Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3049012 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #30797: May 26, 2015 10:01:07 am
      After the sh*t show and now, the calm after the storm. Im thinking. What if Brendan can turn this around?

• What if we he can do better next season?
        What if we get Benteke for 30 million, Sturridge is fit all season, and Balotelli gets his thumb out his butt and starts performing?
        What if Lovern improves?
        What if Lallana stays fit?
        What if Coutinho keeps killin it, starts playing more centrally like he did last season, we get a great DM?

What if next season is a lot better?

I'm willing to give Brendan a chance.

The other options are slim pickings tbh.

Rafas' going to Real, Ancellotti just got sacked and is going on holiday, Klopp had a season as bad as ours at Dortmund and was going to be sacked anyways. If he had the same season he had with Dortmund with us, people would be talking about #KloppOut

Football is like life. You have difficult times, and you have failures. The hope is you learn from them and move on.

If we get Benteke for 30m then I'll lose the will to live! If indeed we do pay that much for him then Brendan clearly hasn't learned anything and we'll end up 5th/6th again.

Edit: If Brendan was to turn it around then he better start with people being played in their proper positions.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30798: May 26, 2015 10:06:10 am
      There is never going to be a better time to replace the man. Fans are on side, players appear to have rejected him, he has failed this season and there are upgrades available... if interested.

Would love to see Ancellotti come in and Carra or Sami be his no.2 for 3 years.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,439 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #30799: May 26, 2015 10:09:04 am
      That's a good point, didn't consider that. I also didn't hear Perez say the next manager would speak Spanish, so perhaps it is Rafa. Fair play, it's a job he has always wanted.

I just wish FSG would confirm the position on Rodgers now rather than keeping us all guessing. Sadly, I'm not feeling overly optimistic about this summer or next season. It's a hollow feeling.

The same Perez who was asked what Ancelloti did wrong answered 'I don't know', good luck Rafa ! The press are mumbling already AS, described him as being seen as too tactical.

Anyway it looks like Brendan is staying so time to get behind him and hope the owners do as well.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1775 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30800: May 26, 2015 10:20:43 am
      There is never going to be a better time to replace the man. Fans are on side, players appear to have rejected him, he has failed this season and there are upgrades available... if interested.

Would love to see Ancellotti come in and Carra or Sami be his no.2 for 3 years.

In an ideal boot room style world, I would love Carra as no.1 with Fowler & Hyppia as his assitants, and bring in gerrard Houlier as Director of football, or just as good, give kenny some power as director, rather than just an empty title.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #30801: May 26, 2015 10:25:34 am
      But if we go with a DoF i do hope its with the intention of being a long term strategy and the DoF should decide the manager.

This is the only way a DOF can work in my opinion. If you are going to use an American sports model (GM and HC) used in the majority of their sports then it makes sense to let the first guy in hire the 2nd guy. Least that way you can guarantee they are on the same page. Otherwise you could have a situation where the DOF wants one player (who may fit a certain style of play) but the manager doesn't really see him fitting in.

Does anyone really think we have even the slightest chance of bringing in a Klopp or Ancelotti should FSG decide to release Brendan?

If you do I think you need your heads checking.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #30802: May 26, 2015 10:52:19 am
      I think he will stay got that horrible feeling the captain of the titanic had , ive took the piss for years out of my manc mate saying that I have seen them relegated Iin my life time  our form beginning of and end of season was exactly that relegation material simply no where near good enough.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1775 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30803: May 26, 2015 11:11:15 am
      I think he will stay got that horrible feeling the captain of the titanic had , ive took the piss for years out of my manc mate saying that I have seen them relegated Iin my life time  our form beginning of and end of season was exactly that relegation material simply no where near good enough.

If he stays and we start as poorly as last season, I reckon he will walk. Talk that the meeting in next week or so, will basically say, you are here again next season and onwards, but we can't afford another sh1te season like this, but he still has to work under the FSG constraints, he might well turn round and say, then Im off, cos it can't be done under these contraints.

We will know for sure in next week or so.
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Reply #30804: May 26, 2015 11:18:18 am
      If he stays and we start as poorly as last season, I reckon he will walk. Talk that the meeting in next week or so, will basically say, you are here again next season and onwards, but we can't afford another sh1te season like this, but he still has to work under the FSG constraints, he might well turn round and say, then Im off, cos it can't be done under these contraints.

We will know for sure in next week or so.

I think that is the scariest prospect of all. Given the current situation I doubt FSG will back him in transfers.
      If they keep him he will be under immense pressure from the first kick off. A couple of bad results and the
      fans will turn.

I was on the fence until a few weeks ago, but now, I think the safest bet is to sack him. If we get in someone
      else, let them choose a few players the season will start with a clean slate.

I was never that anti-FSG, they seem to be doing a good job off the pitch. However, enough is enough, we are
      not attracting players we are losing them. I doubt we will attract a top manager with the setup as it stands.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #30805: May 26, 2015 11:19:22 am
      Well he won't have too many worries over player quality, wage or transfer fee constraints so the trophies should come flooding in at Real; right?
       :couch:

300m Euros spent in two seasons and still hasn't won the league. I guess that makes Ancelotti a poor manager...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #30806: May 26, 2015 11:24:00 am
      What if we get Benteke for 30 million

We'll have wasted £30M that's what will happen.

The player doesn't fit with the managers style and the only way that deal makes any sense is if we have a new manager. And even at that there are countless strikers I'd have before even thinking about spending a penny on Benteke.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #30807: May 26, 2015 11:24:20 am
      He deserves his dream Madrid Job as well.

Gonna be tough, cos I really don't like Madrid, esp. while that little manc tw*t Ronaldo is still there.

I honestly don't know why anyone would want that job, poisoned chalice to the core. Unless the manager wins the CL and the League every year, the horrid supporters/board won't get off their back. Don't like that team at all. No class.

In an ideal boot room style world, I would love Carra as no.1 with Fowler & Hyppia as his assitants, and bring in gerrard Houlier as Director of football, or just as good, give kenny some power as director, rather than just an empty title.

Whatever happens next year, be it BR stays or a new manager comss in, I think Carra should be no2. Not since Sammy Lee or Tommo have we had that kind of passionate personality in the sidelines. Looking at this team, pretty much every player needs a kick up the backside and the occasional bollocking. Carra's the man to do it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #30808: May 26, 2015 11:28:45 am
      If the club went down the Director of Football route can think of no better man than Kenny for that role.

I'd like to know why you think this mate?

Kenny wouldn't be anywhere near my list for DOF as he has said in the past that negotiating contracts and the like isn't stuff he enjoys doing and he has no experience in the role of running a football club and shaping that strategy.

Like Crouch said above I want a DoF/Sporting Director to come in and totally shape the football at the club and he is the man to hire the manager or at least agree to who the owners want to hire.

Kenny is not that man for me.

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #30809: May 26, 2015 11:33:43 am
      This (sort of!) vote of confidence BR has had this weekend, is this a final decision?

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #30810: May 26, 2015 11:36:03 am
      This (sort of!) vote of confidence BR has had this weekend, is this a final decision?

I'm pretty sure its all guess work by the media. We haven't had anything official unless I'm mistaken.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #30811: May 26, 2015 11:40:09 am

The player doesn't fit with the managers style and the only way that deal makes any sense is if we have a new manager. And even at that there are countless strikers I'd have before even thinking about spending a penny on Benteke.

But he actually does though Si.  We all had this notion after last season that that was how we would play in the future and all the furore over Balo and Lambert being "forced" on him last summer I think clouded everyones judgement on the TC.  They weren't the right type of No.9 but make no mistake he wants a strong, mobile No.9.

He wanted Bony last summer, he wants Benteke this summer, he had thingy Graham at Swansea, it's how he sees the game being played.  He doesn't play with 2 up top, he plays a target man who also runs the channels, with pacey inside forwards supporting.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #30812: May 26, 2015 11:40:22 am
      Anyway it looks like Brendan is staying so time to get behind him and hope the owners do as well.

I'll wait until the end of season review to see where were at regarding manager, I suggest every one else does, a lot can change between then and now.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #30813: May 26, 2015 11:44:06 am
      But he actually does though Si.  We all had this notion after last season that that was how we would play in the future and all the furore over Balo and Lambert being "forced" on him last summer I think clouded everyones judgement on the TC.  They weren't the right type of No.9 but make no mistake he wants a strong, mobile No.9.

He wanted Bony last summer, he wants Benteke this summer, he had thingy Graham at Swansea, it's how he sees the game being played.  He doesn't play with 2 up top, he plays a target man who also runs the channels, with pacey inside forwards supporting.

It is something I've thought about Debs and you do have a point. What I really meant was he doesn't fit the style he has adopted at our club.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #30814: May 26, 2015 11:46:26 am

How do you know Rodgers is not the one pushing for Benteke?

He is the one who was pushing for Bony last season but the club would not agree to his wage demands so we ended up with Mario.

Edit : Debs beat me to it.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #30815: May 26, 2015 11:50:25 am
      I've changed my mind, now that the shock (the hurt won't go for a while yet) of the Stoke hammering has gone, I want the Gaffer to stay (flip flop - that's life). I still believe there is a brilliant young manager in there that just needs time and the chance to change things. If ever I'm in doubt, I just remember the football we played when we came second. I also don't believe it had everything to do with Luis.

My only real worry is that I think he may have lost the dressing room.

Best thing we can do now is get behind our current manager and show our support for him. Prove all the clever media paparazzi that we are the best fans in the world.

It's FSG we need to keep an eye on

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #30816: May 26, 2015 11:55:09 am
      It is something I've thought about Debs and you do have a point. What I really meant was he doesn't fit the style he has adopted at our club.

That's what's been the weird thing for me though Si, surely he realises we play better and get better results when we play that way yet he keeps going back to a system that has never worked for him here.  As you say he adapted from his preferred set up after Studge arrived then went straight back to it after Luis left.  Whether he felt we couldn't replicate it without him and we clearly couldn't replace him like for like but we didn't even try once the Sanchez deal fell through, everything since points to him wanting his Swansea set up again.

Anyway it's nearly a moot point as I still don't see him surviving the summer.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #30817: May 26, 2015 11:57:05 am

Sorry bud  ;D
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #30818: May 26, 2015 12:04:35 pm
      F**k me, talk about a lack of conviction in here over the last few days.

Talk about the 'i used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure' clan.

He needs another Season to blend his signings and if they don't blend then he has got to go.

An interesting point made earlier that Brendan may well walk if the Transfer Committee remains. Would have a lot of respect for him if this did happen, he must stay true to his values.

If he feels this Committee is detrimental to his ability to manage the Club then it is best he leaves rather than damage his reputation even further.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #30819: May 26, 2015 12:06:12 pm
      How do you know Rodgers is not the one pushing for Benteke?

He could well be mate but it's what he'd do with him that worries me.

Quick Reply