Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Alberto Aquilani (LFC -> Fiorentina/AC Milan)

Read 59651 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Alberto Aquilani (Liverpool -> AC Milan)
      Reply #23: Jun 16, 2012 01:50:45 pm
      If we keep him here , reserves or not we have to fork out 4M per year , for what for a player who will not give us anything back if he is thrown in the ressies
       so why not close this chapter for good and sell him for 4M (  I think most italian clubs will want him at that price) and gain that money instead  of giving it to him
         after all does rodgers want  to give him a  second chance here ?
        YNWA

If anybody offered us 4 million quid for him mate I'm sure we would bite their hands off. That's the point though, nobody wants him for a fee and the dilemma we are facing is ripping up his contract and giving him a 4 million quid going away present, or keeping him and paying him 8 million quid until his contract runs out. Bit of a tricky one, but I remain convinced he is the worst signing in the history of Liverpool football club. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #24: Jun 16, 2012 01:58:12 pm
      If anybody offered us 4 million quid for him mate I'm sure we would bite their hands off. That's the point though, nobody wants him for a fee and the dilemma we are facing is ripping up his contract and giving him a 4 million quid going away present, or keeping him and paying him 8 million quid until his contract runs out. Bit of a tricky one, but I remain convinced he is the worst signing in the history of Liverpool football club. 

Having seen Paul Stewart gift the mancs a goal at Anfield I can categorically say he isn't!!

And I've seen Sean Dundee too.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #25: Jun 16, 2012 02:16:48 pm
      Having seen Paul Stewart gift the mancs a goal at Anfield I can categorically say he isn't!!

And I've seen Sean Dundee too.

Both poor players, but pound for pound in terms of value, I'd still put Aquiani above/below them.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #26: Jun 16, 2012 02:23:01 pm
      Both poor players, but pound for pound in terms of value, I'd still put Aquiani above/below them.

At the time Stewart was an expensive mistake.

Bit unfair on Aquilani then isn't it in terms of value, he looked more of a football player than the other two. And you can't exactly go comparing what we paid for players in different times, all players today are probably overpriced
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Jun 16, 2012 02:40:17 pm
      I don't get all the vitriol towards him I really don't, this situation is not of his own making.

Rafa buys him, he has a season recuperating.

Aquilani then spends the summer talking about how much he's looking forward to starting the new season with us.

Rafa gets sacked Roy comes in, Roy and Cecil go about buying Central Midfielders and Attacking Midfielders and ship Aquilani out on loan with an agreed fee.

This is the point where if that loan had not happened, he may have went on to become a real fans favorite.

Aquilani then spends his time saying he would like to remain in Italy but wouldn't be adverse to staying in Liverpool.

Kenny then comes in buys some Central Midfielders and Attacking midfielders.

Aquilani returns and seeks some reassurances as anyone would in the same situation, lets be honest the club had deemed him as not good enough the previous year by loaning him out and having an agreed fee.

Kenny then loans him out with an agreed fee again.

So whilst Aquilani may want to remain in Italy.

Can you F***ing blame him ?

I certainly can't, for the past two years we have whored him around Italy and not really given him a chance.

Bring him back is what I say, he's better than most of our midfield options and better than most of them will ever be.

Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #28: Jun 16, 2012 03:08:39 pm
      Cant wait till he has gone and this thread to be locked.

Simple fact is that he was a poor signing....the cherry on top of the disaster that was the treatment of Xabi Alonso who was 'whored' around europe while we tried to bring is the awesome Barry.

Aquilani has contributed a whopping 3 goals in over 55 games on loan in 2 seasons. While he was here he was permanently injured with a sore foot or back or a broken nail...and the burnley game aside which boosted his stats did little to suggest that it would be any different.

He does not want to be here...never wanted to be here and the reason he beats around the bush and doesn't say it is just incase he ends up back here. Once he has gone I am sure he will talk about how much he didn't want to be here.

The fact that no club wants to touch a him for a fee of over 4m speaks volumes about the player. He is not that good and obviously is not that highly rated around europe.

He was a flop..end of story. We have had worse players, much worse...but we have had in the past and will do again in the future much better players..who want to be here.

Tata Aqua lad and dont let the door hit your over-rated backside on the way out. Won't be wasting any more time in this thread talking about a player who doesn't want to be here...buy your contract out and do one!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #29: Jun 16, 2012 03:19:30 pm

Simple fact is that he was a poor signing....the cherry on top of the disaster that was the treatment of Xabi Alonso who was 'whored' around europe while we tried to bring is the awesome Barry.

Aquilani has contributed a whopping 3 goals in over 55 games on loan in 2 seasons. While he was here he was permanently injured with a sore foot or back or a broken nail...and the burnley game aside which boosted his stats did little to suggest that it would be any different.

He does not want to be here...never wanted to be here and the reason he beats around the bush and doesn't say it is just incase he ends up back here. Once he has gone I am sure he will talk about how much he didn't want to be here.

The fact that no club wants to touch a him for a fee of over 4m speaks volumes about the player. He is not that good and obviously is not that highly rated around europe.

He was a flop..end of story. We have had worse players, much worse...but we have had in the past and will do again in the future much better players..who want to be here.

Tata Aqua lad and dont let the door hit your over-rated backside on the way out. Won't be wasting any more time in this thread talking about a player who doesn't want to be here...buy your contract out and do one!!

Got to agree with Redblood a bit here, not his fault that everything went tits up thanks to the Snake and the two cowboys.

And hardly made to feel wanted since then, can understand slightly why he wouldn't want to come back, truth is apart from Lucas and Gerrard, Aquilani is better than most central midfielders we have currently on the books
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #30: Jun 16, 2012 03:31:02 pm
      Got to agree with Redblood a bit here, not his fault that everything went tits up thanks to the Snake and the two cowboys.

And hardly made to feel wanted since then, can understand slightly why he wouldn't want to come back, truth is apart from Lucas and Gerrard, Aquilani is better than most central midfielders we have currently on the books
      That's my feeling too.

We need so much improvement to our roster. Aquilani --even his harshest critics would agree -- is a decent midfielder. I think he's better than that, but at WORST he'd do an acceptable job for us in early Europa and cup matches. So why not keep him, save some money on his position, and spend our money on the striker/wingers we need more desperately.

Otherwise, it looks like if we sell him we'll get very little, or if we loan him we'll have to pay part of his salary.

Keep him. To me that makes more sense. 
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #31: Jun 16, 2012 04:01:33 pm

Ah blame him for Alonso too, see you flogging the dead horse again.

Quality player who should never have lost his spot to our new arrivals and should never have been loaned out to Juve.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #32: Jun 16, 2012 04:24:11 pm

Surely if he is better than most of the central midfielders we currently have on our books our managers and coaching staff would have recognised the fact? So why would they then loan him out - try to sell him - try to force a sale. There must be a reason mate, Rafa before he left was looking to loan him out as well.

I don't think he ever wanted to come. His first interview was all about how he regretted leaving Roma and how he was only leaving because he realised Roma needed the money. It certainly wasn't because he had any desire to play in England, play in the premiership OR play for Liverpool.

I think if he had the desire to play for Liverpool he wouldn't have been pushed out the door as firmly as he has been and certainly not for the sort of money that we would have been able to recoup.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #33: Jun 16, 2012 04:42:56 pm
      The only way as a club we can come out of this saga with some credability is to stand firm, tell interested clubs pay up or F**k off.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #34: Jun 16, 2012 05:03:38 pm
      Surely if he is better than most of the central midfielders we currently have on our books our managers and coaching staff would have recognised the fact? So why would they then loan him out - try to sell him - try to force a sale. There must be a reason mate, Rafa before he left was looking to loan him out as well.

I don't think he ever wanted to come. His first interview was all about how he regretted leaving Roma and how he was only leaving because he realised Roma needed the money. It certainly wasn't because he had any desire to play in England, play in the premiership OR play for Liverpool.

I think if he had the desire to play for Liverpool he wouldn't have been pushed out the door as firmly as he has been and certainly not for the sort of money that we would have been able to recoup.

I will say this, I never wanted him in the first place because of his problems with injuries.

I'm just thinking about what we actually do with him now and there is no way I would be paying him £4 million to F**k off.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #35: Jun 16, 2012 05:08:02 pm
      We wouldn't be having this ongoing discussion and pissing cash up the wall if Rafa had kept his mouth shut about Gareth Barry and not unsettled Xabi Alonso.  :roll:
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #36: Jun 16, 2012 05:14:39 pm
      Firstly, I still think loaning him out two years was F***ing insane. He was just starting to get going after being injured.

But that's done now so it's all about how we deal with it in the present. Why on earth would we want to pay 4m to get rid of probably the third best midfielder in our squad? That would again be another insane decision.

Some club either comes in and meets our valuation or he comes back and gets on with it. Just like Modric did for Spurs and just like Tevez did for City.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #37: Jun 16, 2012 05:32:43 pm
      You guys are saying as if he is begging to come here and we are not allowing to come back. Has he even once this season told that he would like to come back to Liverpool?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #38: Jun 16, 2012 06:04:20 pm
      Aquilani has never been a special player in all fairness. I couldn't care less if he left. Any evidence shown last pre season is pretty redundant considering the quality of opposition he was playing against was poor. With Sigurdsson set to sign the possibilities of this man remaining at the club I think are pretty dead.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #39: Jun 17, 2012 08:24:48 am
      Till i actually hear him speak the words that he does not like being here or sn lfc player then i will support him.
      Like a pussy struck teenager pining after his 'first' girlfriend you can try to ignore the facts all you want but... (irrespective of who's to blame) 'she' don't want you buddy. Although, saying that...

... if you were to tie 'her' up and keep her in a cellar for two years she might learn to love you again.  >:D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #40: Jun 17, 2012 08:43:01 am
      Like a pussy struck teenager pining after his 'first' girlfriend you can try to ignore the facts all you want but... (irrespective of who's to blame) 'she' don't want you buddy. Although, saying that...

... if you were to tie 'her' up and keep her in a cellar for two years she might learn to love you again.  >:D

Never been pussy whipped........what are the facts and not just quotes pulled out of the air?
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #41: Jun 17, 2012 10:28:18 am
      Agree 100%

I don't get all the vitriol towards him I really don't, this situation is not of his own making.

Rafa buys him, he has a season recuperating.

Aquilani then spends the summer talking about how much he's looking forward to starting the new season with us.

Rafa gets sacked Roy comes in, Roy and Cecil go about buying Central Midfielders and Attacking Midfielders and ship Aquilani out on loan with an agreed fee.

This is the point where if that loan had not happened, he may have went on to become a real fans favorite.

Aquilani then spends his time saying he would like to remain in Italy but wouldn't be adverse to staying in Liverpool.

Kenny then comes in buys some Central Midfielders and Attacking midfielders.

Aquilani returns and seeks some reassurances as anyone would in the same situation, lets be honest the club had deemed him as not good enough the previous year by loaning him out and having an agreed fee.

Kenny then loans him out with an agreed fee again.

So whilst Aquilani may want to remain in Italy.

Can you f**king blame him ?

I certainly can't, for the past two years we have whored him around Italy and not really given him a chance.

Bring him back is what I say, he's better than most of our midfield options and better than most of them will ever be.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #42: Jun 17, 2012 12:31:42 pm
      Surely if he is better than most of the central midfielders we currently have on our books our managers and coaching staff would have recognised the fact?

Serious question.

Do you think Shelvey, Spearing, Henderson or Adam are better than Aquilani ?

TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #43: Jun 17, 2012 12:59:43 pm
      Serious question.

To be honest mate, I think in another year and half, Shelvey and Hendo will be as good if not better than Aqua.

Also I would try to groom the upcoming players rather than a tw*t who does not want to play for us.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #44: Jun 17, 2012 01:06:18 pm
      Also I would try to groom the upcoming players rather than a tw*t who does not want to play for us.

Well I'm not that precious, I'd much rather we have the best available players to us, to help us climb up the league.

And as Aquilani is possibly the 2nd-3rd best central midfielder on our books, I'd utilise him, it really is that simple for me.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #45: Jun 17, 2012 01:11:41 pm
      Serious question.

At the moment i think Aquilani is better than all of them.

Quick Reply