Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3048294 times
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #27416: Apr 25, 2015 05:38:10 pm
      "We created opportunities, our only downfall was taking those chances but that has been a problem over the course of the season. I thought the players were outstanding, their courage and play on the ball. Across the team there were some outstanding performances.

"We have a game in hand and we have to chase that and fight for that but if the players play like they did today nine times out of 10 they would win. We will take this confidence into the midweek game.

"We have to rely on other teams, but we can only do our job and that is still the plan."

I give up.

The man is living in a different world than ours, he's a disgrace.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,460 posts | 4587 
      Reply #27417: Apr 25, 2015 05:41:36 pm

Disgrace is not the word I would use to describe our Boss, bit unwarranted.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #27418: Apr 25, 2015 05:43:25 pm
      Really don't know what is expected of the manager, what is he to say?
      Played like a team of second-rate signings.
      The potential is there.
      You get what you pay for.
      The owner's prudence is breaking my balls.

A credible argument goes with any of those statements.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #27419: Apr 25, 2015 05:47:05 pm

Agree.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #27420: Apr 25, 2015 05:50:18 pm

The man and I use the word advisedly, wants F***ing off, not a Liverpool supporter.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #27421: Apr 25, 2015 05:51:56 pm

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #27422: Apr 25, 2015 05:52:08 pm
      Really don't know what is expected of the manager, what is he to say?
      Played like a team of second-rate signings.
      The potential is there.
      You get what you pay for.
      The owner's prudence is breaking my balls.

A credible argument goes with any of those statements.

Do we not expect to beat the likes of West Brom now Stuey?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #27423: Apr 25, 2015 05:55:07 pm
      'f**k these tards' really?

It's a fact that Klopp has delivered success on less resources than we have, both wages and net spend. Why would it be retarded to believe that he could have similar success under less restrictive conditions?
      Yeah buddy "F**k these tards"...  >:D

We seem to be at crossed purposes here but I can assure you I'm not ridiculing anyone for liking the idea of Klopp as boss (far from it, I have no issue with the man) - just those can not understand that FSG dictate transfer policy and can not bring themselves to accept that, until FSG change that policy, Brendan Rodgers, Jürgen Klopp or anyone else, will be operating under restrictions. And that, by default, can not be what's best for the football team.

As for Klopp at Dortmund - again, no issue.

He too was working under restrictions - the fact that Dortmund 'couldn't', rather than 'wouldn't'  doesn't change that. The outcome, for him, was the same as if they "wouldn't". That is what I was trying to say (rather cack-handedly, it seems).

Just to be clear (as it seems to have been lost in translation) - no issue with Klopp, no issue with anyone wishing for him... Issue with a transfer policy/business model which restricts the manager (whoever that may be) in doing his best.  :)

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #27424: Apr 25, 2015 05:59:26 pm

I was referring to the allusions made to his post-match comments Si, of course we would hope to beat teams of that calibre but to publicly damn the whole team for not doing so is not the way to go.
      If he had done such a thing the manager would have well deserved such vitriol.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #27425: Apr 25, 2015 06:02:36 pm

He's the type of fan that helds the club back, we're Liverpool FC, we expect to be challenging for trophies, let alone not winning or outplaying sides like WBA or Aston Villa, this is one of the reasons this fantastic club didn't win a title for so long, because fans are happy if a manager guides us to 2nd place once in a while, praising him like he's won the UCL, like we are a small club and he overachieved with us.

I believe every other top manager around last year would have won the title with us, but because we had in charge such an inexperienced one, we fu**ed up when it mattered the most, and where we should have used the brain, settling for a 0-0 draw against Chelsea, not chasing the game like we needed to recover a lead, Gerrard's slip wouldn't have happened if we had a defender covering him and not playing with the defence 40 yards from our goal.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #27426: Apr 25, 2015 06:03:02 pm
      Wasn't comparing them mate, was pointing out not being able to buy and refusing to buy get you the same thing - nothing.
      Thank F**k someone got it...

A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read - Dickens.

It's the same thing... a club who won't has no advantage over a club who can't.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #27427: Apr 25, 2015 06:09:22 pm
      I want him to be given another season partly because changing managers is always disruptive but also because there are mitigating circumstances behind this season. Let's deal in facts rather than bullshit, shall we?

His first season started poorly but the club admitted that they didn't even have a transfer system in place when Rodgers took over so the Summer was a disaster. Once it was put in place we bought Sturridge and Coutinho, two players who made a real difference. The previous season we finished 8th on 52 points, seventeen points behind 4th place. This season we finished 7th on 61 points - nine points higher than the previous season before he took over, three points higher than the season before that.

His second season started well and went from strength to strength as the season wore on. However, yet again we missed out on our top targets in the Summer - we wanted Henrikh Mkhitaryan, we ended up with Iago Aspas. Nonetheless, we finished the season in second place on 84 points, only three points from winning the title.

His third season starts with the star striker (Suarez) wanting out to Barcelona. Our top target was Alexis Sanchez but like the Summer before, we miss out on the main target and end up with Balotelli, a very good player wholly unsuited for our style of play. To add insult to injury we then loose Sturridge to injury and the season has just gone from bad to worse. Then the icing on the cake of a player giving unauthorised interviews, smoking bongs, inhaling laughing gas and demanding to be one of, if not the highest paid player at the club.

Nonetheless, there's a common theme running through this season which today demonstrated once more - a lack of goals. This lack of goals is hardly Brendan Rodgers' fault and regardless of how you feel about him, any fair minded person will agree on that. We still have five games left of this season and are only four points off exceeding his first season's points haul. Despite mitigating circumstances of loosing our two top strikers and failing to land our top transfers for a third season running, there is a empirical upwards trend to our points under Rodgers.

The real test comes in a season where we don't suffer from injuries and we do score goals. A season where there are no mitigating circumstances where we can judge Brendan's true calibre as a manager. Can he improve on this season's points tally? Can we finish higher in the table than we will this year? Can we break in to the top four once more? If he goes now there will always be that shadow of doubt if the next manager does better. Would the next manager have done as well if he'd had the problems Brendan has this season? Would Brendan have done as well as the next manager if he'd remained in charge? If next season there are no mitigating circumstances then no doubtful shadows can be cast.

Obviously the dickheads who criticise his teeth and his tan aren't going to give him that chance but who give's a sh*t, they're morons and their replies aren't wanted. The rest of us should be more considered in our judgement of this season, especially given the upwards trend in points since he took over (this season the exception) and compared to year on year since FSG took over.

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #27428: Apr 25, 2015 06:32:52 pm
      I want him to be given another season partly because changing managers is always disruptive but also because there are mitigating circumstances behind this season. Let's deal in facts rather than bullshit, shall we?

His first season started poorly but the club admitted that they didn't even have a transfer system in place when Rodgers took over so the Summer was a disaster. Once it was put in place we bought Sturridge and Coutinho, two players who made a real difference. The previous season we finished 8th on 52 points, seventeen points behind 4th place. This season we finished 7th on 61 points - nine points higher than the previous season before he took over, three points higher than the season before that.

His second season started well and went from strength to strength as the season wore on. However, yet again we missed out on our top targets in the Summer - we wanted Henrikh Mkhitaryan, we ended up with Iago Aspas. Nonetheless, we finished the season in second place on 84 points, only three points from winning the title.

His third season starts with the star striker (Suarez) wanting out to Barcelona. Our top target was Alexis Sanchez but like the Summer before, we miss out on the main target and end up with Balotelli, a very good player wholly unsuited for our style of play. To add insult to injury we then loose Sturridge to injury and the season has just gone from bad to worse. Then the icing on the cake of a player giving unauthorised interviews, smoking bongs, inhaling laughing gas and demanding to be one of, if not the highest paid player at the club.

Nonetheless, there's a common theme running through this season which today demonstrated once more - a lack of goals. This lack of goals is hardly Brendan Rodgers' fault and regardless of how you feel about him, any fair minded person will agree on that. We still have five games left of this season and are only four points off exceeding his first season's points haul. Despite mitigating circumstances of loosing our two top strikers and failing to land our top transfers for a third season running, there is a empirical upwards trend to our points under Rodgers.

The real test comes in a season where we don't suffer from injuries and we do score goals. A season where there are no mitigating circumstances where we can judge Brendan's true calibre as a manager. Can he improve on this season's points tally? Can we finish higher in the table than we will this year? Can we break in to the top four once more? If he goes now there will always be that shadow of doubt if the next manager does better. Would the next manager have done as well if he'd had the problems Brendan has this season? Would Brendan have done as well as the next manager if he'd remained in charge? If next season there are no mitigating circumstances then no doubtful shadows can be cast.

Obviously the dickheads who criticise his teeth and his tan aren't going to give him that chance but who give's a sh*t, they're morons and their replies aren't wanted. The rest of us should be more considered in our judgement of this season, especially given the upwards trend in points since he took over (this season the exception) and compared to year on year since FSG took over.

On the flip side though mate what happens if we are just as bad or worse than this season though?

That is something we cannot afford and it could set us back years.

I'd imagine that another season like this one will have the only good players we have likely wanting a move away too.

Can we afford to gamble that everything may come good?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #27429: Apr 25, 2015 06:47:33 pm

2014-2015 scorers

Rank Pos.    No.    Premier                 League    FA     Fizzy Europe    Total
      1    MF    31    Raheem Sterling    7    1    3    0       11
      2    MF    8    Steven Gerrard            6    2    0    2       10
      3    MF    10    Philippe Coutinho    4    3    0    0       7
      4      MF    14    Jordan Henderson    6    0    0    1       7
                                             -----

2013-2014 scorers

Rank    Pos.    No.    Premier              League    FA    Fizzy       Total
      1    FW    7    Luis Suárez       31            0    0          31
      2    FW    15    Daniel Sturridge            21            1    2          24
      3    MF    8    Steven Gerrard       13            1    0          14
      4    MF    31    Raheem Sterling    9            0    1          10
                                                       -----

Speaks for itself. No *striker* in top4 2014-2015 leading scorers. Unbelievable really.
      Very hard to challenge when you're hands are tied up front.
      Who tied them - well, was it BRs choice not to bring in better quality than we did up front? I find that hard to believe . Particularly with comments that came out that they'd like to have signed Costa/Cesc etc.    Lambo was backup. Balo was a last minute whythefuckdidtheyleaveit so late buy.  Borini a f**king shitpile people for some reason see potential in.

Can only hope we fix that next season ... clearout Balo and Borini, possible Lambert too, and bring in some better players.
      Costa scored 20 for Chavs this year. Remy who didn't get much of a look, and wasn't medically up to playing at Anfield, got 7!  Goals=27 from just 2 new signings.
      We fix that, and if defense can replicate what we did on our good run recently, we'll be back in the running, I have NO doubt. BR has proven what he can do with attacking football and strikers who know where the f**king net is.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #27430: Apr 25, 2015 06:50:42 pm
      One more season Brendan to prove to us that last seasons success wasn't entirely down to one player.

If next season is more of the same as this one it's time to step down and give another manager a shot with the players we have.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #27431: Apr 25, 2015 07:07:18 pm
      Agree with the above post, chopping and changing managers is not the Liverpool way of doing things. Brendan deserves next season to prove himself.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #27432: Apr 25, 2015 07:12:09 pm
      Agree with the above post, chopping and changing managers is not the Liverpool way of doing things. Brendan deserves next season to prove himself.

The 'Liverpool Way' has seen us go without a league title in 25 years. We need to be ruthless, we've gone backwards and our team have become a bunch of pussies, with a ridiculously weak mentality.

I fail to see why he 'deserves' another season when he's achieved F**k all with us. I don't actively want him out, but equally I wouldn't be too upset if he was shown the door.

The problems lie hire up than the manager though and that's where action needs to be taken.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #27433: Apr 25, 2015 07:19:35 pm
      Last season wasn't a bad effort though admittedly we had Suarez and Sturridge firing on all cylinders. Although I except your point.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #27434: Apr 25, 2015 07:25:11 pm

We seem to be at crossed purposes here but I can assure you I'm not ridiculing anyone for liking the idea of Klopp as boss (far from it, I have no issue with the man) - just those can not understand that FSG dictate transfer policy and can not bring themselves to accept that, until FSG change that policy, Brendan Rodgers, Jürgen Klopp or anyone else, will be operating under restrictions. And that, by default, can not be what's best for the football team.

Fair enough, that I agree with.

He too was working under restrictions - the fact that Dortmund 'couldn't', rather than 'wouldn't'  doesn't change that. The outcome, for him, was the same as if they "wouldn't". That is what I was trying to say (rather cack-handedly, it seems).

See this is where I disagree with you mate, I can accept couldn't and have great admiration and respect for the way Klopp and Dortmund went about their business and even though they couldn't, they did indeed find a way to succeed. In this case the team that couldn't are moving their way up the food chain to a place where they almost can.

Much like your Dickens reference mate, there is little difference between the man who wouldn't read and the man who couldn't but in Dortmund's case they are essentially teaching themselves to read to the point at which they can and then the difference will be very clear indeed.
      RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #27435: Apr 25, 2015 07:27:32 pm
      I don't post often but I feel i want to air my opinion. I fully support any LFC manager whilst he is in the seat. There are a number of factors that need to be considered when judging Brendan I feel.

1. This not the same league that united ran away with for years. Many teams are very difficult to beat. Any team on their day are capable of beating anyone. Villa are not a sure bet like they were in years gone by. Look at the city result. They just barely got a result at home after spending billions.

2. Changing managers will not guarantee any chnge .Teams spend millions getting players and world class managers still can't win cups or titles.

3. I don't think " mitigating " circumstances is a valid argument when it comes to judging our manager and if he should be given another season. What happens if couthinho got injured for most of next year and Henderson takes some laughing gas. My point is every manager has to deal with mitigating circumstances in a season, rarely is a season perfect. When it is we see how close we can come based on last year.

My conclusion would be that spending money doesn't guarantee success, a manager doesn't guarantee success but with one or two world stars ( Suarez last year) and a good run of luck you can " compete" and challenge. This is what I think Brendan should be judged on. When he has the world stars and things are going well , to we compete? Me personally I think we need to stick with the manager, hope that the owners open their wallet and sign one or two stars and we challenge again next year. Then we dream again:-)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #27436: Apr 25, 2015 07:38:21 pm

The liverpool way "Mediocrity is par for the course"

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #27437: Apr 25, 2015 07:40:47 pm
      On the flip side though mate what happens if we are just as bad or worse than this season though?

That is something we cannot afford and it could set us back years.

I'd imagine that another season like this one will have the only good players we have likely wanting a move away too.

Can we afford to gamble that everything may come good?

There are no guarantees either way but the trend doesn't suggest it will. All statistical evidence suggests this season is a blip because of loosing both our main strikers (regardless of reasons behind that which people will argue over all day) and yet, with the exception of last season, we are still likely to finish with a higher points tally than any season in the last seven years. But hey, perhaps the next manager will be an Albino with bad teeth.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #27438: Apr 25, 2015 07:45:41 pm
      The man and I use the word advisedly, wants f**king off, not a Liverpool supporter.

Well if Brendan Rodgers is not even a Liverpool supporter then we may have the main problem right there! ;-)

In all seriousness who agrees with the boss that that performance was outstanding? If not then please stop supporting this delusional fool, he is doing real harm to the club with these ridiculous media soundbites, he's making us a laughing stock. The manager needs F***ing off and we need to either get Klopp or Benitez.

Quick Reply