Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 18th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Suarez in English football:- Is he a Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen?

Read 20705 times
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: Suarez in English football:- Is he a Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen?
      Reply #69: Nov 20, 2012 09:33:46 pm
      If we get 4th I will be so delighted I wouldn't take your tenner mate
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #70: Nov 20, 2012 10:50:46 pm

Same lolol
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #71: Nov 20, 2012 10:56:22 pm

Just to clarify I did only promise the forum the tenner, not all of you lot! A small but important point...   :f_whistle:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,231 posts | 3396 
      Reply #72: Nov 20, 2012 10:56:42 pm
      No he's not a Messi nor is a Ronaldo or a Dalglish or a Maradona or a Cruyff or a Pele or a Lee Jones. He's Luis Suarez.

I'll be honest, I've said in the past I didn't think he was a great goalscorer. I think I've even said that in his player thread. But, I think I've actually been proven wrong because the majority of his goals (especially in this current run) have been natural finishers instincts. They may not be the tap ins that get accredited to the "fox in the box" but they've been scored because of his natural finishing instincts.

The goal that started the run, the one against Everton, was scored because of his run across the front post. Newcastle was scored because of his ability to stay onside and make that clever run. The skill afterwards showed he's more than just a finisher, but the composure he showed to go past Krul was that of a natural finisher. The goal against Chelsea was knowing where to be at the right time. The two against Wigan, again the first was knowing where to be - that's natural. The second was again his ability to stay onside and make the right run.

It's knowing when and where to run that makes great finishers. If he swapped the runs round for Wigan, then I doubt he'd of scored either. If, instead of standing in the middle of the box for Sterling's cross, he'd gone to the six yard box then one of the defenders or Al-Habsi would of most likely cleared the cross. If, instead of running through the middle for Enrique's through ball, he'd just stopped then he'd of still got the ball but with his back to goal and about twenty five yards from goal. He knows when to make the runs and when not to and that's what a great finisher does.

And now, he's showing his cool not only at finishing but his general all round play. There has been a lot less silly antics from him of late, has been less going to ground needlessly and has been a lot less greed with the ball which I do think he was guilty of for a lot of his time here. He's tried to do too much on his own but now he does seem to be linking up the play a lot better.

Can he bang in thirty goals this year? Yeah he can. Will he? Well that will depend on many factors but if we can stay clear of injuries (not only to him but other key players who are providing Luis with the chances), stay clear of those antics that get him in trouble and the odd touch of good fortune then yeah he will.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #73: Nov 20, 2012 11:39:25 pm
      No he's not a Messi nor is a Ronaldo or a Dalglish or a Maradona or a Cruyff or a Pele or a Lee Jones. He's Luis Suarez.

I'll be honest, I've said in the past I didn't think he was a great goalscorer. I think I've even said that in his player thread. But, I think I've actually been proven wrong because the majority of his goals (especially in this current run) have been natural finishers instincts. They may not be the tap ins that get accredited to the "fox in the box" but they've been scored because of his natural finishing instincts.

The goal that started the run, the one against Everton, was scored because of his run across the front post. Newcastle was scored because of his ability to stay onside and make that clever run. The skill afterwards showed he's more than just a finisher, but the composure he showed to go past Krul was that of a natural finisher. The goal against Chelsea was knowing where to be at the right time. The two against Wigan, again the first was knowing where to be - that's natural. The second was again his ability to stay onside and make the right run.

It's knowing when and where to run that makes great finishers. If he swapped the runs round for Wigan, then I doubt he'd of scored either. If, instead of standing in the middle of the box for Sterling's cross, he'd gone to the six yard box then one of the defenders or Al-Habsi would of most likely cleared the cross. If, instead of running through the middle for Enrique's through ball, he'd just stopped then he'd of still got the ball but with his back to goal and about twenty five yards from goal. He knows when to make the runs and when not to and that's what a great finisher does.

And now, he's showing his cool not only at finishing but his general all round play. There has been a lot less silly antics from him of late, has been less going to ground needlessly and has been a lot less greed with the ball which I do think he was guilty of for a lot of his time here. He's tried to do too much on his own but now he does seem to be linking up the play a lot better.

Can he bang in thirty goals this year? Yeah he can. Will he? Well that will depend on many factors but if we can stay clear of injuries (not only to him but other key players who are providing Luis with the chances), stay clear of those antics that get him in trouble and the odd touch of good fortune then yeah he will.

Great post highlighting how Luis is unique.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #74: Nov 20, 2012 11:49:28 pm
      Suarez is thriving on the hatred  in my opinion , his mindset is unusual in a way that other players would have packed it in by now and called for a transfer , but not our Luiz . Gollum regretted the day he called him a diver , only for the linesman the game was ours . And the more they denounce him the better he gets.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #75: Nov 21, 2012 08:41:38 pm
      That is a good assessment solodee and I agree with every word you say,he is the sort of player who will never lie down no matter how much sh*te is thrown at him.I am sorry to go off topic but I could never imagine Torres taking as much flak as Suarez has and still keep his head held high.Suarez has my utmost respect.

absolutely spot on. torres is far too selfish to keep fighting under such circumstances. i'm liking brendan rogers' style of game so far and the results have started to come. it's no coincidence that as soon as suarez stopped letting refs get to him - and cut out his diving - he has started to thrive. we are a striker, and a creative midfielder short of challenging for the top spot and that is not a bad place to be. would absolutely love to see stevie and suarez win the league with us before that tramp torres does with chavski.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #76: Nov 21, 2012 10:21:14 pm
      He doesn't have the physical talents of either messi or cr9 to compete with them strength,burst of pace etc

However I think he might have Better footballing brain like kk
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #77: Nov 22, 2012 12:14:43 am
      He doesn't have the physical talents of either messi or cr9 to compete with them strength,burst of pace etc

However I think he might have Better footballing brain like kk

Not sure I agree with the physical attributes aspect of your argument. Think he is certainly a lot stronger than even Messi is. Whether that is important in terms of the original point, I am not so sure.

Overall, it is an interesting debate made up by Bigmick. I find it fascinating to see the change in some of the opinions from the original posts to the posts made over the last few days.

I am of the belief that Suarez is a great player. I appreciate his ability due to the fact I watch him week in and week out, as a supporter of the club he plays for. However, someone like Messi and Ronaldo is not only admired by people who support their clubs, it's a worldwide admiration. Now, some may argue that Suarez isn't appreciated outside of the club due to his supposed negative image brought in largely in thanks to the media. While that may be the case, I don't think that paints the full picture. Before Suarez can be talked about in the same bracket as Messi and Ronaldo, he has to be admired outside the club. Not really sure how that happens, you will have to ask Messi and Ronaldo.

As much as I love Luis, can't see him being on the same level.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #78: Nov 22, 2012 12:31:03 am
      Not sure I agree with the physical attributes aspect of your argument. Think he is certainly a lot stronger than even Messi is. Whether that is important in terms of the original point, I am not so sure.

Overall, it is an interesting debate made up by Bigmick. I find it fascinating to see the change in some of the opinions from the original posts to the posts made over the last few days.

I am of the belief that Suarez is a great player. I appreciate his ability due to the fact I watch him week in and week out, as a supporter of the club he plays for. However, someone like Messi and Ronaldo is not only admired by people who support their clubs, it's a worldwide admiration. Now, some may argue that Suarez isn't appreciated outside of the club due to his supposed negative image brought in largely in thanks to the media. While that may be the case, I don't think that paints the full picture. Before Suarez can be talked about in the same bracket as Messi and Ronaldo, he has to be admired outside the club. Not really sure how that happens, you will have to ask Messi and Ronaldo.

As much as I love Luis, can't see him being on the same level.

The Barca and Madrid marketing machines make sure Ronaldo and Messi are constantly talked about outside the club. It is in their own interests as it generates cash. I have watched a lot of football and I don't see Ronaldo do mcuh apart form scoring a lot of goals and given the team he now plays for and his role in it, I am not surprised. Similarly for Messi, he scores a lot of goals but Barca are a once in a lifetime attacking team in an era that favours the attacker. I do think the 'superlatives' go over the top for these players but given the motivation behind it all I can see why. ANd really, people just parrot what they see or hear in the tabloid's - news sheets "apparently Kennedy shot himself, yeah looks like suicide" - If I ran with this articel you can be guaranteed some readers would run with it.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #79: Nov 22, 2012 11:41:47 am
      Suarez is one of the best players in the world !
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #80: Nov 22, 2012 04:38:55 pm
      The Barca and Madrid marketing machines make sure Ronaldo and Messi are constantly talked about outside the club. It is in their own interests as it generates cash. I have watched a lot of football and I don't see Ronaldo do mcuh apart form scoring a lot of goals and given the team he now plays for and his role in it, I am not surprised. Similarly for Messi, he scores a lot of goals but Barca are a once in a lifetime attacking team in an era that favours the attacker. I do think the 'superlatives' go over the top for these players but given the motivation behind it all I can see why. ANd really, people just parrot what they see or hear in the tabloid's - news sheets "apparently Kennedy shot himself, yeah looks like suicide" - If I ran with this articel you can be guaranteed some readers would run with it.

Yeah, I mean, fair point. Each day on the pitch, there are 11 players for the likes of Barca and Real Madrid that help the likes of Messi and Ronaldo tick. Maybe you could argue that Suarez is carrying our club at this present moment in time.

As DBV has said, Suarez is one of the best...ONE of the best. Would he be THE best, not so sure. That's not take away from the fella.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #81: Nov 24, 2012 02:33:03 am
      I think Messi is the best player in the world, no doubt. But I also think that, as others pointed out he has a lot of help in terms of feeding him passes and getting the ball to him for that perfect goal.  I'm sure some may disagree but I think if given the same role and opportunities as Messi, Suarez could have insane goal numbers too.

Talent and skill are evident in only a handful of the players in the world. Suarez does what he does on a team that is not as good as the others so yeah, I think Suarez IS a Messi or Ronaldo. I think if he can get some help and someone to feed those great passes like Iniesta, Fabregas or Xabi Alonso he will be a top 5 world player.

But their is a lot of sh*t that is true and not just bullshit banter. Suarez does dive and he does complain when challenged  A lot of that is just because of the type of competitor he is and its ok. But, at times he acts like a spoiled bi*ch and because of it legit pens are ignored because he's known as a diver.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #82: Nov 24, 2012 04:27:31 am
      Maybe a cool question would be - who would you put in a front three with Messi and Ronaldo in a hypothetical 'greatest forward line'? I immediately think of Suarez and also van Persie and David Villa, obviously Falcao, Ibrahimovic, Eto'o etc, these are the best strikers in the world to me. Maybe Ibra is a class above but I am sure if Suarez went to the same clubs he did and played with that calibre of players he would have scored plenty, his record at Ajax is absurd after all.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,528 posts | 8690 
      Reply #83: Nov 24, 2012 01:30:41 pm
      But their is a lot of sh*t that is true and not just bullshit banter. Suarez does dive and he does complain when challenged  A lot of that is just because of the type of competitor he is and its ok. But, at times he acts like a spoiled bi*ch and because of it legit pens are ignored because he's known as a diver.

So is Ronaldo though, in fact that w**ker is even worse than Suarez and whether you like or not it's all a part of their culture in football, should read up on South American football, I remember reading Diego Maradona's autobiography, he even states that the likes of argentinians, Uruguayans etc see it as part of the game to almost fool the ref, look at that handball in the 86 world cup, all the English screaming cheat, but Maradona didn't give a F**k, he got his team through to the semi's and that's all that matters to them.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #84: Nov 24, 2012 02:33:57 pm
      So is Ronaldo though, in fact that w**ker is even worse than Suarez and whether you like or not it's all a part of their culture in football, should read up on South American football, I remember reading Diego Maradona's autobiography, he even states that the likes of argentinians, Uruguayans etc see it as part of the game to almost fool the ref, look at that handball in the 86 world cup, all the English screaming cheat, but Maradona didn't give a f**k, he got his team through to the semi's and that's all that matters to them.

Thier version of sledging :D
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #85: Jan 02, 2013 11:49:52 pm
      Well on course to get 30+ this season in all competitions. He is on 19, isnt he? I think my money is safe, ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #86: Jan 02, 2013 11:52:24 pm
      Well on course to get 30+ this season in all competitions. He is on 19, isnt he? I think my money is safe, ;)

18 at the moment. Really hope he passes Torres' 33 and 24 in the league. Well capable of doing it and just needs another 10 leagues goals to hit 25.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #87: Jan 03, 2013 10:00:53 am
      Am really praying that real or barca not to come for him. If he perform like this for the rest of the season , i fear they will :(
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #88: Jan 03, 2013 10:03:02 am
      Am really praying that real or barca not to come for him. If he perform like this for the rest of the season , i fear they will :(

Not worried.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #89: Jan 03, 2013 10:38:53 am
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #90: Jan 03, 2013 11:02:25 am
      Because Luis is a stubborn s.o.b and will stick to the club. Dont think he would go anywhere in the world except Barca (lets face it, no one would say no to them), and they dont need him/want him.

Back on topic, if he plays Europa League, and Cup games, he will score  more than 30, maybe 40.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #91: Jan 03, 2013 11:13:33 am
      Just to clarify I did only promise the forum the tenner, not all of you lot! A small but important point...   :f_whistle:
      I can certify to that. It was a bet between us from July. He said there was no way he would hit 30+ in a season like Torres, and I suggested he backed it with money, because i tought he would get 30+. So K would pay if Luis got to the figure, I would pay if Luis didnt.

Quick Reply