Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3031838 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread
      Reply #39008: Nov 22, 2017 10:49:38 pm
      Klopp the next celtic manager are you suggesting?

Haha go back to the Celtic forum whatever its called.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #39009: Nov 22, 2017 11:45:49 pm
      It's a tough one for Brendan. If he plays backs to the walls, non football like many inferior sides in Europe (or Neil Lennon's Celtic) then he'll lose but not lose as badly.

But if he wants to compete in a way that helps his players develop technically (and boy have many of the players under his management come on) then he has to accept that batterings against that type of opposition will occur. He shouldn't apologise for that as such a style of football has seen the growth of young talent at that club, which is Celtic's duty given their dominance in Scottish football.

What is the point in deploying a style of football that will only minimise the scoreline in defeat? A side like Celtic doesn't learn ANYTHING from such an experience. Far better to measure how far you are from the top sides in Europe by deploying your own game. It will only drive Celtic further to improvement on a technical level in the coming years.

We had a similar discussion after they got trounced by Barca I think it was mate and back then I advocated playing more defensive due to circumstance, as I would ourselves if we had to play that team.

Saying you don't change your style and you'll develop more by getting absolutely outclassed and battered really doesn't wash with me. You need to be tactically versatily and adapt to the challenges presented, pretending he was being brave or pioneering in sending his lads out to be slaughtered is looking at things through an extremely tinted view imo.

Sure, play more positive than 2 banks of 5 and try to express yourselves but (without watching the game and only going off your comments) if you go out as you would against the minnows of the league and think you stand a chance and that playing that way will do your players any good whatsoever to be thoroughly exposed then I think you're completely wrong on this one.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #39010: Nov 23, 2017 12:17:42 am
      We had a similar discussion after they got trounced by Barca I think it was mate and back then I advocated playing more defensive due to circumstance, as I would ourselves if we had to play that team.

Saying you don't change your style and you'll develop more by getting absolutely outclassed and battered really doesn't wash with me. You need to be tactically versatily and adapt to the challenges presented, pretending he was being brave or pioneering in sending his lads out to be slaughtered is looking at things through an extremely tinted view imo.

Sure, play more positive than 2 banks of 5 and try to express yourselves but (without watching the game and only going off your comments) if you go out as you would against the minnows of the league and think you stand a chance and that playing that way will do your players any good whatsoever to be thoroughly exposed then I think you're completely wrong on this one.

You're not viewing it through a Scottish football perspective as I am. I'm not saying accept an annihilation and nor am I saying it is brave and pioneering - it's a perfectly fine to call it naive and inflexible as we saw under Brendan in Europe. The intention and expectation when coming out to play properly is still not to get battered 7-1 - no one expects that. If you can lose 2-0 or even 3-0 against that type of opposition when staying true to your game is worth a lot more than being beaten by a similar scoreline by playing anti football. The challenge for Scottish football teams is to play a game that can, on a certain level, compete in places like these. That can never ever be tested or gauged if they continue to play the sort of tripe that has consistently seen Scotland fail to qualify for tournament after tournament these past two decades.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #39011: Nov 23, 2017 12:27:47 am
      You're not viewing it through a Scottish football perspective. I'm not saying accept an annihilation and nor am I saying it is brave and pioneering - it's a perfectly fine to call it naive and inflexible as we saw under Brendan in Europe. The intention and expectation when coming out to play properly is still not to get battered 7-1 - no one expects that. If you can lose 2-0 or even 3-0 against that type of opposition when staying true to your game is worth a lot more than being beaten by a similar scoreline by playing anti football.

That's fair and a more balanced opinion than what I garnered from your initial response. 

The challenge for Scottish football teams is to play a game that can, on a certain level, compete in places like these. That can never ever be tested or gauged if they continue to play the sort of tripe that has consistently seen Scotland fail to qualify for tournament after tournament these past two decades.

Which is something I'm not sure Brendan is capable of. Certainly he can bring a level above the likes of Lennon and co and in terms of developing youngsters that is really his bag and away from the weighty expectation and relatively easy results I think you will see players come on leaps and bounds but when it comes to actually pitching his tactical nous against better teams I just think he'll most times come up short and that level of adaption just wont be shown, hence why I see a 7-1 drubbing as things appear to be not really improving too much from last season in terms of CL improvement, which truthfully is the only time he's meets with such challenges all year.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #39012: Jan 16, 2018 09:32:20 pm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #39013: Jan 16, 2018 09:36:40 pm
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #39014: Jan 23, 2018 12:28:31 am
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #39015: Jan 23, 2018 06:44:49 pm
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #39016: Jan 23, 2018 07:13:40 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #39017: Feb 22, 2018 06:30:20 pm
      Celtic in sh*t in their away game against Zenit, 2-0 down after 28 minutes, 2-1 on agg.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #39018: Feb 22, 2018 07:15:54 pm
      Celtic in sh*t in their away game against Zenit, 2-0 down after 28 minutes, 2-1 on agg.

Just found out the last time Celtic won a knockout tie in European football was back in 2004 when they beat Barcelona in the UEFA Cup. Piss poor.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #39019: Feb 22, 2018 07:28:14 pm
      Just found out the last time Celtic won a knockout tie in European football was back in 2004 when they beat Barcelona in the UEFA Cup. Piss poor.

Been watching the whole game, they've been absolutely piss-poor. 3-0 down with about 20 minutes to play.

Anyone who thinks they'd do well in the premier league are totally deluded.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #39020: Feb 22, 2018 07:43:43 pm
      Been watching the whole game, they've been absolutely piss-poor. 3-0 down with about 20 minutes to play.

For the last decade or so Celtic have probably been sub Premier League. There was a time, at the start of the century, when Rangers and Celtic could have held their own in the Premier League but not now. As fine a job Rodgers has done domestically for them, his team is just not on a par with that of O'Neil's squad back at the start of the century. The idea of a player like Larsson playing for Celtic and for as long as he did seems hard to imagine these days.

That said I think Rodgers is doing a superb job at Celtic though and despite results like these, the growth seen by the likes of McGregor, Forrest and Tierney in particular is one of the most encouraging developments to have occurred in Scottish football in a long time. But when it comes to European ties away he's going to have to develop a better master plan than just running around looking like you've got the skitters.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #39021: Feb 22, 2018 07:50:21 pm

They would finish mid table for sure; most likely ahead of teams who completely outspend them - the West Brom’s and Stoke’s who can spend 15 and 20 million on a player and still face relegation.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #39022: Feb 22, 2018 08:00:46 pm
      Celtic are not really progressing in Europe, they are just financially outgunned and even though they will walk the league you have to wonder how much longer Brendan will stay.
      More so for his career progression as he has probably now gone as far as he can with Celtic.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #39023: Feb 23, 2018 08:31:44 am
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly

Obviously they haven't counted qualifying rounds, which are knockout ties.

Celtic are useless on the road in Europe. Rodgers won't sit back and defend also, so they're just sitting ducks against any half decent team, let alone the teams at the European level they want to be at.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #39024: Feb 23, 2018 12:41:07 pm
      First signs of unrest in last couple months amongst fan base.

Be interesting to see how he responds - they have been very ordinary (despite the long unbeaten run) this season.

Better than their opponents but not by as much as this time last season.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #39025: Feb 23, 2018 01:50:40 pm
      First signs of unrest in last couple months amongst fan base.

Be interesting to see how he responds - they have been very ordinary (despite the long unbeaten run) this season.

Better than their opponents but not by as much as this time last season.

What's behind the unrest?..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39026: Feb 23, 2018 02:02:33 pm
      They would finish mid table for sure; most likely ahead of teams who completely outspend them - the West Brom’s and Stoke’s who can spend 15 and 20 million on a player and still face relegation.

Mid table, Celtic?? Not a chance they'd be fighting against relegation every year, having said that I would actually like to see them included in the Prem, why is it that Swansea can play in the Prem but not Celtic and Rangers, what's needs to happen for them to be able to join?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #39027: Feb 23, 2018 02:43:22 pm

According to my father in law mate just a bit of a “nothing” season.

They’re miles better than the rest but it’s only showing sporadically.

Strange selections / set-up at times and players off form.

It’s kinda “so what?” - not necessarily aimed just at BR but bit of a “what’s the strategy here?”

Is it really enough just to be bit better than Scotland and make money or compete in Europe / really develop......
      Kopite78
      Reply #39028: Feb 23, 2018 03:00:44 pm
      Mid table, Celtic?? Not a chance they'd be fighting against relegation every year, having said that I would actually like to see them included in the Prem, why is it that Swansea can play in the Prem but not Celtic and Rangers, what's needs to happen for them to be able to join?

Timing

You can't fit them in nowadays. Unless they started at the bottom level of English football.
      Why should they come in to the premier league? I mean that would mean taking two teams places, why would or should they drop out? Same if you put them in league 2.. who loses their place in the league so two Scottish teams can play in the league?

Afc  Wimbledon started in the combined league I believe, around the 10th tier of English football, after a club went bust in that league.

Only way Celtic or Rangers should be given a place in English football is the same way
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #39029: Feb 23, 2018 03:19:01 pm
      Timing

You can't fit them in nowadays. Unless they started at the bottom level of English football.
      Why should they come in to the premier league? I mean that would mean taking two teams places, why would or should they drop out? Same if you put them in league 2.. who loses their place in the league so two Scottish teams can play in the league?

Afc  Wimbledon started in the combined league I believe, around the 10th tier of English football, after a club went bust in that league.

Only way Celtic or Rangers should be given a place in English football is the same way

More chance of Celtic and Rangers competing with the likes of us and Man Utd etc if we all left our respective leagues and joined a European Super League.

That said, there was talk that was mooted again recently of an Atlantic League that took the best sides from Scotland, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands etc and put them all together in a table. If that happened it could have great commerical potential and given time would rival the Premier League, Bundesliga and La Liga. It's something that is on the table albeit in the very early stages and with UEFA giving in with increasing regularity to the top clubs in Europe (handing all top 4 spots in the Premier League automatic places in the CL for one) it definitely seems possible.
      Kopite78
      Reply #39030: Feb 23, 2018 03:24:33 pm
      More chance of Celtic and Rangers competing with the likes of us and Man Utd etc if we all left our respective leagues and joined a European Super League.

That said, there was talk that was mooted again recently of an Atlantic League that took the best sides from Scotland, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands etc and put them all together in a table. If that happened it could have great commerical potential and given time would rival the Premier League, Bundesliga and La Liga. It's something that is on the table albeit in the very early stages.

I really hope that there is never a break away league, I'd really never want us to be part of that.
      European football is great, but as a pinnacle, as a reward for doing well in your league.
      Us against Barca as a regular league fixture? I'd rather play Wigan

I'd really hope none of those things happen, compete in your own countries against your own countries teams.

I'm not against Celtic or Rangers wanting to improve themselves but at who's expense is all I don't agree with.

Quick Reply