and the Gaffer will have us purring again. The alternative is to sack him, rip up the plans, hire another Gaffer, and start all over again.

I said I'm undecided about the Gaffer ultimately, but end of the day, I think he deserves one more season, or year's end at least to turn things around.

Our away support today was F***ing brilliant and it cut through all the crap that's been hovering over us lately. That's what we need now; solidarity.

He does need a break but not from people questioning him, just a break in general. It wouldn't surprise me if he had alienated certain members of the squad by playing people in their positions.

Why does he have to say we were outstanding? He could say, "we dominated in possession but weren't good enough to take any small chance that came our way." That to me sounds more reasonable than making us sound like Barca.

I'd love for him to stay but the recruitment this summer is going to be absolute key. I don't see the owners being willing to spend anywhere near the amount we will need to.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #27470: Apr 26, 2015 12:56:27 am

I actually think the media has been lenient towards him. The British press supports their own and he hasn't had as much sh*t as Pellegrini, AVB, Wenger etc has over the years. His song was sang today, so I'm sure he knows there's a lot of support for him, maybe he's not feeling as much pressure as he should because of this?

I'm sure he get's a lot of positive vibes around Anfield, on the streets of Liverpool and through his staff. It's only us keyboard warriors venting our frustration which I highly doubt he reads :)
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #27471: Apr 26, 2015 12:56:41 am
      And another thing, consideration has to be given to the fact that Rodgers doesn't voice discontent with senior management in public merely because he has his job to protect.

Benitez spoke out against the owners because he had legitimacy winning the Champions League, FA Cup and two La Liga titles. He knows his qualities brought that success and that he was an authoritative voice. Do we really think Klopp would keep quiet if he was disillusioned with FSG's transfer policy? Certainly not - he's a loose cannon with two Bundesliga titles so FSG won't even bother looking.

Brendan on the other hand doesn't have any silverware obviously but has shown his qualities in other ways. Should he speak out? Well it would be unwise for him on a personal level to do so and I completely understand why he won't.

He's a young manager who has been given an amazing opportunity at a big club - he has to make this one stick because it may be his only chance at a top club. He knows - and many of us share this belief - that he has the qualities for a big club but football is a cruel sport where you get very few chances. Klopp, Benitez.... they have the CV to go into another top job. Rodgers doesn't have that security yet, and if he believes in his abilities - which he defintely does - he would rather keep quiet and prove everyone wrong in the meantime. You have to respect the precious situtation he is in.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #27472: Apr 26, 2015 12:57:04 am
      BBC Headline - "Rodgers we were outstanding" - and we took the piss out of Moyes last season!

So outstanding i never want to see it again. I'd rather pluck my eyes out.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #27473: Apr 26, 2015 12:58:12 am
      I actually think the media has been lenient towards him. The British press supports their own and he hasn't had as much sh*t as Pellegrini, AVB, Wenger etc has over the years. His song was sang today, so I'm sure he knows there's a lot of support for him, maybe he's not feeling as much pressure as he should because of this?

I'm sure he get's a lot of positive vibes around Anfield, on the streets of Liverpool and through his staff. It's only us keyboard warriors venting our frustration which I highly doubt he reads :)

That can change very quickly.

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #27474: Apr 26, 2015 01:00:05 am
      Amongst other issues I have with Rodgers is that is almost £45M wasted on players not needed.
      If he had not realised what brought him so close last season (goals) then he probably
      does not even see other issues like his defensive record.

Most likely the wage restrictions limit the top top quality Brendan wants (Sanchez - and FSG fu**ed him over by not paying the going rate for him) - so he has no option but to go for a larger squad, which hasn't been beneficial.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #27475: Apr 26, 2015 01:05:16 am
      Most likely the wage restrictions limit the top top quality Brendan wants (Sanchez - and FSG fu**ed him over by not paying the going rate for him) - so he has no option but to go for a larger squad, which hasn't been beneficial.

'Geography = wages' does it now?

We paid the fee, we paid the wages, and he said "Thanks but no thanks, I'm off to London instead". Brendan said it himself that geography was the reason he didn't sign for us.

I'm sick to death of crap posts like this spouting nothing but lies just to fit some sort of agenda. How can Brendan be fu**ed over when we did everything to sign him and he said no?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #27476: Apr 26, 2015 01:08:36 am

I doubt Sanchez was even Rodgers target he doesn't seem to have any experience for a player out of the British Isles.

Even still despite that transfers fall through but according to all report Rodgers got all his primary targets , showing a top quality striker was not on the list unless you count Lambert!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6728 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #27477: Apr 26, 2015 01:17:04 am

You are taking the piss right? Please tell me he didn't really say we were Outstanding?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #27478: Apr 26, 2015 01:18:49 am
      You are taking the piss right? Please tell me he didn't really say we were Outstanding?

Don't click on this unless you're masochistic.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32468638

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6728 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #27479: Apr 26, 2015 01:22:58 am

I dint click on it mate, already pissed of enough.

Just can't believe he would use that word, looks like I have to get on a flight to Liverpool as in the match thread i said at the final whistle, if he call us outstanding in his presser, I'm gonna knock his shiny white teeth out!  :P

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #27480: Apr 26, 2015 01:24:34 am

I doubt Sanchez was even Rodgers target he doesn't seem to have any experience for a player out of the British Isles.

Even still despite that transfers fall through but according to all report Rodgers got all his primary targets , showing a top quality striker was not on the list unless you count Lambert!

Come off it, it was well known that was his transfer target.

You really think Fallows and Edwards - FSG's lapdogs - would have sounded him out? They'd have probably argued in favour of some up and coming talent from Stockport simply in order to appease the transfer policy.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #27481: Apr 26, 2015 01:24:46 am
      The only thing that was out, standing during that game were some of our players.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #27482: Apr 26, 2015 01:27:07 am

Ok, so with this being the case, I have to ask, Is it really FSG's fault that Rodgers has been poor tactical for the majority of the season, and are we really that sh*t because of the restrictions?

Yes, I'm sure there's a restriction (no Cavani, Falcao, Isco, Ronaldo, Messi, Kroos etc), but we had 117m in which it could've bought us 4-5 first team players that would've improved us. It was more Onfield performances(tactics) and poor decisions in the summer by Rodgers & committee that has cost us, not FSG.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #27483: Apr 26, 2015 01:43:15 am
      Ok, so with this being the case, I have to ask, Is it really FSG's fault that Rodgers has been poor tactical for the majority of the season, and are we really that sh*t because of the restrictions?

Yes, I'm sure there's a restriction (no Cavani, Falcao, Isco, Ronaldo, Messi, Kroos etc), but we had 117m in which it could've bought us 4-5 first team players that would've improved us. It was more Onfield performances(tactics) and poor decisions in the summer by Rodgers & committee that has cost us, not FSG.

You're always going to look sh*t tactically with players who are not of the required level.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #27484: Apr 26, 2015 01:52:35 am
      You're always going to look sh*t tactically with players who are not of the required level.

I think we have a decent enough squad to finish 4th, but each to their own I guess.

Anyway, with your comment on our players not of required level, this then brings me back to Rodgers, committee and last summer... do you really think with the restrictions and 117m to spend, we could not have bought any better??

Quick Reply