Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Patience and time

Read 4007 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Patience and time
      May 31, 2012 06:54:24 pm
      With the appointment of Brendan Rodgers as new Liverpool manager, 4th in 2 years, its already obvious to see/read the dissapointment in some fans. Others are tentatively happy, others still, very pleased. So before he's even lifted a Liverpool scarf over his head theres a split in the fan camp.

Everyone is entitled to and has an opinion, which not everyone will agree with and some which pure anger others. At the end of the day the owners have made there choice. All the bitching and moaning in the world can't change that now so basically why bother with the negativity?

In my own view I think this could be a very shrewd appointment, not one I saw coming, but one I can see the logic behind. A young man with experience albeit only 1 season of managing in the premier league. And for the club he managed it was an exceptional season. Only 1 goal away from a top 10 finish. Lets not forget either he has worked at a big club (pains me to say it) Chelsea where he worked under Mourinho and alongside Steve Clarke. No need for me to bang on about the football style he likes his team to play as its well documented. But even the most angered red of his appointment must admit the football style under Rodgers is what we want at Anfield.

My big fear is and always was, nobody wanted Kenny gone so how long would the new man get before we'd ask again why was Kenny sacked. I wont dwell on Kenny inthis post. The fact is in the last 3 seasons we finished 7th twice and 6th. No man can be expected to come in and do a miracle and have us top of the tree just like that. All above us will strenghten this summer (bar the shi*e). Rodgers will take time to get his system spot on with his new squad, but when he does, well lets wait and see.

So please in the meantime lets do what we do best. Be patient and give nothing but 100% backing to the new gaffer and his team and give them time. I for one believe this to be an astute signing that will bring long term success.

Y.N.W.A
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: Patience and time
      Reply #1: May 31, 2012 07:18:22 pm
      Great OP.

It's time to unite and get behind the new manager.

Rodgers wasn't my preferred choice, but he got the nod and I have no problem with that. He has enormous potential as a manager IMO and I hope he realises that potential at Liverpool FC, and we enjoy lots of success with him.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #2: May 31, 2012 07:31:08 pm
      I believe he will be given at least 3 seasons unless he has us going the wrong direction and we finish outside the top 8 in his first season.  I think the owners will be expecting him to at least have us finish in the top 8 in his first year, top 6 in his 2nd year, and be challenging for the 4th spot by the end of year 3.  If we are showing signs of progress, then he will be given the time and patience from the owners.  If he has us going the same direction we were under Hodgeson then he may find himself in hot water quickly. 

I am pulling for him and I hope this appointment proves to be a masterstroke!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #3: May 31, 2012 07:43:09 pm
      Amen.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #4: May 31, 2012 08:22:07 pm
      Great OP.

It's time to unite and get behind the new manager.

Rodgers wasn't my preferred choice, but he got the nod and I have no problem with that. He has enormous potential as a manager IMO and I hope he realises that potential at Liverpool FC, and we enjoy lots of success with him.

Exactly how I feel, he wasn't my first choice either, but he'll get all of my support 100%.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #5: May 31, 2012 08:42:46 pm
      After years of divide and conquer it's time to regroup and become unified again.

F**k thee interlopers and those that tried to split asunder
      F**k thee mancs and their lovers
      F**k thee pretenders to our gracious throne
      F**k thee who bear thought to our ills
      F**k thee bearers of untrue words
      F**k thee amongst us with treason on mind

Above all else that may befall us
      F**k thee that disgrace the memory of our fallen Brothers & Sisters

We shall take to the battlefield once more, true in the knowledge that OUR ENEMY SHALL FALL.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6: May 31, 2012 08:45:56 pm
      Rodgers wasn't my first choice either but that doesn't matter at all to me now. I wanted either one of AVB, Rafa or Capello as our manager but those wishes are all but distant memories now. This wasn't the case when Roy Hodgson signed two years back. When he signed I wished him all the success and genuinely thought he'd do better than the sh*te we eventually saw but when he signed, Rafa was still VERY much in my memory. But with Brendan and his youth, his technical management and his style of play I'm thinking only about the future. This can only be a good thing surely?

My one initial desire is that we really get behind Rodgers. I'm pleased those sceptics are in the minority and I am delighted by the positivity shown towards his appointment by most of us. We have to get behind him for the sake of this football club. And my expectations are I don't expect Champions League football this season. I only expect progress. A lot on here wanted Klopp as manager. It took him two seasons before he could get Dortmund into the Champions League but they've bided their time well and with the development of that squad and indeed Klopp as a manager Dortmund are once again a formidable force in Europe. I really believe we can replicate that under Rodger's leadership. He has what it takes and we as fans have what it takes to take the club in one direction. Not factions pulling different directions, sideways or backwards but forwards. ONE force forward!
      « Last Edit: May 31, 2012 09:05:24 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #7: May 31, 2012 09:30:58 pm
      Great topic.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #8: May 31, 2012 09:52:00 pm
      Yup agree with most on this thread,in the faact that brendan wasnt my first choice either,but he is now manager of liverpool football club and has my unswerving support.
      Gus
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      Reply #9: May 31, 2012 10:51:58 pm
      Ive been one of those fans who didnt want Rodgers has my 1st choice but read up on the Guy and got more impressed. I am fully behind him as my clubs manager and he will never walk alone as long as he gives it his best shot and gel's the team together and pushes them to higher heights.
      ALL THE BEST BRENDAN.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Jun 01, 2012 08:32:26 am
      We have no option but get in and give Brendan Rodgers our full support and hope he becomes a big success at Anfield.His first 6 months will be critical so I hope he gets off to a flyer and gets the players believing in themselves and playing the type of football we all like to see.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #11: Jun 01, 2012 09:05:47 am
      Whilst I agree with the Op and think we should back %100 the problem with that its an individual decision.

I know he'll get my upmost support from the off.

However there are sections of the fan base that don't think like some of us, the kind of fan that did not want Rodgers and will moan, whinge, twist when things don't go our way.

Thats where I fear for Rodgers, with whispers of. Discontent from senior players in the dressing room about the appointment that will only feed the neysayers.

I just hope every one gets behind him and gives him our upmost support but for some reason I can't help but think some sections of our support are sat sharpening their Rafa songs with their fingers crossed hoping its all goes Pete Tong.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #12: Jun 01, 2012 09:48:30 am
      Whilst I agree with the Op and think we should back %100 the problem with that its an individual decision.

I know he'll get my upmost support from the off.

However there are sections of the fan base that don't think like some of us, the kind of fan that did not want Rodgers and will moan, whinge, twist when things don't go our way.

Thats where I fear for Rodgers, with whispers of. Discontent from senior players in the dressing room about the appointment that will only feed the neysayers.

I just hope every one gets behind him and gives him our upmost support but for some reason I can't help but think some sections of our support are sat sharpening their Rafa songs with their fingers crossed hoping its all goes Pete Tong.
      I agree with what you are saying Daz but at the end of the day it will be the players that either make or break him.It would be great for him  and us to be a great success, and to make Anfield the ground that every club is terrified of playing at once again.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,517 posts | 3461 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #13: Jun 01, 2012 10:00:55 am
      The press have already started the sh*t stirring about him not being first choice. Chris Kamara who is a mate of Rodgers was talking about the ex players being the 'liverpool mafai'. We've had far too much turmoil in the last couple of years which frankly I'm tired of and all I want to do is go and cheer and support the team and whoever is in the dugout regardless of who is there. The most important thing is to back Brendan and hope that FSG do the same and do not resort to any more knee jerk decisions. Allez les Rouges !
      Red Rob 60
      • Forum Ian St John

• 448 posts | 43 
      Reply #14: Jun 01, 2012 10:20:37 am
      After years of divide and conquer it's time to regroup and become unified again.

We shall take to the battlefield once more, true in the knowledge that OUR ENEMY SHALL FALL.

Good stuff Exiled.

I like it.
      Red Rob 60
      • Forum Ian St John

• 448 posts | 43 
      Reply #15: Jun 01, 2012 10:38:53 am
      Rodgers wasn't my first choice either but that doesn't matter at all to me now. I wanted either one of AVB, Rafa or Capello as our manager but those wishes are all but distant memories now. This wasn't the case when Roy Hodgson signed two years back. When he signed I wished him all the success and genuinely thought he'd do better than the sh*te we eventually saw but when he signed, Rafa was still VERY much in my memory. But with Brendan and his youth, his technical management and his style of play I'm thinking only about the future. This can only be a good thing surely?

My one initial desire is that we really get behind Rodgers. I'm pleased those sceptics are in the minority and I am delighted by the positivity shown towards his appointment by most of us. We have to get behind him for the sake of this football club. And my expectations are I don't expect Champions League football this season. I only expect progress. A lot on here wanted Klopp as manager. It took him two seasons before he could get Dortmund into the Champions League but they've bided their time well and with the development of that squad and indeed Klopp as a manager Dortmund are once again a formidable force in Europe. I really believe we can replicate that under Rodger's leadership. He has what it takes and we as fans have what it takes to take the club in one direction. Not factions pulling different directions, sideways or backwards but forwards. ONE force forward!

You know I really thought the Rodgers was only their to make up the numbers because like most people here I knew nothing about him. My first choice was AVB because I didn't think FSG would run with Rafa and I had decided that I would only get behind candidates that I thought were realistic choices.

If I had thought Klopp was even close to a realistic choice then he would have been my number one but the simple truth is that, from his perspective, I can't see one positive reason why he should leave and move here and plenty as to why he wouldn't. Once I've taken my rose tinted spectacles off that is.

Regrets I've had a few but Klopp he wasn't one of them.

Simple fact is that now I know a bit more about Brendon I'm pretty sure that initial choices might have been different if I had known then what I know now.

We need a fresh new approach to the game and in truth we need someone young who will grow to be a Liverpool legend not someone who became a legend at another club. Not even someone who we adopted but someone who became great at Anfield and will stay here for good.

Despite the fact that a ball has not been kicked and few of us knew what Brendan was about at the start of this I think we might have our man. 

Time to turn our eyes away from the past and what might have been and time to turn to the future and what in time will be.

YNWA   
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #16: Jun 01, 2012 10:47:03 am
       Totally agree. In the first match of the season if we're playing Norwich Away and one of our defenders gets caught in possession and we concede, all the "experts" will be saying that if we carry on like that we'll go down etc etc. They'll be itching to get stuck into us the minute we get 65% possession and get beat 1-0. As fans though, we've got to be smart enough to see through the bollocks and back our man. Three years minumum, if we haven't progressed by then, perhaps then we should look at it.
      Red Rob 60
      • Forum Ian St John

• 448 posts | 43 
      Reply #17: Jun 01, 2012 10:47:28 am
      The press have already started the sh*t stirring about him not being first choice. Chris Kamara who is a mate of Rodgers was talking about the ex players being the 'liverpool mafai'. We've had far too much turmoil in the last couple of years which frankly I'm tired of and all I want to do is go and cheer and support the team and whoever is in the dugout regardless of who is there. The most important thing is to back Brendan and hope that FSG do the same and do not resort to any more knee jerk decisions. Allez les Rouges !

A lot of those ex players are still living in the past and have been talking out of the wrong orifice for years.

Wouldn't mind seeing a few of them cleared out to Happy Valley or wherever is best for them if they can't remember where they are or who they are talking about to be honest. That means they should back the current manager and the present team and not just the ones from decades ago. This is LFC not some archaeological dig and we have a future to live up to.

Some of them seem to have forgotten what loyalty means.

As for the press... beneath contempt.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #18: Jun 01, 2012 10:55:03 am
      Exactly how I feel, he wasn't my first choice either, but he'll get all of my support 100%.

Spot on mate.

Wasn't my choice either but will back him to the hilt.

Must say that he must have made an impression on me as I had 3 Swansea players in my Fantasy Premier League team come the end of the season!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #19: Jun 01, 2012 11:03:53 am
      Great post Brian.

I will admit, I didn't even consider him as a choice, for a number of reasons. There were loads of names being banded around and it seemed Martinez was going to be the choice. Rafa, Pep and Klopp were probably my first choices.

However, I have known about Brendan for a while due to him being quite local to me. I have tracked his progress. Never once thought he would be LFC manager but everything I have read about Brendan has me very impressed.

He has my full support and I can't wait!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20: Jun 01, 2012 11:06:19 am

Love your work.  ;D
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #21: Jun 02, 2012 06:22:54 pm
      Rodgers must be given two years minimum - unfortunatly i dont think our current fanbase are that paitent.
      Dalglish terdar 12
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #22: Jun 02, 2012 09:21:38 pm
      Rodgers must be given two years minimum - unfortunatly i dont think our current fanbase are that paitent.

In all fairness lad, with the squad we have, we should be challenging this year! Anyways, I'm not really worried, because I am positive Brenny will bring us our first Premiership!

Quick Reply