Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Gylfi Sigurðsson (Hoffenheim)

Read 71597 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Gylfi Sigurðsson (Hoffenheim)
      Reply #920: Jul 03, 2012 11:10:37 pm
      Agree with this wholeheartedly. From the outside looking in it is a very confusing transfer policy we seem to have, perhaps if he was English we'd be more than happy to pay that fee or reported wages. Like you fields I'll be disappointed to miss out on this at such a cheap price and hope we've got something in reserve, if it turns out we haven't and we're left scratching our head when the window closes it will paint an absolutely massive question mark about FSG.

Maybe splashing out the exorbitant fees on those players (plus wages) has meant we have to manage our wage bill.  Haven't got the cash flow from CL football, so maybe we're having to cut our cloth accordingly.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #921: Jul 03, 2012 11:17:03 pm
      Then we're potentially approaching a sell to buy policy if true Rodders, especially on the wages front and that's an extremely depressing proposition considering the mess that is our midfield. I honestly don't believe we're at that point however the inability to shift on Cole or Aquilani this summer would certainly hinder the offers we can make (contract rather than transfer fee) and I wonder the bearing they're having on the thoughts of the accountants.

Time is the only thing that will reveal all of course.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #922: Jul 03, 2012 11:22:44 pm
      Then we're potentially approaching a sell to buy policy if true Rodders, especially on the wages front and that's an extremely depressing proposition considering the mess that is our midfield. I honestly don't believe we're at that point however the inability to shift on Cole or Aquilani this summer would certainly hinder the offers we can make (contract rather than transfer fee) and I wonder the bearing they're having on the thoughts of the accountants.

Time is the only thing that will reveal all of course.

Depressing?  FSG always said we'd be operating within a budget that we created, never expected them to do anything else.  But sell to buy has always existed, sometimes you buy then sell, but it's been ever thus, because if you just buy, you'll end up with too many players or too little money.  Not going to get down over something that has always existed, just because now it has a name.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #923: Jul 04, 2012 12:08:38 am
      I am truly surprised by the page count on this fella--The rhetoric on here would fool somebody into thinking we were signing the next Zidane or Messi. Ya, He did well last half a season. Unwanted by his parent club. Does not want to sign for us. Ok. I will shed no tears if we don't get him. LFC fans getting so worked up for this fellow is degrading in my opinion.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #924: Jul 04, 2012 12:16:44 am
      Seen a lad post on Facebook saying he is a done deal for spurs and that we would not match the wages he was offered at spurs!!!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #925: Jul 04, 2012 12:19:51 am
      Take it in context Max, many are using it as a barometer to the rest of the window as it's clear we are/were very interested and we're trying to read between the lines as to our budget both wages and initial fee. So as much as many on here would like Gylfi I think he's played a bit of a back seat in what has been more an attempt to look into the wallet of FSG and at the moment it's not looking like it's bulging but I hold out hope that they've simply forgotten to go to the cash point, been stung like that before though!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #926: Jul 04, 2012 12:22:56 am
      Seen a lad post on Facebook saying he is a done deal for spurs and that we would not match the wages he was offered at spurs!!!

How would a lad on Facebook no anything mate? He's probably right but he's probably just repeating what every single 'news' outlet has reported.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #927: Jul 04, 2012 12:38:36 am
      Take it in context Max, many are using it as a barometer to the rest of the window as it's clear we are/were very interested and we're trying to read between the lines as to our budget both wages and initial fee. So as much as many on here would like Gylfi I think he's played a bit of a back seat in what has been more an attempt to look into the wallet of FSG and at the moment it's not looking like it's bulging but I hold out hope that they've simply forgotten to go to the cash point, been stung like that before though!
      I agree with you. However it could also mean, BR and the board don't want to overpay him. See BR worked with him and he knows his worth. If Rodgers thinks he is worth it i am sure we would be pulling no stops. As in this case Totemham are more desperate than us especially after ofloading Krancjar and possibly modric (I also read that VDV was not impressed about the approach for AVB). But the point is our manager knows the player and his worth. And who am i to question or argue against his better judgement. Moreover the Board are bussinessmen and know value when they see one so if he is worth it they will pay him good wages and i am not sure Totenham are offering anything above 40k pw for such an unproven player.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #928: Jul 04, 2012 12:47:52 am
      Have we really steeped this low? decent player but FFS 32 pages!

I think for most people its the fact he has chosen Spurs over us that's getting to them, not his actual ability as a player.

craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #929: Jul 04, 2012 12:57:23 am
      Have we really steeped this low? decent player but FFS 32 pages!

I think for most people its the fact he has chosen Spurs over us that's getting to them, not his actual ability as a player.

For me it's not so much the thing with spurs, it's us not wrapping this up in the 1st week. And it's plain to see the quality is definetly there, a season or two and spurs won't even remember who Modric is ( if he leaves).
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #930: Jul 04, 2012 01:15:41 am
      When meidiocre class players,can start to influence the transfer market,then then the time is to bail out.Sigurdson my arse.Play for the badge,or opt for wannabee.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #931: Jul 04, 2012 01:30:15 am
      Seems like he would have been a good pickup but I trust our manager and if we aren't getting this lad then in my mind BR didnt rate him worth the trouble or he has bigger fish to fry.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #932: Jul 04, 2012 02:06:55 am
      Don't come crying to Brendan when AVB leaves you on the bench.

Enjoy your wages.
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #933: Jul 04, 2012 04:05:56 am
      They have better midfield than ours. Hope he ends in bench.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #934: Jul 04, 2012 08:47:40 am
      I think it is quite obvious that the silence of Sigurdsson is down to the fact Spurs haven't announced Boas as their manager yet. As soon as he is appointed, they will probably announce his signing a few hours later.
      Very few of the probables in these comments have any wieght to them.
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2012 09:25:20 am by stuey »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #935: Jul 04, 2012 09:17:13 am

"Without a doubt"? Interesting; I would have thought it wouldn't have been so clear cut 7KK7.

See my thinking is that it's better for Liverpool that we sign the manager's first choice players rather than settle for the 'make do' option. That would go for all players too not just Gylfi by the way.

Who knows; maybe, (if he goes to Spurs), it'll be down to where he believes he'll get more playing time or he'll have more chance of 'glory'. The thing is; because we weren't prepared (it would seem) to match Spurs' wage offer, we may never know.

There's no point in crying over spilt milk. However, to the same extent, there's no mileage to be gained from brushing aside the idea that we may lose one or more, first choice, targets with "he can do one" bravado. At some point, (second, third or fourth time we are 'out-muscled'), the penny will drop.

We need to sign players who the manager believes will improve our squad; players he wants. He needs to be backed. Otherwise we run the risk of having a transfer 'policy' which is based more on cost than ability.

Listen, as I've said before, maybe (if it does indeed transpire that we lose out here), the money we've saved will be put to better use but (to my mind) hedging your bets is a risky strategy. Unless, of course, the 'money men' already know that there's another player, in another position, available and willing, at a definitive cost/wage. In such a scenario we won't have long to wait.  8)

Take it in context Max, many are using it as a barometer to the rest of the window as it's clear we are/were very interested and we're trying to read between the lines as to our budget both wages and initial fee. So as much as many on here would like Gylfi I think he's played a bit of a back seat in what has been more an attempt to look into the wallet of FSG and at the moment it's not looking like it's bulging...

Exactly Luke and an easy enough concept to grasp, I would have thought.  :nod:

« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2012 09:27:44 am by bad boy bubby »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #936: Jul 04, 2012 09:36:32 am
      Seems like he would have been a good pickup but I trust our manager and if we aren't getting this lad then in my mind BR didnt rate him worth the trouble or he has bigger fish to fry.

... and nothing to do with money (lack of) or backing from FSG? Hmmm... you've got me thinking as to why 'Brendan' didn't just withdraw the bid and offer then.

Maybe it's me that's being F***ing stupid here but if Brendan "didn't rate him worth the trouble" why run the risk of having to pay for him? In fact: why even bid for him?

My brain hurts.  :dunceblock:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #937: Jul 04, 2012 10:24:32 am
      Very few of the probables in these comments have any wieght to them.

Well 1 out of 2 wasn't bad!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #938: Jul 04, 2012 10:32:49 am
      Passable mate passable, the vast majority tho are people thinking aloud.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #939: Jul 04, 2012 12:03:45 pm
      Ain't Sig the "ideal" money ball signing?.

To be honest I'm pissed at the board for allowing the deal to collapse over wages if our Manager wanted him.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #940: Jul 04, 2012 12:16:13 pm
      Ain't Sig the "ideal" money ball signing?.

To be honest I'm pissed at the board for allowing the deal to collapse over wages if our Manager wanted him.

Again, apart from Rodgers saying he'd look at Gylfi if he came available, has he actually said he's a key signing and we'd do anything to sign him, including what Rodgers may feel is overpaying him or are people just looking for weapons to attack FGS with?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #941: Jul 04, 2012 12:27:19 pm
      Again, apart from Rodgers saying he'd look at Gylfi if he came available, has he actually said he's a key signing and we'd do anything to sign him, including what Rodgers may feel is overpaying him or are people just looking for weapons to attack FGS with?
      Exactly, Rodgers' casual comment has been transformed into a statement of intent by the media, agents, uncle T Cobly and all, it fills news space and empty minds.   
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #942: Jul 04, 2012 12:36:43 pm
      Signed for the Spuds

This one's over.

Quick Reply