Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3051245 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16353: Apr 24, 2014 11:24:11 pm
      Exactly. It changed when we added crucial quality - Coutinho and Sturridge.
      It is no surprise that teams that play possession based football can look quite dull when they don't have enough attacking quality; that happened at Swansea (most of the possession they had was in their own half) and earlier at Liverpool. With the addition of two quick, creative, quality attacking players, the style "changed" (or rather, its execution); and as FMS notes, it started in January 2013, not this year. But the basis of our game has remained the same. It's pretty much about "arrogance" on the ball, playing from the back, always looking for opportunities to attack.

Te main difference is that we now have an attacking power we didn't possess before and, I thought it should go without saying, styles are not perfected in a week; it took time and can still improve even more (I'm sure it will). I remember a poster calling Rodgers stubborn and saying he was unwilling to adapt his style as early as September of his first season with us :D I thought that was quite ridiculous and said so back then. It is no surprise that, when given proper time, he's proven to be quite the opposite: one of the best in the league for adapting and tweaking formations and playing to the team's strengths.

The other thing Brendan should be credited for is resisting the need to play a style of football based on what he had at his disposal. It was going to be done by his way and only his way and by that way other players would have to raise their game. Thankfully only a few (Cole, Downing, Shelvey) fell by the wayside as the rest happily stepped up to the challenge of playing an intelligence and technically demanding style of football.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16354: Apr 24, 2014 11:25:04 pm
      F*cks sake can't we have a row about Rafa or something? This Brendan stuffs boring  :f_tongueincheek:  :f_whistle:

You probably don't know this, but I had doubts about Rafa during his time with us Mick. 
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16355: Apr 24, 2014 11:29:22 pm
      So because someone had doubts about Brendan at some stage in his short career with us you object to them enjoying the ride?  :D

Maybe you should sift through everyone's posts and only those that pass the Beerbelly test of total unquestioning support should be allowed to celebrate when we win the league?

Personally if we win the league I will be celebrating and enjoying it as much as anyone whether I pass the test or not mate.

As has already been discussed the general consensus is that they weren't 'merely' doubts. I haven't said I object to this ilk now suddenly enjoying the ride - in all honesty it just shows the fickleness of the supporter.

Don't take it so personally Sainty.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #16356: Apr 24, 2014 11:49:56 pm
      F*cks sake can't we have a row about Rafa or something? This Brendan stuffs boring  :f_tongueincheek:  :f_whistle:

Different when you're on the right side of the argument, ain't it Mick?  ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16357: Apr 24, 2014 11:57:14 pm
      As has already been discussed the general consensus is that they weren't 'merely' doubts. I haven't said I object to this ilk now suddenly enjoying the ride - in all honesty it just shows the fickleness of the supporter.

Don't take it so personally Sainty.

I am not taking it personally mate, I just find "I was right and you were wrong" and "I told you so" type posts annoying, especially when we are all enjoying our success. No need for it imo, I don't think there were many that wanted Brendan sacked and even if they did I am pretty sure they have changed their minds now, while I am sure 100% of us wanted Liverpool to win the title. Maybe only those that had no doubts that we would should be allowed to celebrate it if we do? :D

PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #16358: Apr 25, 2014 12:11:45 am
      Apparently Brendan has asked "The Chosen One" for dinner and to watch a game in the Anfield directors box.
      I heard about him doing this with a Barnet (?) manager who got sacked recently and apparently he does it because he remember what it was like to be sacked from Reading and wants to give a helping hand to sacked managers.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16359: Apr 25, 2014 12:46:20 am
      I am not taking it personally mate, I just find "I was right and you were wrong" and "I told you so" type posts annoying, especially when we are all enjoying our success. No need for it imo, I don't think there were many that wanted Brendan sacked and even if they did I am pretty sure they have changed their minds now, while I am sure 100% of us wanted Liverpool to win the title. Maybe only those that had no doubts that we would should be allowed to celebrate it if we do? :D

I remember Carlos Kickaball coming up with a very similar argument about the cups under Kenny like there was some kind of ridiculous equation that correlated between level of doubt and right to celebrate. It was the most ludicrous thing I've heard and I totally agree with you Saint everyone on here that isn't a blatant WUM and clearly supports Liverpool has every right to celebrate and will do regardless of what these strange equations say.

So many times it was suggested that there was an anti-Brendan group just waiting in the wings hoping he failed so they could be proved right and now that no such group has materialised the frustrations of those that convinced themselves that this group existed are fighting their way out. If they're not careful it will consume them and they actually wont enjoy what could be one of the greatest seasons in recent history.

I know for sure that when I join the party to greet the bus I wont be asking those beside me did you support unequivocally from the start because I don't want to dance and sing next to you if you didn't, ridiculous. Just enjoy the good times and hope they're here for a very long time to come.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #16360: Apr 25, 2014 12:56:06 am
      I remember Carlos Kickaball coming up with a very similar argument about the cups under Kenny like there was some kind of ridiculous equation that correlated between level of doubt and right to celebrate. It was the most ludicrous thing I've heard and I totally agree with you Saint everyone on here that isn't a blatant WUM and clearly supports Liverpool has every right to celebrate and will do regardless of what these strange equations say.

So many times it was suggested that there was an anti-Brendan group just waiting in the wings hoping he failed so they could be proved right and now that no such group has materialised the frustrations of those that convinced themselves that this group existed are fighting their way out. If they're not careful it will consume them and they actually wont enjoy what could be one of the greatest seasons in recent history.

I know for sure that when I join the party to greet the bus I wont be asking those beside me did you support unequivocally from the start because I don't want to dance and sing next to you if you didn't, ridiculous. Just enjoy the good times and hope they're here for a very long time to come.

Have to agree with this Luke, that being said why would the anti-Brendan group materialize when he has not failed....would think they would run and hide if of course they existed in the first place  :confused-smiley-013:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16361: Apr 25, 2014 01:01:50 am
      Have to agree with this Luke, that being said why would the anti-Brendan group materialize when he has not failed....would think they would run and hide if of course they existed in the first place  :confused-smiley-013:

Fair point AZ, never looked at that way. Well again, either hiding or non-existent I wont be asking them qualifying questions if they care to come out of hiding when we win the league coz I'm damn sure it's the club that we all support above all else and I'll look at everyone who turns out in May exactly the same and share the joy rather than look for those I deem less worthy.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16362: Apr 25, 2014 02:44:21 am

That's what's happened though isn't it.

Revisionism.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16363: Apr 25, 2014 03:47:13 am
      Just gotta accept that footy fans are weirdos.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #16364: Apr 25, 2014 05:51:30 am
      Brendan has pretty much done everything he could with the players he had/has. He feels totally at home at Anfield instead of when he first came, he had to grow into it, it must be a tough job, with the amazing history of the club.
      He was made to feel welcome by the fans and became more comfortable in all aspects of his job.. media etc
      I can't emphasise enough how I admire the way he doesn't get involved in any of the dirty crap, moaning about refs all the time and being aggressive towards other managers or their players.
      He is only focused on his work with the team and what HE can do to ensure we do well, not what the other managers are up to.
      If the bit of knowledge about him getting full control of who is brought in (transfers), then- he hasn't been choosing all of the players we bought, they have been scouted and other people have decided on his behalf.
      He should have full control of transfers as-of this summer (if it's been the case that he wasn't before)
      I am totally surprised about the turn around this season but I had a good feeling we would do really well.
      If we are this good now, man! Imagine what our team will be like in seasons to come under the boss man.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #16365: Apr 25, 2014 08:25:00 am
      Different when you're on the right side of the argument, ain't it Mick?  ;)

I normally am mate  :f_whistle:.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16366: Apr 25, 2014 12:07:30 pm
      I am not taking it personally mate, I just find "I was right and you were wrong" and "I told you so" type posts annoying,
      ;)

To be honest the thing which, sort of, baffles me the most is why people use it to be confrontational. I can understand the desire for recognition and reaffirmation the insecure might feel by reminding us how brilliantly brilliant they were in predicting something.

Setting aside the Brendan element for a minute and look at another example; say Hendo?

I'm pretty certain  when people were discussing how poor they felt he was that they believed it to be true at the time. At the time they felt their opinion was valid and the truth is; at the time it may well have been. I could and can see that, when they wrote what they wrote, they believed it to be valid [and in many cases supported their opinion with good arguments]. What does it matter, if after the event they 'got it wrong' about Hendo; what difference does it make  if they 'admit' it or not? The fact that they have reacted to events as they unfold is totally natural.

I happened to believe he was better than he was being given credit for and he could turn things 'round very quickly. How brilliant am I? To rub people's nose in 'it' would have served no purpose other than to inflame conflict in my opinion. It would have smacked of oneupmanship, would have been confrontational and obviously divisive, at a time we least need it.

The fact that Hendo turned things around by improved performances and stirring displays made people change their views... from sitting on the fence and total disbelief of the lad, people were changing their minds. I loved that. I loved watching people warm to him.

It's a great time to be a Red [especially a young Red] let's revel in that fact; eh?  8)

The sermon today was brought to you by...  ;D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16367: Apr 25, 2014 12:46:32 pm
      ;)

To be honest the thing which, sort of, baffles me the most is why people use it to be confrontational. I can understand the desire for recognition and reaffirmation the insecure might feel by reminding us how brilliantly brilliant they were in predicting something.

Setting aside the Brendan element for a minute and look at another example; say Hendo?

I'm pretty certain  when people were discussing how poor they felt he was that they believed it to be true at the time. At the time they felt their opinion was valid and the truth is; at the time it may well have been. I could and can see that, when they wrote what they wrote, they believed it to be valid [and in many cases supported their opinion with good arguments]. What does it matter, if after the event they 'got it wrong' about Hendo; what difference does it make  if they 'admit' it or not? The fact that they have reacted to events as they unfold is totally natural.

I happened to believe he was better than he was being given credit for and he could turn things 'round very quickly. How brilliant am I? To rub people's nose in 'it' would have served no purpose other than to inflame conflict in my opinion. It would have smacked of oneupmanship, would have been confrontational and obviously divisive, at a time we least need it.

The fact that Hendo turned things around by improved performances and stirring displays made people change their views... from sitting on the fence and total disbelief of the lad, people were changing their minds. I loved that. I loved watching people warm to him.

It's a great time to be a Red [especially a young Red] let's revel in that fact; eh?  8)

The sermon today was brought to you by...  ;D

I honestly find some of this stuff a bit rich coming from you, after all, you like to pat yourself on the back for reminding us how right you were about having Agger in the team and keeping clean sheets. You also like to do the exact same thing in the Henderson thread when many had/have written him off, you seem to take great pleasure in "rubbing people's noses in it" yourself and are equally guilty if anyone else it.

A quick delve into the Hendo thread to find yourself at the "I told you so game".

Like all those who have signed, picked and managed the lad - some of us could always see that.  ;D

It also baffles me, well actually isn't doesn't but it does go some way to prove the people who have tended to be so vociferous in this thread about 'moving on, one-up-manship, or we're all Reds' are the ones who are in confrontation with the observations that have been made by a few others. I would have loved to have said 'we're all reds' lets move on when for example Rodgers was heavily criticisd for using the adjective "brilliant" to describe Ayre - alas, it wouldn't have stopped the nitty gritty pedantic whiners from their agenda at the time.

"At the time we least need it" is the time when things aren't going too well or are a bit patchy, now we "don't need it" because we're sitting on top of the table? No, what we didn't need was agenda driven pedantic criticism which some appeared to use to be divisive at a time when everything wasn't as rosy, it's kind of like the old adage of not wanting to be stuck in a trench with a certain person, yet when the victory of war is on the horizon the naysayers come out with a revisionist side to history saying, they were in the trench with you and backed your man, even though they were laying under a bundle of sand bags sniping away at the their colonial.

There is nothing wrong with being wrong, that isn't the point but some of the nasty bitter stuff back in the midst of the battle from your own is remembered and observed. That's it, that's all, no more.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #16368: Apr 25, 2014 12:56:08 pm
      I believe Levi says it best....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS2nWLz-AbE

Some believed instantly, some wanted convincing.

Support for the club is what matters.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #16369: Apr 25, 2014 01:12:44 pm
      It's just a shame this mentality wasn't around earlier on - all the naysayers want to do now is enjoy just the ride, ironically  :f_tongueincheek:. Some of us were doing that way back, but we had to put up with all the BS from the negative ninnies.

what way back in August 2013 when you joined the forum because we where discussing Brendan from May 2012.Now unless you have read every post from the beginning bringing you up to speed how can even comment on anything before Aug 2013 when most of the debate had long gone and Brendan was settled an looking forward to his second season.
      All this has done is bring unwanted negativity to the forum at a time when we should be beaming with excitement and satisfaction at the good work the Club has done this season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,274 posts | 4937 
      Reply #16370: Apr 25, 2014 01:14:43 pm
      Some believed instantly, some wanted convincing.

Support for the club is what matters.

You would have thought so Scotia.

Anyway big game ahead for Brendan and I don't think for one minute he's bought any of Mourinho's 'mind games'.

He'll send out a side he thinks can win the game regardless of the fuss being made in the media.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #16371: Apr 25, 2014 01:20:57 pm
      You would have thought so Scotia.

Anyway big game ahead for Brendan and I don't think for one minute he's bought any of Mourinho's 'mind games'.

He'll send out a side he thinks can win the game regardless of the fuss being made in the media.

I think Maureen knows how well Brendan has developed since coming here and it would be useless for him try and use his usual crap to get into Brendans head.
      Whatever side he puts out its all about us not them we have the best "TEAM" in the league.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16372: Apr 25, 2014 01:24:18 pm
      I honestly find some of this stuff a bit rich coming from you, after all, you like to pat yourself on the back for reminding us how right you were about having Agger in the team and keeping clean sheets.
      Did you read the post mate or do you just think you did? After all, I did say - "I can understand the desire for recognition and reaffirmation the insecure might feel by reminding us how brilliantly brilliant they were in predicting something."

I also said -  "To be honest the thing which, sort of, baffles me the most is why people use it to be confrontational."

A quick delve into the Hendo thread to find yourself at the "I told you so game".
      Again I said - "I can understand the desire for recognition and reaffirmation the insecure might feel by reminding us how brilliantly brilliant they were in predicting something." I don't have an issue with that.

It's the confrontational bit I don't get mate.

Some people seem to thrive on it; to the point that they will contrive to manufacture an argument. Hell I've even seen the situation where the confrontational agree with a poster's view and still contrive to get a dig in at that poster because of a chip they carry like a mill-stone. Weirdly the animosity they have to the individual (from a previous difference of opinion) far out-weighs the point being made. You may not agree but I think that's pitiful and way less understandable than wanting to say 'I told you so'.

That said; if you, or anyone else, believes what I wrote in either the Agger or Henderson threads in support of either of our two players was designed to cause conflict or offence - I can assure you it wasn't and am sorry for causing offence... real or imagined.

There is nothing wrong with being wrong, that isn't the point but some of the nasty bitter stuff back in the midst of the battle from your own is remembered and observed. That's it, that's all, no more.
      Indeed, I get that and I'm wrong more often than I'm right, if truth be told so I've no problem with "remembered and observed" but... carried around and for a long time in the hope that someday it can be used against that someone you had a disagreement with; like some sort of weird stalker? Nah... not for me mate but each to their own. 

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2014 01:35:41 pm by bad boy bubby »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #16373: Apr 25, 2014 01:53:00 pm
       The point is though that those who "stuck up for Henderson" can rightly claim to have been right all along, given the way he plays these days. In truth however, the people who "stuck up for" Brendan (of which I was one, nah-nah nanah-nah) can't in all seriousness claim the same, not if we're hand on heart honest. Double standards? Not really. I mean, if Henderson had gone on to be World player of the year you could hardly gain much kudos by saying "I always said he was worthy of a place in the squad" or "I never wanted to sell him to Fulham in the first place". The point being, if he was World player of the year you'd have been right to "stick up for him", but unless you'd predicted he might end up being an unbelievable player you're almost as wrong as everyone else. In the case of Brendan, it's all very well saying "I was right all along when he might turn out to be decent" but I don't think many were predicting we'd win the league this year when we got spanked 3-0 at West Brom last season, or 3-1 at Hull this.

The truth is Brendan is proving himself to be a truly World class operator, within two years of taking the job. NOBODY predicted that would happen, so everyone was wrong about him, just in varying degrees.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16374: Apr 25, 2014 02:11:19 pm
      Did you read the post mate or do you just think you did? After all, I did say - "I can understand the desire for recognition and reaffirmation the insecure might feel by reminding us how brilliantly brilliant they were in predicting something."

I also said -  "To be honest the thing which, sort of, baffles me the most is why people use it to be confrontational."
      Again I said - "I can understand the desire for recognition and reaffirmation the insecure might feel by reminding us how brilliantly brilliant they were in predicting something." I don't have an issue with that.

It's the confrontational bit I don't get mate.

Some people seem to thrive on it; to the point that they will contrive to manufacture an argument. Hell I've even seen the situation where the confrontational agree with a poster's view and still contrive to get a dig in at that poster because of a chip they carry like a mill-stone. Weirdly the animosity they have to the individual (from a previous difference of opinion) far out-weighs the point being made. You may not agree but I think that's pitiful and way less understandable than wanting to say 'I told you so'.

That said; if you, or anyone else, believes what I wrote in either the Agger or Henderson threads in support of either of our two players was designed to cause conflict or offence - I can assure you it wasn't and am sorry for causing offence... real or imagined.
      Indeed, I get that and I'm wrong more often than I'm right, if truth be told so I've no problem with "remembered and observed" but... carried around and for a long time in the hope that someday it can be used against that someone you had a disagreement with; like some sort of weird stalker? Nah... not for me mate but each to their own.

Ah, Okay, so now it's okay to turn around and say "how brilliant I am" because I've pointed out you're just as guilty of it. Gotcha.  :gt-happyup:

So it's really the confrontational stuff you now dislike as opposed to 'I told you so' and 'rubbing people's noses in it' or is it the same thing?  :confused-smiley-013:

Yesterday you posted this:

So yes; I get the anger but to carry a grudge? Maybe... but for how long? How long before we let go of that grudge, unite and move on. I know, from experience, it will happen at some point.

Why not now; when we are on the verge of something really special?

Yes, why not now? You've since come back into the thread today (starting off again) to arguably be confrontational by leaving some bait around in your first post, but why are you not heeding your own advice, why would you rather carry on the confrontations?  :confused-smiley-013:

It seems the people who were right in the end, are now the ones in the wrong for pointing this out because they're 'rubbing peoples' noses' in it, apparently. More revisionism I suppose to make those who were very critical of Rodgers & co back in "Auguest 2013" feel better about themselves, a little deflection never hurt nobody, so long as it's not hurting oneself eh?

It appears to me, as though the sand is constantly shifting beneath me here with the goal posts moving in the opposite direction.

As I said, it's all a bit rich and audacious really.

Anyway, seeing as you are unable to take your own medicine, this shall be my last word on this as I can actually move on as opposed to the people who just say it in order to do some more defecting.  ;)
      « Last Edit: Apr 25, 2014 02:24:52 pm by Beerbelly »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,034 posts | 3352 
      Reply #16375: Apr 25, 2014 02:14:14 pm
      I don't think many were predicting we'd win the league this year when we got spanked 3-0 at West Brom last season, or 3-1 at Hull this.

I did. So I guess I'm both right and wrong, right on the fact we're going to win it this year, wrong on the fact that we didn't it last year.

That right and wrong though has nothing to do with Brendan Rodgers being in charge however. As people will know, some have even made a joke out of it, I say we'll win it every year so it's of no importance who the manager is at the time. My opinion that we'll win the League each and every season will never waver regardless of manager.

Quick Reply