Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

The Hunter Inside by David McGowan

Read 8565 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: The Hunter Inside by David McGowan
      Reply #23: Jun 07, 2012 09:33:00 pm
      Thanks mate. It's so hard to get them all, but there shouldn't be many. I'm surprised there's one to be honest!

It's not something a spell checker would have picked up because it is just a word used out of context. I'm trying to think which word it is but can't remember off the top of my head so I'll have to look when I'm home.

I had a problem with a couple of page breaks where, despite me doing them right, left a blank page when it converted due to a problem with MS Word that meant I either had a blank page or no space (when one chapter ended on the last line of a page). Very frustrating!

I've seen that in other Kindle books actually so it might be a common problem when converting from Word.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #24: Jun 07, 2012 10:17:27 pm
      Hey Dave. Been on your blog today after you said you'd put up some tips for writing on the 'best book' thread. Enjoying it, some good advice. Considering how I used to write (sitting on my arse waiting for 'inspiration' to hit etc etc) to how I write now (set aside a minimum of a few hours a day and just do it, treat it more like a job and a fulfilling one at that), I recognised some of the things I've learnt in your advice and come across a few new bits which was good, reaffirms my belief that I'm on getting on the right track. Still often writing in chronological order, worry about things not hanging together so well if I jump around too much, but there are times when I just have an idea vividly in my mind for a later part and you just have to get it out there. An important thing I guess though is that when you come to edit you read through in chronological order which resolves the (non) issue I have.

Editing is something I've discussed with a few people, I wonder what your take on it is, how much do you do, how do you do it? When you edit do you find yourself adding and adding or stripping things down? Again I used to barely edit, now I'd say it's at least 95% of the process.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #25: Jun 07, 2012 10:37:28 pm
      Editing is the most important part of the process if you are going to let others read your work. I'm constantly editing as I'm writing. I find that it helps me to read the previous scene or two before I start writing for the day. It helps me settle back into the world I'm creating and remember things about the characters that I forget from a couple of scenes before. Mistakes in books are awful, especially for a perfectionist. I have a degree in English language and literature, so I'm very determined to get it right (that's why I'm intrigued as to what Rep has spotted! ;)). Then, when you finish writing the first draft it's up to you. Do you write a whole second draft based on the first, or do you just edit what you have? I will print the entire manuscript and go through with a red pen spotting mistakes or things that need changing. I'll also be looking out for plot holes, contradictions, words used out of context (thanks Rep!), typos and other grammar misdemeanours. Then I'll go through page by page with my printed version and make the changes. The Hunter Inside went through two drafts which totalled 170,000 words, then the by hand edit, then probably about ten full read and edits, then formatting edits about five or six times. Very time consuming, but ultimately very worth it to the reader. The trick is not to end up hating it by the time it's published, because the marketing aspect is ten times more work than the writing or editing process ever will be!

The best tip I can give you is to have a beta reader who does the hand edit for you too. Big commitment from them, and it should be ideally someone with a high level of literacy, a lot of time on their hands, and an avid reader, especially of your genre. Mine was my friend Chris' mum, Eileen. I could never thank her enough for what she did for me on THI. She's no longer with us, which is why I dedicated the novel to her.

Good luck with your writing mate!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #26: Jun 07, 2012 10:50:08 pm
      Actually, GoW, now I've re-read it and I'm not falling asleep after a night shift, might not be an error at all!

"It had become like quicksand, and had already claimed a little over the tops of his feet..."

On first read, I tight it should have been 'climbed' but claimed does make sense.

I'd question putting a comma before the 'and' though :p
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #27: Jun 07, 2012 11:24:13 pm
      Editing is the most important part of the process if you are going to let others read your work. I'm constantly editing as I'm writing. I find that it helps me to read the previous scene or two before I start writing for the day. It helps me settle back into the world I'm creating and remember things about the characters that I forget from a couple of scenes before. Mistakes in books are awful, especially for a perfectionist. I have a degree in English language and literature, so I'm very determined to get it right (that's why I'm intrigued as to what Rep has spotted! ;)). Then, when you finish writing the first draft it's up to you. Do you write a whole second draft based on the first, or do you just edit what you have? I will print the entire manuscript and go through with a red pen spotting mistakes or things that need changing. I'll also be looking out for plot holes, contradictions, words used out of context (thanks Rep!), typos and other grammar misdemeanours. Then I'll go through page by page with my printed version and make the changes. The Hunter Inside went through two drafts which totalled 170,000 words, then the by hand edit, then probably about ten full read and edits, then formatting edits about five or six times. Very time consuming, but ultimately very worth it to the reader. The trick is not to end up hating it by the time it's published, because the marketing aspect is ten times more work than the writing or editing process ever will be!

The best tip I can give you is to have a beta reader who does the hand edit for you too. Big commitment from them, and it should be ideally someone with a high level of literacy, a lot of time on their hands, and an avid reader, especially of your genre. Mine was my friend Chris' mum, Eileen. I could never thank her enough for what she did for me on THI. She's no longer with us, which is why I dedicated the novel to her.

Good luck with your writing mate!

Definitely more like you now when it comes to editing. Made me chuckle with the trick of not hating your work by the end. Once I have decided I've finished something (i'd go on changing forever if I didn't make myself stop), I can't look at my work for a few weeks after that! Agree on reading back the preceding passages/chapters before jumping back in, I don't always do that but you see the difference in how your work flows when you do do it. I often do a few drafts and rewrites of everything, always rewriting individual paragraphs etc and when I've completed a first draft I often end up rewriting the whole thing on a separate document with the original document on a split screen next to it. Even if I'm largely typing the same thing I find you always notice things that can be sharpened up or dropped or worded in a much better way. The first go through is just capturing the idea so to speak but it's rare to execute it perfectly first go around.

I actually have about 3 beta readers at the moment, my aunt who is taking a book of her own round publishers at the minute and two friends who write a lot too. Main concern I find is even though they don't shy away too much from pointing out errors, I worry they can't be as objective as I'd like. I'm only really just starting to enter the world of writers (just started entering some competitions) as I'm pretty young still and consider myself to be honing the art, experimenting a lot with various styles etc. I've written a ton of short stories but going to try my hand at a novella while I do research for my novel idea, which I estimate will take a few years minimum. Reading a lot of books in preparation for that.

How long have you been writing for? What sort of things did you write before you managed to sit down and complete a full novel? How long did it take for you till you thought you'd found your voice or are you still unsure about that?

Edit: Sorry for all the questions, just interested in your thoughts as your approach seems similar to mine in a fair few ways.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #28: Jun 07, 2012 11:28:39 pm
      Actually, GoW, now I've re-read it and I'm not falling asleep after a night shift, might not be an error at all!

"It had become like quicksand, and had already claimed a little over the tops of his feet..."

On first read, I tight it should have been 'climbed' but claimed does make sense.

I'd question putting a comma before the 'and' though :p

Thought, not tight :P

Commas can be tricky sometimes,

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #29: Jun 07, 2012 11:41:09 pm
      I have the excuse of predictive text!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #30: Jun 08, 2012 12:09:43 am
      Rep, I'm happy with claimed, and the comma! ;)

ls#7 - tired now, but will get back to you tomorrow :)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #31: Jun 11, 2012 08:10:53 am
      I've been writing on and off since I was a teenager. Wrote a lot of poetry and got published, but THI is my first completed novel. Took me years to write as I kept leaving it and putting it aside then coming back to it. My second novel is different though. Much more confident about voice and structure and banging it out. 24,000 words written in about 2 months! The first 10,000 are on my website. Have a look - davidmcgowanauthor.com/blog
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #32: Jun 19, 2012 12:19:16 pm
      Damn you, GoW!

It may have taken me a while to finally sit down and have a proper read but I'm now knackered today because I sat in bed last night thinking, 'just one more chapter'!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #33: Jun 20, 2012 10:49:00 pm
      Haha, you're hooked then! ;)
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #34: Jun 21, 2012 12:07:44 am
      I've downloaded it but I haven't read it. Admitted I don't really read much. I'm saving it for long journeys.

If you did enjoy reading it be sure to leave a positive review, or at least a thumps up :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hunter-Inside-ebook/dp/B0082KLJO6
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #35: Jun 21, 2012 08:26:42 pm
      Thanks mate!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #36: Aug 24, 2012 10:26:17 pm
      Right everyone! Hello!

Most of you will have seen this on Twitter or Facebook, but I wanted to give all my good LFC Family a shout and make you all aware that my debut novel, The Hunter Inside, will be free, worldwide, between Saturday 25th August and Monday 27th August on Amazon. I would love if you downloaded a copy to help me up the Amazon free rankings and let more people see my work. Here is the blurb from Amazon:

You can lock your windows and your doors, but you cannot lock your mind from The Hunter Inside.

Paul Wayans and Bill Arnold have something in common. They are being stalked by a vicious killer.

Sandy Myers, rushing from home with her 7 year-old twins in tow, grabs a letter from the mailbox. It is addressed to Sandy Carson. Her maiden name. Contained within the plain manila envelope is a photograph. A photograph of a corpse.

The past has caught up with them, and now their lives are in jeopardy. A monster more fearsome than any the world has ever seen is hunting them, bringing with it echoes from the past and threatening the future of civilisation.

Should they run, or should they stand and fight?

FBI Special Agent Sam O’Neill will fight desperately to solve a case that he could not solve ten years before. Then, he had no clues as to the identity of the vicious killer. This time, it’s different.

But can he find them before it’s too late? And if he does not, will ANYONE survive?

The Hunter Inside is a psychological thriller with a twist. It is a page-turning roller-coaster of a novel that you won’t be able to put down until all of its secrets, twists and turns have been revealed. Packed full of gruesome murders, fear and suspense, it harbors a monster so fearsome it will give you nightmares.

Shimasou is here – and no-one is safe.

And here are the links:

Amazon UK

Amazon.com

Thanks everyone! :) Oh, and spread the word eh? ;)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #37: Aug 24, 2012 10:29:22 pm
      This is perfect, just in time as I got myself a Kindle, so I can read your book. Looking forward to it.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #38: Aug 24, 2012 10:42:28 pm
      Double perfect, as it's free! ;)

If you like it, I want a review! :D

Thanks Diego!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #39: Aug 25, 2012 10:37:13 pm
      Have you all been and got your free copy yet?

More than 1,400 other people have TODAY, so what are you waiting for? ;)

It's global, it's viral, it's The Hunter Inside!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #40: Aug 25, 2012 10:44:28 pm
      I've not seen this thread before, but I got one today after seeing redkenny's tweet this morning.  Looking forward to reading it Gow, fantastic that you are a published author!  Well in!  And the very best of luck with it.  Mindblowing that you've actually written a novel, and I say that, like WOW!  F***ing amazing!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #41: Aug 25, 2012 10:55:04 pm
      Haha, thanks :)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #42: Aug 26, 2012 09:03:05 am
      Have you all been and got your free copy yet?

More than 1,400 other people have TODAY, so what are you waiting for? ;)

It's global, it's viral, it's The Hunter Inside!

My 11 year old nephew downloaded it for me from kindle last night mate...now I have to figure out how to get it off him  ???   Can't wait. Love free stuff.  ;D
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #43: Aug 27, 2012 12:45:31 pm
      Ha! Cheers Ian. It's done almost 11,000 downloads now, and is number 1 in the amazon.com top 100 free suspense charts. But keep spreading the word - I want 20,000 downloads by tonight!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #44: Aug 27, 2012 01:49:50 pm
      Congratulations Gow and very well deserved, I know how hard you've worked on this.

Lauren was most impressed and couldn't wait to download it onto her kindle  :)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #45: Aug 27, 2012 05:10:25 pm
      It's done almost 11,000 downloads now, and is number 1 in the amazon.com top 100 free suspense charts. But keep spreading the word - I want 20,000 downloads by tonight!

Great stuff mate, just got it for me and put it on my recently acquired Kindle ;D Gonna read soon.

Quick Reply