Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3047062 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread
      Reply #38939: Sep 06, 2017 10:47:36 pm
      Maybe a bit of perspective?

Celtic playing in the SPL is the equivalent of us playing in the Eliteserien..if we played there then I would also be fuming if we did not win every match by a hat-trick.

We play in the richest most competitive league in the world...Celtic is a killer whale inside a fish farm.

Ask any of top 6 managers in the PL if they are OK with an away draw with any of the other top 6 sides ....In private you'd get one answer....."Sound that"

Exactly mate, I'd take a draw at City right now if it were offered, so would Jürgen. There's a difference between pressure and expectation, if people can't distinguish between the two that's their problem. The pressure to get at least a draw against City is far greater than the pressure for Celtic to win any single away game their going to play in the league this season.

The pressure to improve upon last year, to compete with the financial powerhouses of City/Chelsea/United this season is monumental. Being manager of Liverpool is a pressure like no other club in the world is my honest opinion, because we've been so successful; because we've tasted what it's like to be the best club in Europe and the world in our time and have slipped so far behind our rivals that pressure lies on the shoulders of whoever picks up the mantle and it's exactly why many questioned Brendan's credentials before he took the role. He's found his level now, he can be a big fish in a small pond, that suits him, but leave the bullshit pressure quotes to men who are actually in a job that demands a bit more than turning up at the right ground to get a result.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,986 posts | 238 
      Reply #38940: Sep 06, 2017 11:00:14 pm
      The pressure to get at least a draw against City is far greater than the pressure for Celtic to win any single away game their going to play in the league this season.

Luke, to be fair to Rodgers, he just said that the pressure is a different kind of pressure. He didn't really say the pressure at Celtic is bigger than the pressure at Liverpool. And, to be honest, he is probably echoing the same thoughts that you have expressed - that it is OK to get a point away from home.

Also, he did mention that his spell at Liverpool was intense and draining.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #38941: Sep 06, 2017 11:17:56 pm
      We'll see what he's made of when he is the next Arsenal/Tottenham/Man Citeh manager. I predict that and that'll he'll prove a fair few on here wrong

Luke, to be fair to Rodgers, he just said that the pressure is a different kind of pressure. He didn't really say the pressure at Celtic is bigger than the pressure at Liverpool. And, to be honest, he is probably echoing the same thoughts that you have expressed - that it is OK to get a point away from home.

Best not wasting your breath mate there will always be riders on the hate on Brendan train

Call the Scottish league what you want folks but Glasgow is the proverbial gold fish bowl, as a Celtic manager your every move and decision is scrutinised to the nth degree. Finishing second is a calamity, not getting to the Champions League proper navigating 2-3 qualifiers and then making a fist of the group stages on the budget of your average championship club a major disappointment. Don't believe me? Ask Kenny Dalglish how he got on with it on a budget comparable to EPL clubs at the time rather than championship sides as is now
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2017 11:30:15 pm by Alfie2510 »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38942: Sep 06, 2017 11:26:34 pm

Well I read that he said the pressure is greater to win every game, where what he meant to say was the expectation to win every game is greater. No doubt his defenders will say that there's little difference, the truth is there's enormous difference as I said in an earlier post.

I expect to breathe every few seconds throughout the day, I don't feel pressure to breathe every few seconds. Celtic are expected to win every game, they aren't under pressure to because the task is so simple. Pressure and difficulty have strict correlation and while Celtic are so overwhelmingly dominant in a league of their own then the 'pressure' will never even get close to what he dealt with at Liverpool and he knows it.

As you say he felt drained when he left Liverpool, rightly so, it's a tough job that only few are worthy of even turning their hand to it. People tried to tell me things would never change because the manager wasn't the problem it was solely FSG, while I agree with them about FSG being a problem, I always thought that a top quality manager had a greater role to play than was truly put under the microscope when he was here. Thankfully, Jürgen is proving what is possible, even under the stewardship of FSG, and I say that in terms of squad quality, type of player, type of football philosophy and progress. We were told that we couldn't beat the richest clubs in the league, that we simply couldn't compete, yet Jürgen has the best record I've ever witnessed against the top 6 'best' teams in the league. We were told we couldn't attract top stars under FSG, yet Jürgen has Salah, Keita both signed, VvD and Lemar both itching to join, these are players who were coveted by teams with far bigger budgets compared to us yet the draw is evident from our side now.

Truth is the Brendanistas will always make excuses for the man based on 1 thing and 1 thing alone and that position is so entrenched that they'll take comfort in the fact that he can dominate at Celtic. I want to see him get a top job, want to see what he can do against the big boys in Europe to make a proper judgement of his managerial skills because I'm still convinced that he's a decent front foot coach (suits being the best team in the league for that) yet when it comes to anything else he's not got much to back him up. His transfer record with us is abysmal, people don't like it when you say that he didn't fancy Sturridge before he signed or that Coutinho was recommended, simply because they were among the very few he really got right and I'm convinced at least one was a TC choice. Let's not forget he oversaw the likes of Suarez/Sterling/Gerrard to leave and left us with a squad so shallow in terms of quality that even after clear upgrades entered the first team Jürgen was facing both barrels from Brendan's biggest fans due to 'his' squad.

If Brendan wants to prove his detractors wrong he has to either make an impact in the CL or move to a club where he can show his worth, it's really that simple.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #38943: Sep 06, 2017 11:37:40 pm
      Let's not forget he oversaw the likes of Suarez/Sterling/Gerrard to leave and left us with a squad so shallow in terms of quality that even after clear upgrades entered the first team Jürgen was facing both barrels from Brendan's biggest fans due to 'his' squad.

If Brendan wants to prove his detractors wrong he has to either make an impact in the CL or move to a club where he can show his worth, it's really that simple.

Yeah the same squad Jürgen Klopp has saw fit to barely touch in 4 transfer windows. 6 of the 10 outfield players that started Arsenal were there under BR, 2 of the 3 subs that came on. With Cou + Lallana that would have been at least 7 out of 10.
      But of course you will decry Jürgen gets so much more out of this group, he's the bees knees, and yet their records in the PL are pretty much identical...
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2017 11:42:18 pm by Alfie2510 »
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,986 posts | 238 
      Reply #38944: Sep 06, 2017 11:44:03 pm
      I think these are his exact quotes, Luke.

“With Liverpool you can go away from home and draw and that’s OK. But Celtic, you have to win every game. It’s a different pressure.”

As you say he probably meant the expectation to win. In absolute terms the expectation to do something that you are expected to do comes with some amount of pressure attached to it. A different analogy to your breathing example would probably be shitting (not classy, but you get the point). If you don't do what is expected of you, there is pressure, but a different kind of pressure. Or, some deal that you are expected to close, but, fail to do so due to something happening at the last minute...

And, in all honesty, I don't really expect him to say that the Celtic job is easier than the Liverpool job while being the manager of Celtic. I really don't think he was disrespectful towards the Liverpool job by meaning to say that it was easier than his current job.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,820 posts | 2452 
      Reply #38945: Sep 06, 2017 11:52:02 pm

Yeah the same squad Jürgen Klopp has saw fit to barely touch in 4 transfer windows. 6 of the 10 outfield players that started Arsenal were there under BR, 2 of the 3 subs that came on. With Cou + Lallana that would have been at least 7 out of 10.
      But of course you will decry Jürgen gets so much more out of this group, he's the bees knees, and yet their records in the PL are pretty much identical...

Although the best 4 players on the pitch vs Arsenal were Mane, Salah, Gini, and Matip  8)
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #38946: Sep 06, 2017 11:52:20 pm
      I think these are his exact quotes, Luke.

And, in all honesty, I don't really expect him to say that the Celtic job is easier than the Liverpool job while being the manager of Celtic. I really don't think he was disrespectful towards the Liverpool job by meaning to say that it was easier than his current job.

Exactly mate. What to people expect him to say "this is a piece of piss feels like I'm on holiday"
      For all the stick he takes from Liverpool fans I'd love him to have said "I'm gutted we didn't get them in the CL. We'd smash them the way we did last time Celtic played Liverpool in Europe"
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #38947: Sep 06, 2017 11:53:25 pm
      Well I read that he said the pressure is greater to win every game, where what he meant to say was the expectation to win every game is greater. No doubt his defenders will say that there's little difference, the truth is there's enormous difference as I said in an earlier post.

I expect to breathe every few seconds throughout the day, I don't feel pressure to breathe every few seconds. Celtic are expected to win every game, they aren't under pressure to because the task is so simple. Pressure and difficulty have strict correlation and while Celtic are so overwhelmingly dominant in a league of their own then the 'pressure' will never even get close to what he dealt with at Liverpool and he knows it.

As you say he felt drained when he left Liverpool, rightly so, it's a tough job that only few are worthy of even turning their hand to it. People tried to tell me things would never change because the manager wasn't the problem it was solely FSG, while I agree with them about FSG being a problem, I always thought that a top quality manager had a greater role to play than was truly put under the microscope when he was here. Thankfully, Jürgen is proving what is possible, even under the stewardship of FSG, and I say that in terms of squad quality, type of player, type of football philosophy and progress. We were told that we couldn't beat the richest clubs in the league, that we simply couldn't compete, yet Jürgen has the best record I've ever witnessed against the top 6 'best' teams in the league. We were told we couldn't attract top stars under FSG, yet Jürgen has Salah, Keita both signed, VvD and Lemar both itching to join, these are players who were coveted by teams with far bigger budgets compared to us yet the draw is evident from our side now.

Truth is the Brendanistas will always make excuses for the man based on 1 thing and 1 thing alone and that position is so entrenched that they'll take comfort in the fact that he can dominate at Celtic. I want to see him get a top job, want to see what he can do against the big boys in Europe to make a proper judgement of his managerial skills because I'm still convinced that he's a decent front foot coach (suits being the best team in the league for that) yet when it comes to anything else he's not got much to back him up. His transfer record with us is abysmal, people don't like it when you say that he didn't fancy Sturridge before he signed or that Coutinho was recommended, simply because they were among the very few he really got right and I'm convinced at least one was a TC choice. Let's not forget he oversaw the likes of Suarez/Sterling/Gerrard to leave and left us with a squad so shallow in terms of quality that even after clear upgrades entered the first team Jürgen was facing both barrels from Brendan's biggest fans due to 'his' squad.

With all due respect mate, am I a "Brendanista"?
      I supported him, mostly, while he was here.
      I quite liked the guy in many ways.
      I thought the job, in the end, was too big, too soon.

I don't think badly of him, I liked the football his teams played.

Yeah, he was a bit of an eejit at times, but not in the McLaren fake dutch accent way, just a bit full of himself, which I suppose some would call confidence.

I can see his point with "different pressure" is open to interpretation, but honestly, I don't really give a sh*t now.
      He's gone, he's doing well in his new job, fair fucks to him, and I hope he has a successful career.

No doubt when he's a bit older and wiser, he'll do well in the prem at some point.
      It won't be with us, but I'll always have fond memories of the buccaneering style of play, the goals and his tendency to love himself a bit too much.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38948: Sep 07, 2017 12:01:38 am

You are having a laugh!

Let's go through our first team:

Firmino: When available Brendan preferred others, proven to be a stupid decision, especially as those 'others' included Benteke, Klopp has shown what a talent the lad is and how our football changes distinctly when he's in the team compared to others.

Mane: Klopp purchase, clearly improved the team massively.

Salah: Klopp purchase, clearly improved the team massively.

Wijanldum/Lallana/Coutinho: Clearly moved them to the correct role or simply a Klopp purchase.

Can: Developed under Jürgen to a player that is being coveted by top teams, under Brendan he was playing CB and RB...

Henderson: Similar player that he always was.

TAA/Gomez/Clyne: Both the first two are making tremendous progress under Klopp, to the point that our first team player is missing with injury and he isn't missed. In fact he's really been ousted, potentially by both of them.

Matip: A Klopp purchase, massive improvement.

Lovren: Showed huge improvement last season, delivering his most consistent performances since he's been here.

Moreno/Milner/Robertson: One has improved, one has been ousted and the other is a Klopp purchase.

Migs/Karius/Ward: One has shown improvement, the next is a Klopp purchase and Ward is developing.

So you say that the 'same players' would have started, even if that is true go and watch the first 8 games of Brendan's last season and compare it to what you watch now. Compare the difference between what Jürgen produces with similar players to what Brendan did and you'll get a glimpse of the truth. Brendan left us a dysfunctional mess, with no plan or direction, right now everything apart from the owners couldn't be clearer. The difference is night and day, whether you wish to admit it or not.

« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2017 12:08:55 am by KopiteLuke »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38949: Sep 07, 2017 12:05:02 am
      With all due respect mate, am I a "Brendanista"?
      I supported him, mostly, while he was here.
      I quite liked the guy in many ways.
      I thought the job, in the end, was too big, too soon.

I don't think badly of him, I liked the football his teams played.

Yeah, he was a bit of an eejit at times, but not in the McLaren fake dutch accent way, just a bit full of himself, which I suppose some would call confidence.

I can see his point with "different pressure" is open to interpretation, but honestly, I don't really give a sh*t now.
      He's gone, he's doing well in his new job, fair fucks to him, and I hope he has a successful career.

No doubt when he's a bit older and wiser, he'll do well in the prem at some point.
      It won't be with us, but I'll always have fond memories of the buccaneering style of play, the goals and his tendency to love himself a bit too much.

No Swab, there's only a few who fall into that select category and they stick out like a sore thumb because they defend the indefensible.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #38950: Sep 07, 2017 12:16:51 am
      You are having a laugh!

Let's go through our first team and sub bench:

Firmino: When available Brendan preferred others, proven to be a stupid decision, especially as those 'others' included Benteke, Klopp has shown what a talent the lad is and how our football changes distinctly when he's in the team compared to others.

Mane: Klopp purchase, clearly improved the team massively.

Salah: Klopp purchase, clearly improved the team massively.

Wijanldum/Lallana/Coutinho: Clearly moved them to the correct role or simply a Klopp purchase.

BR hardly had 2 minutes to work with Firmino, you have no idea how he would have gone on to use him.
      How do you actually know these players were Klopp purchases? Mane seemed to come out of the blue when Gotze, Klopps first choice died a death. With the old Southampton connection this to me could easily have been a transfer committee recommendation
      Salah and Wijnaldum were regularly linked to us under BR, again could easily be TC signings

Can: Developed under Jürgen to a player that is being coveted by all the top teams, under Brendan he was playing CB and RB...

Henderson: Similar player that he always was.

Yeah Can is developing nicely but who was saying that this time last year? He signed as a very young player, again who knows how he would have progressed under BR
      I would argue Henderson was a much more effective player under BR.

TAA/Gomez/Clyne: Both the first two are making tremendous progress under Klopp, to the point that our first team player is missing with injury and he isn't missed. In fact he's really been ousted, potentially by both of them.

Matip: A Klopp purchase, massive improvement.

Lovren: Showed huge improvement last season, delivering his most consistent performances since he's been here.

Moreno/Milner/Robertson: One has improved, one has been ousted and the other is a Klopp purchase.

Migs/Karius/Ward: One has shown improvement, the next is a Klopp purchase and Ward is developing.

So you say that the 'same players' would have started, even if that is true go and watch the first 8 games of Brendan's last season and compare it to what you watch now. Compare the difference between what Jürgen produces with similar players to what Brendan did and you'll get a glimpse of the truth. Brendan left us a dysfunctional mess, with no plan or direction, right now everything apart from the owners couldn't be clearer. The difference is night and day, whether you wish to admit it or not.

Whatever mate. Sadio Mane went out of this team in Jan and the whole f***in thing fell apart, we stopped playing for 2 months. Sell him to Barca and give Klopp Ricky Lambert and Mario Balotelli equivalents and see how we get on
      Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson, Lallana, Can, Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard - none of them of course developed or improved under BR

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38951: Sep 07, 2017 12:27:55 am
      and yet their records in the PL are pretty much identical...

The whole thing about their record being similar is a bit misleading really. Look at the players BR was able to call upon when he took over and during his time, the likes of Gerrard and Suarez and even a near on injury free season for Sturridge at his best. When Klopp took over we had Coutinho as our only real stand out player, everyone else was either below par or completely shot of confidence.

Whilst their records are similar in the league, BR took over a team that had won a trophy and finished runners up in the FA Cup. Fast forward to the end of his time with us and all we had managed was an abysmal showing against Villa in the last 4 of the FA Cup. Granted we went out of the FA Cup early after BR had left but we did get to 2 finals still in Klopp's first season with us, so straight away he achieved more with a sub standard team than what BR had managed over 3/4 years with the likes of Suarez to call upon.

Obviously BR ran us close to winning the league but coming close to winning the league once, I find seems to have lost a lot of the positives it gave us. His final full season was a shocker, no doubt about it, but the day we got completely and utterly and generally brutally ripped to pieces by Stoke to lose 6-1 is the day I felt all the hard work of the season we came 2nd was completely undone, long gone and virtually meaningless by the time he had left. He should have done the right thing and walked away then but he stayed a bit longer and we were just getting worse and worse and I wouldn't have been surprised if we had another Stoke style battering coming our way had he stayed. Fair enough our record under Klopp against the lesser teams hasn't really been good enough, we've lost concentration and thrown games away through silly individual errors and I wont deny that at all. But, at least we have a fantastic record against the so called "top teams", where we have only lost 1 game in Klopp's time. Now compare that to BR and we struggled, it was almost the other way around, we could give the lesser teams a hiding but get beat against the Mancs and Chavs quite easily. IMO, I'd rather be dropping points against the lesser teams and beating the top teams because at least that gives you a really good basis for going forward.

I have nothing against BR personally but when I think back to his time with us, there were a lot more bad times than good and he was just simply out of his depth for a club like us. That's not to say he's not a good manager, just like Benteke isn't a bad player but if you don't match the club then you wont have a lot of success. I can see him going on to be at Celtic for another 5years+ and good on him, I will never rate the league but he's getting the wins, the points and the silverware and that's all you can ask for.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38952: Sep 07, 2017 12:28:52 am
      Whatever mate. Sadio Mane went out of this team in Jan and the whole f***in thing fell apart, we stopped playing for 2 months. Sell him to Barca and give Klopp Ricky Lambert and Mario Balotelli equivalents and see how we get on
      Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson, Lallana, Can, Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard - none of them of course developed or improved under BR

Read this over and over and over again, recognise who bought who and who is no longer with us in that list. Then figure out which manager saw one stay and which manager allowed those to leave.

Recognise who replaced Suarez with Lambert and Balotelli, then recognise which manager is signing Keita, Salah, Mane, Matip etc.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #38953: Sep 07, 2017 12:42:04 am
      Read this over and over and over again, recognise who bought who and who is no longer with us in that list. Then figure out which manager saw one stay and which manager allowed those to leave.

Recognise who replaced Suarez with Lambert and Balotelli, then recognise which manager is signing Keita, Salah, Mane, Matip etc.

Mate if you want to play it that BR had nothing to do with the good signings during his tenure and Klopp has everything to do with the good ones made during his then fair enough.
      BR laughed, pissed himself at the idea Balotelli would replace Suarez. It is well documented BR wanted nothing to do with him. His failing was not putting his foot down and saying "I'm out that door if you force this player on me" but he didn't and fair play to Klopp for sticking to his guns, however they are different people at different stages in their career, it wasn't BRs fault he was given the job at 38.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38954: Sep 07, 2017 12:49:34 am
      Mate if you want to play it that BR had nothing to do with the good signings during his tenure and Klopp has everything to do with the good ones made during his then fair enough.
      BR laughed, pissed himself at the idea Balotelli would replace Suarez. It is well documented BR wanted nothing to do with him. His failing was not putting his foot down and saying "I'm out that door if you force this player on me" but he didn't and fair play to Klopp for sticking to his guns, however they are different people at different stages in their career, it wasn't BRs fault he was given the job at 38.

This is exactly what some of us were saying at the time Alfie. He shouldn't have been dictated to by the TC, he shouldn't have allowed the bizarre situation of 1 for him, 1 for us to happen but it did and while it was his watch. No matter how much you like the bloke surely you hold him somewhat culpable if only for his compliance?

It was his first big gig and exactly why people said it was too soon. Klopp has come in and put a stop to all that. We didn't sell Coutinho and if we did the target to replace him was Lemar, not F***ing Balotelli or Lambert!

When we last made the CL Suarez left and we oversaw the biggest sh*t show of a transfer window we've ever had in my opinion. We went from real contenders to a joke, the fall from 2nd to what we became was embarrassing and that is the one of the many distinct differences. The fact you use this as a defence shows how far you'll bend to defend the indefensible. Sure call Brendan naive, easily manipulated or as I did a yes man, but he watched and allowed a signing he "pissed himself at the idea".

The differences are so monumental yet still I am astonished to see that people can't accept it.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #38955: Sep 07, 2017 01:10:10 am
      The whole thing about their record being similar is a bit misleading really. Look at the players BR was able to call upon when he took over and during his time, the likes of Gerrard and Suarez and even a near on injury free season for Sturridge at his best. When Klopp took over we had Coutinho as our only real stand out player, everyone else was either below par or completely shot of confidence.

I think you're a bit blinkered here.
      Suarez was good under KK but he was mercurial, missed more than he scored often getting moved around to accommodate Andy Carroll. Don't take my words for it read Suarez's view on the role of BR in his development
      "If it wasn't for Brendan, then I know I would not be the same player that you see at Barcelona today. Such a big part of my education is down to him and his management." http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11787/10290391/luis-suarez-hails-new-celtic-manager-brendan-rodgers
      Steven Gerrard was finished as the marauding number 10 he was, Carragher was on the way out.

Whilst their records are similar in the league, BR took over a team that had won a trophy and finished runners up in the FA Cup. Fast forward to the end of his time with us and all we had managed was an abysmal showing against Villa in the last 4 of the FA Cup. Granted we went out of the FA Cup early after BR had left but we did get to 2 finals still in Klopp's first season with us, so straight away he achieved more with a sub standard team than what BR had managed over 3/4 years with the likes of Suarez to call upon.

Of course it ended badly for BR but don't pretend that KK team of 11-12 was a good one that couldn't beat Cardiff in 120 minutes
      Obviously BR ran us close to winning the league but coming close to winning the league once, I find seems to have lost a lot of the positives it gave us. His final full season was a shocker, no doubt about it, but the day we got completely and utterly and generally brutally ripped to pieces by Stoke to lose 6-1 is the day I felt all the hard work of the season we came 2nd was completely undone, long gone and virtually meaningless by the time he had left. He should have done the right thing and walked away then but he stayed a bit longer and we were just getting worse and worse and I wouldn't have been surprised if we had another Stoke style battering coming our way had he stayed. Fair enough our record under Klopp against the lesser teams hasn't really been good enough, we've lost concentration and thrown games away through silly individual errors and I wont deny that at all. But, at least we have a fantastic record against the so called "top teams", where we have only lost 1 game in Klopp's time. Now compare that to BR and we struggled, it was almost the other way around, we could give the lesser teams a hiding but get beat against the Mancs and Chavs quite easily. IMO, I'd rather be dropping points against the lesser teams and beating the top teams because at least that gives you a really good basis for going forward.

I have nothing against BR personally but when I think back to his time with us, there were a lot more bad times than good and he was just simply out of his depth for a club like us. That's not to say he's not a good manager, just like Benteke isn't a bad player but if you don't match the club then you wont have a lot of success. I can see him going on to be at Celtic for another 5years+ and good on him, I will never rate the league but he's getting the wins, the points and the silverware and that's all you can ask for.

I'm not saying BR is a genius. For me he did a good job under difficult circumstances. It sadly got away from him in the end, he wasn't experienced enough to be LFC manager but he made a damn good fist of it and unlike others before him it hasn't broken him, mark my words BR will be managing a top 6 English team in the next 5 years.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38956: Sep 07, 2017 05:02:17 pm
      I think you're a bit blinkered here.
      Suarez was good under KK but he was mercurial, missed more than he scored often getting moved around to accommodate Andy Carroll. Don't take my words for it read Suarez's view on the role of BR in his development
      "If it wasn't for Brendan, then I know I would not be the same player that you see at Barcelona today. Such a big part of my education is down to him and his management." http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11787/10290391/luis-suarez-hails-new-celtic-manager-brendan-rodgers
      Steven Gerrard was finished as the marauding number 10 he was, Carragher was on the way out.

Of course it ended badly for BR but don't pretend that KK team of 11-12 was a good one that couldn't beat Cardiff in 120 minutes

I'm not saying BR is a genius. For me he did a good job under difficult circumstances. It sadly got away from him in the end, he wasn't experienced enough to be LFC manager but he made a damn good fist of it and unlike others before him it hasn't broken him, mark my words BR will be managing a top 6 English team in the next 5 years.

Not blinkered at all. But at the same time, it's just my opinion and I'm not going to get into it with you because it's something that we will just go round in circles with because we clearly rate him completely differently. So what I will leave it as is this, at least he was better than Woy!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,187 posts | 8558 
      Reply #38957: Sep 07, 2017 05:18:54 pm
      For all the stick he takes from Liverpool fans I'd love him to have said "I'm gutted we didn't get them in the CL. We'd smash them the way we did last time Celtic played Liverpool in Europe"

Hardly F***ing smashed us, decent goal from Hartson. Funny how some of them players you know that got 'smashed' by Celtic went on to become European Champions!!

« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2017 05:23:42 pm by HUYTON RED »
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #38958: Sep 07, 2017 06:11:23 pm
      Hardly f**king smashed us, decent goal from Hartson. Funny how some of them players you know that got 'smashed' by Celtic went on to become European Champions!!

My birthday is in June but
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,187 posts | 8558 
      Reply #38959: Sep 07, 2017 08:04:25 pm

.....I would still be wrong!!

That how you meant to finish that sentence ;)

Keep up lid
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #38960: Sep 07, 2017 08:59:39 pm
      .....I would still be wrong!!

That how you meant to finish that sentence ;)

Keep up lid

Mate fact is if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #38961: Sep 07, 2017 11:57:53 pm

Mate fact is if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle

Or gender realigned ...

Quick Reply