Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Steve Clarke Appointed WBA Gaffer

Read 10207 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Steve Clark Appointed WBA Gaffer
      Reply #23: Nov 24, 2012 03:58:54 pm
      If memory serves, didn't Steve resign?
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #24: Nov 24, 2012 03:59:08 pm
      WBA 3rd with part of our disasterous management team Steve Clarke managing them.Maybe FSG should have looked for continuity I dont think Clarke even got a mention.

But would Steve Clark have taken the job?

He showed his loyalty to Kenny by wanting to resign when Kenny lost his job as manager.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #25: Nov 24, 2012 03:59:45 pm
      Totally agree, never understood why we let him go. Doing an amazing job with West Brom when you consider it.

Went to allow BR to bring in his own people
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #26: Nov 24, 2012 05:07:44 pm
      According to Steve he was fired. He holds no grudges against the club, understands why it happened.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/west-brom-manager-steve-clarke-bears-no-grudge-despite-revealing-he-was-sacked-by-liverpool-8056889.html

I'm happy he's doing so well. I hope he saves some more wins for matches against clubs ahead of us.  :)
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,220 posts | 917 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #27: Nov 24, 2012 05:13:58 pm
      Well done Steve, pity we sacked him!
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #28: Nov 24, 2012 05:30:47 pm
      Nice to see him do well as a ex-red who obviously showed us respect.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #29: Nov 24, 2012 05:32:55 pm
      According to Steve he was fired. He holds no grudges against the club, understands why it happened.

Wish I knew why he got the bullet.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #30: Nov 24, 2012 05:35:02 pm

I thought at the time it was believed that he didn't want to work under Rodgers, as he has previously worked over Rodgers at Chelsea? And to further his solo career perhaps.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #31: Nov 24, 2012 05:35:42 pm
      Went to allow BR to bring in his own people

I know that George, still doesn't explain it well enough for me. As much as someone likes to bring in their whole regime a quality coach shouldn't be overlooked just to make room. Brendan is someone who appreciates knowledge and ideas, Clarke appears full of them and could of easily been an asset. So when I say "I never understood why" doesn't translate to I don't know the reasons that were given.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #32: Nov 24, 2012 05:35:45 pm

Because BR wanted to bring in his own assistant manager and coaching staff
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #33: Nov 24, 2012 05:39:56 pm
      I know that George, still doesn't explain it well enough for me. As much as someone likes to bring in their whole regime a quality coach shouldn't be overlooked just to make room. Brendan is someone who appreciates knowledge and ideas, Clarke appears full of them and could of easily been an asset. So when I say "I never understood why" doesn't translate to I don't know the reasons that were given.

The only person that could answer that then is BR.

Clark has made a good start but the season is long - and he could just as easily go on a run of defeats.

He did well for us but he obviously had ambitions of being a manager as well as the obvious BR own staff.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #34: Nov 24, 2012 05:53:10 pm

Clark has made a good start but the season is long - and he could just as easily go on a run of defeats.

He did well for us but he obviously had ambitions of being a manager as well as the obvious BR own staff.

I think you're right there George. I would be very surprised if Clarke and West Brom can keep these run of results up. If the results in this first part of the season is anything to go by then he was wasted in his role as an assistant manager and there would be absolutely no reason at all for him to continue as an assistant at this club.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,173 posts | 8549 
      Reply #35: Nov 24, 2012 05:55:58 pm
      If memory serves, didn't Steve resign?

No was sacked by us, Brendan didn't want to work with him.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #36: Nov 24, 2012 05:56:19 pm

Yeah he did but was willing to stay on in his role, as Frankly says he had ambitions to be a manager and was too good it appears for the assistants role, hence why I'm unsure he wasn't utilised. Not often you're given the chance to keep someone who is too good for their job, also agree that West Brom will probably go on a poor run soon enough, he's still got them playing fantastically and far above where I expected them to be at this stage of the season and that alone deserves a bit of scrutiny and respect for what he's achieved so far.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #37: Nov 24, 2012 06:01:40 pm
      Yeah he did but was willing to stay on in his role, as Frankly says he had ambitions to be a manager and was too good it appears for the assistants role, hence why I'm unsure he wasn't utilised. Not often you're given the chance to keep someone who is too good for their job, also agree that West Brom will probably go on a poor run soon enough, he's still got them playing fantastically and far above where I expected them to be at this stage of the season and that alone deserves a bit of scrutiny and respect for what he's achieved so far.

I think maybe BR didn't think his coaching methods were the way BR wanted to approach things.

Clarke is obviously a very good coach - especially when it comes to defending and he would have been useful to keep but BR I guess just wanted a whole new regime there and to surround himself with people who work with his methods.

I hope Clark does well in his career as he always seemed to be very respectful
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38: Nov 24, 2012 06:07:35 pm
      I think maybe BR didn't think his coaching methods were the way BR wanted to approach things.

Clarke is obviously a very good coach - especially when it comes to defending and he would have been useful to keep but BR I guess just wanted a whole new regime there and to surround himself with people who work with his methods.

I hope Clark does well in his career as he always seemed to be very respectful

That's the logical conclusion, I think the real reason may be more to do with too many cooks and establishing authority. Bringing in his own number 2, he knows the relationship, he's the big chief so to speak and the other guy already toes the line but that of course is pure speculation on my part.

Our defensive record this season is partially distorted due to the number of individual mistakes that have cost us goals too so to suggest Clarke may have kept us tighter at the back could be wrong but it's something I lean towards having watched us last season under Kenny and how good we were defensively (a lot of the credit given to and accepted by Clarke).

As you say George, he seems a very nice guy too so I'd wish him well too unless he's playing us of course.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #39: Nov 24, 2012 06:11:19 pm
      That's the logical conclusion, I think the real reason may be more to do with too many cooks and establishing authority. Bringing in his own number 2, he knows the relationship, he's the big chief so to speak and the other guy already toes the line but that of course is pure speculation on my part.

Our defensive record this season is partially distorted due to the number of individual mistakes that have cost us goals too so to suggest Clarke may have kept us tighter at the back could be wrong but it's something I lean towards having watched us last season under Kenny and how good we were defensively (a lot of the credit given to and accepted by Clarke).

As you say George, he seems a very nice guy too so I'd wish him well too unless he's playing us of course.

Yeah BR has to make his stamp on the place - At Chelsea BR was below Clark in the pecking order so it could have been hard for Clarke to work alongside BR ( pure speculation of course )

I think we have defended well but as you say too many individual errors and also not had a settled back 4 yet as well as Pepe being out.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #40: Nov 24, 2012 09:00:33 pm
      Can someone fix the spelling in the OP.

Has proven me wrong, Steve Clarke.
      The more I see WBA this year the more I rue our bad summer last season.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #41: Nov 24, 2012 11:08:06 pm
      Alot of people, myself included said that he'd be a big loss to our team, clearly had a lot of influence on our game and has done very well at WBA. I thought the situation was that BR asked him not to quit cos he wanted to work with him but the board wanted all of the people that had worked closely with Kenny out and to start afresh?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #42: Nov 24, 2012 11:12:01 pm
      Alot of people, myself included said that he'd be a big loss to our team, clearly had a lot of influence on our game and has done very well at WBA. I thought the situation was that BR asked him not to quit cos he wanted to work with him but the board wanted all of the people that had worked closely with Kenny out and to start afresh?

If that is true why didn't they accept his resignation when he first offered it ?

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,173 posts | 8549 
      Reply #43: Nov 25, 2012 11:17:33 am
      If that is true why didn't they accept his resignation when he first offered it ?

Answers on a postcard to:

What the F**k goes through our owners minds
      PO Box I'm a mind-reader
      Anfield
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #44: Nov 25, 2012 11:45:01 am
      Answers on a postcard to:

What the f**k goes through our owners minds
      PO Box I'm a mind-reader
      Anfield
      Or answers on a postcard to FSG
      Owners with out a clue
      Boston.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Re: Steve Clarke Appointed WBA Gaffer
      Reply #45: Sep 28, 2013 10:50:15 pm
      Got some decent forwards at the Baggies has Clarke.

Played some decent footy too.

Quick Reply