Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3047790 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #23966: Jan 28, 2015 01:34:11 pm
      I don't think in terms of yesterday's defeat it makes any impact on Brendan Rodgers's LFC future.  A League Cup win AND an FA Cup final didn't save Dalglish - the board clearly couldn't give two fucks about domestic (or even Europa League silverware).

Having failed to qualify us from the CL group then his only other target was to finish in the top four.  It's either that or bust I would have thought.  No point us spending any more time arguing over it now.

Still think he could do with a trophy - even if it doesn't save his job then it would at least give his LFC record a better touch - been a while since we've had a new boss without a trophy in the opening 3 years.

I don't think it's really on the agenda now given the excellent form shown over the last couple of months. We've played some excellent football, look more resolute defensively and should be able to push on towards the top 4 in the coming months. The manager has made some nice changes with the new formation and has for the most part abandoned starting with Balo or Lambert up front (I wonder if Balo will for LFC again after last night, can see a last minute loan deal meself).

If we don't achieve top 4 or manage to keep this momentum up for the rest of the season I suspect it will be in large part down to the failure of the board to recognise that we need to spend on a quality striker during this window. It's all very well saying it's your bed, you lay in it, you spent all the money in the summer so deal with it but our top 4 ambitions probably hinge completely on Sturridge staying fit for the rest of the season which is an incredible gamble.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #23967: Jan 28, 2015 01:53:32 pm
      I don't think it's really on the agenda now given the excellent form shown over the last couple of months. We've played some excellent football, look more resolute defensively and should be able to push on towards the top 4 in the coming months. The manager has made some nice changes with the new formation and has for the most part abandoned starting with Balo or Lambert up front (I wonder if Balo will for LFC again after last night, can see a last minute loan deal meself).

If we don't achieve top 4 or manage to keep this momentum up for the rest of the season I suspect it will be in large part down to the failure of the board to recognise that we need to spend on a quality striker during this window. It's all very well saying it's your bed, you lay in it, you spent all the money in the summer so deal with it but our top 4 ambitions probably hinge completely on Sturridge staying fit for the rest of the season which is an incredible gamble.

Something has changed though hasn't it? If no signings are made this window does that imply the board aren't really prepared to fully back Brendan? Because Brendan's tone has certainly changed since summer.

Rodgers:
      "There is money to spend, no question," he said. "But I won't spend it for the sake of it. It has to be the right type. If that means I have to wait until January then that's what I will do."

"If there is something that's available, the beauty of our owners here is that they will back what we want to do. If there was something we felt that would improve us for the short and long term that is something we would do."

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #23968: Jan 28, 2015 02:03:50 pm
      Something has changed though hasn't it? If no signings are made this window does that imply the board aren't really prepared to fully back Brendan? Because Brendan's tone has certainly changed since summer.

Rodgers:
      "There is money to spend, no question," he said. "But I won't spend it for the sake of it. It has to be the right type. If that means I have to wait until January then that's what I will do."

"If there is something that's available, the beauty of our owners here is that they will back what we want to do. If there was something we felt that would improve us for the short and long term that is something we would do."

It could be mate - or it could indicate that the targets we want just aren't out there.

Chelsea went through the whole of last season without a proper striker and they have bags of cash. Nevertheless they decided to hold out for Costa.

If we want a long term, young goalkeeper we can build teh side around for the next 8-10 years is it likely that a candidate will be available mid-season? If so he will either have been doing badly at his club, have returned from injury or the club are desperate to sell.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #23969: Jan 28, 2015 02:25:19 pm
      It could be mate - or it could indicate that the targets we want just aren't out there.

Chelsea went through the whole of last season without a proper striker and they have bags of cash. Nevertheless they decided to hold out for Costa.

If we want a long term, young goalkeeper we can build teh side around for the next 8-10 years is it likely that a candidate will be available mid-season? If so he will either have been doing badly at his club, have returned from injury or the club are desperate to sell.

Yeah, I get what your saying. It's just that you got to really question the motives of FSG. They clearly don't give a fig about the domestic cup runs, so you'd like to think that their ambition lies within the league, 'maintaining' Champion's League status and associated revenue streams. Something they haven't got a prayer of doing unless they are 100% behind the manager and backing him up with the necessary funds.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #23970: Jan 28, 2015 02:28:39 pm
      Yeah, I get what your saying. It's just that you got to really question the motives of FSG. They clearly don't give a fig about the domestic cup runs, so you'd like to think that their ambition lies within the league, 'maintaining' Champion's League status and associated revenue streams. Something they haven't got a prayer of doing unless they are 100% behind the manager and backing him up with the necessary funds.

Just curious..how do we know FSG don't care about the domestic cup runs?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #23971: Jan 28, 2015 02:37:33 pm

They pretty much said so when sacking Kenny

They are a bonus but they don't matter to them at the end of the day. Finishing 4th (and above but that's not necessary) is their remit for success (financial)
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #23972: Jan 28, 2015 02:40:11 pm

Well it sure as fu*k didn't save the King - did it? :f_tongueincheek:
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #23973: Jan 28, 2015 02:45:09 pm
      Business men first and foremost. Silverware will always be secondary to finances where these clowns are concerned.

Their passion for football is non-existent. When a club the size of Liverpool is referred to as a "brand", you know they really couldn't give a sh*te where football is concerned.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23974: Jan 28, 2015 03:12:26 pm
      Personally don't think Brendan's job is even in the slightest bit of question going into next season to be honest; in FSG's eyes last seasons result was ahead of schedule.
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2015 03:25:32 pm by AZPatriot »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Reply #23975: Jan 28, 2015 03:35:53 pm
      excellent form shown over the last couple of months.

Not quite sure I'd go that far.  It's been better, no doubt, but excellent? In the last two months we've won once in 7 home games. 

Next 5 Premier League games will be the judge of whether Liverpool have turned a corner.  At least 3 of the teams are competitors for the top four and need to be beaten to stop them stealing a march on us.  The other 2 are Man City and Everton. 

Top four can't be sorted in the next five games but it can certainly go from a possibility to a pipe dream.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #23976: Jan 28, 2015 03:47:55 pm
      Business men first and foremost. Silverware will always be secondary to finances where these clowns are concerned.

Their passion for football is non-existent. When a club the size of Liverpool is referred to as a "brand", you know they really couldn't give a sh*te where football is concerned.

Didn't they say that winning the FA Cup wouldn't have changed their decision.  You could interpret that as not caring about the cups, you could just as easily say that only garnering 18 league points out of 57 had them worried. 
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #23977: Jan 28, 2015 04:00:28 pm
      In the last two months we've won once in 7 home games.

Wow, that's quite abysmal, very shocking and mid - low table standard.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23978: Jan 28, 2015 05:19:49 pm
      Wow, that's quite abysmal, very shocking and mid - low table standard.

Yeah well when you lose one of the best players in the world and replace him with a malcontent, a pensioner and a kid that is what you get.

I don't blame Brendan for any of the above.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #23979: Jan 28, 2015 05:30:28 pm
      Yeah well when you lose one of the best players in the world and replace him with a malcontent, a pensioner and a kid that is what you get.

I don't blame Brendan for any of the above.

Let's be honest, Losing Sturridge and Suarez is no excuse for our poor start when we had 120m to spend last summer.

Tactically as well, Rodgers had got it wrong for the first half of the season, but credit to him for changing things round and realising that a defensive midfielder as well as a mobile forward was needed to play to our strengths.

There are a few things that needs addressing, and from my perspective, he's still making some mistakes, but most importantly, we're finally on the right track. Hopefully, he won't make the same mistakes come summer and next season.

Do I blame Rodgers for the transfers and slow start? The majority of the blame goes to him for me, so Yes, I do, but he's made and is making changes and we're slowly on the rise.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #23980: Jan 28, 2015 05:43:31 pm
      Failure gets the sack. The only reason we have been occasionally hand in hand with failure this season, is because we failed to replace the then, worlds most lethal goal scorer, and followed that up by not buying quality cover for the premierships second best goal scorer as well.
      There have been a few ' poor substitutions' and to a lesser amount, 'some strange starting line ups,' but primarily, we have failed to build on last seasons epic rise, due to not buying a top draw striker.
      Who's fault is that, B.R's or FSG ?
      Other the than the obvious, I think Brendan has improved on his selections, and found a strategy that suits the squad we have, he also now plays with a settled, confident side, with few disruptions to the starting line up.
      Only thing i would criticise is the continued use of Johnson and Baloteli, when fit, as they bring nothing but disruption to the organisation of the team. How many chances do either of these need. It would show me that B.R. did have balls of steel if he told both of them it's time to look for another club. Just like he told Migs. Dropped indefinitely.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #23981: Jan 28, 2015 05:50:39 pm
      Well it sure as fu*k didn't save the King - did it? :f_tongueincheek:

I firmly believe that it was always FSG's plans to use Kenny as a stop gap until they brought in "their" man. So no, it didn't "save" Kenny but it was never going to to begin with. You can bet if Brendan wins a trophy in one of the domestic cups they will come out of hiding to proudly proclaim his glory in winning silverware though.  So yes, I think it matters to them to the extent that it serves their agenda (i.e. to win with "their" manager).
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23982: Jan 28, 2015 05:55:46 pm
      I firmly believe that it was always FSG's plans to use Kenny as a stop gap until they brought in "their" man. So no, it didn't "save" Kenny but it was never going to to begin with. You can bet if Brendan wins a trophy in one of the domestic cups they will come out of hiding to proudly proclaim his glory in winning silverware though.  So yes, I think it matters to them to the extent that it serves their agenda (i.e. to win with "their" manager).

I honestly find it a bit funny that people are thinking FSG will give him the sack.

Brendan is giving FSG exactly what they want....the problem is not Brendan it is that people do not understand FSG's timetable and that timetable is not this season nor next to be honest.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #23983: Jan 28, 2015 06:24:51 pm
      I honestly find it a bit funny that people are thinking FSG will give him the sack.

Brendan is giving FSG exactly what they want....the problem is not Brendan it is that people do not understand FSG's timetable and that timetable is not this season nor next to be honest.

Doesn't matter if you arrive there quicker than planned does it? Even if you do then you should be judged on that and your ability to stay there and beyond no? Not allowed to go back because you are ahead of schedule?

I'm not saying that from a position of wanting him gone at all but it seems backward logic that just because you get there early then you are still judged on that original timescale and allowed that year or twos leeway to come away and start the process again

Yes there are outside factors which have made this season harder than it could have been, and as a fan I can see that and understand it but from an owner point of view I'd imagine that even if you get there early it's then a new sit down meeting and readjust those targets.. Not resting on the laurels
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23984: Jan 28, 2015 06:51:34 pm
      Doesn't matter if you arrive there quicker than planned does it? Even if you do then you should be judged on that and your ability to stay there and beyond no? Not allowed to go back because you are ahead of schedule?

I'm not saying that from a position of wanting him gone at all but it seems backward logic that just because you get there early then you are still judged on that original timescale and allowed that year or twos leeway to come away and start the process again

Yes there are outside factors which have made this season harder than it could have been, and as a fan I can see that and understand it but from an owner point of view I'd imagine that even if you get there early it's then a new sit down meeting and readjust those targets.. Not resting on the laurels

IMO FSG's timetable for really winning consides with Anfield and revenue streams.

In the interim I believe the idea has been to totally replace and rebuild the squad, academy and pretty much everything else at the club and then to culminate sometime in 2017/2018.

While they are waiting BR job is  put in the philosophy build an efficient machine and bring in players that fit the profile. His mandate for the time being is to keep the club at or near the top 4 while play exciting football that is a pleasure to watch.

You ask if it matter that we arrived early...I don't think it matters to FSG as long as the early arrival does not cost them more during this time.

The Suarez money was used more than anything to rebuild the abysmal quality of the bench and to build the spine of the team for that 2017/2018 time frame.

In the meantime..higher earners...Agger, Pepe, etc...are not really needed now are they? the goal is 2017/2018 why pay extra now when Sahko & Simon cost less?

At the end of last season when BR came out and said "we are ahead of schedule" that was the key that he and FSG knew (even before the first ball was kicked) this season was not going to be like the last and in the end 2013/2014 was a nice surprise distraction.

This is purely my speculation of course but I venture to guess its not far off from the truth, the supporters and most people want to win now...FSG does not care about the "now"

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #23985: Jan 28, 2015 07:54:56 pm
      AZPatriot

IMO FSG's timetable for really winning consides with Anfield and revenue streams.

So their initial plan is to earn as much as they can before they make us successful?.

In the interim I believe the idea has been to totally replace and rebuild the squad, academy and pretty much everything else at the club and then to culminate sometime in 2017/2018.

We had all this in place with some household names working behind the scenes ( Borrell,Segura,McParland), why disrupt all that to restart from scratch again?, makes no sense.

While they are waiting BR job is  put in the philosophy build an efficient machine and bring in players that fit the profile. His mandate for the time being is to keep the club at or near the top 4 while play exciting football that is a pleasure to watch.

Club near top 4 with exciting football?, that's not what I expect from my club & team, I expect us to challenge on all fronts even if we have to play ugly doing so.

This Arsenal model we are following will not yield results we crave.

You ask if it matter that we arrived early...I don't think it matters to FSG as long as the early arrival does not cost them more during this time.

Well it certainly cost us this season, having arriving early or ahead of schedule we sold our star player who helped get us there & then we pretty limped out of the champions league.

What exactly were the reasons why Kenny got sacked?.

The Suarez money was used more than anything to rebuild the abysmal quality of the bench and to build the spine of the team for that 2017/2018 time frame.

Abysmal?, that abysmal team won us a trophy, having spent over £200 million or so we should be walking all competitions.

In the meantime..higher earners...Agger, Pepe, etc...are not really needed now are they? the goal is 2017/2018 why pay extra now when Sahko & Simon cost less?

Yeah why pay extra?, Lovren cost £20 million, Mignolet £9 million, compared to what Agger cost £6 million & Reina £6 million too, I know which I would rather have.

At the end of last season when BR came out and said "we are ahead of schedule" that was the key that he and FSG knew (even before the first ball was kicked) this season was not going to be like the last and in the end 2013/2014 was a nice surprise distraction.

Or fluke?

This is purely my speculation of course but I venture to guess its not far off from the truth, the supporters and most people want to win now...FSG does not care about the "now"

Well if they don't care about the now how about selling up and allow owners who are willing to put their "own" cash into the club and help restore us back on top?, that's what us supporters want now!.

« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2015 08:16:36 pm by Shabs »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #23986: Jan 28, 2015 08:08:08 pm
      So their initial plan is to earn as much as they can before they make us successful?.

We had all this in place with some household names working behind the scenes ( Borrell,Segura,McParland), why disrupt all that to restart from scratch again?, makes no sense.

Club near top 4 with exciting football?, that's not what I expect from my club & team, I expect us to challenge on all fronts even if we have to play ugly doing so.

Well it certainly cost us this season, having arriving early or ahead of schedule we sold our star player who helped get us there & then we pretty limped out of the champions league.

Abysmal?, that abysmal team won us a trophy, having spent over £200 million or so we should be walking all competitions.

Yeah why pay extra?, Lovren cost £20 million, Mignolet £9 million, compared to what Agger cost £6 million & Reina £6 million too, I know which I would rather have.

Or fluke?

Well if they don't care about the now how about selling up and allow owners who are willing to put their "own" cash into the club and help restore us back on top?, that's what us supporters want now!.

Whom are you quoting?

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #23987: Jan 28, 2015 08:17:02 pm

AZ, don't know what's happened there.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23988: Jan 28, 2015 08:24:13 pm
      I can try to answer with my opinions Shab but that is all they are..I might be totally wrong..either way try to breathe when you post mate.

So IMO from FSG's standpoint

I believe the plan is not to overspend on players until that 2017/2018..with a good spine made up of 24-26 year old players that have played together for 3-4 years then I don't think they will have issue in buying the "big name' or two to round out the squad.

That is all in the past...I think BR is there guy...I think the planning/restructuring of the club is his and everyone from the old days means nothing.

Do you truly think they give a toss about what you or I want or expect?

Well the "Star" player wanted to go..so that is that and there is no dispute...and Kenny was never ever the long term plan now was he? Kenny was the supporters choice, BR was the owners choice..and quite frankly that discussion has been done and dusted so many times that the dust rag has holes in it from over dusting.

This is the team that had the worst league point total in how many years? We had Charlie Adam, Andy Caroll and Stuart Downing starting with Cole, Aurelio and the like of Jay Spearing and Jonjo coming off the bench.

Take this years squad and give it Suarez and I would venture to guess it would knock the living sh*t out of the 2011/2012 side..sorry if that makes you upset but that is what I think.

Wages ..wages and wages...why pay wages for something that is not going to happen until 2017/2018? those guys are were not going to be around then anyway.

Little bit of coaching, little bit of fluke...the proverbial catching lightning in a bottle you can call it anything you like I guess.

Once again why would they sell now when the future is bright? and why do you think they care about what the supporters want now?

I don't disagree with you on any of your points Shabs, I truly believe this is what the mindset of FSG is.

Quick Reply