Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3048241 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #27347: Apr 25, 2015 12:17:02 am
      Of course it could accomplish something if a new manager bought some of his players and got more out of them than Brendan seems to have done with Lovren, Lallana and Lambert.

I simply do not accept that if we changed managers nothing could possibly change.

I'm not saying it defintely would but to say it wouldn't means that Brendan should be here until the end of time no matter what.

It's a pathetic statement mate, just look at how relegation form teams can get turned around so quickly, like when we installed Kenny at the helm.

Just look at what Klopp has managed to buy on less net spend and less wages.

Just look what Simeone is managing at Atletico.

Look what Sherwood is doing to Villa :lmao:

To suggest changing the manager will not accomplish anything is a ridiculous statement. Of course it could get worse, it could stay the same or it could get better but the chances are managed by choosing the right person. I'd bet if we got Klopp we'd finish "comfortably in the top 4" either next season or the season after and remain there while also managing to handle the overwhelming task of Champions League football and domestic football at the same time.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #27348: Apr 25, 2015 12:19:12 am
      F***ing shame Rodgers never treated the Villa game as a semi-final ;)

Maybe the expectation got to him ;)
      The problem is we have no expectations any more , it's rotten at the top and has made it's way down to the dressing room .

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #27349: Apr 25, 2015 12:20:15 am
      I'm not defending Rodgers, you seem to be missing the point on that, I'm criticising club policy and structure and stating categorically that it would not make the slightest difference who is manager whilst the structure and policy exists.

I haven't missed your point mate, just disagreed with it.

I would argue that there is as much chance a different manager would make a difference, even under the current structure, as he wouldn't.

As I said there is no guarantee a new manager would make a difference but it is also silly to suggest no manager could possibly do any better given the current circumstances.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #27350: Apr 25, 2015 12:34:31 am
      I haven't missed your point mate, just disagreed with it.

I would argue that there is as much chance a different manager would make a difference, even under the current structure, as he wouldn't.

As I said there is no guarantee a new manager would make a difference but it is also silly to suggest no manager could possibly do any better given the current circumstances.
      Rodgers is a nobody in  the international footballing world , we need a manager that can draw the top players to Anfield and with the money Rodgers spent in the summer on 9 players a  world class manager would have got 4-5 top drawer players for the same amount . He's out of his depth .

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #27351: Apr 25, 2015 12:45:59 am
      It must feel like, 'coming out the closet' on here for some.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #27352: Apr 25, 2015 12:50:36 am
      nah mate i was always out of the closet on Rodgers , we deserve better than this and patience is running out .

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #27353: Apr 25, 2015 12:54:43 am
      so Steve Nicol wants us to go for Klopp....

guess he's not a real supporter....
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #27354: Apr 25, 2015 01:03:08 am
      “What we believe, and we continue to follow, is you need many people involved in the process. That doesn’t mean somebody else is picking the team for Brendan but Brendan needs to set out with his team of people which positions we want to fill and what the key targets would be for that.

I think everyone knew this? But what worries me is that Rodgers and his team highlighted 2 key areas that we needed to priorities in the summer, CB & Attack mid, positions that we didn't need to waste huge amounts of money on.

“Despite what people think and read, it’s not a whole bunch of guys sitting behind a computer working out who we should buy. It’s a combination of old-school scouting and watching players – and that’s Brendan, his assistants, our scouts – with statistical analysis of players across Europe and the rest of the world.

Old school scouting & watching players eh? More like new school scouting by watching players on YouTube. The whole team needs to be dismantled, we need footballing scouts & manager to make the decisions.

"By bringing those two processes together you get a much more educated view of who you should and shouldn’t be buying and, perhaps as fundamentally, how much you should be paying and the structure to those contracts.

I am not a fan of bringing footballing stats into the equation and for the people involved in it to have a say when we're purchasing a player, especially when it determines their fee and wages. I take stats with a pinch of salt as they neglect so much footballing information. Only useful stats for me is the physical side of things. This process needs to be binned in my opinion.

Brendan Rodgers will likely be focusing on young additions rather than marquee signings in the summer(Getty)

Young additions, how young? We have shown we'll pay 20m+ for 24-27 year olds. As for marquee signings, what exactly do they consider marquee signings? World class players in their peak? If so, no thanks, too expensive and usually too old for my liking, especially when you could get exceptional players that would cost much less and are usually younger.

"When we talk about a financial prudency and managing the football club in the best way we can with what we have got, then that does mean investing in younger players some of the time that will cost less money to buy but give us better long-term value," he told the Liverpool Echo.

Absolutely agree with this, but unfortunately, we have failed in the scouting department.

So basically, Rodgers, like every other manager in the world get's help, be it from scouts, assistant or a committee, nothing we already didn't know. The other process is where Rodgers & committee discuss players from their findings and decide which would be the best option for the team, again, I'm sure all managers consult their findings with their staff. Finally, after which, Rodgers get's the final say, like all managers should?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #27355: Apr 25, 2015 01:19:06 am
      Just imagine what Shankly and Paisley would have achieved had they had the computers and scouting network that Rodgers has at his disposal .Let alone the money he's spent .
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #27356: Apr 25, 2015 01:31:44 am
      Just imagine what Shankly and Paisley would have achieved had they had the computers and scouting network that Rodgers has at his disposal .Let alone the money he's spent .

Shankly didn't win a title or trophy for six years. People on this forum and the media would be calling for his head after that length of time and he'd have been sacked long before we got to our third title.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #27357: Apr 25, 2015 02:32:18 am
      If Klopp were interested in us, does anyone think FSG wouldn't try to make it happen?
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #27358: Apr 25, 2015 02:34:44 am
      There is of course another scenario which isn't being discussed or even considered. That is that this is the pain which the club has to go through in order for the FSG grand plan to work. I mean to say, the likes of Moreno, Can, Markovic etc etc are all 20 years of age, as is Sterling, Ibe maybe 19. Now it's reasonable to assume that all of them will be better players in three years time than they are now. Perhaps then we can do some Chelsea style selling off and re-recruiting with a relatively low net spend.

Quick note: I'M NOT SAYING I AGREE WITH THE POLICY, I'M JUST TRYING TO UDERSTAND IT. NEITHER AM I SAYING I THINK WE SHOULD KEEP BRENDAN BECAUSE HE'D BE THE BEST AT PUTTING THE PLAN INTO ACTION. I HAVE NO IDEA WHO'D BE THE BEST AT PUTTING THIS PARTICULAR PLAN INTO ACTION.

Chelsea spent near a billion unanswered dollars to be able to be in a position where they can trade like for like.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #27359: Apr 25, 2015 03:08:17 am
      Shankly didn't win a title or trophy for six years. People on this forum and the media would be calling for his head after that length of time and he'd have been sacked long before we got to our third title.

Nobody wants to acknowledge this but you are 100% correct.

Just imagine what would have happened if there were internet forums, twitter, youtube, 24 hour sport networks.

Probably never would have had a chance to accomplish much of anything Shankly would have been canned and taken Sir Bob with him.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #27360: Apr 25, 2015 03:49:46 am
      Chelsea spent near a billion unanswered dollars to be able to be in a position where they can trade like for like.

Really? F*cking hell who'd have thought it?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #27361: Apr 25, 2015 03:54:05 am

It's truly shocking. I haven't been as amazed since George Michael stopped stuffing shuttlecocks down his tennis shorts and announced he'd been gay all along.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #27362: Apr 25, 2015 05:59:02 am
      Realise for Gawds sake exactly what they are up against, and don't lose sight of how difficult things are with our current restraints. If ANY MANAGER can get us back into the top four anytime soon, they are doing a fine job. If they have us fifth next season, they haven't "failed", it's about as good as we can sensibly expect.

Yet you always say Rafa failed in his last season and surely he was up against a lot more than FSGs limitations.

Oh and of course Mourinho has been part of teams who bought success to say otherwise is ridiculous.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #27363: Apr 25, 2015 07:37:19 am
      Let's just hope he sets out an aggressive, attacking team from the off today - with a clear plan. The players need to do their bits then.

That should be his immediate focus.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,333 posts | 281 
      Reply #27364: Apr 25, 2015 08:34:00 am
      Im worried that we would be out of the frying pan etc. if we change manager, there is no guarantee that Klopp would be a success. We know what we'd get with Rafa but he wouldn't work under FSG restraints. I don't see what BR going will acheive although I'm 60/40 on him Tbh.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #27365: Apr 25, 2015 08:34:32 am

Would they really though?

We hadn't won a single thing in almost 12 years before Shankly arrived. Nothing. So I'd guess expectation was a lower.

He changed the mentality within the club to the winning one we still have today.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #27366: Apr 25, 2015 08:38:56 am
      Duey, like i said, my only recourse with FSG is hiring Rodgers in the first place. That covers everything.

Give your arse a chance will ya.
      At least use words in their correct context.
      « Last Edit: Apr 25, 2015 09:13:33 am by stuey »
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #27367: Apr 25, 2015 08:46:00 am
      The problem is we have no expectations any more , it's rotten at the top and has made it's way down to the dressing room .

Can't disagree with that. It starts with the top.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #27368: Apr 25, 2015 09:23:20 am
      He says plenty of things to suggest he doesn't agree with the policy and committee as well mate.

You say I'm guessing but I'm sorry by you simply buying what you see you are being slightly naive.

I'm not saying you should like the manager, if you wNt him sacked then I have no problem with that as it's your choice but you can't say others are 100% wrong in their reading of it and you are 100 % right when you don't know either.

The committee wouldn't be there if there wasn't a watering down of responsibility in player recruitment

It's that simple
      Your apsolutely right mate , i don't know for sure what the commitee does. So i have to base my case on what i'm being told by the manager. If he actually said " i am shown  a pool of players and told you must choose from these" then i would share the blame more evenly.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #27369: Apr 25, 2015 09:32:29 am
      When did I say they tell him who to sign? The majority of the time he will be given a list of players to choose from, players that the committee have agreed fit the bill, and represent value for money.
      There are also times when Brendan has chosen his own players too.

What I posted shits all over your statement that Brendan is solely responsible for the players we bring in. You're wrong!!!!

But as I said, carry on making a prat out of yourself with your factually incorrect agenda!
      Do you see how your guessing again?
      Now if you had finished that post saying " well thats what i think anyway, even though i don't know for sure"  then fair dinkum.

Quick Reply