Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3083174 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread
      Reply #38847: Apr 03, 2017 06:06:13 am
      Fair play to Brendan whether it was the 2-1 or 1-2 in the middle the triangle flipped brilliantly for him over there. Good for him.

He did once again come out with some cringe statements and prove his propensity for a foot in the mouth moment with declarations of a top 6 PL finish. He also bizzarely made reference to his Swansea achievements of finishing 11th whilst completely  glossing over the fact he spunked 300m here and finished in those places only once.
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017 09:47:49 am by Dadorious »
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #38848: Apr 03, 2017 07:05:02 am

I thought the idea was to acknowledge the fortunes of past LFC staff, good or bad.   
      Who told you that? I suppose you'd like to shake Stan Collymore or Neil Ruddocks hand for everything they did for the club.?

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #38849: Apr 03, 2017 08:47:06 am
      Congratulations Brendan.

YNWA.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,686 posts | 6981 
      Reply #38850: Apr 03, 2017 09:11:23 am
      Watching them splutter through gritted teeth that they were "right behind him" for three seasons was embarrassing in the extreme, at least now there's a level of honesty about them.

No gritted teeth from me.  He's improved them.  They've got the same number of points with 8 games left as they ended last season.

If the 'them splutter' in part refers to me then I actually was right behind him for three seasons.  It was the fourth he shouldn't have had.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,332 posts | 774 
      Reply #38851: Apr 03, 2017 09:46:37 am
      Congratulations Brendan, it is just a pity you could not have achieved winning the Premiership with the Reds. The title that really mattered, then you would have something to be really proud of, still never mind good luck in the Champions league.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38852: Apr 03, 2017 09:56:32 am
      It's an interesting world where we slag off the likes of Scott Sinclair and claim (rightly) that he's only doing well as it's a relatively weak league, THEN say "lets see how they get on in the Champions league". Very odd.

I'm more interested to be totally honest in how WE get on the Champions league. I'm not exactly brimming with confidence that we'll steamroll our way through it either, but we'll see.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #38853: Apr 03, 2017 10:02:55 am
      Congratulations Brendan.

Him and Kolo will be made up with that.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,230 posts | 4421 
      Reply #38854: Apr 03, 2017 10:36:54 am
      Well done to both Brendan and Kolo.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,889 posts | 704 
      Reply #38855: Apr 03, 2017 03:01:49 pm
      Quote from PurpleMonkey
      I hope when/if Rafa wins the Championship, he'll get as much love as what he's getting in here :D

Sorry wrong thread. Plus winning second division titles doesn't count. And if they do, it's not the same as winning the top division. Even Newcastle fans recognise that.

The reaction though has been as expected. Yes it's a very poor standard, but it's still a national league title, you know the kind of thing we've been chasing for 27 years. We used to know what it was like to stack them up year after year. Did we complain at how weak the competition was? Er no, we still revere those who won them here as club legends. Rightly so.

Rodgers likes to chat, but at times  oversteps the mark. As he has again with the top 6 quote. Maybe all the talk of independence referendums lately has gone to his head.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38856: Apr 03, 2017 03:06:26 pm
      It's an interesting world where we slag off the likes of Scott Sinclair and claim (rightly) that he's only doing well as it's a relatively weak league, THEN say "lets see how they get on in the Champions league". Very odd.

I'm more interested to be totally honest in how WE get on the Champions league. I'm not exactly brimming with confidence that we'll steamroll our way through it either, but we'll see.

Behave Mick, taking statements from different people and suggesting they were said in contrast to each other to push a narrative gets us nowhere. If you want to debate Brendan go right ahead but when people pull you up on your statements it's better to defend them than throw in this this type of comment because this is what truly attempts to shut down debate, it's convoluted rubbish mate and you know it.

So we're clear, it was me who said about the "let's see about the CL" after you started handing out "astonishing achievement" awards. I tried to contextualise what kind of achievement Brendan really achieved, and highlighted how Neil Lennon performed both previously at Celtic and prior to that at Bolton. To me both this analysis and the one done later by Guruji shows what we all really know, the Scottish Premier league is a terrible, totally uncompetitive league where even poor managers can have success.

Guruji did an excellent bit of analysis for your "best signing in the WHOLE of Europe" award and in your opinion slagged off Scott Sinclair in doing so. Really he was simply adding the context and comparison to your statement so we could see if what you said was justifiable or if indeed players simply produce better numbers when playing for a team as dominant as Celtic.

These statements or analysis weren't in contrast as you try to suggest they were taking your statements and adding context and expanding the debate something that should be encouraged on a forum as it is exactly what makes the place interesting in my opinion. If Dembele goes on and proves to be the "best signing in the WHOLE of Europe" then fair fucks to you it's a great prediction. However when people try to counter your predictions at least defend them straight on as they have attempted to counter you straight on, don't come out with this rubbish mate because you're much better than that.

As for you being more concerned with how WE'LL do in the CL. A discussion for another thread but I too wouldn't be expecting too much from us either on first time of asking but I would go in there with much more confidence than I did when Brendan was managing us for many reasons but the most compelling being our record against the better teams in the league. Under Brendan we performed worst when the opposition got better, under Jürgen we perform much better as the standard of the opposition gets higher, to me that is the sign of a top class manager.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #38857: Apr 03, 2017 03:19:08 pm
      The reaction though has been as expected. Yes it's a very poor standard, but it's still a national league title, you know the kind of thing we've been chasing for 27 years. We used to know what it was like to stack them up year after year. Did we complain at how weak the competition was? Er no, we still revere those who won them here as club legends. Rightly so.

Are you devaluing our league wins to justify Rodgers and his title win? :o It just comes across like that, sorry.

Sorry wrong thread. Plus winning second division titles doesn't count. And if they do, it's not the same as winning the top division. Even Newcastle fans recognise that.

The competition in the Championship is of higher quality, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it. And whilst I agree it's not the same as winning the SPL division title in terms of prestigious, it's more of an achievement. I am sure Newcastle fans will recognise that.
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017 03:30:07 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #38858: Apr 03, 2017 03:40:12 pm
      To put "into context" Brendan's incredible achievement today, here are wee Scotty Sinclair's goalscoring stats from 2010 onwards:

2010–11  Championship   19 goals from 43 games
      2011–12  Premier League   8 goals from 38 games
      2012–13  Premier League   1 goal from 12 games
      2013–14  Premier League   0 goals from 8 games
      2014–15  Premier League   1 goal from 11 games
      2015–16  Premier League   2 goals from 21 games

2016–17  Scottish Premiership 18 goals in 27 games

And here are the stats from the "best signing in Europe", Dembele:

2013–14  Premier League  0 goals from 2 games
      2014–15  Championship    0 goals from 11 games
      2015–16  Championship   15 goals from 43 games

2016–17  Scottish Premiership 17 goals in 27 games

Two players who have achieved their best goals-to-games ratio in their careers this season (even bettering their most prolific hauls from prior seasons in the Championship) and who together have contributed just under half of Celtic's goals in the league, helping the "Rodgers' revolution" which is "taking the club to the next level"...

Completely overlooks how good the likes of Tierney and Armstrong have been all season. You clearly know f**k all about the team.
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017 05:32:24 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #38859: Apr 03, 2017 04:22:02 pm
      Incredible how many folk on here are suddenly experts on the SPL and Celtic.

Anyway, well done Brendan. As a Scot, and as a non-Celtic fan, he's gone some way to absolutely humiliating the rest of the league unfortunately. And with that piss poor squad too (Lennon had a far superior squad to all you ignorant people).

Show some damn respect for an ex-Liverpool manager please. And no, don't compare him to Hodgson, unless you are an armchair supporter who knows f**k all about the club.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #38860: Apr 03, 2017 05:34:19 pm
      Great job in Scotland. Couldn't have done any better. Some people need to remember we sing You'll Never Walk Alone for a reason. Man of class, never showed the club anything but respect so deserves the same back.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #38861: Apr 03, 2017 06:18:19 pm
      Are you devaluing our league wins to justify Rodgers and his title win? :o It just comes across like that, sorry.

The competition in the Championship is of higher quality, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it. And whilst I agree it's not the same as winning the SPL division title in terms of prestigious, it's more of an achievement. I am sure Newcastle fans will recognise that.

I doubt anyone would argue the Scottish PL is better quality than Championship, but I believe Celtic would hold their own in that league. They can only beat what is out in front of them and they've done that.
      I personally think it would've been better for Brendan to go to Celtic and get big team experience (and Celtic are a big club) before getting the opportunity to manage us, but I can't blame him for jumping at the chance to manage us, who wouldn't?
      He did his best, but failed, he's not the first to fail to win the title, I don't see any reason for the hatred shown to him by some if or fans.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #38862: Apr 03, 2017 06:42:42 pm
      I doubt anyone would argue the Scottish PL is better quality than Championship, but I believe Celtic would hold their own in that league. They can only beat what is out in front of them and they've done that.
      I personally think it would've been better for Brendan to go to Celtic and get big team experience (and Celtic are a big club) before getting the opportunity to manage us, but I can't blame him for jumping at the chance to manage us, who wouldn't?
      He did his best, but failed, he's not the first to fail to win the title, I don't see any reason for the hatred shown to him by some if or fans.

Great post! I wholeheartedly agree.

I admit, I am one of those who dislike him , not hate, but dislike. There are a lot of reasons for this, but you are right, he did his best but ultimately, it wasn't good enough and he failed.

Anyway, congrats to Rodgers for winning the SPL, but most importantly, he is gaining experience and maybe it will help him return to a big club.
      Chessie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts | 14 
      Reply #38863: Apr 03, 2017 07:06:20 pm
      Great post! I wholeheartedly agree.

I admit, I am one of those who dislike him , not hate, but dislike. There are a lot of reasons for this, but you are right, he did his best but ultimately, it wasn't good enough and he failed.

Anyway, congrats to Rodgers for winning the SPL, but most importantly, he is gaining experience and maybe it will help him return to a big club.

No need for it lad, he's at a huge club - bigger leagues for sure but not many bigger clubs
      Chessie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts | 14 
      Reply #38864: Apr 03, 2017 07:18:42 pm
      Behave Mick, taking statements from different people and suggesting they were said in contrast to each other to push a narrative gets us nowhere. If you want to debate Brendan go right ahead but when people pull you up on your statements it's better to defend them than throw in this this type of comment because this is what truly attempts to shut down debate, it's convoluted rubbish mate and you know it.

So we're clear, it was me who said about the "let's see about the CL" after you started handing out "astonishing achievement" awards. I tried to contextualise what kind of achievement Brendan really achieved, and highlighted how Neil Lennon performed both previously at Celtic and prior to that at Bolton. To me both this analysis and the one done later by Guruji shows what we all really know, the Scottish Premier league is a terrible, totally uncompetitive league where even poor managers can have success.

Guruji did an excellent bit of analysis for your "best signing in the WHOLE of Europe" award and in your opinion slagged off Scott Sinclair in doing so. Really he was simply adding the context and comparison to your statement so we could see if what you said was justifiable or if indeed players simply produce better numbers when playing for a team as dominant as Celtic.

These statements or analysis weren't in contrast as you try to suggest they were taking your statements and adding context and expanding the debate something that should be encouraged on a forum as it is exactly what makes the place interesting in my opinion. If Dembele goes on and proves to be the "best signing in the WHOLE of Europe" then fair fucks to you it's a great prediction. However when people try to counter your predictions at least defend them straight on as they have attempted to counter you straight on, don't come out with this rubbish mate because you're much better than that.

As for you being more concerned with how WE'LL do in the CL. A discussion for another thread but I too wouldn't be expecting too much from us either on first time of asking but I would go in there with much more confidence than I did when Brendan was managing us for many reasons but the most compelling being our record against the better teams in the league. Under Brendan we performed worst when the opposition got better, under Jürgen we perform much better as the standard of the opposition gets higher, to me that is the sign of a top class manager.

You can do lots with stats - quoting Dembele's stats as a 17 and 18 year old is a bit misleading.  His final season stats at Fulham in his full season are good - but what you and the other lad haven't taken into account is his natural progression - it would have been very disappointing if his goals to ratio had not improved,  The player himself lays a lot of that improvement down to Brendan's tutelage (as does Suarez from his time at Liverpool incidentally).  They maybe both wrong of course and you maybe  right - only time will tell.

I expect him to progress further in Scotland next season as he continues to improve and we can rekindle the discussion when we see how he performs in the ECL which is probably the only benchmark you would accept - his current ECL record by the way is 3 goals in 6 which is none too shabby
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #38865: Apr 04, 2017 04:50:42 am
      Congratulations Brendan.

By all accounts did it in style.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,889 posts | 704 
      Reply #38866: Apr 05, 2017 03:58:04 pm
      Quote from PurpleMonkey

Newcastle have won that division before. It barely registered on the radar. As with any lower league, the primary goal of it is to get promoted. Anything more is a bonus.

I'm not devaluing any of our championships. I said that he has achieved what we have wanted and chased for 27 years, win a national league title.

Most leagues have one or two dominant clubs that win them every year. PSG won their league last year by 30 odd points. Bayern will win 5 Bundesliga's in a row. Juventus clean up in Italy. There is a 3 team league in Portugal, and 2 in Spain. Chelsea have been about 10 points clear in England since Christmas. Are their titles any less of an achievement than Celtic's? 

If we won the league, we wouldn't care how many points it was by, or what the standard of opposition is, as long as it said Liverpool 1st after 38 games. Neither do Celtic.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #38867: Apr 09, 2017 06:21:47 pm
      Most leagues have one or two dominant clubs that win them every year. PSG won their league last year by 30 odd points. Bayern will win 5 Bundesliga's in a row. Juventus clean up in Italy. There is a 3 team league in Portugal, and 2 in Spain. Chelsea have been about 10 points clear in England since Christmas. Are their titles any less of an achievement than Celtic's?

If we won the league, we wouldn't care how many points it was by, or what the standard of opposition is, as long as it said Liverpool 1st after 38 games. Neither do Celtic.

I understand your point as you are looking at the Celtic/Rodgers perspective, but I am not looking at that POV, rather from an outside one. And as an outsider, I see a league full of amateurs in comparison to  Eredivisie , Serie A, La Liga, Bundasliga, Ligue 1, Portuguese league and Premier League, hence the reason why I do not see it as a prestigious win and consider it a lesser achievement.

Like I said before, Congrats in winning the league amd gaining experience, but nothing really to brag about in comparison to the other competitive leagues around.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #38868: Apr 09, 2017 07:30:49 pm
      I understand your point as you are looking at the Celtic/Rodgers perspective, but I am not looking at that POV, rather from an outside one. And as an outsider, I see a league full of amateurs in comparison to  Eredivisie , Serie A, La Liga, Bundasliga, Ligue 1, Portuguese league and Premier League, hence the reason why I do not see it as a prestigious win and consider it a lesser achievement.

Like I said before, Congrats in winning the league amd gaining experience, but nothing really to brag about in comparison to the other competitive leagues around.

Can you imagine if that was his reaction after winning the SPL though.

'So Brendan how do you feel'

'Ah, it's a bit sh*te really isn't it. I know 60,000 of you turn up here every 2 weeks, but I'm not too arsed really'

He not only has to kind of brag, but quite rightly. You can only beat what's in front of you. As for the SPL, saying the championship is better is an understatement. Celtic are a Championship level team, the rest are league 1 or below.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #38869: Apr 14, 2017 03:10:45 am
      Can you imagine if that was his reaction after winning the SPL though.

'So Brendan how do you feel'

'Ah, it's a bit sh*te really isn't it. I know 60,000 of you turn up here every 2 weeks, but I'm not too arsed really'

He not only has to kind of brag, but quite rightly. You can only beat what's in front of you. As for the SPL, saying the championship is better is an understatement. Celtic are a Championship level team, the rest are league 1 or below.

Well said.

Quick Reply