Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3048544 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread
      Reply #38387: May 20, 2016 08:33:51 pm
      Goodluck Rodgers
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #38388: May 20, 2016 08:45:10 pm
      Good luck Brendan.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6386 
      Reply #38389: May 20, 2016 09:01:45 pm
      Great news, hope he does well. I have no reason to hold any animosity to a man that despite his limitations tried his best for this club.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #38390: May 20, 2016 10:57:17 pm
      Twelve month contract?

is that normal in football up there?
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #38391: May 20, 2016 11:01:13 pm
      Twelve month contract?

My guess is that the rolling contract was Brendan's wish. Id say this is just a way of getting back in the game and shopping window for bigger clubs.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #38392: May 20, 2016 11:26:53 pm
      I think the Celtic job is about right for where Brendan is at the moment in the pecking order of managers and clubs. I don't hold anything against him after his time with us, so I'd like to wish him well up there, although I'm a little confused about the length of the contract.

With the demise of Rangers, he is in a no-win situation with regards to winning the title next season, so I hope he wraps it up convincingly. It would do BR and Celtic no harm at all to have a manager spend a decent amount of time in charge - say five years of success there would open up new challenges that are probably not available at this time.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #38393: May 21, 2016 01:35:08 am
      Twelve month contract?

'Up there'? It's not the North Pole for fucks sake. Unless you're completely unaware of the Glasgow-Liverpool connections (one that Shankly sought to strengthen due to what he felt a similar kinship between the two cities). Of course you wouldn't know anything about that to be brutally honest.

Anyway, best of luck to Brendan. He's going to manage another iconic club and I hope he becomes a legend for them.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #38394: May 21, 2016 08:04:03 am
      Twelve month contract?

The 12 month rolling contract is common practice at Celtic

From memory, O'Neill and Lennon worked that way.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,490 posts | 1478 
      Reply #38395: May 21, 2016 08:06:32 am
      My guess is that the rolling contract was Brendan's wish. Id say this is just a way of getting back in the game and shopping window for bigger clubs.
      Agree mate,as most of us have said it's an opportunity for him to get back into management at a big club without being tied down long term so maybe that suits him better,certainly think he's got designs elsewhere but if he does well at Celtic who knows what he will do.
      Have a lot of respect for Brendan & wish him the best of luck,really hope he does well for Celtic & look forward to seeing how he gets on north of the border.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38396: May 21, 2016 09:10:04 am
      Perfect job for him. Wish him all the best up there and he rebuilds himself.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #38397: May 21, 2016 10:07:08 am
      Twelve month contract?

I think the thought is that he will do well win the league and a cup maybe qualify for the knock out stage of the CL and his stock will rise once more and offers will come his way.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #38398: May 21, 2016 10:41:01 am
      Rolling contracts are the standard practice for all Celtic managers since Martin O Neill. Flexible and works out best for both parties.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38399: May 21, 2016 10:55:39 am
      Good luck to him and all that, but must confess I'm not really @rsed either way to be honest.
      Kopite78
      Reply #38400: May 21, 2016 11:32:09 am
      Good luck to the man.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #38401: May 21, 2016 12:37:23 pm
      An Outstanding appointment by Celtic.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #38402: May 21, 2016 12:46:21 pm
      YNWA

Best of luck to him.

:ernie: :gt-happyup: :action-smiley-035: :action-smiley-035: :action-smiley-035:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #38403: May 21, 2016 02:08:38 pm
      I think the Celtic job is about right for where Brendan is at the moment in the pecking order of managers and clubs. I don't hold anything against him after his time with us, so I'd like to wish him well up there, although I'm a little confused about the length of the contract.

With the demise of Rangers, he is in a no-win situation with regards to winning the title next season, so I hope he wraps it up convincingly. It would do BR and Celtic no harm at all to have a manager spend a decent amount of time in charge - say five years of success there would open up new challenges that are probably not available at this time.

But Rangers are very much on the comeback trail. They're about to play the Scottish Cup Final in an hours time having beaten Celtic in the semi finals and have eased to promotion in the Scottish Championship playing a brand of football that has been, for the first time in my life, progressive football of a technical and tactical level much higher than they've ever been in my life. All down to the good work of Mark Warburton who has come in to Rangers and set them on a good path. Including that is a overhaul of their youth system with former Liverpool man Frank McParland heading the youth setup at Ibrox.

I'd be the first to criticise the state of Scottish football but with Rodgers in charge at Celtic and Warburton at Rangers, the Old Firm and Scottish football in general now seems to have taken on something that looks quite interesting once more after a decade or so of utter sh*te that was marked by the sheer low of Neil Lennon and Ally McCoist managing the two clubs. Everyone will bang on about Lennon being the last manager to get them to the Champions League and beating Barcelona in the group stages in 2012 (a WEAKENED Barcelona it must be said) but the football employed there was conservative, regressive, lumpy sh*t that made Greece at Euro 2004 look like the Dutch's Total Football. The charlatan that Lennon is was revealed in its most gruesome form at Bolton where he was a disaster.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #38404: May 21, 2016 02:43:10 pm
      But Rangers are very much on the comeback trail. They're about to play the Scottish Cup Final in an hours time having beaten Celtic in the semi finals and have eased to promotion in the Scottish Championship playing a brand of football that has been, for the first time in my life, progressive football of a technical and tactical level much higher than they've ever been in my life. All down to the good work of Mark Warburton who has come in to Rangers and set them on a good path. Including that is a overhaul of their youth system with former Liverpool man Frank McParland heading the youth setup at Ibrox.

I'd be the first to criticise the state of Scottish football but with Rodgers in charge at Celtic and Warburton at Rangers, the Old Firm and Scottish football in general now seems to have taken on something that looks quite interesting once more after a decade or so of utter sh*te that was marked by the sheer low of Neil Lennon and Ally McCoist managing the two clubs. Everyone will bang on about Lennon being the last manager to get them to the Champions League and beating Barcelona in the group stages in 2012 (a WEAKENED Barcelona it must be said) but the football employed there was conservative, regressive, lumpy sh*t that made Greece at Euro 2004 look like the Dutch's Total Football. The charlatan that Lennon is was revealed in its most gruesome form at Bolton where he was a disaster.

Problem is both Rangers and Celtic have very little money to spend on players. Celtic fans I know think the club isIt might not be a big deal in league terms but when it comes to Europe they don't stand a chance. Celtic supporters I know believe the team is as poor as they have been for some time, and the standard of player they buy is not good enough.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #38405: May 21, 2016 03:04:23 pm
      Good move for him that.

He needed something big after Liverpool. Celtic are a big club in a sh*te league, gives him a chance to win a few medals and improve his European experience, two things he needed work on.

Yeah agree with that. I think it's a great move for both.

A change of culture would do wonders for Scottish football, especially that derby because of how intense it is. I think the long-term goal for SPL is to be something like Eredivisie in that while it's not one of the top 4 leagues in the world, it's a great producer of talent.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #38406: May 21, 2016 09:14:32 pm
      Also like to add to my .previous post, good luck Brendan.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38407: May 21, 2016 09:32:45 pm
      On a side note I think we should have Rangers and Celtic in the English leagues, starting off in the Championship. It'd give Berwick Rangers and Montrose and all those other teams a shot at winning stuff up there, and would be brilliant for both Scottish and English football.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #38408: May 22, 2016 08:32:04 am
      On a side note I think we should have Rangers and Celtic in the English leagues, starting off in the Championship. It'd give Berwick Rangers and Montrose and all those other teams a shot at winning stuff up there, and would be brilliant for both Scottish and English football.

There's no way I'd want them playing in England. No doubt they would bring their sectarian nonsense with them, their fan are never going to change.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #38409: May 22, 2016 05:32:37 pm

Nah, not for me. Scottish footballScotland should be independent :laugh:

Quick Reply