Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Laptop Assistance

Read 34714 times
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Re: Laptop Assistance
      Reply #46: Aug 16, 2012 01:50:24 pm
      Sounds as if the battery is goosed.

Have you removed the battery, used the magic blowing on all the connections and replacing the battery?

How old is it?

I'll give that a shot now mate.

It's only a year old? :-\
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #47: Aug 16, 2012 02:18:18 pm
      Warrantee still valid. Battery should not fail after a year!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #48: Aug 16, 2012 02:24:48 pm
      Should be 2 year on the battery
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #49: Aug 16, 2012 03:01:53 pm
      I downloaded Notebook Hardware Control, and the battery status comes up as this;

Any ideas? Or should I just e-mail Asus?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #50: Aug 16, 2012 03:24:35 pm
      I'd give them a call/e.mail.  They may have a recall on them.

Good luck
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #51: Aug 16, 2012 03:50:08 pm
      Sounds as if the battery is goosed.

Have you removed the battery, used the magic blowing on all the connections and replacing the battery?

How old is it?
      Battery.  Most laptops need a battery in order to run when plugged in. If the battery is shot it cant run on AC.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #52: Aug 16, 2012 04:26:11 pm
      I'd give them a call/e.mail.  They may have a recall on them.

Good luck

Cheers mate, sent them an e-mail there. So here's hoping I can get something out of it.

Battery.  Most laptops need a battery in order to run when plugged in. If the battery is shot it cant run on AC.

That's what I'm doing with it now mate. Just annoyed it's fried after a year.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #53: Aug 16, 2012 06:14:28 pm

Did not know that, but I was getting at the battery may not be able to hold a charge, thus no AC, no power.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #54: Aug 17, 2012 05:25:16 pm
       Looking to buy a laptop personally and was just 'googling' about which company to look for. It seems for middle-range prices Dell and HP's products are the best I can find. Any advice here??
      NaumanChoudry
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      • ☆★ Liverpool Football Club!
      Reply #55: Aug 20, 2012 12:46:45 am
      Can anyone help me I have a problem with my laptop.

Basically it won't work unless it's plugged in and charging.

The icon on the task bar says Fully Charged 100%. But the second I unplug it it switches off?

This literally just happened this morning and I don't think here's been any drop or bang to it?

Same thing happened too me a couple weeks back.. It just means the battery is defective and you need too replace it.. My one messed up after 2 years.. Pretty average :) If it's still in warranty contact the manufacturer or take it back to where you bought it from!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #56: Aug 22, 2012 10:53:56 pm
      Looking to buy a laptop personally and was just 'googling' about which company to look for. It seems for middle-range prices Dell and HP's products are the best I can find. Any advice here??
      I have owned a lot of Laptops. I had a Dell, Gateway, HP, Asus....Hands down the best laptops I ever owned were all Toshiba. I have friends who have Toshibas and they will never buy anything but a Toshiba. I have had 4 Toshiba laptops. I still have 2 of them and they work great. Never had 1 hardware or software failure. The batteries hold a good charge and just regular online use you can get 4-5 hrs easy. Plus they are relatively low cost. You can get a i7, 6gb Ram, 750 gb HD, Windows 7/8 for $750.00 US. or get the same w/ the i3 for $525.00 US. The only thing is too make sure you get one w/ the flat black color and not the shiny case. Fingerprints and dust show up like crazy....but thats a piss complaint anyway.

They have a great website in case you need updated drivers or programs. I will never not have a Toshiba.

Thats just my opinion but if you know anyone who has a Toshiba laptop, just ask them if they like it. I have never heard of a solid complaint against them. A few years ago some of their laptops were installed w/ a defective wifi card and they not only replaced them for free but upgraded them from wireless g to wireless n and gave people a free Toshiba Canvio external HD.

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #57: Aug 22, 2012 11:09:31 pm
      Did not know that, but I was getting at the battery may not be able to hold a charge, thus no AC, no power.
      A little correction. I stated that "most" laptops....need a battery.

Its not"most" but there are some that wont run on AC if the battery is removed or if it is defective or blown. I know that some of the Lenovo/IBM laptops wouldnt work w/out a battery installed, i also read that Acer has some models that wont run either, but those are the only ones I know for sure and that was about 5-6 years ago.
      NaumanChoudry
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      • ☆★ Liverpool Football Club!
      Reply #58: Aug 25, 2012 03:59:10 pm

I've owned laptops from Toshiba, Sony, Samsung's, HP's & A crappy Asus NetBook.

And by far Sony Vaio's are excellent laptops no faults excellent customer service even though they are expensive they are excellent laptops!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #59: Sep 09, 2012 07:45:48 pm
      Can anyone help with this problem please?  A couple of weeks ago I downloaded sopcast and something called ilivid that I needed to run sopcast.  Everything was great, I watched the match with very few problems, but the next day when I logged on (I use chrome as my browser) there was a prompt and I stupidly clicked yes without thinking.  I've only mentioned sopcast because that was the only thing I had downloaded, it may have nothing to do with the problem.

Preamble over, ever since I clicked yes, the address of every site I visit is prefixed with:

"a bookmarked page shape" chrome://newtabhttp//page address

The only site that doesn't have this prefix is twitter and that has a padlock shape before the page address.

The problem that I have, and I assume it must be related is that ever since it's messing my internet usage up, for example, I cannot access the offal at all, unless it's through twitter links, and if I try to navigate off the linked page, I either get the different page options as headers and no detail underneath or just a white page.

And worse still, and the most frustrating, is that quite often I can't read threads on here, if I click on a thread from the front page, I see the top of the last page of the thread but cannot move down, or go back a page (or to any page), or do anything.  The page seems to be locked, and I can't navigate out of it, so I have to close the tab and log on again.  And it keeps happening.  I've tried accessing threads from the first post, sometimes that works but not always.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it.  I've tried deleting my browsing history but that didn't help.  I ran a full system scan but got no bad results.  Have I got myself another virus ???  Or am I being incredibly thick (fingers crossed I am!)  Can anyone suggest a solution?  Bear in mind, I am the equivalent of a doughnut when it comes to techy stuff please!

This is the address that I see for this post:

chrome://newtabhttp//www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/board,16/action,post2.html
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #60: Sep 09, 2012 07:57:54 pm
      Can anyone help with this problem please?  A couple of weeks ago I downloaded sopcast and something called ilivid that I needed to run sopcast.  Everything was great, I watched the match with very few problems, but the next day when I logged on (I use chrome as my browser) there was a prompt and I stupidly clicked yes without thinking.  I've only mentioned sopcast because that was the only thing I had downloaded, it may have nothing to do with the problem.

Preamble over, ever since I clicked yes, the address of every site I visit is prefixed with:

"a bookmarked page shape" chrome://newtabhttp//page address

The only site that doesn't have this prefix is twitter and that has a padlock shape before the page address.

The problem that I have, and I assume it must be related is that ever since it's messing my internet usage up, for example, I cannot access the offal at all, unless it's through twitter links, and if I try to navigate off the linked page, I either get the different page options as headers and no detail underneath or just a white page.

And worse still, and the most frustrating, is that quite often I can't read threads on here, if I click on a thread from the front page, I see the top of the last page of the thread but cannot move down, or go back a page (or to any page), or do anything.  The page seems to be locked, and I can't navigate out of it, so I have to close the tab and log on again.  And it keeps happening.  I've tried accessing threads from the first post, sometimes that works but not always.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it.  I've tried deleting my browsing history but that didn't help.  I ran a full system scan but got no bad results.  Have I got myself another virus ???  Or am I being incredibly thick (fingers crossed I am!)  Can anyone suggest a solution?  Bear in mind, I am the equivalent of a doughnut when it comes to techy stuff please!

This is the address that I see for this post:

chrome://newtabhttp//www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/board,16/action,post2.html
      Click on the wrench at the top right of Chrome, then settings. Now click Extensions.

See if there is any you don't know and disable them, then restart Chrome.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #61: Sep 09, 2012 08:17:28 pm
      Click on the wrench at the top right of Chrome, then settings. Now click Extensions.

See if there is any you don't know and disable them, then restart Chrome.

Thank you!!  There was a new tab extension that I binned.  It looks like it's got rid of the prefix on the address, and I got straight into this thread.  Checked the offal as well, but still have a problem with that site.

:ernaehrung004:
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #62: Sep 09, 2012 09:07:35 pm
      No problem :)

Whats happening with the offal, is it just not loading?
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #63: Sep 09, 2012 09:28:59 pm
      No problem :)

Whats happening with the offal, is it just not loading?

Yeah, I just get the header and a blank page underneath...

Hang on, after leaving it load for a bit, it's working, just really slow loading the content.

It's all working fine at the moment, I've had a good click around.  Thank you so much!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #64: Oct 03, 2012 03:06:01 am
      I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to technology, I kind of learn what I need to and no more.  I started a defrag earlier,last one I did was inMarch, and it said I had a 100GB of used space 40GB of unused, now it's saying I've got 77GB and 63B respectively.  That seems, to the uneducated man I am, a lot of space to regain.  Does this mean I'm not defragging often enough, have I possibly deleted stuff I need or is this just normal?

whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #65: Nov 17, 2012 05:28:08 pm
      Need help please.  I left my laptop on the settee while I went to phone my mum and got back and the screen resolution is screwed up (cat must have sat on the keyboard).  Everything is squashed and fat.  Tried  <ctrl> <-> and that does nothing  apart from make it small, squashed and fat.

Can anyone help please? :(

Oh, and the text is all bold by the look of it, bold and blurry.

:(
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #66: Nov 17, 2012 05:32:40 pm
      Have you tried ctrl alt del?
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #67: Nov 17, 2012 05:44:17 pm

That doesn't do it Gareth, thanks for the suggestion though!

I have shut down and logged on again but it's still the same.  Can still post like, but everything looks odd.

Edit:  Sort of sorted it, not looking quite as it was but it ain't squished any more!  Went to control panel and adjusted the screen resolution from there.
      « Last Edit: Nov 17, 2012 06:08:41 pm by whyohwhyohwhy »
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #68: Jul 11, 2015 05:03:41 pm
      A few weeks ago my laptop crashed with the error BAD_POOL_HEADER. It's an Asus laptop running windows 8.

Usually I would do some looking into the issue and see if there was anything I could do to fix it myself and learn a bit in the process. However I am going to Chile for 5 months next week (was originally supposed to leave last week) and I badly need my Laptop whilst over there for the usual keeping in touch with family, friends etc. but more importantly for work. So I just brought it to a computer repair shop.

I gave it to them, and told them that I needed it back before my original fly date. They took out the Hard drive and put a new one in. A day after getting it back it broke again. Same issue, this time they said it was the motherboard. The day I went to get it back I started it in the shop and it didn't even work there. They took it back a last time, eventually hassled to get it back and to no surprise it packed it in again.

I've done a bit of my own research since I got it back as I have no faith in the shop anymore. It's a memory issue but and I don't have the Windows 8 bootable disk to reset the system. But I've noticed a few articles mentioning third party antivirus as a possible cause. I use Bitdefender and after originally getting it back from the shop I installed the 2015 version and the next day it crashed again? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this? I have it up and running at the moment but it can crash at any moment and take a while to get back going again. Will uninstalling the antivirus work? Obviously I don't want to just do it in hope after spending quite a bit of money on the initial repairs then the new antivirus.

Quick Reply