Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3049238 times
      N3M0N
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #17296: Aug 28, 2014 07:57:50 am
      Mig
      Manquillo
      Sakho
      Lovren
      Moreno
      Gerrard
      Henderson
      Lallana
      Sterling
      Mario
      Daniel.

Sorry Phil, but you are just too hot and cold at times.

Best players we got in squad right now...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17297: Aug 28, 2014 08:19:45 am
      Very tough trying to get Markovic and Sterling in the same side as Mario and Daniel.

Unless we drop Stevie and play 4-4-2 like City...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #17298: Aug 28, 2014 08:46:03 am
      Very tough trying to get Markovic and Sterling in the same side as Mario and Daniel.

Unless we drop Stevie and play 4-4-2 like City...

I hope we don't get into a situation were we have to play Stevie in every game.I hope that the best team is selected at all times and when you look at the goals conceded last season and on Monday we are crying out for a DM with pace who can cover all along the line of the back four.PLaying away to the top teams I would start with 4-5-1 .
      ineedfootball
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #17299: Aug 28, 2014 10:34:45 am
      Mig
      Manquillo
      Sakho
      Lovren
      Moreno
      Gerrard
      Henderson
      Lallana
      Sterling
      Mario
      Daniel.

Best lineup in my opinion.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #17300: Aug 28, 2014 11:32:36 am
      Mig
      Manquillo
      Sakho
      Lovren
      Moreno
      Gerrard
      Henderson
      Lallana
      Sterling
      Mario
      Daniel.

You could make a case for Markovic in place of Lallana, but I suppose Adam gives us more defensive cover and a bit more balance to the team.

What formation do you reckon; 4-2-2-2, 4-3-1-2, 4-3-3, diamond?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,277 posts | 2833 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17301: Aug 28, 2014 01:34:48 pm
      Why has the Brendan Rodgers thread become a pick the team/formation thread
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #17302: Aug 28, 2014 01:55:14 pm
      Why has the Brendan Rodgers thread become a pick the team/formation thread
      I hear Rodgers bought most of these guys.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #17303: Aug 28, 2014 02:15:01 pm
      The majority of our starting 11 and bench will be Rodgers players. It is in the next 2 - 3 years I feel we will see our side truly flourish until then we need to be patient with the gaffer.

I still hope to win the league, no doubts about it but at the same time we need to allow the team to gel, it is Brendans job to ensure we remain in CL while this team becomes one. If we win the league imo its a bonus, at first I thought he needed to but upon reflection the signings we have made won't just slot in and be on form, we need a wee bit of time.

Hopefully Brendan can get them playing as unit quicker than most and give us a tittle challenge and a strong cup run on the way, but for me maintaining top four with the new look squad is of the up most importance.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #17304: Aug 28, 2014 09:12:57 pm
      After the international break we have 7 games in 21 days; including a Champions League away tie following the Merseyside derby.

This will be an interesting and early test for Brendan's ability to rotate the squad effectively.

No doubt we'll see everyone get a fair share of game time during this period. Could provide a good insight to exactly what our strongest XI will be and the formation used.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #17305: Aug 29, 2014 07:49:07 pm
      That's a very good point about the 7 games in 21 days. Should toughen up the squad - nothing quite like pressure to bring out the best.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #17306: Aug 30, 2014 04:29:11 pm
      Shipping out all the Rafa signings 1 by 1 5th transfer window now I believe he should have his "own " squad  so no excuses really.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17307: Aug 30, 2014 04:50:00 pm
      Shipping out all the Rafa signings 1 by 1 5th transfer window now I believe he should have his "own " squad  so no excuses really.

You make it sound like he shouldn't be doing that. I don't think anyone excused Brendan over the fact that many of the players he played weren't his so what's your point? I think some people have to admit that some players have had their time at this club and can't accept that their time is up. There's no point in living in denial over it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #17308: Aug 30, 2014 05:06:22 pm

Johnson,Skrtle  & Lucas left I think from that era, 3rd season for Rodgers so has to deliver something on the trophy front.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17309: Aug 30, 2014 05:09:57 pm
      As long as the players coming in are better than the players leaving I don't think anyone should have a problem with it.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #17310: Aug 30, 2014 05:11:30 pm

Get out of the mindset of 'Rodgers - Rookie Manager'.

It's not 2012 you know.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #17311: Aug 30, 2014 05:31:59 pm
      What do people mean by 'no excuses'. What is he should be excusing exactly? Does it mean that he can't have any excuses if he doesn't win the Premier League in his 3rd season? Was that a realistic expectation when he joined?

I don't think we've got to the stage with Rodgers when we  can say 'no excuses'. I understand expectations change as time goes on but he has set the standards we have now, no need to use it against him.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #17312: Aug 30, 2014 06:08:41 pm
      Johnson,Skrtle  & Lucas left I think from that era, 3rd season for Rodgers so has to deliver something on the trophy front.

Is this serious? He HAS to win a trophy?

Are people so blind as to see what a catastrofuck was left when Rodgers took charge? Even worse than when Benitez came ten years ago.

And balls to all this 'we are Liverpool, we always have high expectations'. Don't give a F**k, we have to be realistic too.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17313: Aug 30, 2014 06:16:11 pm
      It's the same people emerging from the woodwork who weren't keen on Rodgers in the first place. I guess they want to be wrong for a second time.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #17314: Aug 30, 2014 06:20:07 pm
      Last year we came as close to winning the league as we have in over two decades, but now "he has no excuses" because the remnants of Rafa's squad are moving on? What kind of bat sh*t crazy logic is that based on?

Also he HAS to win a trophy? Or what? Do we sack him? If we finish 2nd again this season but don't bring home any silverware do we say, "Thanks for bringing us back from mid-table mediocrity Brendan and nearly making our dreams come true, but that's it, you've had your chance. Adios". Mad this forum sometimes. Proper, proper mad.

The man is building something special here. Leave him to it.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #17315: Aug 30, 2014 07:02:16 pm
      F**k all the Brendan haters - bandwagoning idiots.

Don't bother supporting him in victory.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #17316: Aug 30, 2014 07:08:58 pm
      Those suggesting he has to improve on the trophy front are right, he has been awful so far there's no denying that.

He's built a squad now though, in the past we have had to rely on the kids, well that has all changed so I expect a much better showing in other competitions this year.

I'd personally be content with securing CL football again for next year, progressing through the group stage of the CL and a decent run in one of the domestic cups.

Should we start doing as well as we did last year in the league I'd have no problems in prioritising it over everything else though, it is after all the one trophy we all crave.

So no, has to win a trophy is too strong, but has to improve, most definitely.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17317: Aug 30, 2014 08:06:37 pm
      Those suggesting he has to improve on the trophy front are right, he has been awful so far there's no denying that.

He's built a squad now though, in the past we have had to rely on the kids, well that has all changed so I expect a much better showing in other competitions this year.

I'd personally be content with securing CL football again for next year, progressing through the group stage of the CL and a decent run in one of the domestic cups.

Should we start doing as well as we did last year in the league I'd have no problems in prioritising it over everything else though, it is after all the one trophy we all crave.

So no, has to win a trophy is too strong, but has to improve, most definitely.

If by trophies we are talking (and talk realistically) about the League Cup and the FA Cup a big part of me thinks....so what? The former should be scrapped outright and while I am a fan of the FA Cup there's no doubting that it is a distant third in terms of how we get on in the Premier League and the Champions League. Those competitions are not indicators of progress or of great value anymore so Brendan's "failure" in them doesn't really stand up to be anything significant against him. Brendan came into Liverpool to get build us up again, get back into the Champions League and then step up from there to hopefully win the Premier League and become European Champions. The immediate goal of Brendan's, when he arrived two years ago, was to re establish ourselves amongst the very best in the league and by doing so only the league mattered - it was all about Premier League, Premier League, Premier League. I couldn't give a sh*t how we performed in the domestic trophies so long as we performed in the league.

Yes the FA Cup and, to a much lesser extent, the League Cup are nice side dishes but that's all they've been of late - side dishes. They don't make or break a season anymore. When we can consolidate our position in the top 4 and as a regular feature in the Champions League, maybe then we can start putting greater emphasis on those other competitions.
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2014 09:52:08 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #17318: Aug 30, 2014 08:57:50 pm
      The Champions League is the be all and end all as far as FSG are concerned I think TBH. The PL title is an unrealistic target (as it is for most), a cup would be nice but consolidation of a Champions League spot is what'll keep Brendan in his job. It's probably what's kept Wenger in his! Would more than likely get a bye from the management if he misses out next year but I'd expect serious questions will be asked by them if he missed out again the season after that.

This year is Brendan's biggest test. Bucking the trend of his predecessors and maintaining momentum. If he does that, I'll be happy. He's been given the far better chance to succeed than Houllier (got most of his 1st choice players) or Rafa (told to shop in poundland).

Quick Reply